Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LNT-4665F Power up issues- Clicking noise

by Leonard707 / March 2, 2010 1:30 AM PST

When turning on the tv for the first time of the day, when you push power button the tv will click about 10 times before actually powering up and then it will turn on and work fine....the red power light will blink with the clicking noise but the blue light at the bottom center of the tv stays light as if the tv is already on....I do have that light set to be on only if power is on on tv....Can anyone help??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LNT-4665F Power up issues- Clicking noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LNT-4665F Power up issues- Clicking noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Covers this issue
by Leonard707 / March 2, 2010 3:18 AM PST

I called samsung and according to their customer service they said the clicking noise is usually a capacitor and that is covered under a warranty even if the tv is out of warranty. The Tv is 2 years old and they are sending a tech out to check it out.

Collapse -
Congratulations
by TimE / April 20, 2010 1:45 PM PDT

I am having the exact same issue but the customer service rep. told me my tv was not made in the time frame they are covering. My TV is a few months over two years old. I am very disappointed in my experience with SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
Hope this aint the norm for Samsung Quailty
by sammymytv / April 26, 2010 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Congratulations

Yeah

I'm a bit let down by this too.

I have a lot of Samsung Products, and have recommended them to my friends and family... I'm dead if Samsung's product quality ain't what I thought it was.. lol

Was actually eyeing a Samsung LED TV and was looking at one of their HD cameras, but not as interested if quality is an issue.

I have a Digimate LCD (Some low quality no name 32") which is on as much as the Samsung, and its 3 years older)

This seems to be the corporate norm. Quailty isn't a concern, and they build them to fail.

It kinda makes you not want to spend a little more to, to get supposed better quality..

Paul

Collapse -
My Samsung LN-T4669F - also starting to click
by sammymytv / April 26, 2010 1:56 AM PDT

Hi,

My Samsung is also starting to Click on power up (currently takes about 4 clicks, which started about 2 weeks ago)

Was purchased just over 2 years ago (looks like there is a 1 year warranty on it)

I called the Canadian support contact number at 1-800-SAMSUNG and got the standard "your SOL" response. They did mention that they know there's an issue, and that there's currently no fix for it.

Its a different response than what you got; so I'm wondering if you have any updates on how/if your issue was resolved

Thanks

Paul

Collapse -
I KNOW ALL the ANSWERS...except 1 concerning this item.
by SSSks / May 13, 2010 3:22 PM PDT

Here is a quick summary of my present actions/responses concerning my Samskunk LN-T4665F Television.

The following is an e-mail that I sent today to the Public Relations Departments of both the HDTV and the Corporate Agencies that represent Samsung at this time.

Dear Agency Personnel,
My Television has a ?Samsung-Known? defect. I have been researching this defect and have noted literally ?Thousands? of other Samsung Customers having the same issue with their TV?s. Samsung is repairing some models ?Free of Charge? with an at-home service call by a local vendor
My model is ?Newer? than many models that are receiving the Free home service. I have been informed by Samsung (see below) that my particular model is not covered. I have EXACTLY the same problem with my TV as those noted below, yet I am supposed to pay for my service call?

The following is the information that I personally endeavored. Below my data are many other ?Customer Comments? concerning this item. Please work with Samsung to eliminate such negative customer comments about Samsung Product. Samsung may lose many, many customers with such ?Word-of-Mouth? concerns in the world.

Personnel Data

Elena: Hello, I am a Samsung Technical Support representative. How may I assist you today?

Daniel: Hi Elena...My TV is making the \\\'CLICKING\\\' noise that many others are out there. I have read where this is a known problem and Samsung will repair it free (even if not under warranty). Would you please assist me with the steps required to ensure service is provided to repair my TV?

Elena: I apologize for the inconvenience. Let me see how best I can help you in this regard.

Elena: Could you please provide me the model number of the TV?

Daniel: LNT4665

Daniel: ***************

Elena: Thank you for the information.

Elena: May I know since how long you have been facing this issue with the TV?

Daniel: It started intermittently awhile back and then would finally power-up.
Now, it just clicks...no power. This has been happening for about 6-9 months.

Elena: I am sorry to hear that.

Elena: Do you use any device or surge protector between TV and power outlet?

Daniel: Yes, a surge protector for all electronics at that location.

Elena: Please try connecting the TV directly to the power outlet and check the issue.

