Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung PC Share Manager 4.2 totally useless

by rosebud111 / August 31, 2010 1:50 PM PDT

I don't know where to start ...

I purchased a Samsung 6400 LED tv and this is my second Samsung flat panel, first one had severe clouding and had to be thrown out ... c'est la vie. Anyways, I am very pleased with the new set except for the advertised PC sharing which plain and simply is an abomination.

Firstly, try and locate the latest Samsung PC Share Manager to download from the Canadian site and you will have a hard time finding it. Once installed the site that PC Share Manager shows the latest software to be located does not even show any PC Share Manager http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloadsupportDownloadMain.do

Once located the latest version which is supposed to be 4.2 the install and setup is very straightforward and the TV is recognized ... but here are the real problems.

Most importantly it just plain does not work. I have tried several AVI files and each and every time the viewing experience is interrupted with a "device disconnected" message and the viewing is finished.

When the PC Share Manager 4.2 is running I constantly and at random intervals receive a message "Network Device" and underneath "Media Player" followed by selected "PC Share Manager". This message appears regardless of the source selected, so if you are watching a DVD it still pops up randomly. WHY???? I know I have enabled the server and do not need to be constantly lambasted with a useless and annoying message. Solution, I guess is to close PC Share Manager or disable the server ... unnecessary since I wish to leave it running and not be annoyed.

The TV Source List shows several redundant and nonexistent DLNAs that are associated with my PC and also shows the only one that is warranted which is PC Share Manager. Each time I have to select PC Share Manager as the chosen device.

How could SAMSUNG do something like this to such a great TV ... I truly hope someone from SAMSUNG can address these issues since the support you reach over the phone is totally ... totally useless and clueless but very polite.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung PC Share Manager 4.2 totally useless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung PC Share Manager 4.2 totally useless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / September 1, 2010 3:51 AM PDT

rosebud111,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with PC Share Manager. I will try help you with this issue as best I can.

Here is a direct link to download the latest PC Share Manager along with instructions on setting it up:

http://ars.samsung.com/customer/usa/jsp/faqs/faqs_view_us.jsp?AT_ID=145743&PROD_ID=41&PG_ID=-1&PROD_SUB_ID=0

I know you already downloaded the program, but this should help for future reference.

I'm not to sure why "Network Device""Media Player" keeps popping up on your TV, but if I would have to guess, I would think that the TV is loosing connection to the home router. How do you have your TV connected to your home network? If its through WiFi, you may be experiencing some interference that may be causing this issue.

I also have a Samsung TV that offers DLNA capabilities, and I too see that the TV is recognizing several different DLNA servers associated with my network. However, this is because I have had other DLNA streaming programs installed on my PC in the past. It seems to me that the TV's software is recognizing other DLNA capable software on your PC, which is then showing up on your Source List.

These issues are not necessarily associated with the TV, since there are plenty of other factors at work here. Although I cannot go into detail, I can say that if you run a Windows 7 PC, you can also stream content through Windows Media Player (Media Server) to the TV.

--CETech

Collapse -
Links to download instructions are broken
by russlaf / October 4, 2010 3:19 AM PDT

Tried to download instructions from the referenced site - got a "Page Not Found" message.

Collapse -
How can you remove it from your PC?
by daspitzer / December 23, 2010 5:12 AM PST

I installed the Samsung DLNA software, and I want it off of my laptop. (Windows 7)

I used the "uninstall" in windows control panel, and that seemed to remove the configuration utility, but no matter what I do, the service must still me active - it shows up on my TV and plays whenever my laptop is on the network.

I just want to get rid of the server.

Help!

Collapse -
Problem with PC Share Manager
by tommmyyyyy / December 28, 2011 3:18 AM PST

Hey,

Collapse -
Problem with PC Share Manager
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2011 4:08 AM PST

tommmyyyyy,

Collapse -
SAMSUNG PC SHARE MANAGER
by hhache / June 12, 2012 11:07 AM PDT

Mine works just fine...my issue is, when I use PC Share I can stream a movie, but if I put it on a network drive, it says "unsup[ported format". But I just played itin PC Share?
I lookrefd for supported formatgs, and this mkv is in the correct patamiters.

Oh, and with some formats that play both ways...I can only fast forward under PC Share,not from my network drive.
Here is the file info:

Pilot.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 2
File size : 430 MiB
Duration : 1h 12mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 830 Kbps
Movie name : Episode 1 - Pilot
Encoded date : UTC 2011-09-17 11:25:52
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.6.0 ('Still Crazy After All These Years') built on Mar 10 2011 02:50:32
Writing library : libebml v1.2.0 + libmatroska v1.1.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode : Variable
Nominal bit rate : 700 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.032
Writing library : x264 core 114 r1924 08d04a4
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=700 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=25000 / vbv_bufsize=25000 / nal_hrd=vbr / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Collapse -
Interesting but...?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2012 2:54 AM PDT

Folk continue to post in this thread but this app is consider "basic". That is, just enough to do some but not all things. And as far as MKV goes, you're never such if a MKV will work as MKV is a container of many encoded files and does not ensure it will work.

