Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD TV Screen flickering (LN55C630K1F)

by 3xv / January 14, 2012 5:46 AM PST

Good day everyone. We have a Samsung 55in. LCD Tv that has intermitent screen flickering since July of 2011 (unit purchased 6/27/10). I contacted Samsung tech support and informed me that since the unit was out of warranty that they won't be able to warranty work on it. Fast forward to today and the flickering seems to be permanent and have found out from this forum that:
a) There was an available 3mo warranty extension if the TV was registered at Samsung.com that the tech support person failed to inform me.
b) There seems to be a lack of reliability with Samsung LCD TV's based on a frequency of this type of issue as indicated by posts from forum members.
I just wanted to know what course of action others have done to have their TV's fixed.
Thank you in advance and I wish everyone a wonderful weekend.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD TV Screen flickering (LN55C630K1F)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD TV Screen flickering (LN55C630K1F)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2012 6:07 AM PST

1. Use the SERVICE ISSUES at the top of this forum next.

a. See above and hope.
b. From my view it's not so dire. Samsung has 60% of the market in some areas so given so many million sets, no so bad. And now that we have forums like this, only those with issues will post. This could lead folk to such a conclusion.

There is some service bulletin on some units about the need to clip some jumper. I have no privy to that document so be sure to bring it up when you call in again. Samsung has been running around and fixing that one for no charge. Seems like a fair deal.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you.
by 3xv / January 28, 2012 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: I'd try

I appreciate your input. From my view, SAMSUNG TV's are not built well. Have a great day.

Collapse -
Samsung LED 55" Screen Flickering
by ny_italiano / January 15, 2012 4:02 AM PST

Same issues you are having...bought this back in March 2010 and noticed it first beginning summer 2011...of course warranty is gone and Samsung support had no clue...told me to take it to authorized dealer for repair. After much research came to the conclusion IP board went bad. I used a repair shop I've worked with in the past and he replaced the IP board...unfortunately, same issue still exists! I'll keep posted on what happens from here...

Collapse -
It's a shame Samsung didn't do the work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2012 4:22 AM PST

This sounds just like, too close to an issue a bulletin or such as written about. I'd pester the repairer to ask for support about cutting a jumper.

Collapse -
Samsung LED 55" UN55B8000XF
by ny_italiano / January 15, 2012 4:28 AM PST

i came across something concerning "cutting a jumper" but the person said they couldn't remember where the forum was...do you have anymore info...

Collapse -
Sorry. I defer to Samsung.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2012 4:40 AM PST

This is not an user serviceable area. I leave it to them or folk that want to do such things.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung Flickering
by 5200trek / January 15, 2012 4:38 AM PST

Check these posts out:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t7646867-recently_purchased_samsung
Solutions (3)

Problem: screen is flashing on all imputsSolution: some LN46C630K1F have a faulty jumper switch. Specifically Jumper 852 should be cut and removed per Samsung.This
is a Samsung fix according to the Geek Squad with Best Buy. However,
if you do not have this problem until after you have owned for 12 months
Samsung assumes no liability and will not pay for repair or reimburse
for repaid. This is despite knowing the problem and how to fix.Very un-Samsung based on previous experience and not like Best Buy to stand by and do nothing.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-520377/samsung-ln46c630-46-lcd-flickering/
Woohoo!! Easy fix!! by chawnskie - 11/14/11 8:37 PM In Reply to: Me too (3): LN46C630 Flickering by chawnskie I continued my Google search after posting here. I found the below post on the Amazon forum:<i>" Denise says: i have the LN46C630 model with same flickering problem occuring just after warranty expired. technician fixed it by cutting one "jumper" (metal wire about 1/2 inch long) located on the power supply circuit board. takes 5 minutes to fix. technician said samsung issued service bulletin that told repair techs how to fix it. you can do it yourself with
a screwdriver, small wirecutters. i could send a photo if you wantok,
not sure how to post the photo here, but here's what the technician did
for $150...unscrew 17 screws, remove the back cover to the TVfind the power supply circuit board, that's the one your TV's power cord plugs into. On the power supply circuit board, upper left corner, to the right of and below the large 46", there is a metal jumper labelled JP852 that is no more than 2 cm in length. it connects something labelled 'Input rating' and another labeled 'COLD'. the technician used wire cutters and cut the JP852 jumper. that solved my flickering issue, TV works great now. tech said that every size TV in this class of samsung has the same design flaw and can be fixed like this. good luck. i would post a photo, but can't figure it out."</i>source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R1PD14XKZ7MKCZ/ref=cm_srch_res_rtr_alt_4It
works. I can hardly believe it, but my TV went from a complete black
screen after a few minutes of flickering, to good as new with the clip
of a tiny wire!!! It took ~ 15mins to complete. I thought for sure it
was one of those "too good to be true" moments, but since I was assuming
I wouldn't get warranty support, I figured why not. When has the
internet last led me astray...? Ok, we won't talk about that Samsung_HD_Tech,
any chance you could inquire within and let us know what this does? The
post says there was a service bulletin. If so, they know about it.This
seems like a solution for a lot of people who are out of warranty or
don't want to deal with the hassle of service even if under warranty. Next unread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1340774.html
spudsdude12-23-11, 12:03 PMWow, talk about a fix that should be public.
Cut a jumper they missed at the factory. JP852 on the power supply board.

