Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LNA850S1F and vertical lines of red pixels

by jane keene / March 17, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

The 850 intermittently shows red pixels flashing on and off all over the screen, scrolling up and down in a vertical fashion.

Is this a known VSCAN issue with LCD's in general or a Samsung problem?

Do I try to adjust VSCAN myself or have a service call placed?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LNA850S1F and vertical lines of red pixels
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LNA850S1F and vertical lines of red pixels
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 18, 2009 10:04 AM PDT

jane keene,

Welcome to the forum.

Is this issue happening only on the cable/sat input, or on all inputs?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by jane keene / March 18, 2009 9:42 PM PDT

I get the red dots immediately upon switching to PS3 on the PS3 menu screen, and after a few minutes watching cable.

It does seem to be getting worse, happening more frequently
becoming more noticeable and more quickly upon start up.

I am using high quality HDMI cables and have clean power, dedicated lines, power conditioning, well grounded, etc.,

This is an LCD issue. I would like a tech sent out to check the VSCAN settings, possibly replace control board, or swap out the 850.

It is obvious this is not an isolated incident,
as there are many posts on this issue with Samsung, LG, Visio, Sharp and other LCD's as well. I would have expected the Samsung to be a better product.

Sony units do not seem to be effected with this problem, so there must be a common design flaw/ part defect within the other LCD products.

This unit is less than three months old, and I am not happy.

Zip Code - 19053
Who is the service provider,as I can't seem to find one in my area.

Collapse -
Samsung LCD Support
by jane keene / March 22, 2009 7:37 AM PDT

I must have hit a nerve @ Samsung. No response as of yet,and no service in my area.

Buyer Beware.
I am not going away and we still start blogging other sites until I get some support.

Samsung tech where are you?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 22, 2009 3:02 PM PDT

jane keene,

Currently it's just me answering questions on the board. I apologize for the delay - I'm helping everyone's issues, and post traffic is high this week.

I'm not sure how "not isolated" this is, as I've seen very few posts regarding red scan lines, but regardless, give 800-SAMSUNG a call, open up a service ticket and they'll assign an authorized service tech in your area to come out and diagnose/repair your television.

I don't expect anyone to go away, and actually, I look forward to assisting in fixing issues.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Vertical lines appeared today
by 1st_on_the_Turf / April 2, 2009 1:25 PM PDT

We have had our Samsung LN46A650A1F up and running for only about 1 1/2 months. Now (today for the first time) we have vertical color lines (mostly red, but other colors as well) on both satellite and OTA antenna signals.

What to do?

Collapse -
Flashing Red Pixels
by jane keene / April 2, 2009 9:46 PM PDT

My issue with red pixels flashing on and off in a vertical fashion all across the screen is still an issue. Samsung sent a tech out and of course it didn't happen.

Problem is very intermittent and only seems to appear after LCD has been on for over a hour.

Once the red pixels start flashing, If I shut every thing down the red pixels go away, and then re-appear in about a half hour.

I am going to have to get a hard failure before Samsung will be able to diagnose so I have to live with it for now.

Collapse -
Flashing Red Pixels
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2009 5:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Flashing Red Pixels

jane keene,

If you can get a digital photograph of the problem and upload it to Photobucket.com or imageshack.com, along with your transaction number, I'd be happy to forward that to our service department for your consideration.

Keep me posted - I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to get it fixed, but maybe I can assist.

--HDTech

Collapse -
What is the transcation #
by jane keene / April 16, 2009 4:56 AM PDT

I have a digital pic of red lines/ dots.

Funny when I turn of LCD for a minute or so and turn back on
red dots and dashes are gone.

Collapse -
Red vertical lines on Samsung LCD TV
by zehnmarley / December 10, 2009 9:51 AM PST

Did you find out what the problem was? I having this problem with my 40in Samsung

Collapse -
Vertical lines appeared today
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 3, 2009 5:48 PM PDT

1st_on_the_Turf,

How is your satellite connected to the television, and do you have any other inputs where this happens?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Source Connections
by 1st_on_the_Turf / April 4, 2009 6:01 AM PDT

The satellite is connected by component video, we also have OTA antenna, Wii (composite) and DVD (HDMI). The vertical lines appear with all sources. I disconnected the OTA antenna cable, suspecting some related interference was the culprit, but to no avail.

