Samsung

General discussion

Samsung LED UN55B7100 turns off on its own.

by cpoulos / August 28, 2009 7:08 PM PDT

My 55B7100 will all of a sudden will turn off or maybe go into stand by mode. I will be watching TV and the screen will shut off. I will turn it on and it will shut off again. I can see the remote control sensor light flashing like it got a signal sent to it but not from me. Could there be some outside interference? It will do this for a while but after unplugging the set from the wall, it will behave. This has been happening now 2 days in a row on only 5 days ownership.

Also, when the TV is acting up this way, the remote control functions have issues. I would go into the TV menu and it will not respond well to the keys/signals from the remote.

Anyone ever see this or have any idea what it might be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LED UN55B7100 turns off on its own.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LED UN55B7100 turns off on its own.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mine too
by Rtshort151 / August 29, 2009 4:45 AM PDT

I'm having a similar problem with my led LCD from samsung. It will turn on and off spontaneously. It will also change input sources and channels on its own. The remote is often unresponsive during this time and the blue light below the tv blinks as if it is receiving a signal although no remote is being used. Currently hoping this is an isolated occurance and that replacement will solve the issue. But as the model is on backorder and the wait is mid to late September, I would appreciate any other suggestions that might fix the problem sooner.

Collapse -
Mine too
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 31, 2009 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine too

Rtshort151,

If it's changing inputs, it could be a bad board on the inside. I'd make the same recommendation to you. I'll be keeping my eye out for more instances of this issue.

--HDTech

Collapse -
UN55B8000 also has this problem
by kirbywalker / April 23, 2010 4:31 AM PDT

I purchased a UN55B8000 in Feb 2010 from Best Buy. Once it was set up we noticed that after about an hour of use the set will shut off and then turn back on. Samsung customer support was unable to provide any suggestions on how to resolve the problem. Some complaints related to this problem point to a faulty lamp/light connection. A Tec Service is scheduled to pick up the set on 04/27. Is there any information I can pass along to the repair service? The last thing I want is to have the set returned to me with a "no problem found" answer to my problem. Email any suggestions to kirbywalker@msn.com.

Collapse -
Ditto
by Philly79 / March 15, 2011 12:42 PM PDT

Same issue with UNB406000. Has anyone found the reason behind this? I've contacted quite a few people about it and signs seem to be pointing toward a bad circuit board. However, I can't get confirmation from anyone about which specific board. I'm about to take a wild guess and order a replacement "main" board, but I would love to hear from someone else who has had this problem fixed.

Collapse -
Samsung LED UN55B7100 turns off on its own.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 31, 2009 7:22 AM PDT

cpoulos,

Something is definitely wrong, and I'd recommend either exchanging it or having it repaired. Whichever makes you happiest. I apologize that this issue is affecting you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Mine Also
by SkepticX / December 15, 2009 6:41 AM PST

I am having the same random turn off/on problems with my Series 7100. I purchased the TV a couple days after black Friday and am still within the 30 day return policy. I?m taking the TV back for sure. I noticed the issue started after firmware update 1013. The TV interrupted a show last night to tell me firmware 1016 is out so I installed the update. I haven?t had time to see if the update fixes this issue but I?ve decided it doesn?t matter, I?m done! When I updated to firmware 1013 I had also hooked my TV up to the internet and my PC via the PC manager. I had the crazy thought that the DLNA connection was dropped by my computer going to sleep and causing the TV to cycle. I tested my theory and turned the computer off, turned the TV on and watched Terminator, alas, TV reboots anyway.
I hate to take it back but with the flash-lighting drawing my eye to the corners throughout movies I?ve decided I?m done. Wish I could afford the 8500; guess I?ll go with an LG LH90 Local Dimming set.

Collapse -
Same Problem here UN55C7100 turning off
by rednroll / May 3, 2012 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine Also

Well Great....I also have a UN55C7100 with this turning off issue. I bought it in at the end of January 2011. It is now May of 2012, which means I'm just over a year of owning this TV....Thus, just out of Warranty!!!

I loved this TV so much, that I sold 3 of my Panasonic Plasma TVs after owning them for close to 4 years with NO problems and purchased 2 additional Samsung LED TVs. A UN46C7100 in Feb of 2011 and another UN55C7100 in April of 2011. So by all these reports of the same issue, does that mean I now get to look forward to my 2 other Samsung LED 3D TVs doing the same thing since they're just over 1 year old now too?

How much is this going to cost me to get fixed!!!???

