Samsung

Question

Samsung LE32D403 Bad vibration from speakers!

by SETIBOB / December 3, 2012 2:34 AM PST

I've just got a Samsung LE32D403
Software Version; 2012/08/17-001010
Nice enough TV for the price but it has issues with the speakers vibrating.
This mostly happens if I want to watch a film/movie and set the sound settings to Movie!
It still happens even set to Music or Standard but to a lesser extent in that order!
E.g. Watching the news, the voice of the news reader sometimes sets the speakers vibrating at the lower frequency parts when someone is speaking or music is playing!
Had to change sound setting from Movie to Music when watching the 2009 Startrek film as the vibration was very bad

I've seen a few posts on the web that others have sound problems with this TV!
I've checked all screws on the back are tight etc!
What can I do to fix this?

Thanx for any help or advice.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LE32D403 Bad vibration from speakers!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LE32D403 Bad vibration from speakers!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How old?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 3:18 AM PST

If it's new I'd swap it but keep in mind that most sets have barely acceptable speakers. Most of us think it's to do with keeping the cost in check since folk that care about sound get a receiver or if they just want a little better a speaker bar.
Bob

Collapse -
by SETIBOB / December 3, 2012 5:10 PM PST
In reply to: How old?

Thanx Bob
This is my 2nd LCD screen but my first is a Toshiba and a small 19" and I'm now using that as a PC monitor! Sound on this very small screen is good for such a small screen, not a hint of vibration etc.
I think you're right about them "keeping the cost in check" I've also found a few posts about sound quality problems with this model since posting this thread but they don't list specific details.
I'm tempted to swap it like you suggested, and as it's only a few days old but as it was a gift I would rather not go down that route. I'm tempted to pull the back off and see if I can fit some rubber washers or felt to the speaker mounts just to try and stop the worst of the vibration. Saying that I'm not sure if it's the speakers vibrating or the actual carcass of the TV around them!

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Samsung LE32D403 Bad vibration from speakers!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 3, 2012 6:57 AM PST

Hi Setibob,

Thanks for your message. But just so you know: if you want Samsung support, I support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for Romania. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So while I can't help you directly, if you want Samsung help, here's the Samsung Romania portal for support on that product: http://www.samsung.com/ro/consumer/tv-audio-video/televisions/lcd-tv/LE32D403E2WXBT-support

Hope this helps you!

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
by SETIBOB / December 3, 2012 5:50 PM PST

Hi Samsung_HD_Tech
Thanx for the reply. I'm in the UK and the TV was purchased in the UK, not Romania!
The set was made in Hungary going on what's printed on the bar-code label on the back of it!

I went to Samsung.com before posting here but the sign up requirements for the site ask for detailed personal info which I think unnecessary just to send an email!! If you have a receipt and serial number etc! This is more annoying in my case as my name will not match the purchase details anyway!
There doesn't seem to be a support forum on the Samsung site!?

So if I can get Samsung support here in relation to this problem I would prefer?
Thanx.

Collapse -
Engineer on the way soon!
by SETIBOB / December 7, 2012 1:44 AM PST

As there seems to be limited interest here in support of this issue (maybe cos I'm in the UK!) I've opted to call Samsung direct.
Didn't take long and helpful so far I'm pleased to say.
After describing the problem they are getting a repair centre to call me back to arrange a visit by an engineer to fix the problem.
I was told there have been a number of these issues so I hope they will actually turn up with a fix and not just listen to it etc..

Not sure if this is the right approach, but as I didn't purchase it and I've found a number of posts relating to Samsung vibrating speakers going back years maybe this is the best way to sort it out as everything else about the TV is fine.

Personally I think its the TV outer case around the speakers vibrating, but lets see what the engineer says..

Collapse -
Answer
le32d403 speakers same problem
by lazaros33 / February 15, 2013 1:19 AM PST

my friend

i have bought the same tv here, in thessaloniki greece,and i have the same problem....
what did the samsung technician tell you that the problem was?

thank you

Collapse -
Problem better but not 100%
by SETIBOB / February 15, 2013 10:32 AM PST

Samsung use 3rd party technical support companies local to your location in the UK anyway!
The engineer came to my home and with 1 second he noticed the vibration. Yes it was that bad!!
He installed 2 new speakers which improved the sound, no vibration by 99%
The main board was also loose! He said that could have made the TV turn off!

The bad news.
He also said they get a lot of calls about this problem, not just for Samsung. He said its mostly down to the thin TV and small speaks can't handle the output.

I think that's correct but also the speakers in this model are simply pushed into place (stupid) and have foam around them but there are gaps. So no screws, gaps in foam, very thin lightweight speakers = vibration!!

The vibration is now coming back but I don't think I'll bother reporting it.
Engineer suggested a sound bar. I don't want one but if you want good sound then it's probably the only option.

FYI. Try setting the sound to basic, then you can adjust the equalizer settings! This can help reduce the vibration, but also reduce sound quality.
Overall a good TV but the sound quality is a total joke!
Good luck.

