Samsung

General discussion

Samsung LED TV Screed goes blank periodically for 1 sec

by rdhenr2 / January 25, 2010 2:36 PM PST

Lately, my Samsung LED TV's screen will black out from 1 -2 seconds then come back. The TV has been on all day. I noticed this at 8pm and 12pm. Been noticing it a couple of times per day lately. The TV is about 6 months old. Would this be a cable TV thing or a TV thing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LED TV Screed goes blank periodically for 1 sec
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LED TV Screed goes blank periodically for 1 sec
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LED TV Screed goes blank - firmware 1017 issue ?
by bnc231 / January 25, 2010 9:05 PM PST

I have noticed something similar on my Samsung LED TV. The screen will blackout for a few seconds and then come back. There is no loss of audio however. I have a Samsung 46" LED model UN46B7100. I recently upgraded my TV firmware to version 1017. I wonder if the firmware upgrade is the problem ? I purchased my Samsung in October of 2009 and did not have this problem until just recently. I have a Comcast DVR from Motorola, model DCH3416. When the problem happens, I can rewind the show using the DVR buffer and the blacked out portion of the show plays just fine. This seems to indicate that the problem is NOT related to Comcast cable or DVR. Any ideas as to what is going on here ??

Collapse -
Samsung 55" LED screen gies blank periodically for 5-10 se
by keithevent / September 10, 2010 4:54 AM PDT

I have noticed that my Samsung LED TV periodically blacks out
For 5-10 sec. There is no set time of day this happens. I have a Samsung 55" LED model U55B600VF 1080p. I have a Comcast tech out 5-9 times and they tell me it's the TV. Had a repair man come out and replaces main board on Samsung. Problem still exists. Also can't keep cable box settings to 1080i, goes back to 720 output and 4:3 override when tv shut off.
Can anyone help me out?

Collapse -
Same Issue, no resolutions
by jokuz / September 12, 2010 10:57 PM PDT

keithevent,

I have both the exact same problems on my Samsung 46" 6300 series LED. 2 weeks ago I had the Geek Squad out to my house. Guy seemed pretty knowledgable but puts all the blame on Comcast. I have the latest STB (DCX 3400) with the latest firmware according to comcast. The Geek Squad guy said it would probably stop doing this in a few months (something about comcast is currently pushing out a lot of stuff for their digital tv changes), but it seems to be getting worse this is know happening about 1-2 times an hour. This did not happen the first month and a half I had the tv. I also have the same problem with the 1080I changing to 720 everytime I turn off the TV. I gave up on this issue since from what I can tell 720P is just as good as 1080I anyway. I am totally disgusted with all of this and feel like trashing the whole system. I wonder if anyone running satellite are having the same problem. I would like to hear from the Samsung HDTech guy who chimes in here but never seems to have a solution for anything. The problem is Comcast blames Samsung and Samsung blames comcast. This is both of their problems and they should get together and fix it. I am thinking about getting legal help to find out what government agency can get involved in investigating this.

Collapse -
by peter_y / January 25, 2010 11:26 PM PST

There are firmware updates available for few LED TVs from Samsung.
most of the issues are resolved.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 26, 2010 5:47 AM PST

rdhenr2,

A loss of video (where sound remains) is usually an HDCP issue. Usually resetting/refreshing - or if there is a firmware update for the cable/sat box - will fix this problem.

As for the time of day that it occurs, that would likely be a broadcaster's issue.

What cable/sat providers are experiencing this issue?

--HDTech

Collapse -
SAMSUNG LED TV scren goes blank periodically for 1-2 seconds
by rdhenr2 / January 26, 2010 6:04 AM PST

My cable provider is Comcast through a motorola HDVR like the guy with the first reply. However, my TV is a 40" 6000 series LED that was purchased in july of 09. I have just been noticing this frequently in the past couple of weeks. Also, I lose sound and video for 1-2 seconds....screen goes completely black. I can't tell if it's the TV, Cable, or power trip. How can one find out what the issue is?