Maybe these makers should have never gone digital?
Bob

Collapse -
Point? ...Bob?
by BuriedBone / March 26, 2014 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting but...?

I think hhache is aware that Matroska (*.mkv) is a container Bob. I'm pretty sure that's why he went into such great lengths explaining exactly what his MKV file contained.
I've actually had good luck playing back MKV files on my Samsung 46" 5 series LCD television.
The big troubles for me started with Samsung's dlna software "PC Share Manager & Allshare". How did it ever become accepted into the Alliance? It's weak at best.

Collapse -
Years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2014 10:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Point? ...Bob?

Please start a new discussion on what you want to cover.
This thread is more than 1302 days old so I may not remember all that was in play back then.
Bob

Collapse -
Here Here...
by BuriedBone / March 26, 2014 10:18 AM PDT

Yeah downer about the link going nowhere. Both yours and the one in the Samsung reply. I can't even get a signal happening on my TV from my computer network. There's no manual that I could find in regards to PC Share Manager. The manual that came with my TV has more information about mounting of my TV to the wall than it does about the dlna software that is supposed to be the future for household television.

The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a nonprofit collaborative trade organization established by Sony in June 2003, that is responsible for defining interoperability guidelines to enable sharing of digital media between multimedia devices.
DLNA uses Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) for media management, discovery and control. UPnP defines the type of device that DLNA supports ("server", "renderer", "controller") and the mechanisms for accessing media over a network. The DLNA guidelines then apply a layer of restrictions over the types of media file format, encodings and resolutions that a device must support.
As of February 2013, over 18,000 different device models have obtained "DLNA Certified" status, indicated by a logo on their packaging and confirming their interoperability with other devices. It was estimated that by 2010 more than 440 million DLNA-certified devices, from digital cameras to game consoles and TVs, were installed in users' homes.

That's a whole lot of frustrated users! - summary: FAIL

Collapse -
All this is now out of date.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2014 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Here Here...
Collapse -
by rosebud111 / September 1, 2010 1:32 PM PDT

Thanks very much for your interest and response Samsung Tech. Please let me be clear, the LED TV is awesome but this PC Share Manager issue is noted to be a major problem by many people.

My TV is connected via a wired ethernet connection to a Dlink Dir-655 router. The computer is relatively old P4 3.2 processor and I run Windows XP SP3.

The exact message that pops up when any movie watching gets interrupted is "Network Device Disconnected ..."

The pop-up messages informing me "Network Device ... PC Share Manager" are constant and random.

The link you provide is to the exact version 4.2 that I am running.

I hope there might be some resolution to this problem.

Collapse -
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / September 1, 2010 2:10 PM PDT

rosebud111,

Its my pleasure to help and glad to hear you love your TV Happy

That is very odd indeed. Unfortunately, I do not have any other possible solutions to your issue on my end. At this point, I would suggest that you contact Samsung service in your region and perhaps have a tech come out and look at the issue first hand. Although this can be any number of things, the techs usually have the equipment to diagnose and fix the problem. I'm very sorry I was not of any further assistance.

--CETech

Collapse -
by rosebud111 / September 1, 2010 2:58 PM PDT

CETech, If at all possible please contact the developers and inform them that there are serious issues with PC Share Manager. I find it hard to believe how a company like Samsung can release such software.

I have a ref. number to this problem and I was to get a call back from Samsung level 3 support two weeks ago ... and still waiting. Plan to give them a call tomorrow.

Please let me know why you think a Samsung tech would be able to sort out and assist with this problem? I would go with in a jiffy ... but somehow doubt it will be useful ...

I installed a trial version of a DLNA server program called Mezzo and it has worked so far but there are two of them in the source list?
It does not disconnect like Samsung PC Share Manager and it is possible to watch a movie in its entirety ... and no DEVICE CONNECTED nag messages as well. However, it did abend playing an RMVB file type but I've only had it for a day.

Collapse -
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / September 2, 2010 12:08 AM PDT

rosebud111,

Since there is no way that I can diagnose the issue on my end, I can only assume that a tech that can physically see the device and diagnose it from there would be needed.

There are other streaming DLNA programs on the market that do work with the Samsung DLNA devices. Unfortunately, since they are not developed by Samsung, we cannot provide support nor can we recommend their usage.

You stated that you have a reference number for a tech to come out. Would it be possible for you to send that information to me and I'll see what I can do on my end?

With all this said, I'll make sure that the appropriate departments are aware of the issues you are having with the Share Manager.

