HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Samsung PN50B650 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / June 11, 2009 7:12 AM PDT

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn50b650/4505-6482_7-33573755.html

Related products:
Samsung PN58B650

Below you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung PN50B650 in a dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may vary depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Cell Light: 10
Contrast: 99
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G50/R50

Advanced settings submenu
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: 0
Color space: Auto
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White balance submenu
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 25
R-Gain: 25
G-Gain: 21
B-Gain: 21

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital NR: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
1080 Full HD Motion Demo: Off
Film mode: Off**
Blue only mode: Off

--Setup menu
Game Mode: Off
Energy saving: Off
BD Wise: Off

**Black levels became lighter when we selected the Cinema Smooth option, so these settings only apply to the Off position, even for 1080p/24 sources.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PN50B650 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PN50B650 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Settings offer Improvement
by DutchBoydd / June 29, 2009 2:18 AM PDT

I convinced my buddy to buy to this plasma screen. Out of the box, the picture was certainly impressive. We then utilized your settings. I would say that this display is slightly better, but it's really subjective and probably would be tough on a blind test.

In any event, a dynamite plasma from one of the remaining manufacturers.

Collapse -
Great picture settings
by matrixee / July 2, 2009 9:15 PM PDT

I just installed this TV. Contrary to what the other poster found, these settings are much more realistic. In particular, the black levels are nearly perfect, and flesh tones are as good as on any set I've seen. As expected, other colors are also great, as the set itself is outstanding.

Collapse -
IR/BI issues?
by wingnutsglory / January 27, 2010 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: Great picture settings

I just purchased this TV (first plasma) and haven't gotten it set up yet. I'm concerned about burn-in/retention and want to believe what I've heard about modern plasmas not needed special treatment. Can anyone confirm what they've done and whether it's been effective?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Burn In
by jonathan062 / January 27, 2010 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: IR/BI issues?

It will get burn in but when you go to sleep and turn it on the next morning its gone. if you run the anti-image retention stuff for 15 minutes it will get rid of it too. Don't worry about it and enjoy your new T.V

Collapse -
Buzzing
by wingnutsglory / January 27, 2010 11:37 AM PST
In reply to: Burn In

Thanks!

Ok, got it set up (great picture, etc.), but there is a buzz. You can't hear it over the program's sound, but if there's a silent moment, it's audible from a seated position 7 feet away.

Is this normal for this model? I've read that some level of buzzing is expected, but my friend has a Panasonic plasma and doesn't have any buzz at all. I've read quite a few threads about Samsung plasma buzz, and am wondering if I've got a problem.

Collapse -
Buzz
by jonathan062 / January 27, 2010 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: Buzzing

I have a pn58b650 and it does buzz. But honestly I have my onkyo sr-tx-607 pushing Klipsch RF-82's, RC-52, RS-42's and RW10D. It is better than the movie theater in my opinion. And even late at night when I'm not listening to it loud I notice my refrigerator kick on more. Got to love open concept homes. I would not worry about it. I also have a 42 inch panasonic viera in my bedroom and it does not buzz at all. I love the panasonic and it was my benchmark, but the screen size i wanted left not to many options. I really believe the samsung to be the best value. I really love it. I would have had to go to the panasonic v10 to get a slightly better picture and an extra $800.00 no way I'm super pleased with my purchase.

Collapse -
Buzz
by wingnutsglory / January 27, 2010 2:15 PM PST
In reply to: Buzz

Good to know. Thanks for the input. Price/value was the main reason for me. Great picture. I'm sure I'll get over the buzz...just wasn't expecting it.

Collapse -
Samsung break-in
by straybeat / March 4, 2010 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: IR/BI issues?

About your concerns on IR and burn-in. I have 2 sets, one I broke in with the color slides for 200 hours, the other I played 6 hours of Xbox when the set was 2 hours old. Neither one has any problems whatsoever and I doubt that I was blessed with the 2 perfect plasmas. Samsung claims that you don't have to break-in their sets at all (although people argue that it's because Samsung doesn't want to admit that there are inherent problems with plasmas). I would say just do whatever makes you feel better.

Collapse -
Break-in
by wingnutsglory / March 4, 2010 9:36 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung break-in

In the end, I ran color slides for about 100 hours and have just used it as normal since. I occasionally notice a lingering image from a stationary logo, but it quickly dissipates.

