Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LE40M86 LCD TV changing channels by itself!

by sskssk73 / January 9, 2009 6:00 PM PST

I purchased a Samsung LE40M88 LCD Tv over a year ago, after three months of having it, I got a problem. When i would switch it on it would flick through all the digital tv channels for about an hour and then settle on a channel, and I could then operate it as normal. There was nothing i could do to stop it. As it was under warranty I had an engineer come out and fix it, apparently he replaced the motherboard! It worked again ok for about 10 months and now recently it has started doing it again. Also, if we leave the tv on standby it sometimes switches itself on and then continues to flick through all the channels so we have to make sure that we turn it off by the plug. It is now out of warranty, I know that they replaced the motherboard before - do you think i could buy one and do it myself? Pleasssssssse does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem? Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LE40M86 LCD TV changing channels by itself!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LE40M86 LCD TV changing channels by itself!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not a "diagnosis" but.....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 13, 2009 9:13 AM PST

What I might suggest in terms of diagnosing this issue is that the symptoms suggest that the physical panel buttons on the television set are connecting even when they're not being pushed.

Both the channel changing and the power button turning the unit on, to me, says that there may be something with the keypad, rather than the motherboard. If this starts happening again, try to interrupt it by pushing the channel in the opposite direction or tapping the channel up/down button with your finger.

That repair, even out of warranty, should be considerably less expensive than replacing a PCB in the television. You might see if maybe the service center would diagnose it for free and then at least weigh your options if that's the cause.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
SAMSUNG LE40M88BDX LCD TV - HELP
by sskssk73 / January 14, 2009 12:57 AM PST

Thank you for your response, I think you could be correct, it may have something to do with the buttons (volume and channel) as sometimes I will try to turn the volume up on the tv and the channel will change or worse still it will start the flicking through channels process all over again. I will check out your suggestion this evening and let you know.

Thanks again

Collapse -
No worries...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 14, 2009 1:46 PM PST

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
SAMSUNG LE40M88BDX LCD TV - HELP
by sskssk73 / January 14, 2009 4:38 PM PST
In reply to: No worries...

Hi

I tried doing what you suggested, however pressing the channel buttons or volume made no difference. The TV still continued to flick through all the channels. I also tried pressing the source button and menu button. When i pressed the Menu button, the menu appeared on the screen and the tv started to flick through the menu options and stopped flicking through the channels (i hope this makes sense!) Once i pressed the Menu button again it reverted back to flicking through the channels once more. After about an half an hour it settled on a channel. I have rang Samsung about it and they talked me through reseting the tv and a software update, but it made no difference at all.

I was wondering that maybe I should disable the digital channels and just have analogue to see if this makes a difference - but i am not sure how to do this?

If you have anymore suggestions, please let me know.

Collapse -
samsung LN52A530P1F changing channels randomly
by blue stone / January 24, 2009 1:09 PM PST

We purchased a samsung 52 inch LCD TV. We use directional antenna and Blu-Ray disk player to receive signal (no cable). Right from the start the TV started changing channels randomly on its own. Occasionally it won't just change to the next channel but begin cycling through all the channels endlessly.
Also it will sometimes disconnect from the BluRay player - very annoying in the middle of the movie.

Collapse -
Button Pad
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 26, 2009 2:53 AM PST

Well, if I had to make an educated guess, it would be that the keypad is somehow making contact on the television set and turning the channels.

The best bet would be to call and see if you can get a technician to service your unit. I know, not the most fun of all options, but if that's what the problem is, nothing else is going to fix it.

In the US, that is 800-SAMSUNG. In the UK it is 0845-SAMSUNG.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Same Problem
by partychancer / July 26, 2009 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Button Pad

I have a 9 month old LE40a556 and I have exactly the same problem, the TV just started turning itself on in the middle of the night last night and cycling through the channels, it bleeps like it's the set-front buttons being pressed, I've tried pressing them but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've tried cleaning the button fronts to but no joy. It also happens after cycling the power.
Is the best way still to contact the Samsung helpline?
Thanks,

Collapse -
Samsung rip off?
by partychancer / November 23, 2009 10:08 PM PST

Right, so, after the advice above I ran Samsung support, thank you for that. As the TV was 9 months old an Engineer was duly dispatched and the controller board for the front panel was replaced. All well and good.
Now the TV, 17 days over it's 1 yr warranty, is displaying *exactly* the same problem again, namely changing inputs, turning itself off, volume going up and down etc etc on it's own.

Rang Samsung, they didn't want to know. Rang TV repair firm, they didn't want to know. Rang Dixons (who I bought the TV from) they didn't want to know.

My question is, a quick google of the problem proves that there is obviously a manufacturing fault, and yet no one will admit to it, can anyone advise as to my best course of action, as clearly it was sold to me faulty......?