--CETech

Collapse -
DLNA issues
by john_swan / September 1, 2010 3:14 PM PDT

I too (in Australia) also have the problem with the TV constantly interrupting my viewing to tell me that Share Manager is available. Or at least I did until I disabled Share Manager completely (which does effectively make it useless).

Other DLNA servers running - Twonky x 2 on QNAP NAS servers & Windows media server - do not cause the constant notification pop-ups.

Network attachment is via Netgear powerline adapters which leads me to a couple of other issues....

1) Using the wireless dongle the TV could not see ANY DLNA servers. Blame the AP blocking SSDP I hear you say? Yet two laptops also connected via the same AP could immediately discover the Twonky servers.

2) Using ethernet cable to a Wireless Bridge (incorporating a switch) about 80% of the time the TV would not recognise the switch was connected and vice-versa (ie no status lights at all on the switch for the port connected to the TV). The same switch has no issues with any other devices including a non-Samsung Bluray player). An MDI/MDX handshaking issue perhaps? Every now and again it would suddenly connect but I was never able to duplicate a sequence of plugging/power actions that would consistently work.

Plus of course there is the well known issue of FF/REW/skipping not being supported for DLNA

Collapse -
P.S.
by john_swan / September 1, 2010 3:30 PM PDT
In reply to: DLNA issues

P.S. I'm happy to report that playback from a USB drive is fine apart from anamorphic aspect ratios not being recognised. "Mode 2" usually suffices but it's a nuisance having to switch.

A zoom capable of displaying letterboxed (within 4:3) content in full screen would also be nice

My TV is a Series 6C 32in model.

Collapse -
by rosebud111 / September 2, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

CE_Tech, thanks very much for your offer to look into the problem I am experiencing and escalate as necessary. I will gladly send you the reference number but can't see any way to email you since no email specified your community profile. Please advise and let me know if you need more than just the reference number.

Please note that the problem I am reporting is not an isolated one associated with my TV and setup. As you see, John Swan from Australia reports that he to gets the PC Share Manager Available alert nags and has turned it off.

Just do a Google on "Samsung PC Share Manager" and you will see a myriad of problems reported and no solutions available. The only thing that has helped is the installation of Mezzo as some have suggested.

There really should be no need for owners of such expensive Samsung leading edge TVs to pay and use other software when the supplied and recommended Samsung PC Share Manager is supposed to provide similar and working functionality. This should really be seen by Samsung as what it really is ... a major embarrassment.

Collapse -
by rosebud111 / September 3, 2010 2:44 PM PDT

Samsung_CE_Tech,

Thanks very much for your offer as per above posts to move some cog wheels at Samsung. However, you have not responded to my last post even though you have been logged in and posting. I have no way of providing you the reference number you requested.

Also, could you please inform us as to what progress you make w.r.t. addressing the PC Share Manager problems with higher-level support/developers etc.

PS: I have just ordered a WD TV live was considering a PS3. But really ... all I needed was a working Samsung PC Share Manager.

Collapse -
by Samsung_CE_Tech Samsung staff / September 7, 2010 12:38 PM PDT

rosebud111,

I'm sorry for the delay. Could you just post your reference number on this thread and I'll see what I can do on my end.

As for any information of updates to the share manager, I was delaying to see if I would get any info back, but I do not have any more information now then I did the last time I posted. If I find anything out, I'll post it back on here.

--CETech

Collapse -
by rosebud111 / September 7, 2010 12:53 PM PDT

Thanks very much for getting back Samsung_CE_Tech.

The reference number is 1003430047

Again, unable to watch content because "Portable Device is Disconnected" message appears and end of viewing. Also, the constant nag messages about "Connected New Device ... PC Share Manager".

The connection is wired to my Dlink Dir-655 router.

Thanks.

Collapse -
PC share manager useless
by demihur / September 11, 2010 8:35 AM PDT

I agree with you but need to take it a step further. It is totally useless and Samsung should be ashamed. Judging from the forum complaints I am amazed I didn?t see it before purchasing a Samsung product. I bought this product because I wanted to clean up my living room again and take away my computer. The promise was I could play my home videos from my computer through the player incorporated with my Samsung product and the PC Share Manager software. Since the version was 4.2 i assumed it was completely tested and working which it is clearly not.
I have 3 external USB Drives for storage; this Samsung product does not recognize one of them AT ALL. If I share a folder on my c drive it will share the folder and even play the video file. OH But wait. I want to fast forward to a certain spot. NOPE that does not work. Oh yeah, rewind, nope that doesn?t work either. So its report card time.

I give the Samsung PC Manager 4.2 an F. Totally useless.

Windows 7 64 bit with 8 gigs of Ram
A 500GB Seagate Free Agent Pro USB 2.0
A 1TB Rock Mobile Disk USB 2.0
a 2 TB Western Digital Elements USB 2.0 drive

Collapse -
Found a Samsung PC manager that works..
by SamSX / October 3, 2010 4:01 AM PDT

I just reformatted my PC and installed 4.2.... absolute rubbish.

