Samsung forum

Question

Samsung logo flickering when TV is off - 55ES7100

by Thossessess / January 8, 2013 6:36 PM PST

Hello! I bought a Samsung 55ES7100 over the weekend and love it, but when I turn the set off the Samsung logo at the bottom of the TV sporadically starts flickering. I called tech support, which ultimately didn't offer any solutions. I also tried resetting the TV. I have the most current software update. If I change the Light Effect option to Always On, there are no issues and it functions properly, but when it's set for the Samsung logo to only be lit when the TV (I think it looks cool) is on it slowly fades down at power off and then begins to flicker. Anyone have any thoughts? I'm almost thinking its a software issue since the other Light Effect settings work properly. Should I return the set?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung logo flickering when TV is off - 55ES7100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung logo flickering when TV is off - 55ES7100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung logo flickering when TV is off - 55ES7100
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 1:17 AM PST
Collapse -
It doesn't need servicing...
by Thossessess / January 9, 2013 10:55 AM PST

Hello!

Thank you for the reply. I returned the first set to Best Buy this evening, since it was only three days old and left with another brand new 55ES7100 and it still has the same issue. The Samsung logo is flickering when the TV is off. I think this is a software issue and I would please ask that you escalate this to Samsung. I think it's a software issue because 1) The Light Effect settings work properly with 'Always On' when you turn the TV off 2) It works properly with 'Stand by' when the TV is off 3) It will stay off and not flicker when the TV is off or on when set to 'Off' and because of that 4) that's why I think it's a software issue that when set to 'Watching TV' it flickers when the TV is off - it's the only setting that doesn't work properly. Here are two links so you can see what it's doing on both televisions:

Television 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI3w6ajVSc0

Television 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2TEYNxmNXs
(About a minute in it starts acting up)

Thank you for reviewing this!!!

Collapse -
Re: Samsung logo flickering when TV is off - 55ES7100
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 10, 2013 1:29 AM PST

Hi Thossessess,

Very interesting. I appreciate the data. If you want to, message me this info on my profile, and I'll research it further.

HD Tech

Collapse -
My Samsung logo also flickers when off 7100es
by Mikeyboy1011 / February 26, 2013 6:51 AM PST

Is this hardware or software issue?

Collapse -
Re: My Samsung logo also flickers when off 7100es
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 27, 2013 4:37 AM PST
Collapse -
interesting...
by Phaia82 / February 27, 2013 7:39 AM PST

Just to mention.. mine stopped doing this about 3 weeks ago and hasn't started again. Pretty safe to say I don't need servicing now??

Collapse -
Re: interesting
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 27, 2013 10:46 PM PST
In reply to: interesting...

Hi Phaia82,

I'd agree with your evaluation.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
I am having the same issue
by Phaia82 / January 14, 2013 6:18 AM PST

I have the exact same TV model that we purchased over a month ago and it does the same thing. It has thus far not effected the TVs functioning, but I would love to know why it does this!

Collapse -
Re: I am having the same issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 15, 2013 6:34 AM PST

Hi Phaia82,

If you will, please message me this info on my profile, and I'll get some of your personal info.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Answer
I am having the same issue. Any resolution?
by mpz789 / February 10, 2013 12:55 PM PST

I too have a 55ES7100 purchased about the same time. Is there a fix?

Collapse -
by Thossessess / February 10, 2013 8:59 PM PST

I do not believe there is a fix and I returned my second ES7100 with the same issue; logo flickering regardless of the Light Effect setting. I tried the LG LM7600 and that was a big mistake - light bleeding and flashlighting all over. I could not watch one show because I was so focused on the amount of light spiking out at various points around the panel. Horrible manufacturing on LG's part. I decided to return that and purchase another Samsung, the 55ES7500 and WOW! Major difference in picture from the 7100. I think the difference is due to the step up to Micro Dimming Pro. I was considering the ES8000, it looks good from far away, but when you get up close it looks cheaply put together, especially around the camera area - looks like someone quickly bent up some sheet metal. At any rate, I couldn't be happier - I love the ES7500! Picture quality is incredible, blacks are even blacker than the 7100 and it comes with two remotes, option fr the Evolution Kit, voice command, etc. Well worth the extra money. So, to answer your question, "Is there a fix?" Yes, there is - return the 7100 and get another model, especially because you don't know what other issues this may cause down the road. Samsung has no idea what the issue is and the rep at Best Buy told me they've had a bunch of 7100 models being returned lately for the same reason - no issues with the logo on the ES7500. Good luck!

Collapse -
Answer
Thank You !
by mpz789 / February 12, 2013 11:14 AM PST

I returned the TV tonight. I completely agree. Who knows what else could be wrong with it. Sure, I could hold on to it and take my chances but if something else happens, it will probably be too late for the easy return. I looked but they did not have the 7500 on sale. I will watch the ads and probably buy when the time comes. BTW, when I told the guy at Best Buy what was wrong---his response--"is that all that is wrong?" They were not rude but did not seem real understanding. And there was a guy behind me returning his 46 inch 7100 because of the 3D would not work but also mentioned the Samsung logo on his set was flickering when off. He was not so much concerned about the flickering logo as much as the 3D not working. Hmm? Thanks again.

Collapse -
by Thossessess / February 13, 2013 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You !

If this helps, the guy at Best Buy told me the ES7500 should be on sale either this weekend or the following for $1799, and I too hope it is, so I can get the price match guarantee. That's funny he said, "Is that all," and rather annoying. As I found on my second ES7100 it slowly became worse and started to flicker when I was watching television, and with extreme frustration, that was all I was able to focus on at that point. Just a note on the 3D, it did take me some time to have the glasses sync up with the television - at first I thought my 3D wasn't working, but it was operator error. At any rate, I hope you end up getting the ES7500. I don't normally drop that kind of money on one item, but this television was completely worth it - incredible picture. I didn't even have to tweak any of the factory settings, minus turning off Auto Motion Plus, Auto Screen Brightness and Motion Lighting. If I happen to see the sale I'll post to let you know.

Collapse -
55 ES7500
by Thossessess / March 2, 2013 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Thank You !

It's now $1,799 at Best Buy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.