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
Join the club
by Marcooose / November 24, 2009 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung rip off?
Collapse -
Problem with LCD HDTV Model # LN40B500P3F
by fusion1811 / January 10, 2011 12:55 PM PST

I have the exact same problem of changing channel and volume on its own.
This seems like a problem with almost all the Samsung LCD HDTV.

I think Samsung needs to find a permanent fix to this problem and do a product recall. This is not a good thing for someone like me who has got expired warranty expired on Nov 27, 2010.

Collapse -
Received Support from Samsung
by fusion1811 / January 21, 2011 12:30 PM PST

Good News for me! Samsung extended my warranty and had their Tech person come to my place to replace the parts.
Samsung needs to find a permanent fix for this problem.

Collapse -
Problem Toshiba LCD flat Screen 19"
by betdo / June 5, 2012 1:29 AM PDT

I have the same problem as fusion1811.Band many others but mine is 18 months old.I have been informed it is the digital tuner.Costly to replace.

Collapse -
Mine does this too!!!!
by midabe / March 12, 2010 12:10 PM PST

It started with the channels changing on their own. Today the volume starting changing on its own. This is really scare the heck out of you when you fall asleep to the tv and the volume goes all the way up! This is how I just woke up...

Like many, I feel ripped off. I keep looking for a firmware upgrade to possibly fix the issue. I don't have any button issues.

Collapse -
Me aswell. Hoping that it's now fixed
by MikeyP2010 / April 25, 2010 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine does this too!!!!

Hi All,

I'm having the same problem with the LE37R87BDX. It's two years old so out of warranty. Decided that it was all or nothing tonight and took the back off and disconnected the keypad. It seems to be working at the moment (other than not being able to control the tv without the remote).

Will post back again in a week or so (if I remember) to let you know if it's still working...

Collapse -
did your trick work?
by tomodan86 / July 1, 2010 9:31 PM PDT

Hey I am having the same problem with my 50" plasma, did your d/c of the keypad work?

Collapse -
Yes, (kind of)
by MikeyP2010 / October 2, 2010 4:09 AM PDT
In reply to: did your trick work?

Hi,

Sorry for not replying sooner. If anyone is interested, this did fix the problem for a while but it's now started being stupid again. It simply switches itself off randomly but other times it's fine for a number of hours (so got another 5 months out of it). The other fix someone suggested was that the tv should have it's own power socket and not be on a strip. I haven't got any spare plugs to do this though as the other plugs are for STB, Xbox and bluray....

Hope this helps someone.

I'm trying to decided whether to sell the TV as its faulty on ebay or just keep it as a spare...

Mike

Collapse -
Thank you it worked.
by AshwinNandihalli / December 30, 2011 12:21 AM PST

i just had little difficulty opening the back panel. Apart from screws there are few plastic hucks Mischief to realise this i needed service manual (samsung la22b450c8 service manual), after long search i found one free manual but forgot the link (sorry cant paste one) so used a small screw driver to loosen the hucks.

Apart from that i had to disconnect the key pad as you said. Its working fine. Love

Happy, thank you.

Collapse -
How to disconnect the keypad
by ruganzu / June 1, 2013 4:59 AM PDT

Hi, I'm having the same problem and I tried to follow your fix. But whenever I disconnect what I think to be the keypad, the TV doesn't switch on at all even with the remote. Could you please be more specific or send an image on jyaha156@hotmail.com please ? thank you.

The model of my TV is LN40A530P1FXZC.

Collapse -
RE: Mine does this too!!!!
by midabe / November 8, 2010 5:13 AM PST
In reply to: Mine does this too!!!!

It still amazes me there is no solution to this issue and that Samsung won't acknowledge this as a "known issue." When I called support, as my tv is now out of warranty, I was advised it would be cheaper to purchase a new tv.

I am now pursuing this via consumer protection services offered by the state. Like many, I feel like this is a manufacturer defect and Samsung won't acknowledge it.

Collapse -
Same Here!!!
by wilf79 / November 19, 2010 4:44 PM PST

I have a Samsung 46" LCD Amber TV (LE46A656A1FXXU) & the problem started with the tv going into standby a few mins after I turn it on.
Then it progressed to the tv changing source's & channels by itself.
Now it turns the volume down to 0 & keeps diong it like someone is holding the button down!

I have to keep pressing the standby button on the remote & the tv will eventually turn itself off and then when I put it back on it seems to work fine!

I tried cleaning the touch sensitive buttons on the tv but that doesn't help!

It seems to me that its when I am using HDMI sources & there is some sort of problem with the HDMI input signal causing the tv's to change channel etc...
...Is this possible?

