Samsung forum

Question

Samsung not so smart TV and ARP protocol

by mbrooks78 / January 27, 2013 3:21 AM PST

I have a Samsung 55" plasma TV with the Smart Hub installed. The television broadcasts an non-stop stream of ARP packets to my Netgear router asking "who has 192.168.1.1, tell 192.168.1.2"). I am not seeing a response from the router, just more inquiries from the tv. All my other devices get responses from my router with my routers mac address. For some reason, my tv can still access the internet without a problem. I am just trying to figure out why the TV non stops broadcasting address requests and if there is a way to stop it.

Thanks,
Mike

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung not so smart TV and ARP protocol
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung not so smart TV and ARP protocol
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Odd thing but worth a try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 2:53 AM PST

That's a new one but try putting the TV's IP address into the DMZ of the router and see if that helps. Also, try the other ideas in the CNET Networking forum such as using the GOOGLE DNS instead of the router's DNS.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Prior discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 3:05 AM PST
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_102-5238778.html

As alluded there, another router may help. I've seen such issues vanish with latest or some specific router firmware version. For example the latest firmware on my new router causes many issues. A little reading in that maker's forums found folk installing a prior version.

When begs the question of is it the devices at fault or the router? Since rolling back to what version the forum suggested it's all good again.
Bob
Collapse -
worth a try
by mbrooks78 / January 28, 2013 11:57 AM PST
In reply to: PS. Prior discussion.

Thanks Bob,

I will try those possible solutions. My firmware for the tv and router were already up to date.

If I setup the television's ip address as static (if tv lets me), would that stop the constant ARP broadcasts?

Thanks again,

Michael

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2013 12:37 PM PST
In reply to: worth a try

But the TV's firmware code is not available except for a few older models. So I can't know this. But we do have some exposed settings and I've shared what I would try first.
Bob

Collapse -
worth a try
by mbrooks78 / January 28, 2013 12:11 PM PST
In reply to: PS. Prior discussion.

Thanks Bob,

I will try those suggestions. My firmware for the TV and router are up to date.

If I setup my TV to use a static IP (if I can), do you think that would stop the constant ARP broadcasts?

Thanks again,

Michael

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.