Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Netflix App Doesn't Work and Samsung Admits It

by ddnyc77 / October 2, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

Last week I purchased two Samsung LCD TVs (ln55c650) and (ln46c650). One of the main reasons I purchased these tvs was because of the internet widgets. After a few days of watching movies the Netflix wideget would not load my instant queue. I instant messaged back and forth with Samsung then was quickly escalated to Level II support over the phone. I spoke to someone who told me lots of people have been calling and this app does not work on many peoples tvs. She also had no idea when or if this would be fixed. Has anyone else been having similar issues?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Netflix App Doesn't Work and Samsung Admits It
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Netflix App Doesn't Work and Samsung Admits It
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Having the same issue with the app.
by gstuart97 / October 3, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

I've had my 46" lcd tv with the nextflix app for about a month and was watching many movies on netflix with no issues until tonight. Now I'm geting a problem with queue or the app just freezes up and then when I hit exit, it does nothing for about 2 minutes, then it powers off, powers on and I get my regular tv screen back.

Collapse -
Same issue and it started 10/2/2010
by abp1105 / October 3, 2010 12:42 PM PDT

I have a 46" Samsung LCD (LNC650) for about 2 months and the Netflix app worked great untill right now. I even saw a movie in the afternoon and it worked great. I'm seeing the same issue as you mentioned. At first I thought there was some connectivity issue with my broadband connection but it wasn't the case. I looked up online and saw these posts! Looks like there is some issue with the samsung firmware or the netflix apps running on samsung models. I hope the issue is fixed soon. I'll try looking for a firmware update.

Collapse -
Same here
by amarino125 / October 3, 2010 1:38 PM PDT

UN4600 LED We have had minor issues with the netflix app since we bought this TV last month. But now it has totally frozen. I reset the internet on the TV and we lost the activation code. Tried to reactive and it will not let me.
-
I am thinking about returning

Collapse -
RE: Same here
by nickmiller0371 / October 3, 2010 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

Don't just return the TV. I have a 46 c650 and my Netflix app has also suddenly stopped working properly. If I had to guess, I would say it has something to do with Samsung servers and how they communicate with their apps. The TV app likely needs to be updated. Keep in mind that Netflix has just expanded compatibility to iPhone users recently and may be upgrading servers and infrastructure. I'm sure your TV works just fine in every other way and has a beautiful picture. Don't make a decision on Netflix alone. Netflix is a notoriously unreliable service. When all else fails, use Netflix on your Wii, Xbox 360 or PS3 until the problem is fixed.

Collapse -
Working now.
by abp1105 / October 3, 2010 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

I tried it again in the morning and it's working - after I reactivated my TV with the code it provided me. Looks like there was issue with netflix yesterday night. I'll keep monitoring and update here if I find out what happened.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Thanks for the update
by gstuart97 / October 4, 2010 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Working now.

I deactivated my tv at my netflix.com account site. I'll see if re-activating will resolve the problem.

Collapse -
Thanks for the update
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 4, 2010 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the update

gstuart97,

I had a problem yesterday with the Apps too, actually.

I was able to reach customer service at Netflix, and they had an outage yesterday.

As for the original post (on Aug 2nd), I'm not sure I know why Apps stopped working, but if you de-activate and re-activate the units on the Netflix website, it should work properly.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Still a no go
by KC_Techno_Geek / October 13, 2010 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the update

I just spent the last several hours troubleshooting my PN58C6400 with Samsung Support. They admitted there is an issue with Netflix that can be corrected with a new firmware that was emailed to me. My Netflix was loading ok until the point of loading the instant queue on screen which never completes. I followed all instructions several times to upgrade the firmware, but my set will not accept the new firmware. This appears to me to be some pretty shoddy version control/testing prior to rolling stuff out. Samsung better fix this fast or they are going to piss alot of people off. I am already there.

Collapse -
Stuck in "retrieving movies from your instant Queue"
by BigKalbo / October 18, 2010 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Still a no go

Netflix is stuck in "retrieving movies from your instant Queue" On not one but two Samsung devices!

A brand new Samsung LED C8000 TV 55" and a brand new Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray Player.

All other online Applications work as advertised.

Samsung online "Help" could only suggest deactivating my Netflix account then reactivating it. I think he actually meant my device, not my account.

