Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LE40B551A6W LCD TV won't power on

by Tosbee / July 22, 2009 10:36 AM PDT

I purchased a Samsung LE40B551A6W LCD TV while on vacation in London 3weeks ago. I brought it back with me and set it up 5 days ago. While watching it tonight, it went off on its own and won't come back on. The power indicator light just blinks repeatedly. I've tried unplugging from the mains still no luck. What can I do? I'm also afraid that although the TV is still under warranty, Samsung will probably not honour it since the TV is no longer in UK. Is this correct? Please help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LE40B551A6W LCD TV won't power on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LE40B551A6W LCD TV won't power on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2009 11:18 AM PDT

Tosbee,

I just don't know. You'll have to call the service center in your/that area to find out how the service call could be done. Even if I knew what region you were in, you'd have to call to make a service appointment.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Tosbee / July 23, 2009 7:25 AM PDT

Thanks for your response. I live in Nigeria. I called Samsung's authorised distributor here in Nigeria but was told the Samsung UK warranty is not eligible here. I guess I'll either have to ship it back to UK for repairs/exchange or pay for the repairs here in Nigeria.

I wonder what is wrong with it. It is not even a month old! I've read about the experience others had with Samsung LCD Tvs but at least they got to use theirs for about a year or two!

Do you think that my TV may be having the same faulty capacitor problem?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 26, 2009 1:29 PM PDT

Tosbee,

Without inspecting it, it'd be difficult to pinpoint the issue.

Is the retailer going to allow you to return it? If they do, perhaps you could take the refund, purchase one in the region you live in, and then be eligible for the warranty.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Tosbee / July 27, 2009 5:22 AM PDT

Samsung_HD_Tech,

I was at Samsung Service Centre in Lagos, Nigeria on Saturday. They opened it up and said its a power problem but they can't repair as they're not used to that type of power system and they don't have the defective parts. Apparently the power pack is bundled with an inverter. I was told they can order the part on my behalf but I'll have to pay for the parts and labour. I really wonder what the relationship between Samsung Nigeria and the parent company is. Its like dealing with another entity entirely! Infact, they were going to charge for assessment but did me a 'favour' by assessing the TV for free Sad
I called Samsung UK customer service centre immediately after assessment and was advised to ship it back to UK for free repairs. Unfortunately, the store (Currys) can't give me a refund unless it gets back to the stores before the 28th day after purchase(which is tomorrow!) That of course is not possible. I tried various shipment options and the earliest time for delivery (after clearing) is Friday
The first time I called Currys customer service centre (on Thursday), I was told they can't take delivery of the TV straight from a shipping company so I need to find someone that will receive it in London and take it back to the store on my behalf for repairs.

So I'm now stuck with the defective TV. I tried calling Currys for a waiver till Friday but could not get through on the stores' own number and was kept on hold perpetually on their general Customer service centre no. Even if I send it back to UK and it is repaired, there's no assurance that this TV will work without breaking down when I ship it back to Nigera. I beginning to think I just wasted money.

I'd be glad to hear any suggestion you may have. For instance:
1. How long does it typically take to repair power-related defects on LCD TVs?
2. Will the stores accept the TV and send to Samsung on my behalf for repairs or must it be repaired at home?

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 29, 2009 6:20 AM PDT

Tosbee,

Sometmes retailers may make exceptions when it comes to returns, particularly if the salesperson said something that wasn't true regarding the warranty.

1. I can't speak on repair times in different regions. I have no idea when the parts would be shipped or available.

2. It would likely be repaired by a UK service center (In the U.S., the retailer usually handles that) and shipped back to you.

The fact that you're attempting to return it, and are only held up by shipping dates is a reasonable attempt at a return that the retailer should, but may not necessarily be obligated, to honor. I would definitely speak to a manager, and if no help is available, a regional manager for the retailer to see if accommodations can be made for the return of a defective product.

Why not return it to the UK and get a refund, and purchase a new unit (without the shipping) in Nigeria and get the benefit of the warranty? That would be what I would personally do, just speaking person-to-person.

I have no pull with our service centers outside of the U.S., and only limited pull within the U.S. for issues like this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by Tosbee / July 30, 2009 9:14 AM PDT

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I was able to send a friend to the store where I bought the TV on Tuesday. She was told I can only get a refund if it is returned within 28 days, and in unused state with the packaging intact. They however said they can take it in for repairs if she brings it in within the warranty period...I guess I'll ship it to her.

I plugged in the TV and tried it again...no luck. It however occurred to me that it may actually be in standby state. When I pressed any button on the remote (including the power button) the TV's standby light simply blinks repeatedly (faster than before) then returns to the previous rate of blinking (about every second)

Is there any reason why the TV wont come out of standby state?

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 30, 2009 1:12 PM PDT

Tosbee,

Assuming the power voltage is the exact same in both regions, the only think I can think is that it may have had some extraordinary handling on the trip over. Or it could just be DOA for a reason I can't imagine.

If you're asking me to make a wild, unsbustantiated guess, a red light blinking usually means a power supply issue or a board failure.

You don't have to say either way, but if you're using a converter to plug in a unit that has different power standards, make sure that not only the plug is adaptable by size, but also that the voltage is also regulated to what the television can handle. I've seen some converters that don't regulate the power, and if it's a case of the wall having more current than the unit can handle and it's not properlly supressed, this problem can be caused from just plugging it in. For all I know, the voltage and plugs are the same in both regions, but just offering that up in case they aren't.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung replaced my LCD TV!
by Tosbee / October 25, 2009 3:11 AM PDT

Hi,

I just want to let you know that I eventually shipped the TV back to London and my friend returned it to Currys. To my very pleasant surprise, I got a brand new replacement TV (not minding the fact that it arrived well over the 28 days limit!)

My friend was told that I was considered for a replacement TV because I complained within the first 28 days. I was so impressed that I bought the product support cover Happy

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Samsung 42" LCD won't power on
by Dejidara / May 2, 2012 4:46 PM PDT

Hi,

My samsung 42" LCD Tv won't power on. It just gives a clicking sound each time I try to switch it on. Sometimes, I unplug it from the mains for hours, plug it back and it comes on. When I switch it off, It won't power on but give clicking sound interminently. Could this be a bad capacitor problem?

Can you help me with the address of the Samsung Service Centre in Nigeria?

I look forward to a prompt response.

Collapse -
Nigeria Service Center
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2012 1:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Samsung 42" LCD won't power on
by Dejidara / May 3, 2012 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Nigeria Service Center

Thanks for the response. Here is the model no PS-42C96HD/XXEU.. Many thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Interesting Situation
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 3, 2012 7:31 AM PDT

Hey Dejidara,

Glad to have you drop by again. But just so you know, this forum is meant to mainly support US products and customers. So while I can't help you directly, if you want Samsung help, you should contact the support for your country. Also, we have a nice community here that might help you out. Happy

But I didn't say all that before, and I'm not entirely unhelpful. Happy So I did a little more research and found your TV is not Nigerian. It's from the UK. So here's the product page: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/PS42C96HDX/XEU

Hope this helps you!

-- HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.