Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LN-T4061F problems turning on, picture random lines

by GillianSeed79 / October 15, 2009 4:00 AM PDT

So I purchased a 40 inch model LCD Samsung flatscreen LN-T4061F in September 2007. Recently there had been problems with the TV turning on. At first it would take a minute or two but it progressively got worse. Eventually, when it did turn on I'd get these random lines and colors and such. At first if I turned it off and back on the picture would be fine.

Just the other day I started experiencing "image persistence" problems, so I decided to turn the tv off and unplug for several hours.

Now it won't turn on unless I leave it unplugged for a few minutes and when it does it's just random lines.

I've never had a problem with a tv before. It's annoying because I still owe close to 600 bucks on it and now it's going to cost 150 bucks for the service guy just to look at it.

The service rep mentioned it might be a power supply problem. Could that mean it could be as simple as a faulty power socket on my end or is it something to do with the TV.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LN-T4061F problems turning on, picture random lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LN-T4061F problems turning on, picture random lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LN-T4061F problems turning on, picture random lines
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 15, 2009 6:16 AM PDT

GillianSeed79,

The service tech who looked at it will have a better idea since he's been able to look at it. Unfortunately, I can't offer a better diagnosis of what the issue might be.

--HDTech

Collapse -
40" Problem
by aljq / October 24, 2009 10:58 PM PDT

I bought my TV in August 2006 and am having the exact same problem. I find it hard to believe that Samsung Technical doesn't know about the problem or issued a technical advisor. Sounds like they're running for cover on this one.

Collapse -
Another one with the random lines problem
by Allthegoodnamesaretaken / October 28, 2009 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: 40" Problem

If enough of us post maybe they'll look into it.

Collapse -
More from another one with the random lines problem
by Allthegoodnamesaretaken / October 28, 2009 9:56 AM PDT

I took the back off mine. In the middle of the back is what appears to be a power supply board. On the upper left of that board (as viewed from the back) I saw three radial lead electrolytic capacitors that were puffed out on the end. This is a typeical sign that the dialectric has broken down. I replaced the capacitors and my TV acts like it did when it was new. The capacitors I replaced were all 100 uF 10 volt capacitors.

Collapse -
Correction
by Allthegoodnamesaretaken / October 30, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

On the upper RIGHT of the board. I wish this forum allowed post edits.

Collapse -
ln-t4061f turning on problem
by julieandjeff / November 3, 2009 8:56 AM PST

wow, i am having the exact same problem. I did an online chat today and she couldn't find a solution. I asked her if there was anyone else with this problem and she said it had not come up! interesting. I will attempt to come up with someone who will to look at the back of the tv to see if it is the same problem. shouldn't this be under something from samsung to warranty this common problem?
any advise let me know.

Collapse -
Same problem
by dwray71 / November 6, 2009 11:29 PM PST

I'm having the same problem. No luck so far finding a solution although the concensus seems to be that it is a power supply issue with the TV.

Collapse -
we are having the same problem-taking forever to turn on
by pattigebby1 / November 8, 2009 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Same problem

We went to Sears in August 2007 and bought model # LNT-4061FX/XAA and LNT-5265FX/XAA Samsung, our 52 has been doing the exact same thing, not turning on-keeps going through the motions, but no picture and it seems to be taking a lot longer after a month. We turn it on now and leave it because we know its going to take at least 10 mins to finally see a picture. The 40 just started doing the same thing-still in the early stages doesn't take as long to see the picture. We were recommending to our friends and family the Samsung tv..and we are in the market for another tv now..but after this with the two tv's we seriously are thinking of another brand! Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Samsung Technical elp
by aljq / November 8, 2009 6:51 AM PST

I called Samsung about the problem with taking too long to turn on and also the colored lines when it does come on. The tech I spoke with told me to unplug the TV and then hold the on/off button in for at least 15 seconds. I did this but it didn't change anything. I guess it's off to the repair shop. I won't be buying another Samsung. Sony or JVC will be my next choice. I've always had exception luck with any electronic equipment from either of them.

Collapse -
Potential fix for this problem.
by dwray71 / November 8, 2009 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung Technical elp
Collapse -
Buying Capacitors
by aljq / November 10, 2009 12:03 AM PST

Radio Shack did not have the capacitors. I bought mine online from Big Daddy Enterprises for $.25/ea. 2-7 days shipping time. I could not find them from any local electronic suppliers in the Virginia Beach area.

