Samsung forum

Samsung LED 7150 - Netflix/Youtube problems!!

by dsconk / January 3, 2013 5:54 AM PST

Just bought this "not so cheap" tv for Christmas. After 2 very unprofessional, rude, "should be fired" Level II tech support discussions, a cable in-home visit and several other calls to Samsung, no one can resolve my issue!

Everything on the tv is great except it can't run Netflix or Youtube. Its some sort of buffering issue. Cable guy showed me between 11 - 18Mbps wireless signal at the TV. Samsung tech tells me its 1Mbps and too slow to stream.

I've download latest firmware, I've reset the tv and smart hub, I've unplugged everything and then reconnected - NO solution.

As Samsungs tech support is the worst I've ever experienced, can anyone else offer help or suggestions? Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LED 7150 - Netflix/Youtube problems!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LED 7150 - Netflix/Youtube problems!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I am not Samsung.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 6:07 AM PST

But I do have some posts about networking these things over in the CNET Networking forum. I'm running into routers with firewalls and folk that have the router in a basement or more than 20 feet away.

We tackle those issues first. But it's a safe bet that folk will want to show me their laptop is fine. It really helps but these are not laptops. The WiFi antenna isn't as good as most laptops and we have other settings that matter.

Let's hope you can get some help here.

Collapse -
thanks Bob
by dsconk / January 3, 2013 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: I am not Samsung.

I had my cable guy turn off the firewall in the router and the router sits on 2nd floor almost directly over TV on 1st floor. I'll look at your networking stuff. Thanks for the reply. - Doug

Collapse -
That dismisses a few items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: thanks Bob

Here's a few more.

Start simple. Router defaults, firewall off and simple SSID. Do not mix upper and lower letters try "simple". If a default router firewall off simple SSID fails we look at trying it with an ethernet cord and turn off WiFi for the test run.

I don't have many details here but some routers are hellish. You know a few after awhile.

Collapse -
I have a similar problem... but no answer...
by killallninjas / January 8, 2013 1:16 PM PST

I'm gonna keep it short...relatively...
I'm pushing 8 hours on the phone time with Samsung, Netflix, and ISP. They all point the finger at someone else. My UN55ES6100 was working flawlessly until around Christmas, at which time my Netflix app couldn't connect. All other internet based apps work fine. Samsung Blu Ray player= exact same issue. Hardwired directly to the modem= same issue. Netflix works fine via wireless network on PS3, iphone, and 2 mac laptops. After a few rounds of everyone blaming the other 2, Samsung says they'll send out a tech for a repair. This TV is 4 weeks old.... no way. I return the TV and the Blu Ray. Exchange the TV for another UN55ES6100, just in case, and exchange the Samsung Blu Ray for a Panasonic. Guess what? The TV responds the exact same AND the Panasonic can't connect. Internet and modem are working flawlessly, per ISP. Netflix now says 'Eh, it must be the Samsung, and now the Panasonic, too. Definitely not us.' ISP says it's definitely Netflix or Samsung AND Panasonic.... and around and around we go.
Oh, I also bought a new router, just in case, and no change. I really just want someone to own up to the problem. I'm thinking about spending the extra cash on a SONY, since my PS3 isn't having any problems, but the fact the Panasonic is having problems is making me wonder. This is probably the most confused I've ever been in my life.

Collapse -
by killallninjas / January 8, 2013 1:21 PM PST

The Samsung Blu Ray (prior to returning) and the Pansonic both act identically to the TV. All other internet apps on both devices continued to work fine after the Netflix app failed.

Collapse -
Wow. Frustrating huh!!!
by dsconk / January 9, 2013 12:48 AM PST

Not like we bought $300 TVs at walmart! Interesting that it continued when wired. Well I know Samsung looks at these posts and the fact that they're silent says something! I have a friend with same problem with a Toshiba. My conclusion is these TV manufacturers are selling technology and features that are not ready for market. Cutomer Satisfaction isn't the priority any more!

Collapse -
I know!
by killallninjas / January 9, 2013 3:23 AM PST

Other than pure frustration, the other main reason I'm making so much noise over this is that I keep hearing responses from techs along the lines of: "hmmm. That's very interesting. I'm checking to look for similar situations and I don't see anyone else having these issues. Are you sure your tv is plugged into the wall?" Ok, exaggerating that last part.... A little. For every person talking about this problem on forums, there has to be numerous more that are having the same problem. Don't tell me you e never heard of such a thing. Acknowledge your product is experiencing flaws, tell me what's being done to fix them, and give me reasonable expectations. So, what I'm saying is, if your Samsung Smart product can't connect to Netflix, you are not stupid and you are not crazy. There is a legitimate issue with your device.