So I deactivated the Samsung LED C8000 TV on Netflix. The "retrieving movies from your instant Queue" still came up for the next 4 days, then just tonight it reported I had an error of some kind with my device and offered to reactivate, which I did.

Now once again the Samsung LED C8000 TV is continuously displaying "retrieving movies from your instant Queue"... as is the 5 day old Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray Player that I did not deactivate...

Very frustrating especially when Samsung's only help is a statement that "It Should Work" and then blames it on Netflix.

I believe that was my point to begin with... It should work!

Interestingly my 2 month old Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-ray Player plays Netflix without a problem.

Come on Samsung, get your act together! I bought the BluRays specifically to watch Netflix!

Collapse -
retrieving movies from your instant Queue
by Beagle1dog / December 17, 2010 11:25 AM PST

I had the same problem. I tried many suggestions on the web and nothing worked. After spending many hours, I found a solution. It involved using a designated router for the blue ray player with no other devices connected wireless to it. I had tried to use an 802.11n router that I had been using for my home network. Problem is that my laptop computers use 802.11g so the 802.11n default security setting would use either AES or TKIP security depending upon what was connected and my 802.11G devices only worked with TKIP security. My laptops would only use TKIP, this messed up the Samsung BD player. Solution: Connect 802.11n router to cable modem, go through router settings and select AES security, connect 802.11g router to the 802.11n. Ensure laptops connect to the 802.11G router. The 802.11n router is designated to the blue ray player only. Turn on blue ray disk player, connect to the wireless 802.11n network, verify connection works. Navigate to internet settings on the blue ray player and reset the blue ray player by clicking "reset". This will deactivate the Netflix account. Next time, you click Netflix icon it will give you new code to activate the blue ray player. Go to netflix and activate the blue ray player. I have now been able to watch movies in HD. I thought the issue was the blue ray player and or Netflix, but as it turned out it was because I tried to use one router connected to multiple devices and the router security setting was TKIP not AES and i believe this caused random connection problems

Collapse -
by BigKalbo / October 18, 2010 4:26 PM PDT

Netflix is stuck in "retrieving movies from your instant Queue" On not one but two Samsung devices!

A brand new Samsung LED C8000 TV 55" and a brand new Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray Player.

All other online Applications work as advertised.

Samsung online "Help" could only suggest deactivating my Netflix account then reactivating it. I think he actually meant my device, not my account.

So I deactivated the Samsung LED C8000 TV on Netflix. The "retrieving movies from your instant Queue" still came up for the next 4 days, then just tonight it reported I had an error of some kind with my device and offered to reactivate, which I did.

Now once again the Samsung LED C8000 TV is continuously displaying "retrieving movies from your instant Queue"... as is the 5 day old Samsung BD-C6900 Blu-ray Player that I did not deactivate...

Very frustrating especially when Samsung's only help is a statement that "It Should Work" and then blames it on Netflix.

I believe that was my point to begin with... It should work!

Interestingly my 2 month old Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-ray Player plays Netflix without a problem.

Come on Samsung, get your act together! I bought the BluRays specifically to watch Netflix!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 19, 2010 12:51 AM PDT

BigKalbo,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a problem connecting. My advice would be to disconnect your device from the account and then re-activate it from the Netflix website. You might also check to see how many devices are connected to your account. In most cases, a total of 6 devices can be attached to the account at any time. With several devices, including computers if you stream a movie, you may have an issue with additional devices connecting properly.

How is your TV and BD-C6900 connected to the network? Specifically the UNxxC8000 model? If you're still not able to get the Netflix widget to work, try deleting the widget entirely and then choosing to reinstall it from the Samsung Apps Manager. Once it's downloaded, sync it up with your Netflix.com/activate code and see if that helps.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Netflix still does not work
by BigKalbo / October 21, 2010 1:30 PM PDT

I have tried disconnecting both devices from my Netflix account and reconnecting them, the results are the same as before. Once I enter the Netflix activation code on the Netflix activation screen (and the the device shows active in Netflix) I get the "retrieving movies from your instant Queue" on the devices that never finishes. This is true for the Samsung BD-6900 BluRay as well as my Samsung UN55C8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D LED HDTV.

There is no option to delete the Netflix "widget" as you suggest in the Samsung Apps Manager. There is an option for deleting BlockBuster,VUDU and most of the other available widgets under the "Settings-App Manager", but nothing for removing and reinstalling Netflix, it just is not listed on the screen with the other apps.