Collapse -
FAST. DO THIS!! NOW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2012 11:09 AM PDT

I didn't see which country but in the USA if I register my set I get 3 more months warranty. DO THAT NOW and maybe, just maybe it will be enough.
Bob

Collapse -
Registered when I 1st bought them
by rednroll / May 3, 2012 7:03 PM PDT
In reply to: FAST. DO THIS!! NOW.

I registered all 3 of my Samsung LED 3D TVs right after I purchased them. I went to my registered Samsung account and it shows I registered this TV with the turning off problem on Jan. 31st of 2011. Which also means if I did get 3 additional months, the one that has just started having this problem is now just 4 days out of the additional Warranty.

I'm going to report the problem through Samsung's website where I registered it and see if they're going to charge me for this repair. I'll update and let everyone know how it goes.

Collapse -
Out of Warranty
by rednroll / May 3, 2012 7:49 PM PDT

Well....here's the message I got from the Samsung warranty service request:

"Your product is out of its warranty period. We have listed a Samsung authorized service center below that can assist you with repair of your product. Please note that you will be responsible for any applicable fees. If you would like to continue, please select a date and time and click the continue button below and an out of warranty service ticket will be created.

The service center will contact you to schedule the service within 24 hours. In the event that the Service Center does not contact you within this timeframe, it is recommended that you contact the service center at the number provided below. (Monday through Friday)

Please note that your requested date and time may change after being reviewed by the Samsung authorized service center. "

This upsets me since I'm an electrical engineer who works for an audio company who develops and manufactures high end AVR receivers. Since I'm the technical guy among many, I've convinced all the other engineers, program managers, sales staff, etc. that I work with who were in the market to buy a new large flat panel screen TV to purchase a Samsung due to the superior picture quality compared to their competitors. Additionally, I've also influenced my company's sales and marketing teams to purchase Samsung TVs for our marketing events when showing off our audio products. Personally, I've likely influenced the sales of 100's of Samsung TVs.

With my background in electronic product developments, after reading everyone's description of the problem, to me this is obviously a Samsung Quality problem. What I'm not sure of at this point, is if it's a manufacturing problem or a design problem on their side or if this quality problem has been fixed by them. Which therefore, makes me feel very uneasy in that even if I do go and pay for a service repair, it could mean I could be turning around in another year and having the same problem if the problem is inherent to their design or manufacturing process....and it could mean I could be doing that times 3, since I own 3 of the same/similar Samsung TV. Sad

Collapse -
Post Your Transaction #
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2012 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Out of Warranty

rednroll,

Just post your transaction # here, and I'll see what I can do. And by the way, I'm very hopeful I can do something.

-- HD Tech

Collapse -
Thanks for your help HD Tech
by rednroll / May 4, 2012 6:12 AM PDT

Hi HD Tech,

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate anything you can do. Other than this problem, I love this TV, it has been great.

By transaction number, I'm guessing you are referring to the Ticket # I received after sending in a repair request.

Here is the Ticket number:

I can also be contacted via email if there are any other further questions or needed information:

rednrollAThotmailDOTcom

replace the cap letter with the symbols.

Collapse -
Samsung Support Rocks!!!
by rednroll / May 14, 2012 10:39 PM PDT

Thank you to HD Tech and Samsung support!!! HD Tech was able to pull some strings for me and got me a one time service extended warranty for my TV since it was just out of warranty. Service repair person came out and ended up replacing the main PCB. I'm sure that would have cost me quite a bit, if it wasn't covered under the extended warranty.

Samsung support and HD Tech was there every step of the way, making sure the authorized service center scheduled an appointment, showed up on time, and that everything went ok and I was happy with the repair service. Everything was handled perfectly, and very quickly where my TV was back to working in no time. From when 1st submitted the repair ticket through Samsung's website to getting my TV back to working, it only took about 3 days total. Everything went smooth and was very painless.

I'm so happy, I want to share a previous warranty service experience to point out the drastic difference that I experienced with Samsung's support in comparison to one of their competitors. About 6 years ago, I bought my 1st large screen flat panel HD TV. I wanted a 50" or larger screen and preferred the Plasma technology over everything else at that time. My max set spending price was $2000 at that time. My top choices where the Samsung and Panasonic 50" Plasma TV's but both of those exceeded my $2K spending limit. At that time retail they came in between $2600-$2900. A new company with high value pricing by the name of Vizio came out with a 50" Plasma that fell right into my price. I spent weeks researching the specs and reading reviews. The Specs seemed great, but as I learned later, picture quality is not about the specs. I was never really happy with the picture quality of the Vizio and kept regretting my purchase every time I was in a retail store and saw the Samsung and Panasonic TVs. After owning the Vizio for just 3 months, I turned the TV on one day and the screen picture was purple. I had to call in for warranty service.

