Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN52A650 w/ Sony playstation 3 letterbox movie help!

by zman369 / June 12, 2008 8:02 AM PDT

Anyone who can tell me how i can watch my blu-ray movies on the playstation 3 in full screen i need to change settings on playstation or the sammy tv...and if so what and where do i do that......thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN52A650 w/ Sony playstation 3 letterbox movie help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN52A650 w/ Sony playstation 3 letterbox movie help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Following up...
by Mr__S / June 26, 2008 3:20 PM PDT

The first question is whether or not the black bars are on the top and bottom or on the side. Most BD movies are shot in a format that is still wider than 16:9. This is an aspect ratio called 2.35:1 (16:9 is 1.78:1). As a result, they shrink the movie to fit resulting in black bars. You can use Samsung?s Picture Size options to make these go away, but you end up cropping the sides of the movie.

If the black bars are on the side (and maybe also on the top of bottom), then there?s a setting somewhere in the PS3, but I?m not terribly familiar with that product.

Collapse -
Kind of a like question

I JUST bought a Samsung LNT4071F 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD, went to watch what was called a widescreen, enhanced for 16:9 movie on it through a dvd player. dvd player is set to 16:9, tv is on 16:9 and I am also getting the black bars on top and bottom.

maybe I did not understand this, but after watching 'widescreen' movins on my old standard tv that way I was assuming/thinking on my widescreen tv I would get a full screen, not the cutoff letterbox format.

I posted the same question on the main board then saw this thread. am I experiencing the same thing? if so, why would the movies state they are enhanced for 16:9 tv's? If I do Zoom 1 it fills the screen, but when I do I lose part of the picture and it looks distorted size wise a bit.

ps as a side note I LOVE my tv except now having confusion on this issue. would recommend samsung in a second. great tv

Collapse -
it's normal
by drewu / July 17, 2008 8:52 AM PDT

If the bars are on the top & bottom, that's just how the director wanted it. some movies are 2.35:1, some are 16:9.

Collapse -
by CyclonicKitten / July 19, 2008 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: it's normal

Samsung Guy and thie poster above are exactly correct. I get a lot of people in my store ask me this question. But you will still get black bars if the film was shot wider than a 16:9 ratio. Star Wars for example has HUGE bars because G. Lucas likes to shoot very wide. This being said, you will still see more of the picture on the widescreen TV than on a 4:3 TV even if both TVs have the bars. Some movies have em some dont. A movie is like a box of chocolates....oh nevermind.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.