Thankfully i had 4.03 backed up some were it works like a charm

The only thing is when you're streaming from the PC it can be downloading. Also i have it hardwired.

In 4.03 i'm able to connect my USB drives... but you cant click on the share button... right click on the folder -> properties and click the share radio button then OK...

It will come up but some crappy message but at least it adds the USB drives.

Last samusung for me.... was considering the Galaxy S before it came out but after the shoddy work put into this very simple app....no way!

Collapse -
Maybe a fix
by Diligent1 / October 30, 2010 2:16 PM PDT

I had similar issues with the Samsung BD-C6500 blu ray player. PC Share manager would work fine from my old XP laptop but as soon as I tried to stream from my new Vista Ultimate 64 bit desktop, I couldn't get 2 minutes into the movie before a message popped up that PC Share Manager Disconnected. I was pulling my hair out. I think I may have solved the problem. So far so good. I'm about 20 minutes into a movie and no problem.

Scenario: My Vista desktop had 2 NIC's. 1 a realtek onboard which I had disabled because I had been using a Killer NIC for quite some time for gaming. I just re-enabled my Realtek onboard and disconnected my Killer NIC and all seems fine now. The Killer NIC has it's own brain and firewall and stuff, so I'm pretty sure that was the problem.

Movie is still going.

If anyone has a Killer NIC or similar card, I would try changing to something barebone or play around with the software for the NIC card. I was thinking it was the BLU RAY player or something to do with Vista, since it worked good on my XP laptop. But, that doesn't seem to be the case. Damn Killer NIC.

Movie still going. 30 minutes in now.

Like I said, I couldn't get 2 minutes in before disconnect so I am fairly confident that this will be my fix and hopefully it helps others too.

Good luck all!

Collapse -
Please share 4.03
by kirksaywell / October 30, 2010 6:26 PM PDT

Hi SamSX, can you please share your copy of the 4.03 version? A suitable website you could use to upload it for free is http://fpsbay.com. Cheers.

Collapse -
Same problem
by tech_by_trade / November 18, 2010 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: Please share 4.03

I also had the same issues with 4.2. I downgraded to 2.33 and i am able to connect to USB hard drives by right clicking on them and pressing the share radio. It does give an error but they are added to the share list.
The inablility to rewind and ff movies that are steraming is rediculas. It works on some but not all. Even the XBox 360 can get this right. Time for an update.

Collapse -
PC SHARE FIX
by Rojoyinc / November 19, 2010 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

Didn't work for me either (did on XP not on primary win7 machine)
screw it.
Downloaded SERViiO 0.4.2 <--- FREE download not a trial.

Just installed, didn't even configure much, I did tell it I have a Samsung "C" series (for the skip forward and back controls that work!)

Even my huge 1920x1080 videos will skip forward and back, pause and play. I had also tried Twonky media server. (It worked, but no SKIP FORWARD OR BACK OR PAUSE) I've been successful in working out the kinks of getting my 3 different video cameras (formats) encoded to play via wired network to TV and wireless on BD-6800.
No problems. I'm currently re-encoding all my video clips as I type this. DO DELETE PC share - DO download and install Serviio
Good luck!

ronkramer.net

Collapse -
Alternative's
by malloy96 / November 19, 2010 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: PC SHARE FIX

I too just recently bought a Samsung 50" Plasma and was excited about the Internet@TV, only to be very dissapointed that there is no browser.
No big deal really.
BUT the thing I found so bad was the PC Share Manager.
Totally useless. I tried and tried to see my files on the TV, but the file formats for PC Share Manager are, well, crap and dont get recognised, and there is no way I am going to change the file formats just for PC Share Manager.
SO, after a little bit of reading etc, I installed PS3 Media Server (google it).
Within 5 minutes, I had it installed, running, connected to my TV and playing all of the media files that I had selected to share.
If only Samsung could take a leaf out of the PS3 Media Server development, Samsung would have a hell of a lot more happy customers!!

Collapse -
the problem is the doble conection
by prfraga / November 28, 2010 4:49 AM PST

check if your computer is connect to the rooter via cable and wireless in the same time...
many computers have wirelless facility working but people connect it by cable to the rooter to have more stability, so they have two kinds of connections. desable the wireless conection of the pc and leave only the cable conection. when the tv conect the rooter it has to have only one connection to the pc to avoid the pc share manager disconection.

Collapse -
PC share software is garbage
by tech_by_trade / November 28, 2010 9:47 PM PST

SERViiO 0.4.2 works great.
It adds movie covers or posters to all the movies, as well as the correct titles. FF and RW dosent work for every avi, but most. Way better then Share Manager. I would definatly recomend it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.