Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung ln46b550 LCD - backlight/IR quirks

by toaster50 / May 30, 2009 8:07 PM PDT

I purchased this LCD TV about 6 weeks ago. In darker scenes, the backlighting on the left side of the screen is very uneven using default settings. There is a band 5 - 6 inches wide, which extends from the top to the bottom of the screen, which is much lighter than the rest of the image in dark scenes. This can be tweaked by reducing backlighting to zero & increasing overall brightness to compensate. However, the lighter 'band' cannot be eliminated this way and the aforementioned tweaking degrades overall image quality. 2nd issue is: when you reduce backlighting to zero, the IR for the satellite dish stops working. Samsung tech support has not been able to resolve this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung ln46b550 LCD - backlight/IR quirks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung ln46b550 LCD - backlight/IR quirks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung ln46b550 LCD - backlight/IR quirks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 31, 2009 5:01 AM PDT

It seems like turning the backlight to 0, as you described, creates a second problem. Let's address the first problem that causes you to want to reduce the backlight, which is the screen uniformity.

You may set up a service ticket and have a service technician come out and diagnose the initial problem (if you can reproduce it in his presence, I've found that helps!). You can call 800-SAMSUNG and have a tech scheduled to come out, if you'd like. Ideally, if we're able to fix this issue, then you won't have to drop your backlight levels.

Keep me posted.

Collapse -
by toaster50 / May 31, 2009 1:06 PM PDT

Initially, the IR problem was job #1 ie the satellite remote would not work ~ 70% of the time - irrespective of backlight setting. The major IR problem was a) verified by a tech on-site and b) resolved to the extent I describe in my last post. FYI, the correlation between backlighting/IR interference is an assessment made by me after "job #1" was resolved by the tech. That said, in previous convos w/both Samsung support & on-site techs about the backlighting issue (as an issue of secondary importance to the more troublesome IR problem), my take away was that tech support generally feels that such uniformity anomolies are inherent in LCDs and that I need to learn to live with it. On-site techs, when troubleshooting the larger IR problem have stated they did not perceive a backlighting anomoly. Unfortunately, I do perceive the lack of uniformity and my previous LCD experiences belies the view that one should learn to live with it. I'll take your recommend and call support back and see what happens if the backlighting issue (v IR interference) is upgraded to concern #1.

Collapse -
ln40A550 IR issue
by rfallin76 / April 26, 2010 5:08 AM PDT

I too have an issue with my tv blasting IR interference whenever the screen is dark, but my model is a ln40A550. Samsung will not repair it, because it isn't a known issue with "my model", and its out of warranty. I didn't even know about the problem until after the warranty had expired. I discovered the issue when I bought a Roku device whose remote won't work because it can't over come the Samsung interference.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.