Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LNT5265FX/XAA infamous "power on/off cycling"

by Cav_Rat / July 13, 2009 11:43 AM PDT

Back in January of 2008 I took delivery of my new pride and joy. A beautiful 50" Samsung LED Backlit 1080p HDTV. This television was a beautiful "top-off" to my home entertainment system which includes surround sound and Blu-Ray. I have enjoyed the view for about a year and half, until now... The other day my television stopped coming on. Now all it does is "click" on and then off again repeatedly and never actually comes on. I let it run overnight to see if it would eventually come back on, but when I got up after a full 8 hours of sleep, she was still just clicking. After doing some research, I found that this is not uncommon for several different models of the Samsung product line and the 1-800-SAMSUNG folks are aware of it. Since the television is about 5/6 months out of warranty Samsung will not back the product. The extended warranty would not reall help me much because Samsung apparently does not have an authorized service repairman within several hundred miles of Central Washington???

I have called Sears Appliance Repair because they boast to be an authorized Samsung Repair Facility. They will be here on Wednesday to diagnose the problem ($100.00 Service Diagnosis).

Consumer beware... If I only had it to do all over again... Maybe not a Samsung.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LNT5265FX/XAA infamous "power on/off cycling"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LNT5265FX/XAA infamous "power on/off cycling"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What was outcome?
by IsleRun / September 29, 2009 11:18 PM PDT

I have the LN52A650, and 13 months from the purchase date it began the on off on off cycle. The only way to stop it is to unplug the unit. The problem sounds slightly different from the capacitor issue that most forum's note. Just am wondering if anyone has solved the problem of the on off death cycle without incurring a $400 service charge on a $2500 TV 13 months old.

Collapse -
What was outcome?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 3, 2009 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: What was outcome?
Collapse -
How to fix LN52A650 Cyling on and off problem
by kenklosson / October 26, 2009 5:29 AM PDT

I have a Samsung LN52A650. It developed the ON/OFF Cycling Problem and I came to this Blog and discovered the problem is widespread. That made it easy, so I took it from the top. It has previously been discovered that capacitors are the culprit. You can repair the problem yourself for ten bucks or less. Take off the back panel and locate the motherboard in cage on left side. Open the housing cage. You will probably see capacitors that have bubbled on top. Remove mother-board (screws and plug-ins). Replace the capacitors if you dare (why not - You'll be no worse off). Or take the motherboard to someone who can replace your capacitors. I replaced mine and I know NOTHING of electronics. I had to learn what a capacitor looks like. It wasn't too tough a job. In my case, I only replaced the ones that had bubbled on top (they were obvious with a good look). Be cautious soldering, and note that there is a positive and negative terminal that must be soldered into the correct places. Neg and Pos are marked on the capacitor. It cost me $10.00 plus my own labor. I used larger capacitors with the same value with the idea of them dissipating heat better (just a thought - maybe bogus). Take your time. If you destroy your motherboard in the process, you can replace it for $179.00. It is plug in and unplug-you can't go wrong. A girl Scout could do it. You still save $250. You can find pictures of the mother-board and bubbled capacitors in the Internet. There appears to be an engineering problem with this television, so if it's too late to help you, maybe it will help somebody else. Good luck.

Collapse -
Continued
by IsleRun / October 27, 2009 10:30 PM PDT

Thanks Ken - that was my original plan. In fact, I have the tools and ordered the caps from mouser before opening the back. Then got the post above from Samsung and submitted my info and was accepted to have it repaired by them - under only once condition - they would only fix it if it was the power supply. By the way, when I removed the back, the caps look normal - no bulging.

So Samsung arranges a local TV repair shop to come out. He says it is not the power supply, most likely the TCon board. And the repairman offers to "officially" diagnose the problem for $95, since it is not the power supply, it is not covered by temporary warranty work authorized by Samsung. with the parts and fix, we are back to the $300 - $400 - but they don't have a TCon board anyways so it will be a couple weeks. I did what any other PO'd, stubborn, DIYer would do. Told him no thanks. Yesterday I got a bill from them for $95. Right.

Found a TCon board on Ebay for $60. No luck. Waiting on a mainboard. I did check the power supply as I downloaded the PDF version of the repair manual. I figure I can just about replace all the boards myself and be less $$$s. My behavior is driven by the stubborn principle of not enriching others off the design deficiencies of a $2500 13 month-old TV.

