Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LED 7000 Series and Codecs

by USArch / July 7, 2009 12:37 PM PDT

Hello. I have Samsung UN55B7100 and UN40B7000 and both are having problems with codecs in playing either streamed movies from the using PC Share software, or from Netflix using an internet connected Samsung Blu-Ray player. It does play some movies. Other it would say the codec is not available and then goes to the next movie until it finds one that works. Yet, sometimes it would play the video without sound, with the error message that a suitable audio codec was not found to play the sound. I've basically tried installing all the available codecs on my PC, but that did not solve the problem. How goes one solve this issue. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LED 7000 Series and Codecs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LED 7000 Series and Codecs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 7, 2009 2:01 PM PDT

USArch,

There are two different issues. Let's tackle one at a time.

Netflix streaming is seperate from DLNA. When you say you're having trouble with the Netflix, what specific streaming issues are you having?

DLNA has a list of approved audio codecs in the manual for each specific series of televisions, and the resolution, codec and audio codec all have to match up.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by USArch / July 11, 2009 7:26 AM PDT

Thank you for the reply. OK, let us take them one at a time.

As far as Netflix is concerned, I use a Samsung 1590 Blu Ray player to stream the movies to the Samsung UN55B7100 TV. Some movies play fine (video and audio), but with many I would get the error that the file format is not suported. Now, I would presume that all movies streamed from Netflix have the same file format, but I am not an expert. So my question is why is this happening, and what could I do to reslove it?

As for the DLNA issue, I use the PC Share software that came with the TV to stream media from the PC to the TV. Again, most media files play fine, but in this case a lot of movies would either give the error that the file format is not supported, or that the codec is not available (especially audio codecs). All of these media files would play fine directly on the PC, so the codecs are installed on the PC and functioning. I have also downloaded and installed all possible codecs that I could find. Since everything works fine on the PC itself, I am guessing that the codecs on the PC have nothing to do with playing the media thru PC Share to the TV. Perhaps the TV has to have the codecs installed locally. Is that true? I would appreciate it if you explain it a little bit, and let me know if there is a solution. Or point me in the right direction.

Thank you very much.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 14, 2009 12:23 PM PDT

USArch -

I've not seen a File Format Not Supported message in Netflix yet, so this is a new one for me. I'll check around with some of our Blu-Ray experts in the office to see if anyone has heard anything about that.

The codecs on the television (listed in the manual) are the only formats that the television will show with DLNA. All three values have to match up (codec, resolution, audio codec) for the file to be streamed. Some computers have lots of codec support, which means that they can sometimes play movies that the television cannot. But for DLNA, only the codecs in the manual are programmed to play - and that is through the Samsung PC Share program. You might want to see if there is a newer version on the Support site (Samsung.com, click support, type in your model number, and click on the "software" tab) to see if there is a new version available. We update the program on occasion to fix bux or other issues as we find them.

I hope that helps, and I'll look into the Netflix not supporting files. Just so that we're on the same page, you're getting that error message within the actual Netflix program, correct?

--HDTech

Collapse -
by USArch / July 15, 2009 1:45 PM PDT

Thank you for the help.

I will check the file formats and maybe find a program that will convert all files to a format that is supported by the TV for streaming thru PC Share.

As for Netflix, yes, it is within the Netflix menu itself that this happens. You know that there is a queue within Netflix for instant play, and then you access that from the Blu Ray player. When you select a movie and choose to play it you get these turining circles on the TV while it is loading, it would then say format not supported, and then attempt to load the next movie in the queue. This will continue until it finds a movie it can play in the queue. Again, this does not happen all the time, but has happened many, many times.

Thank you...

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 15, 2009 2:20 PM PDT

USArch,

I hadn't seen a "Format Not Supported" message before, either IRL or on the forums. I called Netflix this evening to see what could be done, and they also seemed to be unaware of that message.

What they did suggest was going into the Menu, and instead of playing a movie, hit the INFO button on the remote, and deactivate, then reactivate the machine on the account. There are some instances where that does solve a number of problems, and would be my recommendation. If that doesn't fix the issue, let me know and I'll investigate that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Problem
by PHIL 555 / January 2, 2010 5:19 AM PST

I am having the same problem playing some movie files, particularly blue ray mkv files with no audio. What was your solution? Did you find file conversion software? I have a 7100 series TV

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.