Samsung

Question

Samsung Note 10.1 Tablet Multi Window mode add applications

by jschar1 / January 16, 2013 2:52 AM PST

I recently bought the Samsung Note Tablet 10.1 and am very impressed with the performance. what I don't like is that it would seem only SAMSUNG can tell us what we can and cannot use in dual-window mode! I want to be able to add what ever application I choose and open 2 at the same time on each side of the screen. I have searched all over and found nothing. Does anyone know any way to do this? If not, Samsung needs to work on this for sure!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Note 10.1 Tablet Multi Window mode add applications
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Note 10.1 Tablet Multi Window mode add applications
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Seems to not be a Samsung issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 2:56 AM PST

I looked at Android 4.0 and see no multi-window feature so if some company extended the OS then they have to only allow apps that work or the owners may complain about apps that don't work right.

Are you new to Android?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Seems to not be a Samsung issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2013 4:05 AM PST

Hi Bob and jschar1,

Yep, it's not an Android feature; it's a Touchwiz feature. I'm going to guess that this feature will only work with apps that have 'hooked' into the API. So can Samsung do anything? Not really. We can't really force app developers to incorporate this feature since Samsung doesn't own the ecosystem.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Well said.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 4:37 AM PST

Thanks for the clarification.

Collapse -
Apps that "hook" into the API...
by mwarren40 / January 17, 2013 1:05 AM PST
In reply to: Well said.

Is there a way to tell or a listing of apps that do this "hook" into the API? I have a few other apps that have shown up that allow to be selected but it would be nice to use another internet browser or email app.

Collapse -
Tipping my hand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 1:13 AM PST

I've been to the developer's conferences and more so if I were to add such hooks I would offer such through Samsungs own store. Or note such in the store.

At least it was as I knew about. Not an Android 4.0 feature.

At the office we are working on Android apps and we don't hook into such extensions for a very simple reason.
Bob

Collapse -
Great thread replies
by jschar1 / January 17, 2013 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Tipping my hand.

Thanks for the info and clarificafion here! Makes total sense. What i truly want is only the samsung remote and the xfinity app running in dual mode. Where can i see a list of all apps on the note tablet that will run in dual mode? I did read that rooting could also achieve this goal.

Jeff

Collapse -
Rooting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Great thread replies

Sorry but I've never found rooting to be needed 99.99% of the time. Usually we do that on some device that has Android 1.x and we want to eek more out of it. Our apps target 2.x and up.
Bob

Collapse -
dual mode
by jschar1 / January 17, 2013 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Rooting.

So when i watched the commercial for the note tablet this woman threw a few screens of multi window mode apps. When i do that i see only a few. Is there a list of all dual mode apps?

Collapse -
That's the real question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: dual mode

Where are the dual mode apps?

If 1800SAMSUNG (or the line in your country) can't answer this then you chalk it up to another stunt you see in commercials.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: dual mode
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 17, 2013 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: dual mode

Hi Bob and jschar1,

You see the chevron on the bar on the bottom of the screen. Tap that. You should get a listing of apps. Those are the apps that can behave that way, as far as I know.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.