Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PN50C7000 TV Missing Zoom Settings

by Senzin / December 20, 2010 9:42 AM PST

Samsung PN50C7000 50-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV (Black)
Latest firmware as of 12/19/2010

Short version:
Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 are disabled when the TV is in 720 or 1080 resolutions. This is a mistake as there are cases where the Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 modes are needed even when viewing content broadcast in HD resolutions. Please re-enable them.

Long version:
The TV has the following "size" modes:
16:9
Zoom 1
Zoom 2
Wide Fit
4:3
Screen Fit

When the TV is viewing 720 or 1080 content, the Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 modes are not available. However I have frequently seen HD content that requires them. The most common case is when a channel is broadcast in HD resolutions but is showing a program that has a 16:9 picture within permanent letterbox black bars. That is, the letterbox black bars were not added by the TV, but were added on the stations end or are on the original material they are broadcasting.

With such a show, if the TV is in 4:3 mode, then the picture is the right shape, but it has both letterbox and pillbox black bars (black bars on all sides). If I set it to 16:9 mode, then the left and right edges of the picture are stretched to the edges of the TV, but it still has the black bars on the top and bottom, so the shows picture is vertically squeezed, making people look short. All the other available modes distort the picture as well (remember, Zoom 1 and 2 are disabled with HD content).

Now, if a non-HD channel has a 16:9 show with letterbox black bars, then the 16:9 mode does the exact same thing as before. But because the channel is broadcasting in standard definition, the TV's resolution is set to 480, enabling Zoom 1 and Zoom 1. If I set it to Zoom 1, then the picture gets vertically stretched just enough to restore the shows 16:9 aspect while having it fill the entire screen.

Bottom line, there are cases where the Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 modes are needed even when viewing content broadcast in HD resolutions. Please re-enable them.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN50C7000 TV Missing Zoom Settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN50C7000 TV Missing Zoom Settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 20, 2010 12:54 PM PST

Senzin,

If HDMI cables are used, the picture is a pixel-by-pixel representation of the incoming signal, and may not be able to be adjusted. Component cables, on the other hand, may offer more options, since it's an analog signal that can take advantage of those options.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Senzin / December 20, 2010 1:21 PM PST

That doesn't sound right. With the HD signal over the HDMI cable, only the Zoom 1 and Zoom 2 options are disabled. The others, 16:9, Wide Fit, 4:3 and Screen Fit, all still work and they certainly are not all pixel-by-pixel representations. I'd say that the difference between 16:9 and 4:3 is even more dramatic than the difference between 16:9 and Zoom 1.

Collapse -
by Senzin / December 29, 2010 9:06 AM PST

Bump...

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 29, 2010 12:51 PM PST

Senzin,

There are some picture setting limitations by connection and based on what the TV can do 'real time' in processing that kind of picture. To explain the ins and outs of that would be quite a task, so I can't do that here.

However, the Zoom features aren't available on HDMI inputs, and Page 18 of the owner's manual lists out the picture options by connection. I posted that here for your convenience.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/zoommanual.jpg

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer, but there's not a way to re-enable them.

The other option if you're using a cable/sat box would be to adjust the aspect ratio on that. In some cases, they "auto" detect as a setting by default, but that can also be changed. But many of those boxes may also have a picture size or zoom option, which would be done prior to sending the signal to the TV.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.