I forget how nice the picture was as it has been a month since I seen it. Just yesterday I was shopping for computer monitors and the store had some nice Samsungs - never again. I expect better customer service when I make a high end purchase - i didnt buy the Walmart brand for $1000 less. If I had, Walmart would have probably covered me.

Collapse -
Reply to Isle Run
by kenklosson / October 28, 2009 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Continued

I am glad if my note to you helped. You have provided some good information as well. My TV is more or less one year old. It is nice to know that Samsung will front me a new power supply if needed. There is something congenitally wrong with the TV since so many have suffered the same issue during the TV's youth. I am hoping it was their factory built capacitors that I have replaced. I am afraid that whatever blew the Capacitors in the first place is likely to be lurking still (perhaps an overheating problem). I do not know if capacitors ALWAYS show signs of pain and suffering if they are no good, but I am wondering how many defects can cause the same result, the dreaded on and off cycle. I would have changed the capacitors on a whim just to know for sure since they have been clearly identified as a culprit. Is it possible that your repairman is wrong or seeking to pad his bill? That's why I ALWAYS try to beat the pros, because I am successful enough of the time to easily cover my failures. The capacitors are actually about a buck apiece. I was fleeced when I bought mine, but it was Saturday, and I wanted to watch football Sunday. So far my Samsung continues to work (knock on wood). The price I quoted on the motherboard was found at first look (just to see what I was up against) and it did not become necessary for me to shop for the board competitively. I bought my Samsung based upon the praises of Consumer Reports. Let me see if I got this straight. The repairman told you your TV was not working and charged you $95. Am eager to hear of your future success and anything you learn in the process. Still best wishes.

Collapse -
Samsungtv
by ngojohn / March 21, 2010 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Isle Run

Im glad I came across this forum.Im having the same problem with the on/off cycling problem with the TV, and I was just curious as to whether your tv is currently working after you have tried to fix it. Im thinking about doing it myself, Im probably going to start with opening up the back case on my TV and look at the mother board and then Im hoping its the bulging capacitor problem. If the capacitor is not the culprit, what would you guys suggest that I look into next.thanks

Collapse -
Samsung - Power-Click issue
by cnetforumuser / March 21, 2010 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsungtv

Guys,

Thanks for this info.

I think I'm also close to facing this problem pretty soon. Of late, I have started noticing that my 2-Year-Old Samsung-LNT5265F is taking too long to startup. From the point I press the power button on the remote, I start hearing the clicking sound for about a minute after the TV powers on.

Will Ken's solution resolve my problem ? Or should I wait until the point where the TV doesn't turn on and then change the capacitors ? Please advise.

Thanks.

Collapse -
samsung LNT5265FX
by winmac01 / April 4, 2010 10:41 AM PDT

I thank everyone for taking the time to report their finding of the failure of the samsung tv's. I too am experiencing the on/off cycling of the tv when attempting to turn it on. I am looking forward to anyones success story in reference to this issue. I have never attempted to solder any electronic parts but I have soldered plumbing in the past.
Good luck to everyone and I look forward to reading your posts, hopefully with some good advise.
Thank you.
winmac01

Collapse -
Re: samsung LNT5265FX
by cnetforumuser / April 4, 2010 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: samsung LNT5265FX

Hi winmac01,

I did the 'change the capacitors' thing this Easter Weekend for my LNT5265FX/XAA and the multi-click issue is fixed. The 5 capacitors, solder iron and solder lead cost me about $30. It was straight forward. YouTube 'samsung capacitor' and find the 2 part video of 'milosmommy', this will definitly help.

Happy Fixing!

Collapse -
On / Off Nightmares with my LNT5265FX
by slicksoda / July 12, 2010 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: samsung LNT5265FX

Thanks for your posts everyone. I realize now that I have suffered the same problems as leagues of other Samsung owners. I purchased a Samsung LNT5265F in June of 2007 to operate at the the center of my home theater and for 2 years it worked beautifully. About 6 - 8 months ago, I started experiencing the same on/off woes that others are describing. The TV went from a 1 - 2 minute power-up lag replete with clicks and Samsung start-up tones, leading to white, blue or pink pixels stuck on screen, to a 12 hour on/off fiasco. Finally, the TV has croaked, on/off cycling but never turning on for a day at a time, forcing me to unplug the set to stop the annoying (and misleading ) start up tone.