Daniel: I did...to no avail. Once again, this is a known issue...please read
comments: I

Collapse -
Continued.....I have repair information for this concern and
by SSSks / May 13, 2010 3:54 PM PDT

There are LOTS of URL's concerning these EXACT symptoms on many Samsung TV's at this time. I, personally can provide my hours of research to all of you if it were possible. But the pertinent details are:

1. Power clicking on/off on TV (first intermittent, then longer times before the TV turns on...possible pixels hanging out unnecessarily)
2. Intermittent at first with messed-up pixels shortly thereafter.
3. Diagnosis: Bad capacitors on power supply board
4. Easy to see with several sites that have photo's (bulging/leaking capacitor heads). Search 'http://www.earthinfo.org/samsung-tv-makes-a-strange-clicking-sound/ ' for detailed instruction.

I ordered larger voltage capacitors at Amazon.com. The original circuit voltage is 12V...with 10V Caps.....look for the 16V caps at Amazon.com with the correct microfarad (uf), and temp (high temp is good).

5. With inexpensive electronic tools, a little patience and personal 'Go-ahead' this problem can be resolved for under $20.00. If not brave enough to try, an entire (easily swappable circuit board may be purchased as low as $75.00 - personal research; you may find a lower price). It is normally a power supply board designated as:
BN44-00168b or a similar number which may be cross-referenced).

Anyquestions? I'll be here.
Danny

Collapse -
My LNT4065 LCD also joined the clicking group
by mmarker / May 16, 2010 4:06 AM PDT

I started to have problems with my 40" Samsung LNT4065 about 3 to 4 weeks ago when it wouldn't come on right away when I turned my Direct TV HD box on. It would make some clicking noises and then come on after 5 to 10 tries. I had a Direct TV rep come out to check the HD box and he told me it wasn't the TV but the HDMI cable which he replaced. He also made adjustments to the satellite dish because I noticed some pixilation in the image. Everything looked good but after I turned it off it had problems again with the clicking noise.
Now I am getting a very colorful bar code on the screen. I can't even connect with the Direct TV box.
I usually don't get extended warranties on anything but decided I should on the TV. I purchased it in Sept.2007 . I called the warranty company yesterday to set up a service call for the TV. I also found this forum and called the Samsung Service dept about the problems I was having. The rep told me my TV could to be repaired for free but if it was not related to a capacitor issue I would be charged for the call. I decided to go with my extended warranty due to the barcode issue. I haven't seen any mention of that on this forum so far.
Needless to say I am extremely disappointed with Samsung quality and the company's response to a known defect in their TV's. I purchased a similar TV for my mother in 2009 and now I wonder if she will have the same kind of problems with her Samsung. I was planning on buying a Samsung microwave but I am certainly going to reconsider that purchase.
I plan on escalating my complaint to the corporate offices of Samsung.

Collapse -
This willl take care of the problem....NEVER BUY Samsung!
by SSSks / May 16, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

Samsung TV makes a strange clicking sound
My Samsung TV (52″ LCD) started clicking several times before finally switching on after 30 seconds, this relay clicking gradually got worse each time I turned the set on. ( It turns out that this is quite a common problem with Samsung TV?s of all sizes). The problem seems to start after the TV is a year or two old (normally outside guarantee) and sounds like a relay clicking on and off. Samsung deny there is a design problem, so I thought rather than spend money on an engineer, I would try and fix the problem myself.

I thought the first place to look for a problem like this is in the power supply.
? I unscrewed the back cover of the TV (20 screws)
? Removed the metal cover of the power supply (4 screws)

? I carefully looked over the power supply looking for anything out of the ordinary, low and behold I could see a few capacitors (the cylindrical shaped components) that had raised tops. These raised tops are caused when the capacitor breaks down and forms hydrogen gas, if left, eventually the capacitors will blow, and hopefully the top will split open and release the gas pressure, if not, they may just explode.

Check out Capacitor Lab for more details on what to look for when a capacitor fails.
I checked out the replacement cost of a new power supply board, I couldn?t find the exact power supply online but this company has ones for smallers TV starting at around

Collapse -
Thank you... It fixed my problem
by AndresP101 / December 28, 2012 5:44 AM PST

Thank you so much for the detailed instruction on how to fix the problem.
I've never done something like this, but I'm pretty handy in general. It was actually quite easy. I took a picture of the power supply board before taking it apart in case I ran into trouble. I changed the 4 of the old 1000 microF 10V capacitors (noticeably bulging) for 4 new 1000 microF 35V from Radio Shack. Including the soldering gun, it cost $20.

