Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN46B650 Thin Black Horizontal Lines

by babes808gpa / January 11, 2010 7:51 AM PST

Sorry about previous post.

I'm experiencing thin black lines from the top of the screen to the bottom. It covers about a 1/3 of the entire screen. Did a Picture Test still no improvement. I played a DVD as well, I still see the lines. I viewed HD as well as Standard channels, still see the lines. Any advise?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN46B650 Thin Black Horizontal Lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN46B650 Thin Black Horizontal Lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LN46B650 Thin Black Horizontal Lines
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 12, 2010 9:32 AM PST

babes808gpa,

I just responded to your other post. Sorry about that.

We know that it happens on several inputs now, but how many lines are there and where are they on the screen?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Black Horizontal Lines
by mhans14 / January 12, 2010 10:26 PM PST

I've had the same problem with my TV for a couple months. My lines go across the entire screen and almost look like shadows. I was told by a technician on another tech website that it is probably a power supply issue, that it's not gettting enough power. Do you think that is true? I only have (1) HDMI input from my cable box.

Collapse -
Thin black lines on 46b650 screen
by babes808gpa / January 15, 2010 1:42 AM PST

lines are about 1/4 inch apart from top to bottom of screen. starts on the right and about a 1/3 of the way toward the middle it fades. called sears spoke to a tech he's sending two parts for a sears tech to install. mentioned it could be an internal cable.

Collapse -
thin black lines 46b650 same problem
by speedrocks84 / January 18, 2010 12:04 PM PST

yesterday i was playing games i noticed the same problem that you have babes808gpa it wasnt there when i first bought the tv its only 7-8 months old and i barely use it, i did multiple test switching too my dvd, wii, and looking at picture, its still there so i looked on the forums too see if anyone have the exact same problem, my lcd tv has multiple lines are horizontal it starts from the right and fades too the left, the color is light grey, im calling samsung tomorrow, can you post if you got yours fixed or if you found out what the problem is babes808gpa thanks!

Collapse -
Is your problem fixed?
by Prasooth / November 26, 2013 2:20 AM PST

Hi,

I am also having the same problem.

Please let me know how do you fix this problem

Collapse -
Led Fix
by davedavid85 / July 22, 2014 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Is your problem fixed?

I had the same problem with my Samsung LED tv. I was able to fix it for no money, all on my own. It took a little bit to get the picture back but it was a very easy fix. Watch this video on YouTube. I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vl7-vZEL8

Collapse -
cable
by mhans14 / January 21, 2010 11:22 AM PST

Did you have the "internal cable" replaced yet? If so, did it work?

Collapse -
thin black lines on 46B650
by babes808gpa / January 28, 2010 1:28 AM PST
In reply to: cable

Having the tech replace an internal cable and panel today (1.28.10). I will keep you informed.

Collapse -
thin black lines on 46ln650
by babes808gpa / January 28, 2010 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: cable

Problem resolved!!!! Sears Tech came in and replaced the internal cable and put in a new panel. At this very moment, NO LINES! The parts used were: BN96-10075A for the Cable and BN07-00671B LCD Panel. Total fix cost was listed at $1700.00. Luckily I was covered by warranty. Took 1/2 hour to complete. Hope this helps you and speedrocks.

Collapse -
46b650 thin black lines
by babes808gpa / January 15, 2010 1:50 AM PST

no i did not try other component connections. i use component because i'm using my "old" denon receiver with no hdmi jacks.

Collapse -
internal cable
by mhans14 / January 15, 2010 2:10 AM PST

If it does end up being the cable, could you see if you could get a part # of the cable from the Sears repair person? I had another tech website tell me that it was either the power supply, or it was the thick cable that runs from the power supply to the control panel. If replacing the cable works for you, I'd love to know. It would certainly be a lot cheaper to replace that cable than the power supply. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes.
Mark

Collapse -
thin black lines
by mhans14 / January 26, 2010 8:10 AM PST

just wondering if replacing the "internal cable" fixed the problem?

Collapse -
We have the same problem....
by kwfindleyjr / April 17, 2011 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: thin black lines

46" Samsung LCD. Horizontal black lines. TV is out of warrenty. Paid $2K for the set. Paid the extra coin for the Samsung over the off brands because I didn't want to chance the TV breaking. Very upset to say the least. Samsung needs to make this right.

Collapse -
Have the same issue
by Chris from Kazoo / September 15, 2011 10:04 AM PDT

Black lines across the whole screen. This is the Second Samsung. Needless to say I will not buy another. As I suspect the cost will be the same as purchasing a new TV.

Collapse -
Yet another with the same issue
by Ranger_Grofaz / January 12, 2012 12:07 PM PST
In reply to: Have the same issue

Wow - I really had perceived (and even recommended) their products as "top of the line" in terms of quality and performance.
No more praise or purchases from me.