I did use the "reset" option under "Setting-System Setup-Reset", but reactivating Netflix after a System reset results in the same outcome in Netflix, "retrieving movies from your instant Queue" that does not finish.

Again, I can find no place to delete the Netflix "widget" on either device and to subsequently reinstall it, it just is not an available option on the UN55C8000 HDTV or the BD-C6900 Blu-ray.

Both devices are using a wired internet connection that is working properly. I have also tried the wireless connection on the BD-C6900 Blu-ray with the exact same results. Netflix does not work, all other applications do work.

Again, All Internet applications are working properly on both the UN55C8000 HDTV and the BD-C6900 Blu-ray except for Netflix. I can watch BlockBuster and Vudu on both devices without any problems.

My Netflix account is in good working order. I have a total of 4 devices registered in Netflix that includes the UN55C8000 HDTV and the BD-C6900 Blu-ray.

The other two devices in my Netflix account (My PC and my BD-C6500 Blu-ray) work with Netflix as they should.

I appreciate your help, but most of what you suggested I had already tried (read my first post in this thread).

Samsung has a problem with their Netflix application, Samsung needs to acknowledge the problem and fix it!

Amendment... I believe I found "Netflix" under "Settings-App Manager", but it is named "Watch Instantly". Yeah, that is clear as mud. Still it does not matter as the "Trash Can" is grayed out so I can not delete it.

Collapse -
Netfix on my Samsung BD-6900 BluRay is working!
by BigKalbo / October 25, 2010 3:01 AM PDT

I'm happy to report that Netflix is now operational on my Samsung BD-6900 BluRay!

I turned on the BD-6900 this morning to listen to Pandora and it notified me a Software Upgrade was available for the BD-6900.

The new version is BSP-C6900WWB-1017.2

Not only does Netflix work now, but the software has been improved. Instead of only seeing what you have picked for your Instant Queue (via a computer browser connection) we now have full Search capabilities, Suggestions, New Arrivals, Genres as well as the "Instant Queue", to choose from. Very similar to what Vudo, Blockbusters and other already offer directly from the BD-6900 Screen!

Excellent!

I am very happy to be able to watch Netflix in my family room on the new Big Screen!

Unfortunately, the same fix has yet to applied to my Samsung UN55C8000 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3D LED HDTV. No Software update available yet, so Netflix still does not work. It appears Samsung is working on the problem if the fix on the BD-6900 is any indication. But I can live with it as the programming on the UN55C8000 is redundant to the programming available in the BD-6900, (Same entertainment system).

Collapse -
Netflix Updated on my BD-6500 Also
by BigKalbo / October 25, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

Just received a Software update to the BD-6500 BluRay in my bedroom also, (Where Netflix has worked without a problem since I bought the BD-6500 in August).

Netflix software has also been updated as the BD-6900, Works Great too!

New Software version is BDP-C6500WWB-1018.0

There was a quick secondary application update to Netflix shortly after I tried viewing (successfully) a Netflix movie with just the BD-6500 Software upgrade.

Looking good Samsung!

Now send out the software fix for my UN55C8000 and I will be a completely satisfied customer!

Collapse -
Netflix Updated on my BD-6500 Also
by KC_Techno_Geek / October 25, 2010 3:10 PM PDT

Glad to hear that's working for you. Maybe they will fix their TV's and Netflix app someday. Tonight I was checking to see if the Netflix app was fixed yet and an MLB.TV app started installing and hung up. I am very disappointed in the Samsung Apps. Samsung apparently has no quality control on what they are throwing out there as apps and when anything is wrong they do not have the resources to fix the problems nor the customer service dept. to give you something other than the reset instructions for your tv. I am about ready to give up and take my set back.

Thanks Samsung!

Collapse -
streaming tv to samsung BD 6900 player (in EUROPE)
by caruabertu / January 9, 2011 2:31 PM PST

I have one of these blu ray players and the firmware is an even higher version.

Are there more details on how to set up streaming TV to the player?

can you stream tv from VISTA PC to the BD player? How?

thanks a lot

Collapse -
Samsung Internet Issue on the tv Samsung LED C8000 TV 55
by lestercateriz / January 28, 2011 3:56 PM PST

How did you get your internet to work? I had to manually enter my ip address, subnet masks onto Samsung LED C8000 TV 55. I am having problems with my internet big time. It would work then stop working. It's been stucked on this ping issue.