I also found out that Samsung has settled earlier this year on this problem. If you have your old receipts, etc you can get some money from the settlement. (I don't if they will cover my home-made repair costs, but I'll send them the bill). Check it out at:

http://www.samsung.com/us/capacitorsettlement/

Collapse -
Clicking ignition, color dots, faint verticle bars
by flhardatwork / June 1, 2010 4:57 AM PDT

I have a LN-T4665F purchased in late January 2008. I've been having this problem, beginning with the clicking and 2 minute eventual start since MARCH 2010. It's getting progressively worse, taking longer to start, small color dots first, then small verticle stripes when restarted along with faintly visible wider verticle 'waves' after restart. My S/N is AJ723CNB03262Z. I have registered this, and other products, with SAMSUNG and would like to have my technical issues addressed, please.

Thanks,
Chris Snider
FLORIDA

Collapse -
Clicking on start up
by flhardatwork / June 1, 2010 5:37 AM PDT

I have a SAMSUNG LN-T4665F LCD purchased in January of 2008 that has the perpetual clicking/start-up problem. I called SAMSUNG today (06.01.10) and they said SAMSUNG would repair THIS (capacitor(s) problem (clicking/long time to start) one time free of charge and would have someone call me within 1-2 working days to set up an appt. Seems to be quite a prevalent problem worth fixing for free to avoid a possible product recall. If all goes as planed I would call this great customer service. We'll see how long the fix lasts and decide on overall product quality. At this point, I'm good with SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
My LN-T4669F is just started doing "clicking" as well!!!
by alex247email / June 26, 2010 12:30 PM PDT

Just today started this "clicking" when turn power on. On cold TV takes about 3 mins of "clicking" to finally power on to see picture.
I got it as a gift in August 2008 and today June 26, 2010. Not even 2 years!!! What a pile of )@(*#$&^&! this Samsung is. I will call tomorrow 1-800-SAMSUNG here in Toronto to see if they can fix it but I dont have receipt, only documentation and box original. I cannot beleive so many people have same problem starting with earlier models and Samsung not fixed this. No respect for customers, as old saying - they are cutting the branch they are sitting on.

Collapse -
Clikcking issue on startup (LNT4665FX)
by bigmikexd / June 30, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

My Samsug LN4665FX when powered on would have the red and blue ambient light both come on with no picture. It would click maybe twenty to thirty times before the picture would actually come on. Today I called samsung about the issues I was having with it. I was told by the customer service that they would do a one time service call for me. Samsung has HD Electronics in Houston, who is supposed to arrange an appointment in the next day or so to replace all the capacitors. I question if they are ackowledging they used bad capacitors in the first place and they feel obligated to replace them. Either way my TV will get fixed. Thank You Samsung.

Collapse -
Bad Capacitors
by ldsaab / July 30, 2010 2:00 PM PDT

I too am a victim of Samsung capacitor problem. I purchased the LN-T4665F on Aug 30, 2007. My TV started this clicking sound when trying to power-up about three months ago. Now it takes about three clicking on/off before the TV turn on. I decided to surf the web to see if I was the lone victim...no, I am not. Thanks for this web and a lot of helpful good hearted folks. I called Samsung last night and they told me my TV is not on the list for repair and gave me a local electrical company to call. I called them today and their charge to drive to my house is $175.00 plus whatever it will cost me to repair the TV. So, this weekend my home project will be to repair the set myself. I've no electrical experience but willing to take on this problem. I'll post later how I made out with the repair. I too, will never buy another Samsung product. I am thinking of Sony in the future for television. Am I ticked off with Samsung? YES.

I replace three capacitors 10V with the 35V today 7/30/2010. My TV is working great now.

Collapse -
Capacitors: need help replacing.
by akaotikpnoy / August 3, 2010 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Bad Capacitors

Is it possible for you to help me with a write up on how you replace the caps and get the LCD working again. Any help would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
Replacing your Capacitors
by ldsaab / August 3, 2010 7:53 AM PDT

Yes, it was easy repair. There are many places online that folks have provided good info. The site I used was on YouTube, go to this guy website and he has a video on replacing the capacitors: milosmommy's Channel.
Also, go to this site: (http://www.earthinfo.org/samsung-tv-makes-a-strange-clicking-sound/comment-page-14) and there is a diagram on replacing the capacitors and many tracks on the caps problems. The hardest part is de-soldering the old caps out- just make sure you replace them with 1000uf 16v or 1000uf25v, I use 1000uf 35v. It you replace them with the 1000uf 10v you will have the same problem in 2.5 years. I use the easy process I found on one of the track:

1. Laid the TV Face down on a padded Table and removed all the screws. The top just Pops off.
2. There is a protective cover over the circuit board. unscrew and pull off.
3. Unhook all of the wire attachments that connect the board to the rest of the TV and unscrew the 6 screws that hold the board down and pull it out.
4. There were 3 bulging capacitors on the top right. you can take the whole board into radio shack and they will tell you what replacements to buy. (I Upgraded to 35v to prevent future problems). The caps are $1.59 at Radio Shack. You will need the capacitors, a soldering iron, solder, and a 6 inch long nose pliers. I spent about $35.00 and two hours of my time and my TV was working as new again.
5. de-soldered the backs of the three capacitors and clipped the leads.
6. Put the new capacitors in their place (watch for the polarity. bent the leads to the side to hold them tight and soldered them down.

Note : to those attempting this, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE POLARITY OF THE NEW CAPACITORS YOU PUT IN. There is a POSITIVE and NEGATIVE side to a capacitor ( indicated by a white line across the length ) and on the main board where the capacitor goes, you?ll find half of the circle where the original capacitor rested painted with diagonal lines. The NEGATIVE side of the new capacitor goes there. Make sure to check for that.

Good luck and let me know how you made out.

Collapse -
No dice.
by akaotikpnoy / August 5, 2010 11:01 PM PDT

Thank you for the great write up. I did the fix. Didn't work for me though. Upon inspection of the PS board, none of the caps were bulging. I did replace 3 of the 10 volt 1000uf caps with 35volt 1000uf and made sure polarity was correct. I think I have a different issue as the tv powers on with sound but no picture.

Collapse -
No Dice
by ldsaab / August 6, 2010 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: No dice.

ou are welcome. I am sorry you are still having a problem. Try googling your problem to see if anyone out there are having the same problem as well.

Collapse -
LCD? if so, you might have a Floresent light issue
by sammymytv / August 7, 2010 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: No dice.

Hi

I had a Panasonic LCD with a issue with the electronics relating to the Florescent back light.

If you look at the TV screen closely can you see any sort of picture? is so, then its most likely back light... Not sure how you'd fixed it; but it might help you to find a solution

Collapse -
blown capacitors
by DES819 / February 6, 2011 6:16 AM PST

Took your advice and pulled the power supply board and sure enough found 3 bad capacitors and one that was starting to bulge. Radio Shack had the replacements (35v). Removed old and soldered new ones in (paying attention to polarity). My LN-T4066F is now up and running again good as new. Thanks so much for the tip.

Collapse -
youtube has lots of videos. Very easy Fix
by sammymytv / August 7, 2010 12:25 PM PDT

i found all the required videos on Youtube.... Search "samsung capacitor replacement", and you'll get lots of hits

Very easy fix as long as your a little competent with a solder iron.

From what I've been able to figure out.. the failure related to Samsung using 10 volt capacitors with a 12 volt design ..which is kind of inline with only my 10volt capacitors needing replacing.

Basically designed to fail.. Guess they intentionally want you to buy a new TV every 1-2 years

My time was was broken out as:

- 40 mins to drive to buy $4.00 CAD worth of parts (bought 4 capacitors with same rating but 25v rated... only needed 2.. spares.. just in case)
- 1 hour to take the TV off the wall (Couldn't remember how I put it up initially, and couldn't fine the manual..it was new-years.. there was beer... So took baby steps as no use really breaking it through a 4 foot drop.. lol)
- 1/2 hour to take the TV apart
- 5 mins to remove existing blown caps (very obvious)
- 5 mins to solder new ones in
- 10 mins to put the TV back together
- 2 mins to test
- 10 mins to put in back on the wall mount

Piece of cake

To Samsung... 1) Hire Engineers with better common sense 2) Step up and fix what is obviously a huge Design Flaw..

Collapse -
Same problem
by jdautel1 / September 1, 2010 1:49 AM PDT

2 years old....Started clicking 2mos. ago....Put up with it and then I decided to get it fixed. Called Samsung and they stated a Tech. would come out ......free of charge...in 1 to 2 days.....Now that's pretty good service. Should not have happened in the 1st place, but I will take a free fix.

Collapse -
confronted samsung--awaiting response
by smattord / August 24, 2010 9:54 AM PDT

I clearly have the same problem, that's why I'm writing here. Mine has been occurring for some two years now, progressively worsening.

