Samsung forum

Question

Samsung LED TV has translucent verticle colored lines

by pjm519 / October 26, 2011 11:57 AM PDT

I have a Samsung UN46B6000VFXZA television.

I was watching it when suddenly appeared translucent colored vertical lines.

If the tv is off and I turn it on the picture is perfect for about 5 or 10 seconds, then the translucent verticle colored lined reappear.

They do not stay in one place, they move across the screen, and seem to intensify on a channel logo. For instance, watching the USA channel, they have a USA logo on the bottom right when you watch their channel. These colored lines will deepen in perfect alignment with the USA logo, and for any channel that has some type of logo on it.

Can anyone tell me what this might be? The tv is 18 months old, so out of warranty. I would like to fix it myself. I am pretty tech savy with building computers, so I hope I can fix this tv?

I took some pictures of the built in Samsung test image with the lines over laying that test image.

Thank you,
PJM519

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LED TV has translucent verticle colored lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LED TV has translucent verticle colored lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung LED TV has translucent verticle colored lines
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2011 5:07 AM PDT

pjm519,

Collapse -
Samsung LED TV has translucent verticl colored lines update
by pjm519 / October 28, 2011 12:33 AM PDT

I said in the original post that the lines move across the screen, and they do when watching a television channel. However, when looking at the TEST PICTURE built into the television by Samsung the lines do not move. I turn the television on not connected to any source and go right to the diognostic picture. At first the television looks perfect, then after a few seconds the vertical lines appear and do not move. On the test picture they cover the screen from side to side and do not move. You can still see the picture, and bring up and use the menu.

I put in a new main board, same problem. I put in a new T/Con board, same problem. I have a new ribbon cable that connects the main board and T/Con on the way, do you think this cable can cause my problem, or is my panel shot?

What symptoms would a bad ribbon cable give, if not the symptoms I am having?

Is there a way to upload a photo on here so you can see the problem?

Thank you again for your input.

PJM519

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 28, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

pjm519 -

Collapse -
by pjm519 / October 28, 2011 6:37 AM PDT

Well I just tried the new ribbon cable, that did not fix the problem either. I talked to a local repair person, he said that the screen itself does not seem to be bad, but the small card that is part of the screen (card on the opposite end of the two cables coming from the T/Con) is what went up. He said it is non replaceable, that it would need a new screen because of this card that is attached to the screen is bad. His advice, buy a new television and sell the parts of my tv on ebay.

I cannot believe that Samsung makes a product like this that is prone to failure shortly after the warranty runs out. I mean there are thousands and thounsands of complaint about Samsung LCD television failure. I am really up in the air about buying Samsung again? If I do, it will be from Costco, they offer a total of 5 years warranty coverage on televisions.

Collapse -
by pjm519 / October 28, 2011 8:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
I have the same problem
by teamcroom / October 28, 2011 7:33 PM PDT

I have the same problem, as soon as the warranty ran exactly 25 months the tv has done the same thing has vertical lines that move when colours change on the screen (when you have moving images) but fixed lines on a solid unchanged image. Any colours with yellow in them seem to be the worst. Either way I was advised was dead and to buy a new tv. This is the second time it has happened to me since buying a samsung tv... no more buying samsung! I can say that my two fridges, washing machine have been great but tvs are terrible. My blueray home theatre plays up as well, but can never replicate same fault twice.

Collapse -
Exactly the same problem
by Say_NO_to_SAMSUNG / April 14, 2012 11:19 PM PDT

Great Thanks to PJM519 for posting the images.

I have EXACTLY the same screen. I immediately called Samsung support. I was told the set was out of warranty and to buy another TV.

I'll buy another and will NEVER purchase another samsung product. Furthermore, I'll be sure to post every blog I can find about how Samsung's customer response is that Samsung produces $1,700 DISPOSABLE electronics.

I feel like an even bigger goat because I purchased this LEMON from Best Buy against my better instincts and THEIR customer experience was on par with what you'd expect: "sorry, you should have bought the 5-year warranty, not the 3-year."

Looks like the only solution is to buy the lowest price mfg'r at Costco and suck it up.

THANKS Samsung!!!

Collapse -
Agreed!
by curtisc306 / April 15, 2012 2:21 AM PDT

"Looks like the only solution is to buy the lowest price mfg'r at Costco and suck it up."

That seems to be the only solution from Samsung. The LG 3D 47LW5700 has great reviews and is prices decent as Costco atm.

Collapse -
So far, repair is possible.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 2:24 AM PDT

And less than 1,700 in most cases.

The issue of long warranties makes a fine discussion. To cut prices to the lowest most makers cut the warranty back. I've seen no warranty and a well known brand (Apple) has some products with 90 day warranties.

This is so folk can pick and choose what warranty they want.
Bob

Collapse -
Brilliant
by Say_NO_to_SAMSUNG / April 15, 2012 7:46 AM PDT

Not a terribly insightful response Bob.

Check the ORIGINAL prices when LED, and this unit, first came out. The marketplace MUST have early adopters. If the company had taken 5 minutes to check the serial number I provided, they'd have seen how early I bought. This fact alone should be an indicator that I paid full boat and will likely be back throughout many generations of varied products. $1,700 was the price

" . . . folk can pick and choose what warranty they want." So, you advocate the crap shoot approach to product life cycle. This is simply a red herring of an argument against manufacturers actually building a product and standing behind it. This means pricing in the risk.

The "crap shoot" approach is not much more than understanding six sigma production variables and placing your bets that you've purchased a product whose components all hit spec. Here's more radical thinking: price the product according to the measurable expectations and provide a warranty that lives up to the spec.

Read any consumer advocacy documentation: all of them recognize the extended warranties offered by the retailer are nothing more than profit centers unto themselves and serve no useful purpose to the consumer. If they really meant anything, they'd extend to 10+ years at a nominal fee. Of course they wouldn't sell many because most consumers can point to . . .
* Circuit City
* Sun Television
* et cetera . . . et cetera
and we all know the warranty is meaningless when the firm offering it has gone out of business.

No, these need to be MANUFACTURING warranties, like the ones my company, who happens to be reputable, issues and stands behind.

Collapse -
This is why I buy the manufacturer's warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 15, 2012 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Brilliant

Sorry to have upset you but it is a very interesting topic.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.