So my internet doesn't work and it is hard wired. I tried the wireless adapter ($80) and it doesn't work. The only time netflix work is if I hook it up to the Playstation 3. When I hook up my internet cable to my PS3, internet and netflix work perfectly.

Technician came twice, once to repair the circuit board and then second guy came just to blame the internet problem on the internet provider. Really? It worked on my playstation and computer and he blamed it on that.

So I'm just looking online to fix the problem as Samsung don't know what it is. A lot of people have this problem online --- they are starting to post this.

Collapse -
We have the Cnet Networking forum
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2011 12:02 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung TV - Netflix keeps hanging up or disconnecting
by hitekmastr / March 4, 2012 7:26 AM PST

We bought our Samsung LED Large Screen at Best Buys in December 2011 and Netflix is one of the "smart features" but unfortunately it's really dumb because it keeps hanging up in the middle of a movie and I would say WE WASTE AN AVERAGE OF 30 to 45 MINUTES EVERY TIME WE TRY TO WATCH A MOVIE because the TV keeps disconnecting.

The wireless LAN server works perfectly with our XBOX connection, with all of our laptops (we have 4) and we have no trouble streaming our Netflix to our other TV thru XBOX.

This is very frustrating since we keep trying to watch Netflix on our new large screen TV but it's an utter waste of time and that's one of the main reasons we bought it!! So now we're stuck. Right now I'm looking at a message on my screen that says "Channel/signal not available. Every time this happens I spend 15 minutes or longer trying to reconnect the system to my wireless router - but the router works perfectly with my

So here we are - no Netflix - new Samsung large screen TV - and there is no one in the world that we can call on the phone to find out what's wrong. When something goes wrong with our Comcast cable broadband - we call Comcast and in 2 minutes they talk us through a solution.

So all I can do is post this like everyone else and hope someone knows how to fix it - or tells us we made a bad purchase decision and we're stuck until we buy another TV. I guess I could hook up one of my laptops to the TV and run Netflix from there since my laptops run Netflix fine - but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having Netflix presumably built in to the Samsung TV???? Very frustrated.

Collapse -
Since it's wireless the usual solutions are
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2012 7:33 AM PST

1. Halve the distance to the wifi router.
2. Get wired.
3. Use some wifi bridge.

Collapse -
Same issue new firmware version
by fredn24 / October 29, 2010 5:30 AM PDT

Sat down to watch a movie last night, on my BD-C6500 and I was prompted to update from FW version 1015.4 to 1018.0. For the first time since purchase in August, the on-line update worked - normally I would have to do it from a CD.

However, after the upgrade, Netflix stopped working. Up until that time, Netflix worked fine. Now I get a message that says 'cannot connect to Netflix, try again or contact Netflix'.

All other applications were working OK - Vudu, Pandora, Blockbuster etc

Tech support went through all the banal tests and I was promoted to Level 2 support. That technician told me there might be a problem with the Netflix server. I suggested that I thought it unlikely, but having been on the phone for nearly 2 hours I asked him to wait while I called Netflix - the technician hung up!

Needless to say, Netflix was not having a problem and in fact I even down loaded the new Wii application and was able to connect to Netflix thru the Wii using the same wireless connection and with the devices sitting side by side.

A call to a supervisor resulted in a promise to research the problem and return my phone call 'within 10 minutes'. No call came.

Next morning, I called again. Another supervisor, another set of the same banal tests and finally I was passed on to someone who seemed to know what he was doing. After a number of new tests and a factory reset and still not working with Netflix after another 2 hours, I suggested that I no longer liked the player and wanted to return it. He put me onto another department where I was told I would be able to negotiate a return or replacement or get some compensation for my trouble.

The new department only offered to accept the unit back for repair, which will take at least a week.

I only purchased this player to watch Netflix on-line and only subscribed to Netflix as a result. Now I won't be able to, just because a firmware update went wrong!

Problems do happen and I wouldn't mind so much, if Samsung's technical support were even half good. I have spent a total of 5 hours on the phone talking to drones that have absolutely no clue what you are saying or being able to offer any real support.

Every time I have to call technical support back, despite quoting my incident number, they still ask the same stupid questions before passing you up the line to only get the same set of questions. I found today, that even the error message I get when trying to connect Netflix hadn't been recorded, but I had been asked for it at least 20 times.

