Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Samsung

General discussion

Samsung Led TV not turning on, no power suply issue

by likuid13 / April 4, 2011 9:12 AM PDT

Hi, I just got a new 40' Samsung Led TV. As I'm a little curious I though "hey, I'm gonna check that service menu" or whatever it is called. Not a good idea. I just changed a sound option and a region thing (somewhere it said it was in "Peru" mode and I changed that.

Thing is, tv didn't turn on since then. All I got is the power light flashing 6 times, off for about 15 seconds then again when I try to turn it on. Yeah I know, stupid me. But this doesn't seem to be the caps problem, since I have no clicking, nor nothing. Only the blinking.

Does anyone knows what 6 power light blinks means? I red somewhere it is supposed to be a code of some sort, for the technicians to fix.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Led TV not turning on, no power suply issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Led TV not turning on, no power suply issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung Led TV not turning on, no power suply issue
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 5, 2011 9:00 AM PDT

likuid13,

I have no idea, and I'm sorry to hear that you changed items in the service menu. I don't know how to advise, except to have a technician inspect the unit.

--HDTech

Collapse -
yeah I'm sorry too
by likuid13 / April 5, 2011 10:12 AM PDT

Believe me, I'm sorry I changed those as well.

I had called service and I'm awaiting they call back to fix a visit.

My only fear now is that they're honest about what's wrong since I red many many cases where they're trying to fix something a lot more expensive than it is. I'll have to see. Clearly this fix is coming out of my pocket so I expect the charge me for what it really is.

Thanks.

Collapse -
About your samsung TV
by veggiepride / April 24, 2011 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah I'm sorry too

Hi. I?ve searched the whole web and you?re the only person I?ve found with the exact same problem as me. I too entered the servide menu and f#%$up. I?m also waiting for the samsung guys to come pick it up in a few days. I was wondering how did it go with yours? Did they fix it? What was the diagnosis? How much did it cost to have it fixed? I?m eating my nails here! Thank so very much.

Collapse -
I'm not alone at least lol
by likuid13 / April 24, 2011 10:13 AM PDT
In reply to: About your samsung TV

Well, the guy came and he didn't help all that much. He was looking at the tv asking ME "how are we gonna make this thing work?". He was kinda clueless. Still, he told me that 6 power light blinks seem to be a software error, so he had to ask to samsung what to do with that or if he had to change motherboard and cpu (if he tells me I have to change all that I'm gonna take the tv elsewhere, it makes no sense to change all that hardware for a software error. It's like you have to change your computer because your windows doesn't work).

I'll let you know what happens as soon as I got news.

Collapse -
You?re not alone Indeed!
by veggiepride / April 24, 2011 12:38 PM PDT

Thanks for answering so fast!
Well, what your Samsung tech guy said didn?t differ too much from what my Samsung tech guy over here told me over the phone (about not having a clue).
I also called an authorized samsung service (aside from samsung themselves) and they told me I had to change the motherboard, altought they couldn?t do it, I had to get my LED back to Samsung to get it done.
So, initially Samsung told me over the phone, off the record, that being a software problem wouldn?t probably be too expensive. While the non-samsung technitian said the motherboard should be changed (which would be very expensive one might imagine).
Anyway, I?m waiting for Samsung to come pick it up (they won?t even take a look at it, they?re just gonna take it to HQ for some looksee). I should have some news in about 3/5 days.
I?ll give you a heads up if anything happens. Hope you keep me posted as well.

PS: By the way, if it helps, I kinda remember what I played with. I entered the service menu, touched one of the first options (model number or something like that) then, I couldn?t remember what number was originally set, so TO BE SAFE I selected RESET to factory default or something like that. Ironic isn?t it?

Collapse -
I just happened to be online lol
by likuid13 / April 24, 2011 2:26 PM PDT

Hey, contact me via email just in case you don't find me here. jonnhy@gmail.com

The tech guy that came over my house told me they just go to houses to fix things people can't figure out. Like making the image use all the screen (3:4 16:9 changes). So his eyes almost drop out when I told him MY problem.

He sent an email to samsung so they tell him what to do. What a disaster.

He told me though, I probably changed a bite, and I remember that in the menu I changed an option that was off and put it on, so that would be a bite. I remember it was something along the lines of "High definition sound", something like that.

I'm afraid this guys are gonna take advantage of the situation, they're gonna just change the motherboard and charge me for it. Hopefully they'll be honest and fix the software (maybe they really have to change the mobo, but I think that would not be the REAL solution).

Collapse -
Problem solved
by veggiepride / April 30, 2011 9:35 AM PDT

Well, we?ve already discussed this over gtalk, but I?ll post it here anyways so that anybody can know.
The sumsung tech guy came to my place, saw the problem, opened the unit, and replaced both the motherboard and the power source. Now the thing works smoothly.

So, my advice is... call samsung and have them replace your TV?s motherboard and/or power source.

And to anyone reading DO NOT ENTER THE SERVICE MENU! You?ll toast your set.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.