HDTV Picture Setting

General discussion

Samsung LN46A550 picture settings

by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / March 4, 2009 6:10 AM PST

Review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-ln46a550/4505-6482_7-32815315.html

Related products:
Samsung LN32A550
Samsung LN37A550
Samsung LN40A550
Samsung LN52A550
Samsung LN37A530
Samsung LN40A530
Samsung LN46A530
Samsung LN52A530

Below, you'll find the settings we found best for viewing the Samsung LN46A550 in a completely dark room via the HDMI input with a 1080p, film-based source. Your settings may very depending on source, room conditions, and personal preference. Check out the Picture settings and calibration FAQ for more information: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9996461-1.html

Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 91
Brightness: 48
Sharpness: 0
Color: 52
Tint: G50/R50

Detailed settings submenu
Black adjust: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: +3
Color space: Auto
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White balance submenu
R-Offset: 24
G-Offset: 23
B-Offset: 24
R-Gain: 26
G-Gain: 22
B-Gain: 18

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm2
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
DNIe: [grayed out]
HDMI black level: [grayed out]
Film mode: [grayed out]
Blue only mode: Off

Setup menu
Entertainment: Off
Energy saving: Off

--Setting the color and tint controls using Blue-only mode--

Samsung includes a specialized mode designed to make it easier for "AV device measurement experts," as the user manual puts it, to adjust the color control. Happily, anybody with a pair of eyes and access to a standard color bars pattern qualifies. Here's how to set it yourself.

1. After you've set up the other controls to your liking, get a color bars pattern onto the Samsung's screen. Your best bet is to use the SMPTE color bars pattern from a disc like Avia or Digital Video essentials. Or, if you're watching TV, you can wait until late at night when they show test patterns.

2. With the screen paused on the bars, navigate to the following menu:

Menu>[Picture mode; typically Movie]>Picture Options>Blue Only Mode>On

The screen will become entirely blue.

3. Go to the color adjustment:

Menu>[Picture mode]>Color

4. Look at the big blue bars on the far right and far left of the screen. Move the color control all the way up, then all the way down, and notice how the bars change in intensity. To set color correctly, you want to have both of those large bars match the intensity of both of the smaller, horizontal blue rectangles directly below the bars as closely as possible. It won't be perfect, and usually a setting around 50 is where you'll want to be.

5. Go to the tint adjustment:

Menu>[Picture mode]>Tint

Do the same thing, this time paring attention to the other two large blue bars to either side of the center black bar, and their intensity compared to the corresponding smaller blue rectangles directly below. Again, you'll probably end up near the middle of the range.

6. You'll notice that color and tint are interactive; moving one control also affects the intensity of the other control's corresponding bars and rectangles. The ideal end result is to have both sets of bars match their small rectangles in intensity as closely as possible.

7. You're done setting color. Return to the Picture Options menu and turn Blue Mode Only Mode off to return to full-color viewing.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN46A550 picture settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN46A550 picture settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Firmware Considerations
by mastaskillz33 / March 11, 2009 2:55 PM PDT

Thanks for the settings. I have a recent model ln40a550 with the 1008 firmware. Will the settings vary much between firmwares? Which firmware did you use to calibrate?

Collapse -
Shouldn't have any effect
by katzmaier CNET staff/forum admin / March 11, 2009 11:56 PM PDT

As far as I know, firmware revisions for this series don't affect broad picture settings.

Collapse -
Pictures settings for xbox 360
by SwagaHolic / July 24, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

With this same tv, can u tell me the picture settings for a xbox 360 connect to this tv.

Collapse -
Gamma= 2.2?
by Lockjaw333 / September 4, 2009 12:35 AM PDT

I noticed the Gamma is set to +3 in these settings. Does this still yield an overall Gamma of 2.2?

Just wondering because on my set, anything above Gamma -2 starts to take the set away from Gamma=2.2. However there is a noticeable loss in detail in the black areas that becomes visible with Gamma at +3.

Final Gamma values aren't given in the "Geek Box" numbers in the review article, so I was just wondering if this was sacrificed in order to avoid black crush.

Thanks!!!

Collapse -
Movie mode different audio
by violettj / September 5, 2009 11:45 AM PDT

Hi,
I watch plain dvd's using the rca yellow video and red and white audio inputs.

I like the Movie mode video, but do not like the audio. It has a frequency peak that hurts my ears.

How do I change the audio with this video setting? Or are there better video settings for this type of basic setup?

If I mess with the parameters, is there a way to reset them to defaults?

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.