Collapse -
Re: I have a similar problem... but no answer...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 1:32 AM PST

Hi killallninjas,

Let's see if we can fix this. Let me know the whole networking picture if you would. You said the TV and Blu-ray player are both connected via ethernet to the switch/router/modem. What's the model for it?

Also, what's the error you're getting from Netflix? Can you try another app like YouTube and let me know how well it works?

HD Tech

Collapse -
I've tried everything.
by killallninjas / January 9, 2013 8:56 AM PST

You can probably look me up with reference number 2116685311. Trust me when I say every company involved has walked me through every trouble shooting step countless times. I have also already had Samsung connect remotely to the TV. The tech that connected remotely said there was nothing else to be done except to have the TV serviced. This was a 4 week old TV. I returned that TV, and the replacement TV (same model) has done the exact same thing. I have retried all of the trouble shooting with the new TV several times with no change. The error message is 'We are having trouble accessing these titles at this time. Please try again later". It must be a software issue. If the problem can't be resolved with servicing, I will have to buy a different TV. I'm almost completely defeated at this time. I am probably 10 hours involved with trouble shooting this problem with Samsung (phone, facebook, email), ISP, and Netflix at this time.
I'm just hoping for my message to get out, so that others are aware there is truly a widespread problem with Samsung, despite all the Samsung techs telling us they've never heard of such an issue.

Collapse -
by killallninjas / January 10, 2013 5:57 AM PST

Briefly worked last night, but is now not working again. Every time a make a big stink with someone at Samsung it will work briefly following the conversation or post (I'd say 4 times in the past 3 weeks). Hard to believe it's a coincidence that many times. Is there a software fix in the works? I'd like to know if I need to return this TV before I run out of time.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung LED 7150 - Netflix/Youtube problems!!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 9, 2013 1:41 AM PST

Hi dscon,

I'm really sorry for the delay. Let's see if I can get this working for you. You mentioned conversations with techs already. Any chance you could post the transaction numbers from them, so I don't have you duplicate anything you've already done.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Repair ticket number
by killallninjas / January 9, 2013 2:49 AM PST

Here's a repair ticket number: 4117533416. Maybe you can track that. If you recall from my post, everything else works as it should. Only the Netflix app doesn't work. I've performed every recommended trouble shooting technique from every company involved at least 10 times.

Collapse -
by killallninjas / January 9, 2013 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Repair ticket number

I'm not the OP. didn't mean to hijack is Samsung rep. Please ignore my previous reply.

Collapse -
(NT) no worries
by dsconk / January 9, 2013 3:55 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry
Collapse -
by dsconk / January 9, 2013 4:05 AM PST

Hi. I appreciate the outreach.

My ref# is 2116558161. In a nutshell:
- Netflix will connect once in a while (but takes 5-10 minutes to do so) but once connected it can not stream the content -either at all or for only a short period that drops out.
- Youtube also takes about 5-10 minutes to connect and I can't get even short clips to run. Just get the spinning wheel
- Web Browser apears to work ok after Update.
- I've installed latest firmware 1025
- Had cable company to house and they showed me 18Mps wifi signal at the TV.
- Blu-Ray with Smart Hub does same thing
- 1st level CS Rep told me she's had of a several similar customer complaints and thought she heard another firmware update was being worked. Level 2 Tech denied any knowledge of that.
- I can't connect directly to modem as its not next to TV
- Modem firewalls were removed
- TV and Smart Hub were reset to factory settings.
- All devices have ben unplugged and reconnected.

- TV model is UN55ES7150F

Thanks - Doug

Collapse -
Just FYI
by killallninjas / January 11, 2013 6:22 AM PST

For all of you having this Samsung/ Netflix app problem, I share this so you can at least know:

So, the Samsung service technician showed up today. Of course, he showed up during one of the few times in the past month the Netflix App has been functioning. (I'd say in the past month it has sporadically worked approximately 5 times for a couple hours at a time.) Hopefully, it'll continue to work.....