So I called Samsung just now after reading that they're covering selected individuals. I learned from a representative that they're repairing models that were manufactured between October 2007 and June 2008 that are affected by these blown capacitors. My television was manufactured in March 2007. I'm therefor not covered and am SOL. I let her know that was completely unreasonable, and she agreed. I was transferred to an 'executive customer service' rep. I told the whole story over again, and she also agreed that it was completely unreasonable.

At this point I pushed for something to be done. She allegedly contacted a manager through email to review all of this information (I also noted that she should add in her email that a simple google search of 'LNT-4665 clicking' would show the severity of the issue). I was told that within two days I'd be contacted with news.

Now, just to vent a little: I'm an EE senior at UT Austin and I'm perfectly capable of repairing this with a multimeter, a few cheap capacitors, and a little soldering. The problem, though, is that this TV's 46 inches big, heavy, and oblong. For all the ridiculous money I paid for it, I shouldn't be expected to repair my own television regarding a manufacture's defect. Furthermore, for those that aren't qualified, they deserve a recall as well. Luckily for them, I'm willing to sit on hold for half an hour; unfortunately for them, this probably won't change this situation for all of us Samsung TV owners. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Collapse -
Samsung covers this problem
by Hoboninjapirate / September 27, 2010 6:03 AM PDT

I have an LN-T4066F that is 3 years old in a little over a month. I have the exact same issue as you guys and many others are having where the TV clicks for a while before starting up and eventually instead of starting up it just displays a lot of vertical lines(sometimes black and white, other times multiple colors) or a solid colors(RED, PINK, GREEN, ETC.) The only TV or remote button that worked was ON/OFF when this happened. The last time it was able to start up it looked like it had a bunch of dead pixels but they weren't, some pixels just hadn't changed from when the menu/source icon was there and they were fine the next time I started it up(except for displaying those vertical lines). I called Samsung, told them my problem and they said Samsung is allowing a one time repair free of charge for TVs with this problem. They never asked if the TV was registered, when or where I bought it or anything other than my number and address. So please, call Samsung, they got me taken care of in 5 minutes and it didn't involve any arguing or yelling or anything(I work retail so I know what it's like to deal with people(babies) who think the louder they yell the more likely they'll get helped.)

Collapse -
Same Issue Same Resolution
by DexInChicago / November 29, 2010 3:43 AM PST

Just call Samsung they will have it repaired for free with/without warranty

Collapse -
DexInChicago, Do Reps Have DISCRETION???
by Antematter / December 18, 2010 8:36 AM PST

Does this mean that phone reps for Samsung have the DISCRETION to allow or deny a fixing of this problem? Because I got a "no" from SAMSUNG today! What is the best way to approach SAMSUNG to get a uniform response?
Thanks!

Collapse -
Just some tips.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 8:42 AM PST

Some folk go into the call with all guns blazing, mad as hell and it never ends well. Also, any mention of going legal and they may take you up on that, file a note that you are seeking legal avenues and this turns it into a legal matter and not a fix or warranty issue.

With that out of the way, always get a transaction number then top post your issues with that number so the great Samsung folk hear can look and see if there is a way.
Bob

Collapse -
"Clicking" & "On-Off/Pixel" Problem with Samsung LNT 4665
by Antematter / December 18, 2010 8:17 AM PST

The same thing is happening with my Samsung LNT 4665 (46") bought in Oct. 2007 from BestBuy in western Canada. I called 1-800-SAMSUNG and was told that this was NOT a known or recognized problem as far as Samsung is concerned, and therefore not covered by any sort of warranty. I was given a Samsung-authorized repair service phone number in my area. The service centre I called was in South Carolina, so I know it's not just a Canadian Samsung Service Centre response.
I told the woman at Samsung that there were lots of people who have posted online who are having the same problem. She said that she had never heard of the problem occurring before.
So, I called the repair shop. I don't want to go digging around in the guts of that thing, not for paying 2400 bucks for it plus taxes.
I think SAMSUNG should pony-up for whatever the repairs cost if it is a known capacitor problem.

Collapse -
To speed things along.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2010 8:25 AM PST

When you post, give the transaction number if you make a call stateside.

Collapse -
Transaction Number?
by Antematter / December 18, 2010 8:40 AM PST
In reply to: To speed things along.

Do you mean the original purchase transaction number from the retailer, or is there some sort of "trouble-report" transaction number that the SAMSUNG Service Centre goes by?
Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.