Collapse -
UN55B8000, same problem.
by carlgod / January 28, 2010 5:12 AM PST

I have this LED TV for a week already, and this issue just started to show up, my service provider is Verizon FIOS, the firmware is the latest, 1016, for the last couple of days, it happens 3 times and twice happens within the first 2 hrs of being on. I believe that this is a tv issue. Any ideas?

Collapse -
samsung LED un46b8000
by bluehip / June 21, 2010 4:57 PM PDT

Hi, I'm having the same problem with my tv. The screen goes blank randomly but sound is still active. I've only notice this when I'm watching in HD. I'm positive it has nothing to do with the cable company because the show i'm watching is recorded. so when the screen goes blank i tried to play back where it happened, but it doesn't duplicate. something is wrong with the TV.

Collapse -
(NT) Samsung 55 inch LED 6900 screen goes black temporar
by Stlouib / January 13, 2012 11:06 PM PST
Collapse -
55 inch LED 6900 screen temp goes black
by Stlouib / January 13, 2012 11:18 PM PST

I think it is the cogeco service or my signal quality. I had a similar problem on my 40 in LED only that screen went green for several seconds. TV is connected to the same place in the house. Frequency is about 1 to 2 times a day and lasts for about 5 seconds. My sense is the video is doing some kind of reset?

Collapse -
Same issue
by caeguy / January 26, 2010 9:02 AM PST

I have an UN55B8500 with a Cox supplied Motorola DVR and experiencing the same issue. It only shows up when the TV is on for long period of time...usually greater than 5hrs.

Collapse -
Same issue here too!
by kandtq / February 3, 2010 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue

I have a 40 inch 6000 series and a Motorolla DCT3412 box from Comcast. This started happening about a week ago. I've had the TV 3 weeks. Any thoughts if this is the TV or the Comcast? Thanks!

Collapse -
Samsung LN46B640 with same problem
by blawnoxboy / February 3, 2010 3:38 AM PST

I have a 46 inch LCD that is about 2 months old.Intermittently during the day I will lose picture and sound for about 5 seconds.Do not think tv is turning off because I do not hear the tone it makes when it is turned on.Sometimes will go 3 hours before it does this.Waiting for Samsung to answer an email about the problem

Collapse -
Samsung LN46B640 with same problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2010 9:34 AM PST

blawnoxboy,

If it's happening while watching TV, I'd recommend the steps of calling your cable/sat company to have your cable/sat box refreshed or reset.

If this also happens with Blu-Ray/DVD or other inputs, you might consider having your unit inspected.

--HDTech

Collapse -
intermittant loss of video and audio
by blawnoxboy / February 8, 2010 9:12 PM PST

I have already gone to the cable company and got another DVR box,it also does it with this new box.Our 26 inch Samsung in bedroom does not do it so I do not think it is signal coming into the house.When these snow storms stop I will put in a service request.Right now we just got done digging out of 26 inches of snow and another 6 to 12 on the way.

Collapse -
Samsung 46 led TV goes black for 1-2 seconds
by rzolee66 / February 18, 2010 3:22 PM PST

I have the same problem with my TV , only happens with cable box ,watching HD. When watching Blue-ray it s ok. Did upgrade the firmware and changed HDMI cable , swapped to a different input. Sometimes
it doesn't happen for hrs. other times it happens 3 times /hr.

Collapse -
I've got a 55" 8500 LED TV and it does the same thing
by kiothedog / March 10, 2010 7:13 PM PST

Mine does the same thing - picture goes black for 1 - 2 seconds and then comes back. No affect on audio at all and it's not something I can reproduce, it just happens intermittently. I think it's the TV, not the cable box because we were using this cable box on an LG LCD TV and never had this issue. If it's a firmware problem, how do you update the firmware on the TV? And since it's happening to so many people (I'm sure the comments in this thread are a fraction of what's really going on), what's Samsung's response on how to fix this problem?

