Samsung forum

General discussion

samsung lcd tv: vertical color lines *PLEASE HELP*

by justinwu86 / March 31, 2010 1:24 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: samsung lcd tv: vertical color lines *PLEASE HELP*
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: samsung lcd tv: vertical color lines *PLEASE HELP*
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
samsung lcd tv: vertical color lines *PLEASE HELP*
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 1, 2010 9:38 AM PDT

justinwu86,

Sorry to hear (and see) that you're having this problem. The pictures are incredibly helpful, and the good news is that your screen (usually the most expensive part) is still working based on the fact that you're getting the signal error.

It's likely that one of the boards inside may have gone bad - I can't determine why that would happen, but if you're still under warranty, you can get it inspected and fixed under the warranty.

If you'd like to explore that route, you can call 800-SAMSUNG or fill out the online service request form here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/online/supportOnlineServiceRequest.do

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
another problem now.
by justinwu86 / April 1, 2010 2:08 PM PDT

ok so i kept turning the tv on and off. and all of a sudden the tv works now.

however their are faint horizontal static lines now showing.
it is more noticeable when their is a lighter background and towards the edges....

what is the cause?

Collapse -
another problem now.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 1, 2010 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: another problem now.

justinwu86,

I can't say for certain on either one of them. I would really recommend having a service technician inspect and repair your set before the warranty is up.

If you're a U.S. customer, register your set online, and you can receive an extra 3 months of warranty - just in case. Happy

http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/product/myssMyProductRegist2.do

But I really would recommend that you call service now for the issue you're experiencing.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung LN52A593P1FXZC Vertical lines just out of warranty
by TraciiR / July 26, 2010 12:48 AM PDT

Is this a common problem that Samsung knows about and that is why they only give a 1 year warrant? What a racket!!!
We have the exact same issue with our TV & it is only 16 months old. 1/3 of the right-hand side of the screen has coloured verticle lines running top to bottom. We have been through all the checks as well.

Collapse -
vertical lines
by mpeewee15 / April 20, 2010 4:35 AM PDT

I have a samsung LN40A650 with touch of color. Mine is 16 months old.
I have vertical lines as you but only on the right half of TV. I called samsung and was given their parts service J&J International. I was told it was more than likely my T-CON board and I needed to replace the P-Flat cable with the board. I did and it did not help. I returned the board and was sent another because they said the new board could be bad. I replaced the board again with the 2nd new board and it still did not help. I called 3 different independent tech's from Texas to New York and everyone said that it is the LCD panel more than likely. Their reason is because the vertical lines being localized to the right side only and I had obviously replaced the only other likely cause. The T-CON board is really a Video Graphics Card on a computer just a different title.

Collapse -
mine is fixed
by justinwu86 / April 20, 2010 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: vertical lines

i got mine fixed.

called the samsung and they sent a tech over to pickup the tv.
took 2 weeks but the problem is fixed.

Collapse -
Vertical colored line on left side of screen
by luluchiboy / June 2, 2010 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: mine is fixed

I have a LN52A550PF3 for about 18months and having the same vertical colored lines. I will load up a video when I figure out how to on youtube and pics.... but the tech guy I sent it to for diagnostics says its my panel???

Collapse -
tv problem
by justinwu86 / June 2, 2010 1:22 AM PDT

yeah the pannel has gone bad.

are you still under warenty? sucks if you are not because my warrenty was for 1 yr only. i think it should be longer though.

anyways, the repair guy said it was a easy fix as the pannel needed to be replaced. samsung paid for all the cost. they come to your house and take the TV as they can not fix it on the spot. so it takes about a week.

does the problem look like the one i have in my pics?

goodluck.

Collapse -
colored lines
by luluchiboy / June 2, 2010 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: tv problem

yes similar pics. talked to samsung today. they only allowed to increase parts coverage to july 2 2010.... 1 month from now. i would have to pay for labor but samsung covers the parts. i think a new panel for me costs like 1500. still going to wrte letter to corporate about current situation.

Collapse -
pannel
by jenncho / May 12, 2011 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: tv problem

My tv is doing the same thing yours did. Do you know what the name of the panel is that they replaced? The guy near me wants an astronomical amount of money to fix the tv so I'm looking into ordering the parts online.

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2011 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: pannel

If you post your story, the transaction numbers, what model number, what country (just the facts) sometimes you get a little assist from our friendly Samsung helpers.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung should recall their TVs
by biljosaurus / June 18, 2011 6:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a tip.

