Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LED TV vs Yamaha AV receiver - Lip sync problem

by dkmerritt77 / January 7, 2011 5:26 AM PST

I have a Samsung UA40C6900VXXY TV, Samsung BD-C5500 blu-ray, Beyonwiz DP-lite PVR all connected through a Yamaha AV RX-V567 receiver connected using HDMI cables only. All firmware is up to date via internet update.

I am having lip sync issues with the sound in front of the picture and the sync varied depending on the resolution of the picture. Blu-ray with 1080p-24f/s has a large delay of ~ 240 ms but PVR with 1080i-50f/s has delay of ~90ms. Due to the variability of the delay I cannot set and forget a manual delay and want to use the auto lip sync function supported by the receiver.

The AV receiver is HDMI 1.4 compliant but I want to confirm if the TV is 1.3 compliant and supports auto lip sync.

My work around for the moment is to reduce the resoultion from the blu-ray player with a passable result but I am far from satisfied.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LED TV vs Yamaha AV receiver - Lip sync problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LED TV vs Yamaha AV receiver - Lip sync problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Auto Lip sync ON?
by sk528 / January 7, 2011 11:11 AM PST

My RX-V367/LA32C650 got lip sync problems with the BD-C5500 after a while and only when playing blurays. All else is fine for me.

Collapse -
Auto On and Off
by dkmerritt77 / January 8, 2011 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Auto Lip sync ON?

I have tested with the auto lip sync on and off and both settings make no difference- this makes me suspect that my Samsung TV does not support the feature.

Collapse -
Maybe just a firmware update away?
by sk528 / January 8, 2011 5:09 AM PST
In reply to: Auto On and Off

..let's hope it!

Collapse -
Same issue for me...
by otay619 / January 9, 2011 11:56 AM PST

I recently purchased a Samsung UN55C6400 from a bix box membership store. The next day I purchased a Samsung BD-C5500 from the same store. I also have AT&T Uverse and an XBOX 360. I had a receiver with no HDMI so I called tech support and they told me to run the Blu-ray to the TV via HDMI then Optical Audio from TV to receiver. I thru in "Incepetion" on Blu-Ray and the lip sync was so bad that I turned it off. I am also having minor lip sync issues via HDMI on my Uverse box, but only on some channels. It is livable though. I went out this week and bought a Yamaha RX-A700, brand new HDMI w/ Ehternet cables. Ran Blur-ray to the Yamaha via HDMI then HDMI to TV. Fired it up on the same movie and the problem still existed, but not as bad. I almost through all of it out the window... I was able to lessen the lip sync with the receiver by going manual lip sync at about 200 milliseconds, but it was still there. However, we watched Iron Man 2 on BD last night and it seemed fine. Streaming Netflix from BD to TV has minor lip sync issues though. In addition, my new Yamaha rec. does not like the component input from my first edition Xbox 360 (no HDMI). It will display the picture but has terrible ghosting and fuzz. That is a seperate issue between the Xbox and Yamaha. So I ran the component video to the TV (only 1 component input on TV) and the Optical audio to Yamaha rec. Threw in a game and now I notice there is a lip sync issue between the Xbox, TV and receiver. My next thought would be to replace the Xbox to a newer version with HDMI, but at this point I dont think it will resolve it completely.I am at my witts end and just considering returning all of it. To be noted, when i hooked up the Blu-ray directly to the TV and listened to the sound through the TV I dont seem to have a lip sync issue... I am at a loss and I would consider myself as someone who can figure almost any A/V issue out...Thoughts?

Collapse -
Same issue - reply
by dkmerritt77 / January 11, 2011 7:46 PM PST
In reply to: Same issue for me...

I am no expert on these issues and I am finding it really hard to get the right information (which it should not be!).

Your problems sound the same as mine and my guess is that the TV has different 'processing' times for the different image resolutions being sent to it - the higher the resolution, the higher the image processing time resulting in a bigger lip sync problem. If 2 devices (TV and the receiver) both support the auto lip sync function the TV should be able to communicate the correct audio delay for the receiver.

The only way I have been able to get a reasonable outcome is to stick with HDMI connections for all devices via the receiver and lock the resolution for the 2 input devices connected to the receiver (I used 1080i) and set a manual delay. My theory is that with the TV having the same resosolution from either device the image process time is the same and a manual audio delay can be set on the receiver and should remain constant. Seems to be working for the moment but it annoys me that I am not using 1080p for blu-ray but it is better than horrible lip sync issues.

If anyone has some information particualy regarding Samsung TVs supporting auto lip-sync and how to ensure it is working it would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Samsung Sync Issue
by godzilla42 / September 28, 2011 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue - reply

I recently purchased a Samsung TV as well, I believe it is the 6900 model. I have a Yamaha receiver that supports the auto lip-sync feature and assumed that since the Samsung TV is HDMI1.4 compliant it would as well.

It turns out it doesn't, you can check on the Samsung website.

It is particularly annoying, as mentioned before because different input streams results in greatly different video delay, so there is no universal manual setting that works. It is particularly noticeable when playing a blu-ray at 1080p24 (I estimate it at well over 200ms). A workaround is to make sure you're always getting the same stream, such as 1080i. However, down converting 1080p24 to 1080i before it gets to your expensive new 120hz TV is pretty pointless. You might as well own a cheaper version that only takes a 1080i signal.

The most annoying part of the whole thing, if you use the TV's audio, it automatically corrects, so the TV clearly knows how long the video delay is. They were just too lazy to bother to support the auto-lip sync functionality.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.