Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Plasma TV - Won't turn on

by ds_richter / July 6, 2010 2:53 AM PDT

I have Samsung 50" plasma tv model HP-S5053. The unit would not power on and blue light was out. Tried a different power source which did not change result. But now if I unplug the unit for a few minutes then plug back in, tv will power on for a few minutes then turn off. Also, now when I unplug for a few minutes and replug, it powers on automatically (without touching remote or power button), then dies again. In any event, it won't turn or stay on.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Plasma TV - Won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Plasma TV - Won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Plasma TV - Won't turn on
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 6, 2010 4:09 AM PDT

ds_richter,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

Unfortunately, there's not much I can suggest in the way of troubleshooting. It'd probably be best to have a technician come out and inspect your unit. If you'd like one dispatched to you, one can be arranged by calling 800-SAMSUNG.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HP-S5053x/xaa
by Puttfordough69 / July 14, 2010 6:43 AM PDT

Interestingly, I am having the same exact problem but my plasma won't power on at all. When I press the power button on the front of the TV the blue light blinks, tv clicks once, then the light turns off.

I find it ironic that I purchased my plasma (Circuit City) about 20 monnths ago (November of 2008). I called Samsung support and they claim that this is not a known problem but it is a known problem on the LCD Displays. I wonder if they used the same size capacitors in the plasma as they did in the LCD Displays. It's all over the internet, this is a problem.

I was so close to buying a Panasonic, instead I have a $2,000 investment that hangs on a wall that has died in 20 months and will likely have to fork out $300-$500 for repairs.

John
Pleasanton, CA.

Collapse -
Samsung Plasma
by sassy_sunny1 / October 6, 2011 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: HP-S5053x/xaa

I've got the same kinda issue going on. One day it was fine the next it won't come on. It goes through the power on tune repeatedly trying to power on but won't. Or it goes through a series of clicking sounds trying to turn on. Once it's on it's best to not power it down cause it may not come back on later. I also has tried disconnect power sources to reboot it but it's unable to power on.

Collapse -
My advice is to remove those from service before
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2011 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Plasma

Before something worse fails. There is some well discussed BAD CAPS issue but no one can see those over the internet and Samsung has been covering some even out of warranty. But folk that let it keep clicking are risking damage that won't be covered.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung plasma tv wont turn on
by frogbog / June 15, 2012 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung Plasma

I also have had this problem. I have a PN50C8000YF top of the line 3D plasma TV. After 1.5 years (outside of warranty) the problem occured as described. I took it to the Samsung recommended service representative in the area. At first he thought it was the power board but it turned out to be the main computer board. It had failed and no longer could send the power on command to the power supply board. $344 later I had my set back. If I hadn't paid so much for it in the first place I would have been tempted to buy a totally new 50" TV for less than $1000.

Collapse -
If you wouldn't mind. . .
by AdaMeyer / June 16, 2012 1:38 PM PDT

I've got a Samsung plasma in the same family as yours, and just posted about this issue.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-565756/pn50c6500tf-plasma-power-cycle-issue-just-over-1-year-old/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

In the post, I've linked to a youtube video of my issue. Is this what was happening to your plasma also? I'm looking to repair this myself, and was wondering if by "main computer board" you might mean the logic board?

Our TVs are similar and use many of the same boards, and I've found this listing of the boards in our sets, http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-pn50c8000yfxza

Were any of these parts the ones replaced on your TV?

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
samsung plasma TV wont turn on
by frogbog / June 17, 2012 12:37 AM PDT

My TV went off. when I tried to turn it back on the red power light went on and it clicked 3 times then went off. Same ting happened each time.
I looked at your parts list. My TV required the "main PCB" # BN94-03313A with a list price of $217Cdn. Slightly different PN than the one listed on your post.
I looked at the old board and could see no obvious external indication of failure.
When I originnally called Samsung, their position was that it was out of warranty. They provided the address for the nearest technician.

Collapse -
Part number replaced
by frogbog / December 4, 2012 11:50 PM PST

Replaced "Main PCB" Part # BN94-03313A at $217 Cdn
Labor - $110 Cdn
Taxes - $42.51 Cdn
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
samsung Hp-s5053 plasma
by Zeauxie / June 3, 2013 12:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Part number replaced

Mine doesn't power up at all. It was working one day and not the next? Based on my research it appears to be the power source board.? Please let me know what you think? Greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Collapse -
You hit it right on.
by scotthusfeldt / April 12, 2012 3:43 AM PDT

My computer after about 20 months just did the same thing and i am wondering what you did with the problem. Did samsung stand behind there product or did you just hire a technician to come out and fix it?

Collapse -
Here's the Samsung Settlement link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2012 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: You hit it right on.
http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

Many never asked Samsung about this. Some are blissfully unaware they should ask.

In other works, always call these in and ask.

My best advice is to remove from service till it's fixed.
Bob
Collapse -
Settlement
by schlievedan / January 13, 2013 7:06 AM PST

Thanks for the link. I think that pretty messed up on Samsungs part. The TV's in the settlement are for manufacture dates 2008 and earlier. But it seems the same problem is happening in later models as well (like my 2011 model). The problem seems to appear shortly after the 1 year warranty expires. Bad business.

Collapse -
I wish I could agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2013 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: Settlement

The CAPACITOR PLAGUE was caused by other than Samsung. I will not do more than help you figure out why this happened.
Bob

Collapse -
I clicked on the link and this is what I got
by ShawnAnthony14 / December 6, 2013 11:39 AM PST

Error 403--Forbidden

From RFC 2068 Hypertext Transfer Protocol -- HTTP/1.1:

10.4.4 403 Forbidden

The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it. Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated. If the request method was not HEAD and the server wishes to make public why the request has not been fulfilled, it SHOULD describe the reason for the refusal in the entity. This status code is commonly used when the server does not wish to reveal exactly why the request has been refused, or when no other response is applicable.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 1249 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2013 2:43 PM PST

Since this thread is more than 1249 days old, links may die. Sorry if I seem short on the BAD CAPS discussion but it's been cooked, re-hashed, re-fried so many times it's a little old.

Start a new post with full details, model number and a transaction number if there is something new to discuss.
Bob

Collapse -
Same Problem
by FB2407 / December 4, 2012 10:25 AM PST

I have the same problem as well. 43" Plasma...had it for 18 months...shut off and will not turn back on...clicks after I unplug and plug back in. But after the clicking stops, the TV still does not turn on. Sorry to hear it was a $2000 investment for you. Mine was $550 but I am very upset with Samsung and the way they handled my call. If this is a problem (as I've seen all over the internet) you would think they would help. There is a class action suit against them for certain model numbers (mine is not included) for the same problem I am having.

Along with mine, my brother had one that lasted 18 months (what a coincidence). His was a problem with the picture. Samsung was unwilling to assist him too.

Apparently their quality is bad, and their customer loyalty is even worse. I have a Sony TV in my living room that works great. My brother has an LG that works great. I will NEVER buy a Samsung again.

Sorry to hear your troubles. I just wanted to let you know that it has happened to many and the only thing we can do is not buy Samsung products

Collapse -
Samsung hd s5053 plasma has no power whatsoever
by Zeauxie / June 3, 2013 12:02 PM PDT

I've read many forums and everything leads me to believe it's the power source board? I'm getting nothing at all, no blinking lights, no power at all.?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.