Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN26A450C1DXZA won't turn on

by KenGross144 / May 25, 2009 11:12 AM PDT

I have another on of those Samsung TVs that won't turn on. It was plugged into several outlets which all tested good. But according to Samsung troubleshooting I have a bad power supply in the unit.

How prevalent is this problem? I am actually very upset about it right now. I don't have the box any longer and have to go to UPS to buy a box to ship it back to a third party service provider.

Apparently, according to the internet search I did, this is a known issue with several of the Samsung TVs. Should I look into possibly getting a set from a different manufacturer?

Thank you,
Ken

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN26A450C1DXZA won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN26A450C1DXZA won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LN26A450C1DXZA won't turn on
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 26, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

KenGross144,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

There are some reports of units shutting down, although very few of the model you have. There are hundreds of thousands of units sold every year without issue, and in the cases where something does go wrong, we do take care of the issue.

I can appreciate that finding a box and shipping it takes effort, but I trust if you send it to get serviced, it will be returned in working order.

--HDTech

Collapse -
3% rate of failure is hardly what I would call good quality
by KenGross144 / May 28, 2009 11:49 PM PDT

I know that you work for Samsung, but a 3% rate of failure for the same problem is NOT what I would call good design.

It means 3 out of every 100 devices will fail from the same problem.

Not since Commodore Business Machines was a company so foolish to think that this was an acceptable number. Do you know what happened to them? They put themselves out of business.

I hope that Samsung does not give in to the belief that they are infallible or that the customers will always buy their products. I have already taken a friend shopping for a new set. He bought a different brand based on my current experience. We also did a web search on this problem. I don't see how you can say this is an uncommon problem.

Thank you,
Ken

Collapse -
Failure rate
by skyscanr / May 29, 2009 1:45 AM PDT

Ken

I think the problem with samsung power supply is maybe more then 3%

If you do a search of the net you will see its pretty wide spread.

While I love samsung tvs I would say get the extended service plan from the store you buy it from so you don"t have to pay to ship it to get fixed .

They should be doing a recall on this problem as the power supply in my set went out in less then 16 months . Thank god I had a service plan on it or it would have been tough luck pay to get it fixed

Collapse -
3% rate of failure is hardly what I would call good quality
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 29, 2009 9:09 AM PDT

KenGross144,

With all due respect, you asked me how common this problem was, and I answered based on what little in information I have. Out of the many-thousands of units sold, reports of any brand can appear with similar symptoms, and just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it necessarily represents any other units other than the affected user posting about it.

I'm not going to address speculations, or percentages, or otherwise. But the figure you posted is terribly mis-calculated - if caluclated at all, and that's about as far as I can address that.

I hope the tone of this email is conveyed with the highest level of respect, as that is my intention.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDtech reply
by AGZ3 / February 20, 2013 4:19 AM PST

I understand that your tech people can handle the repair, and from your admission only a few sets have this problem, but it is a problem that for the money we pay for this unit, should not be happening.
May I be so bold to ask, who will pay for all the time, effort,shipping, and repairs for these defective units. Its not just the unit, but the inconvenience to family who at times need this as a relaxing avenue to a stressful day to fall asleep, and all of the searching for the right box, packaging, address, etc to get it all done including the time without a unit.
I would appreciate a response.
AGZ

Collapse -
Re: my reply
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 20, 2013 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: HDtech reply

Hi AGZ,

This was a post about 3.5 years ago. So it's not really update to date any more in general. I'll gladly address your question, but I wanted to disclaim that first.

Regarding the repair question, TVs aren't generally shipped in, but we have an authorized technician come out and fix the TV. If the TV is in warranty, we repair it free of charge. If you're out of warranty, we put you in touch with an authorized service center, and they'll let you not what their estimate of the charges are.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if there's anything else you need to know.

HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.