Anyways, the good part. Finally, this technician admits that there has been an issue lately with Samsung and the Smart Hub functioning, in general. He says that a firmware update was supposed to have been ready to go last week, but it isn't ready, yet. Hmmm... Samsung has been working to fix an issue that they repeatedly told me they've 'never heard of'. HA! So Samsung IS AWARE OF THEIR PROBLEM. They are just playing spin control, and playing dumb to all of our complaints. Not appreciated. He suggested I should wait a week and see if the new firmware update straightens things out when it is released.

Collapse -
by dsconk / January 11, 2013 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: Just FYI

Yeah we can't believe we got the 2 lemons! Thanks for the post.

Collapse -
if you can get to your tv networking
by catbirdfeeder / February 12, 2013 2:05 AM PST

samsung menu , network, network settings, continue like your are setting it up, (lan should be connected) go to ip settings, go to DNS SERVER and type 8 8 8 8. If it not highlighted click on DNS setting auto and change to manual... wayyy la!!!

Collapse -
Changing DNS doesn't help
by dsconk / February 12, 2013 5:37 AM PST

Thanks CatBird. A Samsung tech had me try that. Had no effect. Still have the problem. Updated firmware to 1026. Looks like there's a version 1027 if I look at "online" download - But that doesn't work on my TV. So when I go to download it online for USB download, there's no 1027?!?!

It's been over a month since a Samsung HD Tech reached out on this post and I have heard NOTHING back!

It's sad how customers really don't matter to them. Should have returned the TV when I had the chance. Again, they won't even honor my warranty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Re: Changing DNS doesn't help -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 12, 2013 6:33 AM PST

Hi dsconk,

Sorry, about the delay: I did forget about you. If you could, please message me by clicking on my username just above here and then click on the email link in the upper right.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Still getting the runaround from Samsung
by ThronOfThree / February 17, 2013 2:19 AM PST

I just recently had a firmware update on my 46'' Samsung TV and now the smarthub is a whacked out. I am having the same issues people have previously poster about only short youtube clips playing. But most irritatingly is that Netflix is not working. After spending the past few days waiting for a call from the "Advanced Tech Support" team on Samsung's end, I am running out of options.

Things I have tried:
-Resetting Netflix account (on Netflix's end)
-Resetting modem/router/tv
-Factory reset of Samsung TV
-Searching for newer firmware update from Samsung
-manually setting my DNS address to
-Calling Samsung Support

Does anyone else have any new tricks?

Collapse -
Re: Still getting the runaround from Samsung
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 18, 2013 2:21 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: Still getting the runaround from Samsung
by ThronOfThree / March 3, 2013 4:31 AM PST

So I have tried the Netflix Konami Code. And unfortunately, the only option available when the new window open up is an option is to close the window.

After about 3 hours of calling into Samsung's Customer Support and getting my calls dropped, I managed to speak with someone who was straight up with me.

According to this service rep. there is a known bug with the Smarthub. It affects all apps, but because Netflix is the most popular, it seems that there are a lot of Netflix related cases out there. She couldn't comment if there was going to be a firmware update anytime soon because according to her, "the problem isn't totally understood yet." I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

I have also tried accessing the netflix website via the web browser in the smarthub. You can log into your account, but it won't let you stream apps.

Right now, if you are looking to buy a new Samsung TV for the Smarthub feature, my suggestion would be to wait.

Collapse -
Samsung connection
by Givernysgarden1652 / August 22, 2015 8:27 AM PDT

Try re-entering the wifi gateway modem password. It worked for me.

Collapse -
dsconk, my changing the NETFLix ip address to 8 8 8 8, didnt
by catbirdfeeder / February 19, 2013 9:03 AM PST

It didnt work the next day. Matter of fact, I had to undo the 8 8 8 8 to connect HBO-Go. and then couldnt connect again to netflix. I gave up and bought a ROKU. It works fast and awesome, and I get HBO-Go thru it also. If I had paid full price for this TV I would take it back. 51" Samsung plasma smart tv. 8000sumthing...

Collapse -
by gwenlee99 / November 12, 2015 5:17 PM PST

I'm having some of the same issues, today after months and 3-4 service repairs Samsung is finally setting me up with a exchange for this TERRIBLE TV!! I pay for hulu, netflix, hbo and can't watch on this tv because of issues with the smart hub, Just note they are gonna require at least 3 hardware repairs, but the phone# is 800-726-7864 and explain the issues and go from there, if they do an exchange they will p/u old television and bring the new one!!! I wish you luck!!! ECR is Samsung's executive customer relations dept.!!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.