Collapse -
same problem
by freeusername / May 5, 2012 11:16 AM PDT

I have a similar problem but my scan lines start left on the entire left side and begin to fade 1/2 way across the screen.
in other forums ( AV experts forums) they are saying its a bad lcd since it occurs on all sources.

Collapse -
As a general rule...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 7, 2012 1:41 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem
Collapse -
Same Issues
by Rashaad373 / September 24, 2012 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: As a general rule...

I am having the same issue that all the prior customers are having. Before it was the power on/off issue which I fixed out of pocket. Then now this with the black horizontal lines. I am extremely frustrated when I paid so much money to purchase this television and then Samsung want to say its a service issue when obviously we don't all use the same service or are not the same servicer. There has to be something done because this is outrageous. What can Samsung do to better serve their customers when their customers have taken great care of their television which ultimately has taken care of the Samsung company?

Collapse -
same problem with lot of extras
by suryasanka / May 7, 2012 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

Similar problem horizontal thin black lines spacing 1/4 inch from top to bottom. Started on Friday 05/04/2012. Tried different power out let and different inputs. no luck. Tired power recycle for 2 hours no luck. haven't switched on the unit till 05/06/2012. Switched it on again on 05/06/2012. Loosing power often. 4 to 5 times in 15 minutes. except for volume and channel button, tv is not responding for remote. Not responding to touch buttons on the front panel also. Only way to turn it off is by pulling the power cord.
I barley used the tv. out of warranty period. service center is asking around 80 for quote. Too expensive.

Collapse -
UN46B6000 Black Lines
by ejh1919 / November 29, 2012 9:56 AM PST

I am also experiencing the thin horizontal black lines, along with an image freeze while a show continues. Has anyone tried to take Samsung to small claims court to get them to refund the purchase price of the TV or get them to replace the tv at no charge. These tv's are far to expensive $2,000+ to break within 2 to 4 years.

Personally, I am considering the small claims court route and believe I have a good shot to have Samsung stand behind their product.

Collapse -
Any Luck
by Web-Design-Columbia-SC / November 3, 2013 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: UN46B6000 Black Lines

So has anyone had any luck solving this problem?
Cheers,
Matthew Rings
DBL07.co

Collapse -
Does Samsung fix this?
by Web-Design-Columbia-SC / November 27, 2013 12:17 PM PST
In reply to: Any Luck
Collapse -
Led Fix
by davedavid85 / July 22, 2014 4:40 AM PDT

I had the same problem with my Samsung 40" LED tv. I was able to fix it for no money, all on my own. It took a little bit to get the picture back but it was a very easy fix. Watch this video on YouTube. I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7vl7-vZEL8

Collapse -
AV SERVICE company diagnosed line problem as bad LCD panel
by motorcom / September 17, 2013 2:57 AM PDT

Our SAMSUNG is a LN46B610AF. I bought kit in 2009 and now it's diagnosed as having a defective LCD panel with a replacement cost of $1000 !!!

I have never ever had a TV crap out that was just 4 years old, regardless of cost.

Scouring the internet, this is a common problem and the manufacturer should be held to account.

Based on this experience, we will never, ever buy another SAMSUNG product.

Collapse -
UN46B7100
by Zacharygoodrie / September 17, 2013 6:57 AM PDT

Same issue.. It's a shame that Samsung isn't compensating customers like us on a common issue like this. Especially since they are all within 4 years old. Who spends $1700+ on something that will last 2-4 years?

Collapse -
did they tell you how much to fix it?
by Web-Design-Columbia-SC / November 27, 2013 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: UN46B7100
Collapse -
2009 Samsung 55 inch UNB7000 black horizontal lines
by svahldic / July 14, 2015 9:29 AM PDT

I now had the same problem creep up. This TV was $3300 when it came out, got for $2500 6-12 months later. Called a technician about problem, they said screen is going bad, $1000 to fix or just go buy a new one. Black horizontal lines show about every quarter inch on all input channels. I thought one advantage of LCDs over plasma is they would last forever. Who cares if a plasma starts to lose blackness after 10 years if LCD goes bad in 6 years or less. The internet is full of posts about Samsung LCDs with black lines now on TVs only as old as 2 years. I still have a Mitsubishi 35" TV with picture tube that is 18 years old and still working. Very disappointed in Samsung LCD life. Great review on TV when new but feel lied to about the technology. Certainly not going to trust buying Samsung phone or appliances now either regardless of review when they are new if they are only going to develop major problems down the road, and i'm definitely not buying an expensive Samsung TV ever again.

Collapse -
Here's the thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2015 9:39 AM PDT

Almost all the consumer brand TVs you see is stores are 5 year designs. Don't believe me? Just look at forums filled with this issue.

https://www.google.com/#q=black+bands+on+lcd+tv finds Samsung, Sony and other makers that have this failure. Samsung's market share means you will see it more often.

Mitsubishi is no stranger to product issues. Just look at their DLP DMD issues.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.