I too have recommended this and other Samsung TVs to friends and family and now I am embarrassed. I assume this is the capacitor issue and I think Samsung needs to formally address this manufacturer defect. I emailed Samsung service and the recommended authorized service centers all have terrible reviews on Yelp. I am nervous to be needlessly taken for $500. Has anyone else had success replacing the capacitors themselves? Thanks

Collapse -
Easy fix for the novice
by keycontrol / September 20, 2010 11:39 AM PDT

YOU CAN DO IT! There is a total of up to nine capacitors that may be at fault. Five; 10V 1000uf, and four; 25V 1000uf radial capacitors. Simply ordered #20 10V caps. off (that auction site)for $3 and got the 25V (radio shack has 35V)$1.65 ea . Buy a cheap pencil type soldering iron and a roll of desoldering copper braided wire (radio shack) and carefully go for it. I unplugged the tv while it was on and waited till the next day to take the back off (residual voltage). It works GREAT now and wife thinks I'm smarter than I am.

Collapse -
Thanks for the info!
by c10273 / January 14, 2011 1:00 PM PST

Did just what you said and it worked. I couldn't find the 10 volt but went to a local tv repair shop and they gave me a 16 volt for free. I am very glad that it worked and I didn't have to spend loads of money. Awesome! Thanks to everyone that posted, I love the Internet.

Collapse -
samsung
by cdanderson4015 / February 27, 2011 11:13 PM PST

Where do you get the capacitor to replace. Can a computer repair person do thi?

Collapse -
fixing samsung problem
by kashleya1 / June 16, 2012 8:52 AM PDT

kenklosson your awesome. i love the internet. your info was great. i am a do it yourselfer because i have to be but not much circuitry experience. i started this whole process for fun because i really didnt think i could do it. BUT, too easy. dude, the capacitors were exactly how you described them ( a couple just swollen on top and a couple leaked out just a little on top- i replaced 9 total that showed signs of damage 4-25v and 5-10v) and fryes electronics had the parts supercheap and you ( and myself included ) saved me at least $1500 on a new tv. cant say thanks enough.

Collapse -
SMSUNG CYLING
by oldinjun / June 12, 2012 2:32 AM PDT

I just had my Samsung TV repaired under warranty for the re-cycling problem. My TV is two years old. The service tech new exactly what the problem was and said it happens on all sets not just Samsung. In my case as with most the capacitors on the power board fail from constant on and off use. The surge weakens the capacitors over time. In my case 2 of the 5 capacitors were bad but the tech changed all 5. He replaced the capacitors not the entire power board in house. He said he had two LG units last week for the same problem. Samsung has a firmware fix online you can download for this model but it did not fix my problem.

Collapse -
Not a surge issue. Google this -> BAD CAPS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2012 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: SMSUNG CYLING

You'll find the story behind all this with millions of dead PCs (2 million Dells alone) and now the plague is in TVs and more.

Thanks for posting this but I thought I'd add a little about what's going on.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung LN52A650
by mdlinks / August 15, 2010 9:52 AM PDT

Same problem here, out of warranty. Given this is a frequent problem, in my opinion, like car recalls, it should be covered and fixed by Samsung free of cost even though out of warranty. I am going to into it. Others please post your experience.

Looking at forums, certainly it is not a random problem.

Collapse -
Samsung LN-T375HA
by bluelight74 / October 31, 2010 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LN52A650

Bought my 37" TV a little over 2 years ago, so warrenty was no good. I did notice that my TV was taking a little longer to start up than normal. About a week ago, my set wouldn't turn on at all. It would make that clicking sound and the power button would flash, but no start up. It would continue trying about every 20 seconds until I unplugged it. I went online to chat with a Samsung technician, but of no help. His troubleshoot was primarily unplugging the set, taking it out of its surge protector, letting it sit for a minute, and then trying to restart it. After spending 20 minutes with the online technician, he referred me 1-800-SAMSUNG, where I once again explained my problem. I guess blown capacitors must be a common problem, because they agreed to send out a repairman immediately (even though it's no longer under warrenty). They said that if it was a blown capacitor, they would replace it for free. However, if it was more than a capacitor problem, then they would diagnose it and give me an estimate. The repairman called me the next day to make an appointment.
The repairman was nice and honest. He replaced the capacitors, free of charge. However, my TV set still wouldn't work. He brought out a brand new motherboard and replaced mine to see if that would work. It did. However, he said it would cost $320 (including labor) to replace the motherboard. I opted not to. I thought that maybe I could find a cheaper deal online.
Seeing these threads made me realize how bad the Samsung model is, but as for customer service, I have no quarrels. They helped me out and had a repairman out at my doorstep within 3 days. All you have to do is call and ask for help.