The fix (for backlight strobing):
Remove phillips screws that hold the back black metal cover onto the tv,
there's one screw at the inputs area, the rest are all around the
outside of the frame. All are in plain sight and no stickers or other
items have to be removed to get the cover off.

After you have the cover off, cut a jumper on the power supply board that was missed at the factory.

Jumper location: JP852, it's a small connecting wire between the input and cold area of the power supply board.

Details:

There's a Samsung bulletin for this issue, it didn't show up on the
repair guys computer. He called them as he thought it could be the panel
itself (which requires authorization as it's over some set value), the
guy on the line said it's a known issue and there was a bulletin by
Samsung.

While I didn't get the bulletin number, the fix is to cut a jumper on
the power supply board, something they missed in the factory.

Jumper: JP852

He cut that jumper, put the back panel back on and remounted the tv (it's wall mounted), problem fixed.

The repair guy said every Samsung TV in this class has the same issue,
something that was missed at the factory. In my opinion this should be
public knowledge and Samsung should be fixing these for free, even for
those out of warranty.

A quick google search on the jumper lead me to another thread, with another model that was affected by this issue LN46C630
forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-520377/samsung-ln46c630-46-lcd-flickering

I also asked about a "buddy's older Samsung TV", thinking of the guy in
this thread that said his TV takes forever to turn on, he said that's
another known issue with bad cap's on the power supply, easily seen by
bulging of the cap's. To fix those the caps have to be replaced, he said
that's so common that he keeps a whole bunch of caps for the Samsung
power supply's in his repair truck.

not sure if it works and a little worried about cutting a jumper but I have the same issues....

Collapse -
Ln55c630k1f
by Tn_1213 / January 16, 2012 3:22 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung Flickering

That is some great info! But does anyone know where the location for the jp852 is on the power supply board for the Samsung Ln55c630k1f model is? I see that the previous posts are for the 46 inch model. Thanks

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Ln55c630k1f

Samsung appears to correct this for you for free (so far.) Why risk your set when they'll do the work for you?

Collapse -
Just a tip.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 19, 2012 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: Just a tip.

And one more tip:

Collapse -
55" Samsund LED TV UN55B8000XF
by ny_italiano / January 20, 2012 5:06 AM PST

Very True! Thanks for all who are posting help/tips...did provide the jumper info to my repair guy...he said he was aware of this issue but not for my model tv...there was an instance where he tried this on a different model with at the customers request and worked temporarily for about two weeks, then had same and more issues! He would not try cutting the jumper on my model (55" Samsund LED TV UN55B8000XF). Nothing new to post as of yet for the status of my tv...

Collapse -
Not JP852 on 55
by bezetty / February 23, 2012 1:07 AM PST

I started here to get mine fixed so I'll end it here with what fixed it.

the JP852 jumper fix is not the same for the 55" (at least it was not for my power supply per the Samsung tech that came out). My tech pointed out the that cutting JP854 on my particular power supply works for some people - but I am not recommending it since I did not try it (nor did he).

On one of these forums a Samsung moderator suggested submitting a ticket to the Samsung facebook page (there's a support ticket link on the left). I did, even though I was about 9 months out of the 1 -year warranty period (i.e. 21 months old).

Short story - they gave me a one time warranty extension and came out and replaced my power supply. (So far so good on solving the flicker problem). They responded very quickly.

I'll update if the problem re-occurs.

Collapse -
LN55C630K1F - JP854
by Daveg5150 / March 25, 2012 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Not JP852 on 55

I researched possible causes of the "flickering/strobe" issues I've been facing and found this blog. As mentioned in the above comments, the 55" does not have a JP852 jumper. I threw caution to the wind and cut the JP854. It's been working for several hours and hasn't blown up yet (got to a point where 15 min's max prior to flickering). Worst case if problems return I'll ask for an extension on warranty or purchase and install the power supply myself.

Thanks for the detailed info on this forum!!!

Collapse -
Ln55c630k1f
by Rhaiane / February 1, 2012 12:35 PM PST

I am having the same issue with my 55" and so I opened it and tried to look for the jp852 but I couldn't find it anywhere. Can somebody help...

Collapse -
(NT) Couldn't find it either I was going to try jp850
by Vignarri1 / April 23, 2013 1:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
Samsung LN4646C30K1F
by sue-ny / November 18, 2012 4:47 AM PST

Samsung is not acknowledging a flickering problem at all. Its amazing how many people have experienced this AFTER warranty. Samsung customer service reads their ready made script, even on the supervisor level and they won't budge to fix an obvious problem. They discount the whole matter, and I quote " we sell millions of TV's and a few complaints is not a problem" REALLY????? I will do the fix myself as I have seen in snipping the JP852, after all it will void a waaranty I don't have or any customer support from Samsung unless I'm willing to pay for it. Thanks a lot folks. So beware before you buy ANY Samsung product---they do not stand beind their product at all.

Collapse -
flickering in LA40c550
by lpmgre / February 2, 2013 1:06 PM PST

I'm having the same problem with the 40" model - LA40c550. The powerboard model is BN44-00340B, which doesn't have the same wire numbers as mentioned above. Does anyone know if there's a fix for this model?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.