My Vizio warranty service experience. I contacted Vizio by their support phone and email. Someone finally got back to me after 1 and 1/2 weeks. They gave me a phone number to a local authorized service center, for me to contact them to schedule an appointment for service where Vizio support told me someone should be out within a week to fix my TV. I contacted that service center, no one picked up the phone, so I left a message with my service ticket#. I waited that week and heard nothing back. Contacted the service center again, left another message, still heard nothing back. I contacted Vizio and heard nothing back from them. 6 weeks had passed where I was stuck with a purple screen TV in my main living room with no feeling that it was actually going to get fixed although it was still in warranty. I got fed up and decided, I'm going to return this TV to the retail store (Sam's Club) where I purchased it. Over that 3 month period of owning the Vizio, the prices had dropped on the Panasonic and Samsung Plasma models. The Panasonic was now $2100, and the Samsung was $2400. I decided to buy the Panasonic based on the lower price. A month later after 1st contacting the Vizio authorized service center, someone finally calls me back to set up an appointment to come out and fix the Vizio TV. I asked them, why they never called me back after the 1st 2 times I tried to call them to schedule an appointment? They informed me, "we were waiting on Vizio to ship us the part and we just received it." Hmmm??? And no one could call me back, to let me know what was going on? They stated, the part is here now, would you like to set up an appointment for us to come out and fix the TV? With a smile, I told them, I no longer own that TV, so you can keep the part. It was an awful experience and I will never buy another Vizio TV. It would have been close to 2 months of living with a broken TV. On top of that, the picture quality looked awful, although the "specs" led me to believe otherwise and the warranty service was atrocious. I guess, you really do get what you paid for, but $2K for a TV was a big investment for me at that time. I was happy with the Panasonic 50" Plasma TV for the next 4+ years, until one day, I walked back into Sam's Club and saw the new Samsung LED TVs, where my jaw just dropped on the floor at how smooth, fluent, and vibrant the picture looked. I decided to hold off a bit and purchased the Samsung "3D" model. I liked the picture quality so much after I got it home, that I ended up buying 2 additional Samsung LED 3D models shortly after that because going into other rooms in my house, those TVs just looked bad in comparison to the Samsung LED.

Now just after a year of owning that Samsung TV, I had my 1st problem and the Samsung support I received exceeded my expectations at every step of the way. Well...it also probably helped a lot that Vizio set the bar pretty low. ;)~ To celebrate, I went out this past week and bought a new 22" Samsung LED TV/Monitor as a 2nd monitor for my laptop computer. Time to go register that under my account on the Samsung website.

Thank you Samsung!!!!

Collapse -
Obviously a big issue for Samsung?
by Teamkaj / January 6, 2013 9:47 AM PST

It's obvious that this is a wide spread design or component failure that Samsung should address. Warranty or not, in an effort to keep people purchasing and promoting Samsung in the same way I and many others tell others how great our galaxy S3 is, the company should consider some form of compensation for out of warranty repairs.

Our PS42B450B is barely 18 months old and has failed in the same way. yet our 42" Sony is over 4 years old and has not missed a beat..

What do you say Samsung?

Collapse -
Re: repair issue?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 12:15 AM PST

Hi Teamkaj,

Thanks for your message. But just so you know: if you want Samsung support, I support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for Australia. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So while I can't help you directly, if you want Samsung help, here's the Samsung Australia portal for support on that product: http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/PS42B450B1DXXY

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
UN55ES7100 Shutting off/on automatically
by jonaevans / December 15, 2014 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Re: repair issue?

I am having the same issue many other are having. I called Samsung support back in April or so and I was told oh well. I talked to many support people and they were useless. I bought the tv in December 2012. This has really caused me to look at Samsung products as having issues that they are unwilling to fix. If a lot of people are having the same problem as I am as I read on many different sites, why have they not issued a recall of some sort. If there is anything you can do, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you.
Model Code: UN55ES7100
Software Version: T-MST10PAUSC-2002.3,BT-G
Serial Number: Z5HP3CAC803623H

Collapse -
Sammy UN55B7100w
by stickhead53 / November 5, 2012 8:16 AM PST
In reply to: Out of Warranty

I am having the same problem the tv will shut off then turn back on, sometimes you have to unplug it for a while before it comes back on. Then when its off if you try anything with the remote the light on the tv just flashes no response. No its out of warranty what can i do. I went on Samsung site not much info.

