TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Samsung Plasma PN60E530 or Vizio LED E601i-A3

by Wasmer / November 16, 2012 8:42 PM PST

Need opinions between just THESE 2. No alternative suggestions please, it has to be one if these 2. The Samsung plasma or the Vizio LED? Which is better? Research on the Internet has told me go with Plasma, everyone I speak to in person says LED. I'm looking for the better picture quality, and reliability. Lighting is not an issue, it will be in my rec room where I always watch TV the dark. It will mostly be used for cable and occasionally streaming from an Apple TV. Give me your opinions please. Thanks!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Plasma PN60E530 or Vizio LED E601i-A3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Plasma PN60E530 or Vizio LED E601i-A3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Plasma gets dinged for a reason, Vizio another reason.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 1:23 AM PST

While those that sell Plasma downplay image retention will do that, it's still an issue. Since you wrote rec room any chance of game consoles or images that don't move or fill the screen and you don't want plasma.

Vizio is cheap and it's sad to write that my circle of folk all have suffered early failures. I can't say I'd buy either.
Bob

Collapse -
I knew this would happen...
by Wasmer / November 17, 2012 6:02 AM PST

Ok, didn't answer my question so let me explain further. No, I will not be using a gaming console.

According to this sites TV decision guide/quiz I used it highly recommended plasma over others. I'm going off these types of sites for reviews, not stores selling them. Personal friends I've talked to our recommending their Vizio's.

In this sites top 10 LEDS there are Vizio's. Both of these TV's on here have "Very Good" ratings by the website.

If no one can help me decided between the 2, then here are my limits, please tell me what you WOULD recommend.

I'm replacing an old 50", so I want at least that size, preferably larger. Due to financial reasons I'm limited to Best Buy or Walmart, where I have no interest plastic. My limit is $1000. Any recommendations I can afford will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Collapse -
You are in a dark man cave- that means plasma
by Pepe7 / November 17, 2012 10:30 AM PST

FWIW, the Vizio LEDs trail most of the other manufacturers LED models in PQ. What you are probably seeing are ratings based on the combination of price/feature set on the newer Vizio LED smart HDTVs. I would choose Samsung if I were to pick an LED model, not Vizio. Vizio still has build quality/support issues they aren't dealing with.

For overall PQ, I would choose plasma in a 'man cave' environment. Hands down it will knock the pants off of anything you can throw at it. FWIW, right now BB has the Panasonic UT50 for $799. It has the fast motion phosphors, also found in their more expensive models. IMO it would be a better choice than the E530 Samsung (although I see you're looking at the 60" version listed now for $999).

Basically, between the two you've asked about above, I would choose the Samsung plasma. Ideally you would choose the slightly smaller Panasonic plasma since it provides better PQ.

Collapse -
Nod back to Plasma.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 11:03 AM PST

You cleared up a lot with your reply but keep in mind the designs we are seeing are not 10 or 20 year designs. If the maker offers a paltry 1 year warranty, keep shopping.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
That's what I was looking for!
by Wasmer / November 17, 2012 12:32 PM PST

Thanks! it is the dark man cave and Walmart also helped me finalize my pick, they pulled all the Vizio's to stock up for their black Friday sale. I also noticed they have the Panasonic Plasma TC-P60U50 $100 cheaper than the Samsung, and found that cnet has a direct comparison of the 2 and the Panasonic has the better pciture, it may not be the same as the 50" as best buy, but at this point, I'd love the extra 10", it's a large man cave, so I believe I've made my choice!

Thanks again!

Collapse -
Good choice(!)
by Pepe7 / November 17, 2012 11:08 PM PST

Not only did you get the extra 10", but you also got the fast switching phosphors. That's where plasma technology is much superior in displaying fast motion scenes over LCD-LED.

Enjoy!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.