Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PC Share Manager 4.2 worse than no server at all

by goon6801 / September 8, 2010 10:09 AM PDT

After buying a BD-C6800 for its streaming capabilities and wiring it to my home network router, I installed the latest version of PC Share Manager (ver. 4.2) on my Vista box, found my device, enabled it to access the PC Share server, built my database of media, and went to my BD player. The BD finds the server, easily browses through all media on my computer and will start to play movies from with a wide variety of formats. GREAT SO FAR!

Then the fun begins. EVERY single movie I have tried to run eventually stops in the middle somewhere. For a few seconds there's an error box on the screen that says "Device disconnected" or some such. And then the movie is over. Sometimes it happens 3 minutes in, sometimes 20. But it always happens. A couple times it randomly skips ahead to the next movie - and not the beginning of the next movie either, but somewhere in the middle. When I copy one of these movies to a thumb drive and run it from the USB port on the front of the BD player, no problems so far - it's something in the PC Share set up.

Based on a lengthy search of this problem on the web it seems that this is a huge problem for lots of people, yet Samsung is doing nothing about it. I might as well box up the BD and get a refund. It's totally useless as a media streaming device for media on my home network.

Has ANYONE had any success in solving this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PC Share Manager 4.2 worse than no server at all
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PC Share Manager 4.2 worse than no server at all
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung PC Share Manager 4.2 Problems
by abbottk / September 29, 2010 8:16 PM PDT

I have exactlky the same message using PC Share Manager 4.2 and Samsung TV UE37C6530.
Even when playing jpegs after a few minutes I get the "Device Disconnected" message. And I have confirmed there is nothing wrong with either my PC or the network. (Interestinmgly use a Mezzmo server and all is 100% ok). Help!

Collapse -
Samsung BD6500T & PC Share Manager
by WebClient / January 15, 2011 5:52 AM PST

I am experiencing the same issue. Interestingly, I can run Netflix without incident! I've hardcoded IP addresses, I've updated firmware, I've reset my entire network. It was working great for about 5 days. I've even exchanged the Samsung unit... same issue. I called Samsung when I had the first unit and they said maybe it needed to be serviced. A next step I will try is a hardwire network cable to the router. If netflix works, it means the path through the router to the internet is working...so it should work to the PC. I've changed firewalls and even hardcoded mac addresses to the router...nothing. What am I not thinking of?

Collapse -
Samsung BD6500T & PC Share Manager -Update
by WebClient / January 15, 2011 8:45 AM PST

Interestingly, I've taken the player and hard-wired a CAT5 from it to the router/gateway. The Samsung PC Share software on the computer sees the player and vice-versa. Still, hard-wired, the device disconnects and the streaming video fails.

Thoughts out there?

Collapse -
Same problem!
by johnnyk0 / January 26, 2011 12:25 PM PST

I'm having the same problem. For those running PC Share Manager, I recommend you get Serviio instead. It's free, lightweight, and runs beautifully. I've streamed tons of video to my BD-C6800 with few drops, wirelessly, from a laptop one floor above.

However, I can't get it to stream from my NAS box - a MyDitto 2 TB unit with a DLNA server built-in. Wired or wireless, I drop as described in the original post, with the "Device disconnected" message, any where from a few minutes in to 20+ minutes (but usually in the first 5 or 6).

I can stream the same files from the NAS box to my laptop with VLC, and it works great - a hiccup now and then, but never a dropped connection.

To me, this says that it's a software bug in their implementation of the DLNA server. It's just not very forgiving - if the connection slows, it should adjust or at least retry, not quit right away. Samsung, are you listening? WIll there be a fix for this in the next firmware update?

Oh good. Thanks.

Collapse -
Samsung BD6500T & PC Share Manager
by WebClient / January 27, 2011 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem!

I did discover an additional item and since modifying it, I haven't had a dropped session (although I'm not 100% convinced yet). I had microsoft os updates turned on to automatic. An update was performed and the wireless on the PC was turned on (which I had off because of its proximity to the modem). The wireless was also trying to connect. Both of them were clashing. Since disabling the wireless card on the PC, I haven't had any drops.

Collapse -
BD-C6800 media share
by lapplegate1224 / February 7, 2011 12:40 AM PST

I am having a different problem. I have a wired connection through a BEFSR41 linksys cable/dsl router. I am using vista. Neither the PC share manger or BD-C6800 player will see each other. The player does not show up in the network properties or the pc share and the player will only connect to the internet, not the computer. The network test on the BD player shows that both local and internet are OK.I don't know if it is the player or the configuration.

Collapse -
BD-C6800 media share
by 900spg / February 20, 2011 8:26 AM PST
In reply to: BD-C6800 media share

I'm in the same situation, I can't get the BD-C6800 player to see the PC Share Manager. This is the reason why I wanted the device, so it has been a complete let down so far. I have tried Serviio also and I can get Serviio to find the player but the player never finds serviio. Trying from Windows XP.

Collapse -
When all servers don't work
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2011 8:57 AM PST

I begin to ask about firewalls in the routers and the PC.

Collapse -
by 900spg / February 20, 2011 12:13 PM PST

Firewall in router is disabled and I also disabled the firewall on both PC's that I used to try and connect. I can ping the BD-c6800 from the pc's but I can never get the bd-c6800 to see the pc's.

Collapse -
The next thing I have to check is when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2011 4:07 AM PST

Folk assign addresses as well as enable "client isolation." Since that feature changes with routers I can't guess what it is in your system.
Bob

Collapse -
by 900spg / February 20, 2011 12:13 PM PST

Firewall in router is disabled and I also disabled the firewall on both PC's that I used to try and connect. I can ping the BD-c6800 from the pc's but I can never get the bd-c6800 to see the pc's.

Collapse -
BD-c6800 PC Share over wireless conection
by 900spg / February 21, 2011 3:58 AM PST

I am able to get PC Share or Serviio working when the bd-c6800 is connected directly to the router using ethernet. The PC is connected to same router using ethernet as well. As soon as I switch the bd-c6800 to the wireless connection I'm no longer able to see the bd-c6800 from the pc or the pc from the bd-c6800.

I'm assuming that it is some type of issue with the bd-c6800 broadcasting to the network from the wireless connection? Some people on the internet seem to be using the wireless to connect to PC Share. Is it possible that I need to configure my wireless router in a specific way to make this work?

Collapse -
Or there is a CLIENT ISOLATION feature in the router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2011 4:14 AM PST

This area is where I would have to find the manual on the router.
Bob

Collapse -
More than likely...
by geekchicks / February 21, 2011 7:12 AM PST

since one is hard wired via ethernet and the other is on wireless (when you enable wireless on the blu-ray player) your router is now considering both devices to be on different networks and will not allow them to communicate. If both computer and blu-ray player are connected wirelessly does it then see the blu-ray player?

Collapse -
Re: More than likely
by 900spg / February 21, 2011 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: More than likely...

I don't have a wireless card so I can't test that. I just plan to return the unit at this point. Way too much work to get it to do what is advertised.

Collapse -
Network connection
by lapplegate1224 / February 21, 2011 4:14 AM PST

I finally gave up on the network connection. I got an external HD and copied all media to it. Works well through the USB. Internet connection is fine, just local connection that doesn't work. I also disabled all firewals, etc. PC just wouldn't see 6800 and vice versa.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.