Collapse -
Samsung UN60ES7500 cycles power
by dqamar2 / August 27, 2014 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Sammy UN55B7100w

Bought this TV for around $3000 just over two months ago and it has started powering off and on. I would be watching TV and it just turns off and turns back on instantly. This happens approximately every 15 minutes. It seems like this is a very common issue with samsung TVs and is all over the internet. Can't play games on it since this is incredibly frustrating, I have to be ready to pause the DVR if the TV shuts off as well.

Called Samsung and they recommended a software reset, software update, and trying a different power source. None of that worked. So in the end I was told to take it in for an out of warranty repair - very frustrating again. I was also offered a $400 service plan that would be good for any repairs within the next year as well. Needless to say I am very disappointed in Samsung since I trusted this brand with everything in my home (TV, bluray, sound system, washer, dryer etc). I think I will have to break up with Samsung after this incident. They handled this relatively common issue very poorly and can't seem to get a hold of a good power supply.

Collapse -
Please top post this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2014 10:07 AM PDT

I am reading this is a 2 month old set so there should be no issue with getting it fixed.

There is a software issue but let's see your new top post in this forum and I'll tell more about it.

Be sure to post your SERVICE TRANSACTION NUMBER so the Ambassador can see what's up.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) See HDTech's reply. MOVE FAST. Every hour counts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 4, 2012 12:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same Here
by oceman1231 / August 4, 2012 8:40 AM PDT

Have a 6900 LED TV. Started restarting about every 5 min. Also acted as if remote had sent a signal. I found the remote was actually unresponsive right before the restart. I replaced the remote batteries and also unplugged the set for 5 min. This seemed to take care of it for the rest of the day, but the next day it started up again. Guess its back to best buy. Too bad. I love the set, just hate the hassle.

Collapse -
Un8000series
by hanmi4yoo / September 23, 2012 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Here

Just called in because i heard there were re-calls but customer service denies. Thought samsung was the best led tv out there but so many people have these problems and they dont seem to fix it. And charging because its out of warrenty makes no sense!! Theres so many out there with this issue. Dont they realize its the manufacture defect?!?!

Collapse -
Samsung Plasma TV
by dangsters / November 28, 2012 9:11 AM PST

I owned 58" samsung plasma TV and have same problem. I bought it over a years ago and now have problem it turn off by it self. I have replaced with a new power board and it works for a week and now the problem came back. The Samsung TV it bad news. It works great , beautiful picture when it working but soon the one year warranty come around and the tv goes bad/broke. Speaking t Samsung customer service and no help from them. TV is over a year old and out of warranty and nothing they could do ( as they said)
Never buy the Samsung TV again!!! go for Sony/Sharp/Pas.. all japan made are good. I onwed some of them and still working great even after the warranty are over. Never need it. still working great!!

Collapse -
Same problem. TV restarts
by rkuntamukkala / September 25, 2012 11:24 AM PDT

I got my TV some 5 weeks back.Your Model : UN55ES6580FXZA . Ticket Number: 4116346030. Any help that you can do will be greatly appreciated.

This is horrible. Something is seriously wrong with this Product Line.

Collapse -
Re: Same problem. TV restarts
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 27, 2012 1:01 AM PDT

Hi rkuntamukkala,

Sorry to hear about problems you've been having. I looked up your ticket and saw that the service center tried calling you. Have you connected up with the service center yet?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Same Problem with UN46EH5300FXZA
by itzchristee / October 11, 2012 4:57 AM PDT

Hi HD Tech,

I see that you have been extremely helpful on this thread. We purchased 2 of the Samsung LED TVs for our restaurant in July and now are having this restart problem with our smaller one (UN46EH5300FXZA). Is the best way to contact Samsung tech via email?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: Same Problem with UN46EH5300FXZA
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 11, 2012 6:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you!
by itzchristee / October 11, 2012 7:12 AM PDT

Thanks for the quick response!

Collapse -
UN55C6500 same problem turning off and on
by pklele111 / December 5, 2012 7:31 AM PST

HD_Tech..I have same issue. here is my #2116162654 and help would be great. TV use to power off/on by itself within 9 months and now another few months, tv needs to be turned on by either the remote or front panel once it turns off by itself.
thanks
pklele111

Collapse -
Re: UN55C6500 same problem turning off and on
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 5, 2012 10:58 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.