Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Plasma Display Problem

by apowderhound / June 29, 2009 6:31 PM PDT

Just want to see if anyone has had this problem...

I've had my pn42a450 for 1 year and 37 days,and last night it developed horizontal distortion along the bottom 2/5's of the screen. It's exactly like you would have seen on an old analog crt when watching a weak signal. Ghosting of the image, and the image at the top of the screen "rolling" up under the bottom of the screen. The issue is present whether watching otahd, dvd over composite, or pc over hdmi. I've reset the unit, and unplugged it.

Here's a pic of the distorted screen: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2568/3674879080_0a5b22c75c_b.jpg

It seems to be heat related as the display is fine for the first few minutes of operation, then begins to creep up the screen until it covers almost half the screen.

So what do you think,ever heard of this and is it worth trying to repair? Or does the samsung go in the landfill?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Plasma Display Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Plasma Display Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Plasma Display Problem
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / June 30, 2009 2:33 AM PDT

apowderhound,

Lets try and not toss the TV into the landfill. There is in fact a firmware update for the TV on its product page on Samsung.com.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/support.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=plasmatv&model_nm=PN42A450P1D&language=&cate_type=all&dType=D&mType=FM&vType=&prd_ia_cd=02010200&disp_nm=PN42A450&model_cd=PN42A450P1DXZA&menu=download

Follow the instructions to update the set and see if that fixes the issue. If not I suggest you contact 800-SAMSUNG and have a tech come out and see if they can fix the issue.

- CE_Tech

Collapse -
Welp It's Dead
by apowderhound / July 1, 2009 4:01 PM PDT

I know I'm in trouble when a samsung rep says "update the firmware and call a tech."

So I tried the firmware update, didn't work. The tech I was referred to by samsung has an hourly rate so high that I think that by the time they come out, diagnose that it's the chip on the left side*** overheating, order the chip and replace it, the cost will be as much as a new TV. DOH!

*** I know it's the chip on the left side because when I put my face to the TV and blow into it directly on the heatsink the problem goes away completely for about 30 seconds. Definitely a heat dissipation issue with the PN42A450.

Gonna see it if the local independent electronics repair guy can/will solder a CPU fan over both heatsinks (can't break it any more than it already is, right?), otherwise I'll be buying an LCD tv for the next round which I read runs a bit cooler.

WARNING, DIATRIBE BELOW...

The next tv probably won't be a samsung based on this experience with the brand. I think a TV that I work and save for, should last longer than one year and thirty seven days. When I purchased the unit in its first month on the market I expected an unspoken commitment from Samsung that they would make a quality product that would have a reasonable lifespan. Now, I wonder if some of those who bought this unit later than I, will have the same problem in time. It makes me dissapointed in the "disposeable" nature of our society, one in which this sort of thing is acceptable and even expected based on the response I get from the manufacturer*.

*No ill will meant towards the samsung mods here, I appreciate the response and have read other posts from you and thought them and this forum in general to be a great help.

Collapse -
Welp It's Dead
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 2, 2009 6:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Welp It's Dead

apowderhound,

I appreciate the feedback, frustration and even the forewarned diatribe.

If you log on and register the television online, you should qualify for an additional 3 months coverage (US customers only). It sounds to me like you might still be covered. *ahem*

1. Register your product online
2. Call for a service tech help (800-SAMSUNG) and note your additional three months of warranty, and if they give you a hassle,
3. Insist on a service ticket number, provide it here, and I'll escalate that for you.

I can't promise anything, since I'm not in service, but I'd like to try - even if you remain resolve in your statement.

--HDTech

Collapse -
(NT) same problem been fixed twice now obver it
by tashangel69 / May 29, 2011 6:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Welp It's Dead
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.