Collapse -
HT-C6500 Home Theater & HPT5054 Plasma TV Source Switching
by edlind / July 7, 2011 5:45 AM PDT

My HT-C6500 Home Theater is in the Samsung Repair Center in New Jersey for the second time. Ever since I first hooked it up, it will sporadically switch sources on its own. The latest communication I received just this morning is that "The unit is NDF(No Defect Found) we have ran test and the unit is working perfectly fine. Again, this is the second time that I've had to ship the unit to New Jersey from Kansas. I was able to make contact with the service center and told them not to ship the unit back to me until someone can explain to me why this is happening.

I had read somewhere online about this problem being a known issue, yet I can't get it fixed by what evidently is the closest authorized Samsung repair center. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Collapse -
Same here!!
by Bunch_pr / December 27, 2010 10:19 AM PST

I bought a 52" like two years ago and about 3 months ago started having the same issue... After doing some research on the net and realizing that Samsung won't acknowledge the defect it was like another poster said all or nothing... Took it to a buddy of mine who knows about this stuff and he disconnected the front panel and right now is working with the remote only.

Hopefully I don't have any further issues with it...

Collapse -
channel/volume issues
by smartyarse / January 8, 2011 2:53 AM PST

I have a solution!!
after reading how the guy disconnected the keypad on the side of the tv (small 4 wire plug), I realised that the on/off button uses the same loom that runs to the motherboard, and this can't be disconnected as the remote receiver uses the same loom also. Heres the plan. As the 4 wire loom runs to the motherboard, break one of the cables and run a dinky little flick switch to the rear of the set that makes and breaks this wire. As soon as the tv starts to play up, flick the switch, if the problem persists, rejoin the cable and cut another! Let me know if this helps anyone! Its a shame to bin a good tv with such a small problem!

Collapse -
Problem with TEAC plasma
by pkgoz / January 10, 2011 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: channel/volume issues

I have a 4 yr old 42 inch TEAC plasma. 3 nights ago it turned on by itself and since then every time i turn it on, it just starts cycling through all the channels. No matter what buttons i press - on remote or on the tv it would not stop changing channels, every 2 secs. then i discovered something. on the tv itself, there is a button for 'Menu'. while it is changing channels, if i press and hold this button pressed for few seconds, it stops chaning channels. at least for 10 - 15 mins. if during this time you press any button on the remote, it goes back into the channel changing loop. I know i probably should bin it, but i spent just over AUD $2,000 for it. Does this temporary fix give some one another idea?

Collapse -
Samsung touch sensitive TV's
by pagodapsk / March 30, 2011 5:11 AM PDT

Not sure how to fix; however, did find the problem. I have a samsung 50 inch plasma that was sporadically changing channels and volume. Turns out the speaker that sits behind the keypad was contacting and tripping the controls. Simply pressing on the speaker a bit is enough to turn it on, etc. Not sure how to fix

Collapse -
Samsung erratically changing channels
by kimberly3g / April 28, 2011 10:39 AM PDT

Samsung 580 LCD TV (2.5 years old)

I had exactly the same problem with the TV channels erratically scrolling for no reason, and there was no way to stop it except by unplugging the TV. Eventually it would start scrolling through the channels again after it powered back up. I also noticed a beeping sound from the TV when it first powered on or when I tried to turn it off after the channel scrolling. I never heard this sound before (since purchasing the TV 2.5 years ago) but heard it every time I turned it on after it started this channel scrolling.

I did a lot of searching on the internet and it seemed to me like it was an erratic touch panel that was causing this problem. The touch panel on my model is in the lower right corner of the TV (this is where the power button, channel, and volume controls are located on the TV). The way I read to fix it is to take the rear panel off the TV set and disconnect the small white plug from the Infra-Red receiver board (located in the lower right corner where the touch panel is on the TV). This plug disconnects the touch-sensitive buttons, and the TV should not malfunction anymore.

This has worked for me so far. Thanks for the tips I saw on this forum and also on this one below that led me to the fix that has so far (fingers crossed!) worked!

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/3995z-samsung-le40a556p-lcd-tv-recently-started-turning-itself.html

Collapse -
Samsung changing channels
by irapete / June 28, 2011 5:25 AM PDT

Kimberly3g.
Thankyou for the post. Tried and it worked well.
I cannot thankyou eenough.
Thought it might cost a fortune, rather than 20 mins of my time. Tkes longer to remove screws than fix it.
Super Thankyou again.
Peter UAE

Collapse -
Great!
by kimberly3g / June 28, 2011 9:35 AM PDT

No problem, Peter! I'm so glad it worked for you, too!

You're right about the screws...that was the hardest part of the fix! Happy

Collapse -
Thank you. You solution works. I have elaborated the same.
by vpkamath / July 3, 2011 8:06 AM PDT

Your solution worked for me. I have included a new post here with the detailed steps and images for the benefit of the masses.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Franko_k / January 25, 2012 5:34 AM PST

Good stuff Kimberly3g

did as suggested, worked a treat, 15 mins in total..

Cheers and thanks, F

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.