Now, if anyone knows of a good motherboard I can use, please let me know.

Collapse -
samsung
by cdanderson4015 / February 27, 2011 11:10 PM PST

Did you ever get the problem solved with this Tv? Ours is doing the same. After power went off last night, tv will not come on at all.

Collapse -
Samsung LN-T375HA
by bluelight74 / February 28, 2011 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: samsung

My television was over 2 years old and out of warranty when it stopped working. It would click, but not turn on. I called Samsung and they said it was a common problem. They sent a tech out to my place within 2 days and offered to replace my capacitors for free (if it was a capacitor problem). Unfortunately, the problem was with the motherboard, and the tech said I'd have to pay at least $300 to replace that. So, I opted to get a new television.

Collapse -
Power cycle / capacitor issue on LN S405
by Keuka367 / June 23, 2011 9:43 AM PDT

Buyer Beware!!! Samsung will acknowledge & fix the problem on a SUBSET of TV's. No acknowledgement for others. Mine survived for 1 yrs & now failed. They will not acknowledge the problem even exists on this model - how they can say that when the symptoms & now the repair man I had to pay says it is the capacitor issue. I do not expect this type of quality in a TV that I spent a lot of money on. Will not buy a Samsung in the future. So glad I found this forum. I will check this out for any future purchases....

Collapse -
Did you want to try anyway?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2011 1:02 PM PDT

And BEWARE that the cause is in many other makes too. Changing brand does not get away from the BAD CAPS issue (see google.) There are some 2 million dead Dell PCs and now you find the bad caps all over.

-> BACK TO THE ISSUE at hand. If you want to try, get that transaction number along with the model, and country and see if there is something that can be done. If you want to try, this is how some found it to get fixed. Please read the success stories in this forum.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung repair.
by cdanderson4015 / June 24, 2011 1:05 AM PDT

*** This is a system-generated email from an unmonitored mailbox. Please do not reply *** Your request for service has been processed successfully. Please review the following important instructions carefully. Your In-home service request has been sent to Samsung's Authorized Service Center. The Service Center should be in contact with you within the next 2 business days to set up a date and time for the service appointment. In the event you are not contacted by the Service Center within 2 business days, please contact them directly at the number below. To track the status of your service request online, click the "Repair Self Tracking" banner at the top right of this email. Ticket Number 4007958042 Please use the "Ticket Number" shown above on all communications with Samsung concerning your service. Service Type : Repair Warranty : Labor (05/31/2009), Part (05/31/2009) Product Information Model Number : LNT5265FX/XAA Serial Number : AJ733CNQ305166N Product Symptoms : Quality/Trouble/Power/Unable to turn on Service Information

We had the same problem with our tv. Samsung sent out service person that was in our area. They ordered the part and replaced it. Samsung was aware of these problems with these Tv's and replaced the part without any cost to us.

Collapse -
Samsung LNT5265FX/XAA power cycling on/off issue
by ianfv77 / October 3, 2011 2:46 PM PDT

I am having the same problem. I replaced 4 blown caps in the power supply board, and it didn't solve the problem. Then, I replaced the rest of the caps. Still, the same problem where the TV resets itself 30 seconds to 1 minute durations, forever... all day long. I am thinking of replacing the computer board, but before that I would like to solicit anyones experience.

Also, I tried signing in the forum, but it would not let me. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Samsung LNT5265FX/XAA power repaired by Samsung
by dblumberg12 / November 2, 2011 8:12 AM PDT

I have this set and my parents have two of these sets. All three televisions were experiencing the power cycling options. One TV sometimes took a couple minutes to start-up, sometimes not at all. Also they would sometimes start-with colored dots all over the screen.

These sets were purchased in 2008. These sets were years outside of the warranty period. I called Samsung the other day and they sent someone out to replace the capacitors on all three of the TV sets. The only charge was $100 to the repairman to take the TV off the wall and put it back on. If you have this set Samsung will repair it.

Collapse -
SAMSUNG CYCLING
by oldinjun / June 12, 2012 2:35 AM PDT

I just had my Samsung TV repaired under warranty for the re-cycling problem. My TV is two years old. The service tech new exactly what the problem was and said it happens on all sets not just Samsung. In my case as with most the capacitors on the power board fail from constant on and off use. The surge weakens the capacitors over time. In my case 2 of the 5 capacitors were bad but the tech changed all 5. He replaced the capacitors not the entire power board in house. He said he had two LG units last week for the same problem. Samsung has a firmware fix online you can download for this model but it did not fix my problem.