Collapse -
I've got a 55" 8500 LED TV and it does the same thing
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 11, 2010 2:31 PM PST

kiothedog,

My recommendation would be to call the cable company and have the cable box reset/refreshed or updated. Often times the picture goes out (yet the audio remains) because of HDCP (copy protection). Often times resetting the box will fix the issue.

Otherwise, it may be a cable issue. In few cases, it's actually the television. But try the other troubleshooting ideas first.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Cable Box reset
by kiothedog / March 11, 2010 8:59 PM PST

Thanks for the tip on the cable box reset. I just had it done and will keep an eye on the TV to see if it continues to happen. If it does, at least I'll be able to rule out the cable box. Thanks.

Collapse -
Black outs
by RyokoSparda / March 11, 2010 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: Cable Box reset

My Series 5 does this see my post about Samsung Series 5 and PS3 problem.

but it also does it when I'm watching TV it always has done it when watching Freeview channels I think it's a cheap freeview receiver chip and it's lossing the signal because it does it a lot on some channels and not at all on others and it never does it when I'm watching a DVD or playing the Wii or 360, in my case the sound goes as well (thats with the Freeview and the PS3 when playing a 1080p game or upscaled DVD).

I looked on Samsungs website and found they offer no email support.

Collapse -
black screen and firmware upgrade
by ricssondla / May 3, 2010 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable Box reset

hello!
I have the samsung led tv 6 ue-46b6000 series and I need to upgrade the firmware. To play movie in my usb stick , also I'll like to know why the screen flashing when I'm watching movies store in my multimedia NAS storage .I have canal sat decoder and this issue it's no occure but it flashing only when the image source it's my multimedia storage and this it's not happend in all movies .
Can you help me please?
PS : I'm french speakering so don't be hard with my englis
Regards

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 4, 2010 3:13 PM PDT

ricssondla,

What country are you inquiring from?

I'm not sure the new update will address the problem you're describing with the NAS storage, but I'll can assist with getting you the latest firmware.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by ricssondla / May 27, 2010 7:17 AM PDT

I'm from CAMEROON
Your hel will be very nice thks in advance .
Ps Cameron is in Afrca

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 27, 2010 1:57 PM PDT

ricssondla,

I didn't see an update for Cameroon:

http://tinyurl.com/2velkr5

I'm not able to assist further. You may want to call the Samsung customer service center in your region to see if they can help further.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by ricssondla / May 28, 2010 1:01 AM PDT

Sorry I forgot I buy my led TV in england but I'm leaving in CAMEROON
can you help me??

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 28, 2010 1:53 PM PDT

This is the link for the support site in the UK. The firmware is next to the manuals, but check to make sure that this is for your specific set. If your unit came from anywhere other than England, you may have a problem if you install the wrong firmware. Check with the Samsung customer service center in your region if you're unsure.

http://tinyurl.com/2upjban

--HDTech

Collapse -
this link has been blocked , unsafe website by comodo secure
by Spenc0007 / February 2, 2013 1:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Post is old, link is dead
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 1:32 AM PST

So this old post is now locked.

Collapse -
I have the same problem UN46C6300SF (No Video or SOUND):
by jokuz / August 25, 2010 12:23 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with my 2 month old Samsung LED 46" UN46C6300SF, I purchased this at Best Buy on June 14, 2010. Fortunately I did get the Black Tie 4 yr warrenty. Reagardless the TV goes black and loses Sound for about 2 sec then comes back. When I am watching at night this may happen approximately once an hour. (Sometimes 15 minutes between and sometimes 2 hrs)I am using a Comcast/Motorola DCX 3400 STB. Don't think its the box since I can playback what I missed and previous forum postings I see got new boxes and experianced the came problem. This started about 2 weeks ago, needless to say I am not very happy with Samsung at this point.

Collapse -
Samsung LN46B640 with intermittant loss of video and sound.
by blawnoxboy / May 27, 2010 5:03 AM PDT

I found that if I use a video input other than HDMI that I do not have the problem.It seems to be related to the HDMI input.Did try another cable.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.