This T-CON board/TV panel issue is an obvious design flaw. If a car had this serious of a design flaw, it would have been recalled. I have a Samsung LCD TV LN46A650 and have the vertical line issue. We are being told we need to replace both the T-CON board and the TV panel together. The price for parts is about $80 for the T-CON board and over $600 for the panel. Forget that. Taking into account labor, I can just buy a new TV. Looks like it won't be a Samsung. I should have never replaced my older Sony TV with this one. I had that one for 10 years and it was still working flawlessly.

Collapse -
Sorry but you might not want the help here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 7:07 AM PDT

Here we have a great Ambassador that can escalate requests under certain conditions. It appears you have no intention of trying this.

Hope you find what you were looking for anyway and good luck!
Bob

Collapse -
Thought all options were exhausted...
by biljosaurus / June 19, 2011 12:53 PM PDT

I appreciate your prompt reply, but I did not know you had a great Ambassador that can escalate requests under certain conditions. Just to clarify, what kind of requests can the Ambassador escalate? Can the Ambassdor help us in these conditions? We already contacted Samsung via e-mail in addition to contacting an approved service center to try to get our problem resolved reasonably to no avail.

Collapse -
To recap.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2011 1:02 PM PDT

Make a new post with the model, the country, the all important transaction number and the story. There are a few that want something else and I fear they will have to keep searching for that. Those that went legal should go with that since it's now a legal and not a service issue.

I know it's a lot to ask but read other posts about this and see that there are a lot of successes here.
Bob

Collapse -
Transaction Number?
by biljosaurus / June 24, 2011 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: To recap.

What is a transaction number? Should I create a brand new thread or post to this one? Sorry, but the rest of the first paragraph is a bit confusing. Why is it a legal issue now and what are others searching for?

I spent a little time looking at other posts, but couldn't find any successes. Can you be a little more specific as to which ones would be good to read?

Collapse -
That's from your call to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2011 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Transaction Number?

Samsung. Be sure to ask for it. Sorry but this is all volunteer and I'll help where I can. You can decide to bury your new post here or creat a new one in this forum. I hope you can see why a new post may be to your benefit.
Bob

Collapse -
Transaction Number?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 24, 2011 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Transaction Number?

biljosaurus,

Collapse -
Same Vertical line problems
by bettie810 / February 1, 2012 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: To recap.

My 52" Samsung LCD TV started showing these vertical lined bar (about 6" wide) ever since our cable service provider in Toronto, Canada (Rogers) made enhancements to the HD box. I am not sure if that was the cause, however, reading all the reviews, it seems like this is a known fault with Samsung TVs after about 18 - 24 months of usage. This is really not on, as I cant afford to fork out over a thousand bucks after having spent cdn$ 1700 for the TV not too long ago. How do I get this Ambassador to assist me with taking my complaint through to Samsung. I have not done anything yet, just reading reviews and feeling really cheated. Samsung should definitely do a recall if so many people are having problems. Please guide me. Thank you!

Collapse -
To do that. Create a NEW POST.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 6:10 AM PST

This discussion is outdated and should be locked shortly so folk know to use the new system at the top of this forum.

PLEASE CREATE A NEW POST.

Collapse -
VERITICAL LINES DOWN THE MIDDLE OF MY TV
by debbiedraffin / September 24, 2011 8:44 AM PDT

Having the SAME problem as it seems MANY are having. It seems there have really been NO logical answers other than paying for a part that costs more than the tv did!! This should be a RECALL!!!

Collapse -
Why not
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 25, 2011 6:43 AM PDT

Why not escalate and inquire with our new service program?

Collapse -
WTF Samsung
by mickey_mous / January 3, 2012 2:45 PM PST

It seems to be specifically this model (the same one i have) that is having all the issues. My TV is just over 2 years old and it started doing the vertical color lines bleeding last week. I called Samsung and they told me too bad b/c i was out of warranty..... Talk about Samsung not caring about their customers. There should be a recall because how widespread this issue. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB. Talk about a waste of my money. Samsung just lost another customer.

Collapse -
my tv crappy samsung
by redrockets / November 30, 2011 9:33 AM PST
had faded vertical lines when my tv would finnaly turn on and i fixed the delay now it turns on like a champ and vertical lines are gone too thanks to youtube posts cost me about $10.00!!
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.