Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD TV: Problem with subtitles (.srt files)

by ba247 / October 13, 2010 12:27 AM PDT

In my Samsung LCD TV (LA40C5301R), when I play AVI files (via the USB port) with associated SRT file, then the subtitles appear fine, but only for the first 25-30 minutes. Then they dissappear. If the video is longer than 40-45 min or so, subtitles reappear. I have checked the SRT files and they play fine in VLC player on my laptop and via the USB of DVD player (ie, no problem of missing subtitles in either case). I am keen on using the TV's USB for video files as it has better picture quality then via the USB port of my DVD player. Please can anyone suggest any solutions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD TV: Problem with subtitles (.srt files)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD TV: Problem with subtitles (.srt files)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While VLC Player is a great idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 1:42 AM PDT

You have to admit that a TV is not a PC. You have to inspect the SRT file and see that it's perfect. VLC Player is well known to accept less than perfect content.

Collapse -
Comment on SRT problem in Samsung LCD TV
by ba247 / October 13, 2010 4:01 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the SRT file and it plays fine in VLC as well as via the USB port of my Sony DVD player. I agree that the TV is not a PC and suspect that this has something to do with the TV memory. However, I wanted to check if it was some bug with possible solution or just the limitation of the TV. The point is that Samsung should not make such half-hearted attempts; if a facility is provided then why not all the way!

Collapse -
I agree but have to repeat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 11:53 PM PDT

That while it's fine that it plays in VLC and another device that does not help much.

Hope you find the time to inspect the SRT file in some editor and see if it violates any syntax. We know that VLC can work past such issues but we also know that the simpler code in the TVs often can't handle it.

Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV: Problem with subtitles (.srt files)
by maheshkumarv / December 27, 2010 5:50 PM PST

I have a Samsung LCD LA40C530 with the same problem when playing mkv files with separate srt files. When checked with the technical team of Samsung. It was told that when USB is getting heated up sometimes the subtitles will go off. But I think that's not a valid reason because the subs are visible after some time.

I am also waiting for the solution for this

Collapse -
same problem
by raghed / May 3, 2011 4:12 PM PDT

i have also LA32C450 tv it has same problem i have tried hudredes of movies and subtitles arabic english avi mkv also tried to merge srt file with mkv (but it can't be played after that :(((!!!!!).... if anyone have a solution... i was trying to convert the mkv + srt to one avi but it tooks so long time and i lost quality Sad

Collapse -
did u find a solution?
by hashid / July 15, 2011 8:49 PM PDT

hi.. even i have this problem.. its very annoying too! did u find a solution for this? is there a software upgrade available for samsung lcd tvs ?

Collapse -
by hashid / July 16, 2011 4:35 PM PDT
In reply to: did u find a solution?

Hi i have finally got the solution for this problem!
You just have to upgrade your TV Firmware using any USB device.
Just go to samsung website of your Area, select the TV Model, download the firmware and follow the instructions in the given Guide! Now the subtitles last for ever! HappyHappy

Collapse -
Firmware Update
by udaykhan / February 10, 2013 6:27 PM PST
In reply to: SOLUTION FOUND!

I know this thread is very old now, but for the benefit of others, I am posting this. I am from India and I also have exactly same model and same issue. There are a bunch of video files and each one has a corresponding .srt file with same name and never managed to get the subtitles to display. I found a firmware update on the below link. I will try this and reply again with the results.

Collapse -
Firmware update issue
by udaykhan / February 20, 2013 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: Firmware Update

I ran into an issue updating the firmware... can someone help please?

I downloaded the firmware, extracted it to USB drive (actually a micro sd card plugged into a USB card reader) and tried to update the firmware. It recognizes the card, scans for a minute or so and says no update file found. I have verified it is definitely newer than the version i have on my TV. Is it not reading the folder structure properly? Once extracted, it generated two folders, each having about a dozen or so files. I tried keeping both folders in it, and then one folder at a time, and then each folder's contents directly in the root location (just in case it doesn't read through folders), nothing worked.

Any suggestions please?

PS: I know this is an old thread, but please can anyone help? If this doesn't work, my only option is to buy a blu ray player and burn all of my stuff to bluray/dvd. The end result I am trying to achieve is to watch a bunch of videos which are in h264 / xvid format, with external subtitles (.srt files).

Collapse -
My bad
by udaykhan / March 5, 2013 5:13 PM PST
In reply to: Firmware update issue

All along I never realized that the subtitles option was turned off on the TV's settings. I turned it on and they are playing perfectly. I no longer care for the firmware update. Of course it might have something new but if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Collapse -
the solution
by dewadewo / December 3, 2013 12:46 PM PST

download for free subtitle converter software (i use Easy Subtitle Converter) and covert your .SRT file to .SSA (AdvancedSSA), then u can watch the whole subtitle in your movies you play in Samsung LCD TV.

Collapse -
Seems to repeat the advice above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2013 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: the solution

Along with udaykhan's discovery that it was turned off in the TV.

This thread is more than 1148 days old and is now closed. Start a new thread if you have a new question/issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.