Collapse -
break-in time
by edoliber2 / March 27, 2010 6:33 AM PDT

I am planning to buy the Samsung PN58B540 at Costco and read some of these posts regarding the break-in period. Although not stated anywhere in the manual, after calling Samsung, they informed me that there IS in fact a break-in period of 100 hrs at factory settings. You would think they might want to mention that in the manual!

Collapse -
No Samsung break-in required
by straybeat / March 27, 2010 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: break-in time
Collapse -
No break-in required is not completely true.
by edoliber2 / March 27, 2010 7:00 AM PDT

It may not make a difference not follow this, but Samsung's techs told me about an hour ago to keep the Plasma on factory settings for 100 hours. Whether it makes a difference or not, I don't know. Just wanted to post what I was told by the manufacturer. It IS recommended, but with other companys advertising "no break-in", they probably don't want to lose an edge by printing the actual break-in time.

Collapse -
Samsung break-in
by straybeat / March 27, 2010 7:01 AM PDT

It's possible they had too many complaints and changed their stance, who knows? LOL

Collapse -
samsung
by edoliber2 / March 27, 2010 7:17 AM PDT

Anyway, would you recommend Samsung? Going to buy the pn58b540 tomorrow. I returned my Philips 50" Plasma to Costco today after 4 years because it would not power up without unplugging it every time. Thanks to the old lifetime return policy I was grandfathered into! I haven't seen anything bad posted about them. Your input is appreciated.

Collapse -
Buy the Sammy!
by straybeat / March 27, 2010 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: samsung

We have the 58B650 and I wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe the 63 inch. LOL We also have a 50" Sansui plasma (Toshiba guts, LG glass) and a Mitsubishi 52144 LCD. Both of these sets are excellent and the Samsung still blows them away! As in other peoples reviews, ours was great right out of the box color-wise and ease of setup. We have a friend who's an ISF calibrator that keeps bugging us to let him set up our TV and we can't see a need for it? We wered even surprised at how good the sound was? Our Mits sounded like someone yelling into a coffee can, but the Samsung is just fine. I even joked with the wife about getting the 63 inch and she said, "Fine!" No argument at all, so that says a lot!

Collapse -
2 years later
by straybeat / April 9, 2012 7:53 PM PDT

Well, here we are 2 years later and I'm happy to report that I still have both plasmas and both are still working flawlessly. Neither have ever had any burn-in or IR and I don't suspect they ever will. I have even screwed up a number of times with the Samsung and fallen asleep for 5 or 6 hours with a static image on screen. No problems!

Collapse -
picture settings
by jonathan062 / October 26, 2009 12:54 PM PDT

Do these setting's also apply to the Pn58 b650? Also do I need to wait the 200 hrs some people recomend before calibration? And if so did your set have the 200 hrs on it?

Collapse -
Samsung PN50B550 video settings
by mpeimer / November 14, 2009 12:11 AM PST

I am looking for suggested settings for this TV. I have seen the PN50B650 review and settings. Would these be considered reasonable to start with? Is there a way for a novice to do this (with the help of software, etc.) to do your own calibration?

Collapse -
1080p/24 Glitch
by billreddington / January 4, 2010 4:25 AM PST

Hi,
I was wondering if there was any update on this glitch and if the newest firmware version may have corrected the problem with the 1080/24 Cinemasmooth setting? Thanks.

Collapse -
glitch
by jonathan062 / January 4, 2010 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: 1080p/24 Glitch

I have a pn58b650. And I don't think this happens anymore. I know the picture settings stay the same as were. This is an awesome tv and its definitely the best bang for Buck. The picture does not disappoint

Collapse -
1080p/24
by straybeat / March 4, 2010 8:36 AM PST
In reply to: 1080p/24 Glitch

I have to go with Glitch also one this one. We watch 5 to 10 Blu-rays a week and our 58B650 has never reset the settings. I'm running firmware version 1017, so maybe this version fixed it?

Collapse -
ISF Calibration and POST Firmware updates
by DaBreeze4u / February 26, 2011 4:31 PM PST

I have the PN 58B650. It's been ISF Calibrated. Will new TV firmware updates affect the calibrated settings that are now set for Standard and Movie Modes ?

Also, how will other calibrated TV inputs for Bluray, HD/DVD'and regular DVD players new firmware updates affect the TV's calibrated settings ? I have the Panasonic DMP35 Bluray player, Toshiba A-35 HD/DVD Player, and Oppo DV 970 dvd player. It's all connected via HDMI to the Onkyo TXVR 805 Receiver.

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.