Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN46A650 TV keeps switching on and off

by salilsurendran / January 23, 2013 4:48 PM PST

Hello,
I have a Samsung TV LN46A650 which was connected to a PC. It had recycled itself a few times. At that time I thought this was an issue with the video card getting too hot and I shutdown the computer and after sometime the problem would be gone. This issue would happen very rarely. However, I connected it to a Roku box about a month ago and it has started turning on and off more frequently. I thought it was the capacitor problem that people were talking about and called Samsung. They sent a technician who said that all my capacitors were fine. he replaced it anyway but still my TV keeps giving me the same problem. I tried connecting my laptop to the TV and that has the same problem. It won't even work when connected to an aerial. Sometimes it will work for sometime and then randomly switch on and off. Sometimes it will make a jarring sound and then turn off. I checked the power supply with a multimeter and tried HDMI and AV output ports and also different power supplies same problem. Contacted Samsung about the problem and they said that they will get in touch with me in 2 days and this was last Thursday and no one has got in touch with me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN46A650 TV keeps switching on and off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN46A650 TV keeps switching on and off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: LN46A650 TV keeps switching on and off
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 24, 2013 12:11 AM PST
Collapse -
No help from Samsung
by salilsurendran / January 30, 2013 10:14 AM PST

I contacted Samsung support but because my TV is out of warranty they won't fix it. Is there anything I can do to solve this issue other than buying a new TV?

Collapse -
Re: LN46A650 TV keeps switching on and off
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 31, 2013 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: No help from Samsung

Hi salilsurendran,

Yes, you contact one of the service centers and ask for an estimate.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
$300 for repair
by salilsurendran / January 31, 2013 5:23 AM PST

I already did and they will charge me $300 to replace the mainboard and even then they are not sure if that will repair the problem. I spent $1550 on this TV 4 years ago. I can probably get a new TV for around $600. Never again will I buy a Samsung TV. Why isn't there a lawsuit against these guys when over 7.5 million sets have been affected.

Collapse -
Do you do your own work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2013 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: $300 for repair

www.samsungparts.com and shopjimmy may have that board. Labor is a big part of the work and http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=ln46a650a1fxza seems to list the big board at 120 bucks but I can't find the full model in your posts.

As to your legal question I think there's a reason for that in the warranty is only a year on such things. If you want to supply the full model number I'll look again for a board if you want.
Bob

Collapse -
Model number is LN46A650A1F
by salilsurendran / February 13, 2013 7:38 AM PST

Model number is LN46A650A1F but shopjimmy only has LN46A650A1FXZA. Are they both the same? All of them are out of stock.

Collapse -
I went to samsungparts.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 7:50 AM PST
Collapse -
Gonna buy this part
by salilsurendran / February 13, 2013 12:45 PM PST

I am going to buy BN94-01666R which is right mainboard for my TV LN46A650A1FXZA. I was wondering is there any test other than buying and installing a new mainboard to figure out that the mainboard is real problem. I have heard that the issue could be with other parts too.

Collapse -
That's where the repair tech has it all over us.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 12:59 PM PST
In reply to: Gonna buy this part

They can swap boards until they get the right one. And then only leave in the one we need. But we pay them for that. If you are doing your own repairs, you take all the risks.

Here's a tip from my years in repair -> When in doubt, replace the cheapest part first.
Bob

Collapse -
Opened up my TV
by salilsurendran / February 17, 2013 10:37 AM PST

I opened up the TV and with a multimeter I tested the voltages produced by the Power Supply board and saw that only PIN 3 produce 5.19 V all the other ports showed a solid 0. I was wondering as to how can this be the case since my TV does recycle but still does turn on sometimes. Other thing the board is labeled as 'IP-271135A' which translates to 'BN44-00202A' but shopjimmy.com says this is a substitute for 'BN44-00203A'. Is the problem that Samsung put a substitute part in my TV instead of the real one. I am going to buy a new power board. Which one should I buy the 'BN44-00203A' as specified by shopjimmy.com or the existing one in my TV 'IP-271135A'

Collapse -
Ask them?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: Opened up my TV

I can't guess these without the service manual so be sure to check those manuals.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.