I have had Samsung. This could be a great player with some great features. Up until now, I have overlooked the fact that it takes forever to connect to the Internet, the player often hangs and will only respond to the Power button, that some media formats will work off CD, but not via DLNA and other niggly, but not game changing issues, all of which I am sure will be fixed over time.

But something as simple as upgrading firmware and having a major application fail as a result, is untenable. Particularly when you read this forum and find that the very version that killed my player, made others work! There seems to be no real testing or QA before release.

This is the first time I have ever had a Samsung product, but I have no doubt it will be the last. Samsung now clearly falls into the same basket as D-Link and others, whose products I will never buy again.

Collapse -
Netflix now works on my Samsung 55" LED C8000 TV
by BigKalbo / November 20, 2010 9:48 AM PST

Checked for software updates this morning on my Samsung 55" LED C8000 TV, I got a hit and downloaded the latest System software.

After the TV restarted it then downloaded a new copy of Netflix.

All is well! My reported problem is now a thing of the past!!

Netflix connects instantly and has the full feature menu as my Samsung Blu Rays were updated with a few weeks ago.

Samsung support is either not very good at diagnosing problems when customers call in or being honest about known problems is not in their script... At least the problem is finally fixed.

I am enjoying the TV immensely, in spite of this minor aggravation.

Collapse -
What Samsungs tech guys dont tell you.
by singlecny / December 26, 2010 6:31 AM PST

Sorry i dont have the info handy, but on their website i saw that Samsung's Netflix APP actully bounces of a server in Asia then goes to netflix. and has a bandwidth issue in Asia.

I have several netflix devices. 2PC's, 1 MAC, Ipad, Iphone, 360, WII and 1 Samsung NET/Bluray and 1 Samsung NET/TV.

Only with the Samsung app is there a problem. Not sure if this is the exact problem, but it is 100% Samsungs issue. and 0% Netflix.

it just appears to me to be eaither an issue of Samsung useing a middleman so to speak, or that their hardware just blows. So i have to run my xbox thru the Player connecting to the TV. "its stupid to have to do that... Thats why i bought the Samsung hardware to begin with. Its really a shame.

Collapse -
Only one problem with that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 7:13 AM PST

Samsung didn't write and does not maintain this app. So if Netflix does the app, why didn't you note them too?
Bob

Collapse -
try reset...
by choffman123 / January 28, 2012 5:45 AM PST

I had this issue the other day and i decided to reset the TV to defaults - in advanced settings.

Collapse -
Samsung 's Netflix App stopped working
by Dstroz1 / February 11, 2012 12:20 PM PST

I have a UN46D6000SF tv, the Netflix app stopped working on my set also, at least Samsung was willing to admit a problem to you, I ended up at tier 2 service and they blamed everyone but Sansung When I contacted Samsung to follow up, they denied any problem existed, and my complaint never happened. This seems to be an issue with Samsung products and Samsung service or lack of.

Collapse -
Same problem
by JMNunez / February 23, 2012 8:55 AM PST

The same thing is happening to my 59"TV my wife and I were watching a movie and then when we decided to watch something else it would tell us that we coudlnt see it anymore and that we should try watching something else or try at a different time.
I called my Internet provider and then after that I called Netflix Customet service number and they told me that there wasnt anything wrong with my account and then I called Samsung and they told they were going to call me within 24 hours and they still haven't return my call.
I'm actually regretting buying this tv now

Collapse -
Hey
by mwpaulson / March 1, 2012 8:57 AM PST

So did you ever get the Netflix app to start working?

Collapse -
Recent Issue
by dbjjdave / March 2, 2012 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Hey

I wish I would have read all of this before I just bought a new Samsung UN32D6000SF. Just got it yesterday and have been trying to get NETFLIX to work. According to Samsung I need to send it in for warranty repair at my own expense! Before any of you buy a Samsung, just know the problems with them and NETFLIX are widespread. If you go into Smart HUB, settings, properties, and detail, you can see there is a listing in there for NETFLIX. Mine says "NETFLIX ESN not supported (X). According to NETFLIX this means the TV won't even play it at all even though the application shows up in the menu. How much of a rip off is that for a $700 TV?! So, I bought it online and Buy.com will only exchange it because it is an open box electronic so I could be in this Samsung loop for ever! Same issues with their BluRay players.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.