Collapse -
Source Connections
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 4, 2009 4:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Source Connections

1st_on_the_Turf,

It definitely sounds like an issue internally with the television. I'd suggest calling 800-SAMSUNG to schedule a service on your unit.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Red Lines appearing on picture
by scrapps76 / December 9, 2010 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Source Connections

I'm having the same problem with a brand new 46" C650. It's doing it intermittently from different sources. Not very happy.

Collapse -
Red Lines appearing on picture
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 9, 2010 9:29 AM PST

scrapps76,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue. It's not common on the 2010 models that I've seen, but encourage you to either work with your retailer or call 800-SAMSUNG to have them come out and inspect your set.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Did anyone figure out the red lines?
by heatherjo811 / March 19, 2011 1:08 PM PDT

We have a Samsung 850 52" that we purchased in January of 2009. It was great until this past fall (fall 2010). We now get red lines. They always come in a pair, 2 very thin solid red lines about 2 inches apart from each other. They're typically on the right hand side of the screen about an inch from the edge. I say typically because yesterday they started appearing on the bottom of the screen. Again, always 2 thin lines about 2 inches apart from each other. Very strange. They don't flash or change colors. They're solid lines. Always red. They're not dependent on tne video source, happening when we are watching satellite tv live or recorded, PS3 games or DVD's. They aren't always there, they will come on and stay on for a while (sometimes just around 30 minutes other times for a few hours), but they don't flash. They are either there or not.

Obviously we're out of warranty, but would love some insight into what the heck is going on. Thanks!

Collapse -
Check out this exchange with Samsung support:
by jtrichter / April 4, 2011 11:46 AM PDT

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Benjamin'.
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4380717901X
Visitor: hello?
Visitor: you there?
Visitor: Benjamin?
Benjamin: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: well, i have been getting dotted red vertical lines on my TV for a few days now
Benjamin: I'm sorry for the delay.
Visitor: it happens on all imputs
Visitor: and i researched it a little on-line.
Visitor: it seems to be happening to a lot of your tvs
Visitor: there are multiple online discussions about it if you google the pblm
Visitor: what's the issue?
Benjamin: Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll help you with the issue.
Benjamin: Could you provide me the model number of the TV?
Visitor: it's the LN 850
Visitor: LN46A850S1F
Benjamin: Thank you for providing the model number.
Benjamin: I'm really sorry. There are no issues reported to Samsung on this model.
Visitor: that's not true
Visitor: they are all over the internet
Benjamin: Is the Menu also affected ?
Visitor: yes - menu is affected
Benjamin: Thank you for confirming.
Visitor: and people have not only reported it but they have coppied online conversations with samsung in which they have complained about this very problem
Visitor: i just looked it uip
Benjamin: I understand your concern. There are some issues reported to Samsung on some products. There are no particular issues reported to Samsung on this product.
Visitor: that's not true
Visitor: look onlone
Visitor: online
Visitor: lots of people are having this pblm with your LCDs
Visitor: so what's going on?
Benjamin: Sure. I'll report this issue to out technical department.
Benjamin: Please perform a Picture reset on the TV to isolate the issue further.
Visitor: huh?
Benjamin: Please press MENU>> PICTURE >> PICTURE SETTINGS>> PICTURE RESET.
Benjamin: Please press Ok to reset the picture settings.
Benjamin: Please let me know the if the issue still persists.
Visitor: I will do this later
Visitor: and then will get back to you
Visitor: and i will post this online so others can see this problem and we can show you it happens all the time on this product
Benjamin: Sure. If the issue still persists, please get back to us. We will be glad to assist you. We are available 24/7.
Visitor: thank you
END

Collapse -
dotted red vertical lines on Samsung LN46A850S1F.
by ashleydomantay / September 9, 2011 8:08 AM PDT

i have same issue with same model "LN46A850S1F". Is there a fix already about this issue?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.