Collapse -
CORRECTION
by aljq / November 10, 2009 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: Buying Capacitors

The correct capacitors to replace are 1000UF-10V Radial Electrolytic Capacitors. Radio Shack does not carry them (don't use the 1000UF-35V that Radio Shack does carry as this could cause other component problems). I found them online at Tayda Electronics for $.22 each. I bought 12 as it is a 7-21 day shipment time. An electronics tech confirmed the capacitors are burned out by the outward bulging in the top cap (I brought the board with me to Radio Shack). There are 4 in all that require replacement. Good luck! Al Q.

Collapse -
Thanks
by dwray71 / November 10, 2009 8:45 AM PST
In reply to: CORRECTION

I'll give these a try. Good move by bringing in the board. That pretty much confirms things for me.

PS Now it takes 1.5 minutes for my TV to turn on, about a minute longer than a couple of days ago. May not seem like much but it is an eternity for my two kids!

I used to like Samsung but this will be the last Samsung product for me. They should acknowledge that this is recall worthy and fix them for free.

Collapse -
Fixed my Samsung
by aljq / November 22, 2009 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

I received my capacitors and it took about 1/2 hour to install. You definitely need a desoldering vacuum pump to remove the bad capacitors (bought one at Radio Shack for about $7). Be extremely careful when removing the bad capacitors that you don't tear the circuit board contact copper material from the base of the capacitor. It's easy to tear off. TV works like new.

Collapse -
Re: Fixed my Samsung
by dwray71 / November 23, 2009 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Great work. My capcitors are on the way. Can't wait to get this done and stick it to Samsung. It's taking about 5 minutes for my TV to turn on now. Sometimes it turns on right away, there is sound but no picture. Funny how my 10 year old cheapy Sanyo is still working fine.

Collapse -
35V capacitor vs 10V
by t-bone1 / February 3, 2010 10:45 PM PST

Please tell me your reasoning for not using the 35V version.

Collapse -
Using 35V vs 10V capacitors is perfectly fine
by jwflins / December 15, 2012 3:49 AM PST

In fact, that's what's the design flaw here: they had insufficient working voltages. Designers of all but the lowest caliber know to use 3x the nominal V for margin.

Only issue is 35V caps can be a little larger than 10V capacitors so you've got to confirm they'll fit. I'm doing mine now w/35V.

jwflins

Collapse -
So we need 35V for 5V lines?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 15, 2012 4:29 AM PST

That's news to me. Even in military designs we would halve the voltages. Which Samsung did but it didn't help because of the Capacitor Plague.

More at link to follow. I've seen such claims before and we used both a Volt meter and an oscilloscope on the lines to see if there was a design flaw or wrong part picked. So far it look like the plague that took out millions of Dell PCs spread to TVs and more.
Bob

-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Collapse -
Thanks for the help! I fixed my LNT4061F in about 1/2 hour.
by okellodunkley / January 30, 2010 10:01 PM PST

I was having the same problem. My LNT4061F was taking about 10-15 minutes to turn on and when it finally did, there would be a few lines and dots on the screen. Usually I could turn it off and back on and they would disappear, but the last time I tried it just kept clicking on and off and refused to come back on at all. I had already read this thread so I found it again, called my local Radio Shack and they had the capacitors (Part #272-1032) in stock so I bought 5 (for Murphy's Law and the next time knock on wood) and a soldering iron.

Once I opened it, it was obvious two were gone, so I replaced those two; I didn't want to do all 4, but now that I know it works I feel better about opening it up if and when the others blow. I hit the power switch before I put it back together and it turned on without clicking. Total cost: $15.39 but I bought the soldering iron and 3 extra capacitors. Thanks for the thread. You saved me lots of time and money!
One side note. The guy at Radio Shack asked what I was working on since I had called ahead and driven there in about 3 inches of snow so I told him I was fixing my LCD TV and he said, "Let me guess, Samsung?"

Collapse -
use of a 35v capacitor
by t-bone1 / February 3, 2010 10:09 PM PST

I have read somewhere not to use the 35 V capacitor. I have the same problem with my set and want to make sure that upping the voltage on the capacitor won't cause other problems

Collapse -
Samsung LN -T4061F
by corusa1 / February 13, 2010 4:32 AM PST

Called Samsung customer support, the number that was provided here in the second post. The very friendly lady from the USA took all my information and said they knew about the problem and would be sending a tech out to fix it free of charge.Sweet!

Collapse -
follow up
by corusa1 / February 13, 2010 4:41 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung LN -T4061F

Oh, also, this really makes Samsung rise up in my confidence to buy more products in the future. While this problem has been going on for about 6months to a year, they figured out the issue and decided to do the right thing. I own a Samsung DVD player too and would want to buy a blu ray or HD internet movie player at some point, I imagine it will be Samsung after this great service.