Collapse -
samsung speakers
by lazaros33 / February 15, 2013 2:55 PM PST

these are really bad news....

well there goes the myth...samsung =quality.... i ll have that in mind next time i buy a tv..maybe i will go for a panasonic or something..

thank you very much

Collapse -
Try a DIY fix!
by SETIBOB / February 16, 2013 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: samsung speakers

You're welcome.
I think from what the engineer told me is this problem is with lots of other manufactures. I think they are saving money on cheaper speakers cos they assume most people have a sound bar or 5.1 surround system and will never notice the rubbish speakers.

If your ok to do a little DIY and open the TV then buy some thin foam strips, self adhesive type about 5mm thick and refit the speakers. Tighten all screws on the case (there are no screws holding the speakers in on my set!) some case screws will be loose most likely. This will get rid of 90% ish of the vibration.
Then a little adjustment on the sound will get a small improvement on that.

I miss my big old CRT TV with full height speaks on the front both sides and another big set either side at the back. proper TV lol

Collapse -
Try a DIY fix!
by lazaros33 / February 16, 2013 4:03 PM PST
In reply to: Try a DIY fix!

I had to take the tv to the third party service myself so they could ...fix it... yesterday i took it back and yet havent test it ,,,,

Should i do a diy if the problem still exist ?

Me handling the problem by myself will cause a warranty void wont it?

Even though I am not quite sure what a foam strip is?
There is another thing ... i cant find the sound equalizer on the tv menu could you please give me a tip on how to locate it?

Again the manufactures should give a notice about the quality of the sound...not being good or something before you buy their products... if i knew that from the begining i would have bought a tv with different speakers .... like an LG with side speakers or something....
Do you have any idea if i can rip the speakers of and adjust them on external boxes ..lets say plexiglass or wooden cases would it be better???

Well i will try a movie tonight and observe the sound results

Collapse -
How to!
by SETIBOB / February 17, 2013 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Try a DIY fix!

Well test it first before anything else!
You can still throw it back at them and get your money back or demand a new TV different make if the problem has not been fixed.
It's up to you if you try to fix the problem or not!
The foam strip is used to separate the speaker from the TV's plastic case to prevent vibration!
Yes you would most likely void the warranty unless you were a qualified TV engineer.
Mind you these things are very basic inside, a 10 year old could work on them!
I'm not sure if flat screens have a capacitor like old CRT's, I don't think so! they can KILL you!! They hold a load of power to start the old CRT screens up!
I watched the engineer work on my TV. There are 3 boards. You don't need to touch any of them if you do decide to open it!
The speakers are either side and pointing down (very stupid) as the sound just doesn't work well with this design, I'm sure plenty of flat screens are the same!
Like I said before the speakers push into place (no screws) very stupid design also. This can lead to them perhaps moving out of position slightly and I think mine were never pushed into place correctly and were touching the case because the (foam) didn't go all the way around the speakers!
BTW. You will need to remove the stand before you take the back off!
You could in theory take the speaks out of the case and mount them! You would need to extend the wiring tho! better to connect to a sound system if you have one. The audio connections are very lacking on the back of this TV, check manual before you think about connecting external speakers etc!
Classical music is a good test, picks up vibration the best!
Sound equalizer;
Very strange way Samsung have done this. You need to set the sound to Standard to access the equalizer! Then it will appear under the sound menu!
Then when you're happy change it back to Music or Movie for better fuller sound!
Note. I've left mine now as from factory settings. So if your is still vibrating after the fix! Then get your money back is my advice.
I also have a line at the top of the screen so I might be sending mine back after all!
Also try the back to default settings just in case you changed anything that hasn't helped the sound problem!
There is a setting to adjust sound across all channels. This is not a good idea because it seems to amp the sound up way too much even at a very low level!
Good luck, hope its fixed!

Collapse -
News on repair
by lazaros33 / February 23, 2013 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: How to!

Listen here...
the techniciantold me that the tv screws were not screwed well and that caused tha vibration
When i took the tv back home the problem was still there
I tried to adjust the sound but it was in vain...So i took the tv back to the service point and guess what..they tried to make me feel crazy.. like nothing was wrong and i shouldnt be so demanding because the speakers are small and small speakers cant perform

small speakers cant perform...i shouldnt be so demanding

can you believe that

i told them that when i bought this samsung tv no one told me that the speakers are small and sound would be a problem..
Guess what they answered...only guess

Its common sense they said

Common sense....at that point i was this close to burst and grab him from the neck(i didnt)

At the end they decided to change the speakers

Itook the tv back now and it seems ok for now

Oh not to forget...
At the service point they told me if the same problem occurs again i shouldnt get the tv back to them...i should communicate with samsung and find a solution

I dont think i am to buy another samsung product anymore...and surely encourage anyone i know not to....
i mean its ok if things go wrong s... happens but not being willing to correct it thats another thing...

stay alert

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.