Collapse -
For anyone still looking for answers to a SAMSUNG pwr issue
by xtanmanx / July 26, 2012 6:05 PM PDT
In reply to: SAMSUNG CYCLING
Collapse -
After too long
by dbtoutfit / August 31, 2012 9:31 AM PDT

After a year of not using my tv and having the same issues with the tv on and off and learning more than would want to ever know I solved my issue and wanted to take the time to share with others....

My tv did not make the clicking noise over and over then come on. If yours is clicking and never getting to the jingle or showing the screen for at least a few seconds before restart you have a psu or psu capacitor issue.

My tv would come on and show video for a splint second then restart and ova and over.
If a component wasn't plugged in (hdmi, vga, rca, etc) the tv would stay on.
But if it was on antenna with snow no signal it was power cycle.

After pulling my hair out, checking the capacitors etc I got the idea that even if the issue wasn't my power cord from the weight of my power strip pulling on it or the power strip wasn't faulty that there's a high chance that I was having a grounding issue since for the most part the tv stayed on. The ground prong on my power strip was broke off. I decided to use a new power cord and bypass the power strip. Long story short the tv has not acted up once since.

Collapse -
Samsung UN55C7000
by aetrout18 / March 13, 2013 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: After too long

I came across this post and was wondering if anyone has had the same problem with a Samsung UN55C7000? I read the terms of the class action lawsuit but our TV isn't covered by it. We are experiencing the same issue with it cycling on & off. It started when we owned the tv for approx. 9 months. We contacted Samsung and had it serviced many times but it has not resolved the problem. They replaced the main board & power board at least 3 times each. We are so frustrated because it has gotten progressively worse and now we can't watch it for more than a few minutes before the cycle begins. We hear a clicking noise in the back of the TV (sounds like a car turn signal) We unplug it and wait a few seconds but that doesn't always work. It sounds like the same problem other people in this forum experienced. What really upsets me is that at no time did they ever let on that they even knew a problem like this existed. They made it sound like we were crazy every time we called for service. The problem was only sporadic at that time and we could never get it to do it while the service tech was here so he just replaced the parts he thought it could be. It would seem to fix it and then a few weeks later it would happen again. We were told by the company Samsung contracted for service in our area that the only thing they could do would be to take our tv to their shop to see if it would happen for them. We asked if we would could have a loaner tv while ours was in their shop but were told no. We didn't want to loose our tv for a few weeks and the problem was so sporadic so we figured they would not be able to find the issue. Unfortunately the problem is now so bad that we can't even watch TV. We spent a lot of money on this TV and are very frustrated especially since I found this post and now realize Samsung had know about this issue even before we purchased our TV but never fixed it.

Collapse -
Been there fixed that
by gymowner123 / September 7, 2013 9:48 AM PDT

I have a background in Engineering, I say that only because a "normal person would not have a chance of fixing this.
By the way it is a known issue on many of their LCD TV's especially your model, "I have the same one".
After dealing with the ridiculous hoop jumping to get someone to come to my home, "for which I paid good money for an in home extended warrantee". I discovered that the set was designed to "fail" in the area of the Power supply.
IE: they used 20 volt Caps every ware except in one spot where they used 10 V caps.
The repair guy didn't really want to get into it, but said "most folks would never get that far into the discovery process, they would just throw it out and buy a new one." I am not most folks, and it pissed me off to no end that they are completely aware of this, and should have done a recall, It would bankrupt them, "said the repair guy". They are all like this.
I paid him to get me 20 volt Caps, as Samsung sent him 10V replacements, that would fail again in 3-5 years. We installed them and that was 2 years ago. It costs about a dollar or two for the parts from overpriced radio shack.
Pleas replace the ones on the perimeter of the power board module. It can be next to impossible to tell if they are blown without taking a reading with a meter. Hope this helps
Why would you use a 10 volt Capacitor if the whole board had 20 volt capacitors on it, That would automatically make it a "weak spot" for heat to build and damage the unit., Thus the life expectancy would go up a couple of years on all of their TV's, "just sayin". Mine has developed a new problem 7 years after purchase, "which is at least understandable "time wise". The picture just goes off, sound stays on, after waiting a few minutes, it can be restarted. It just began today, "why I was browsing when I saw your post". Now I have another problem to solve as the picture remains great, it just dies.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.