CNET forums are kinda odd, subject required for each reply, no duplicate subject lines....jeez, like we are in the 90s.

Collapse -
on/off
by t-bone1 / February 13, 2010 4:53 AM PST

Good for you.
I called and they denied there was a problem (they new about) but also said it didn't matter since the set was out of warranty.
They called back to ask me if I was happy with their customer support. Can you believe that. She asked me on a 1-5 scale, 1 being I loved the help ,and you guess what a 5 was. I told her 10. She thanked me for the input.
Anyway, I got 4-35V capacitors from Radio Shack, had a friend do the switch out and the whole thing cost me $45.00 and 30 minutes of down time. Set works as it should, so far.
PS: was your set still under warranty?

Collapse -
Bad Capacitor
by aljq / February 13, 2010 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: on/off

That's the same line they gave me. I won't be buying anymore Samsung products. Fixed it myself.

Collapse -
16V
by corusa1 / February 19, 2010 4:14 AM PST
In reply to: Bad Capacitor

Tech installed 4 16v capacitors, there was one that had yet to start leaking, but he still fixed that one. Took him exactly 12 min from start to finish...amazingly easy.

Samsung is the largest electronic manufacture in the world. I doubt they would deny reasonable claims. Either people here have trouble talking to and dealing with customer service, or they are lying about their "denied" experiences.

The TV model in this thread is the model of mine. I bought it about 3.5 years ago, so very far out of warranty. (one year)

Collapse -
You got your nerve calling people liars.
by aljq / February 19, 2010 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: 16V

And just so I understand your point, I guess all these folks that took the chance to fix their own TV's without the services of a paid "Technician" like you used, are just too stupid to know how to relay their issue to Samsung? Get a life A life and find another forum to use for your insults. Idiot!

Collapse -
off warranty service?
by vmad / January 16, 2011 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: 16V

How did you get the service. I called this morning about the problem and was told my tv did not have the capacitor and I could not have the problem. After reading all of the comments and talking to the lady at the service contact number, I am sure nobody has been lying. Please tell me how you were able to get them to service your tv.

Collapse -
Out of Warranty
by corusa1 / February 19, 2010 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: on/off

Yes, my set was out of Warranty. Fixed.

Collapse -
Tried Samsung today
by rocNYrunner / June 16, 2010 2:41 AM PDT

I'm having the exact same problem everyone here is having, was surprised how many different people in different forums are having the same issue. Emailed Samsung with a description, root cause, etc we'll see what they come back with.

Lucky for me, I run a circuit board manufacturing facility with a room full of equipment and a very talented lady named Mooney to facilitate the repair!

Collapse -
Was able to fix problem with Samsung LNT4061F Capacitor Prob
by woodeye46 / February 19, 2010 6:32 AM PST

Was glad to read all the other postings having the similar problem with this set and to know I wasn't the only one with a lemon on my hands!! Purchased in Dec. 2007. (Did not buy extended warranty since I have a still-wkg Samsung in my basement that is at least 25 years old.) A short time ago, noticed that it was taking longer and longer to come on. Then it started coming on with sound only and no picture. When shut off after that it would commence the on/off clicking. Sometimes it would come on with lines and dots and eventually a picture if we were lucky. Finally, it would only click on/off and never come on. After reading about the bulging capacitor problem, I enlisted the help of a friend with great electrical skills/tools. Our Radio Shack did NOT carry the appropriate replacement part. We had to go to an electronics supply business that sells to TV repair shops. (I did not check online, but some have mentioned success on ordering from there.) The man at the electronics part store pointed out we need to match the same temperature setting on the capacitor. My set had two 2200 uF, 105c, 10v and they were the ones bulging, not the two 1000 uF ones. The replacement capacitors we bought were the 2200 uF, 105c, but increased to the 16v rather than the 10v.

My friend with experience was able to quickly de-solder and re-solder the new capacitors on the circuit board and the set is now working GREAT again. It even corrected what we thought was a burned out line of pixels on the screen. In fairness to Samsung, we did NOT contact customer service since I knew my warranty had expired and I had not purchased an extended one. It sounds like some have been successful, while others are being refused help. Since this problem is SO WIDESPREAD, I would think a company as fine as Samsung would initiate an offer to repair this problem free of charge to service their faithful customers who have continued to purchase their products based on excellent products of the past.

According to the electronics parts shop, this problem is not exclusive to only Samsung products, but also to other big name TV makers. I am really glad this problem did not happen at Super Bowl time since I would have put my foot through the screen and hence eliminated the possiblity of having it repaired for the price of a batch of homemade chocolate chip cookies for my friend!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.