Samsung forum

Samsung lcd tv (LN46A650) clicking sound

by dscostu / August 15, 2011 3:44 AM PDT

My 3yr old (out of warranty) Samsung LN46A650 will not turn on and has a clicking sound emanating from it. I did some web-search and found that this is a common problem on Samsung LCD TV around the 2-3 year mark. I wish I knew of that before I spend $2000. Anyhow, I was pleased to see that many people who have this issue have just phoned 1-800-SAMSUNG and they have (recently) been sending out a repair person to fix it free of charge. This is a known issue (take a search you will see). So, even though my tv was in need of repair, I was very happy to hear that other's were getting some help from Samsung. I thought what a great company...I can not wait to by that new UN55D8000 55-Inch 1080p 3D TV in a couple months....

That was until I called and found that my model isn't in the policy....and that I would have to pay out of pocket for the repairs. I have figured the new service to cost me several hundred dollars.

So, what they were really saying was...Spend several thousands of dollars on a Samsung TV and in three years add on several hundred more dollars to it to keep it going...and oh BTW we don't stand by our products.

I asked to speak to the supervisor and he told me that he can not do a thing and when I asked him to explain to me why my TV model is out of the "free repair policy" he told me that question was was out of his pay grade....and that I could not speak to anyone else on the phone. After some talking I did get an email address of the main headquarters (or something...probably to a I am going to write my email tonight...any ideas anyone???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung lcd tv (LN46A650) clicking sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung lcd tv (LN46A650) clicking sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas. Do what others did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 7:54 AM PDT

Post the model, country and that all important Transaction Number and see if the Ambassador kicks it up.
That's no guarantee this will happen but why not try it?

Collapse -
Thanks. Two questions though...
by dscostu / August 15, 2011 9:50 AM PDT

Ok, thanks. I will. Bit of a noob here...What do you mean by transaction number? and what do you mean by the Ambassador kicking it up?

Collapse -
You would have to read other discussions but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 15, 2011 11:19 AM PDT

The Transaction Number is what you get when you call it in to 1800SAMSUNG (varies with country)
The Samsung Ambassador checks this forum (always write a thank you for their efforts) and they reply with hints and sometimes helps by having the case reviewed. There is no guarantee on this but my reply is to help you fill in the blanks for the best effect.

Collapse -
Samsung rocks! lcd tv LNT4032H
by musicsinger42 / August 25, 2011 1:43 AM PDT

-Just got off the phone with Samsung who scheduled a FREE REPAIR of our clicking-wouldn't-turn-on TV. The first rep I talked to said it was out of warrantee and we would have to pay for the repair. Told them that we realized our 42 month old TV was out of warrantee, but many of the posters on the cnet forum raved about the repair service they had received from Samsung on out-of -warrantee sets and wondered how we might receive that same service.

Immediately he changed his tune and switched us to the "Executive Service" section where a very efficient young man had us scheduled for a free repair within 2 minutes! The local repair service is to call us to schedule an appointment within 48 hours. What great customer relations! Thanks, cnet, for giving a voice to avenues I wouldn't have known about otherwise! And thanks to Samsung for taking care of your customers. We will certainly purchase other Samsung products in the future!

Collapse -
Don't give up....
by dscostu / August 30, 2011 2:25 AM PDT

I just thought to do a follow-up to my op.
It is funny because the first person I talked to told me that my TV was not part of the "free repair" program because it's maunufacture date was past the set cut-off date in their repair policy. I then wanted to speak with the supervisor and he too agreed that I was SOL due to my set's manufacture date. Later that night, due to an above post from " R. Proffitt", I wanted to get my transaction number to post it on this forum. I again explained my problem step by step (just to see if I would get the same response)...and would you believe it the evening guy I spoke with (this time) said I was covered and set up a tech to call me. Now, is this how they are handling once and no luck back and you get it....???

The tech came two days later and fixed it in 30 min or so...what a headache going through the first phone call and getting all worked up with the supervisors uncaring and apparently wrong response to only get the free repair later that night. Don't get me wrong...I am happy to have it fixed for free, but did I need to go through all of this BS to get it done?

Collapse -
Samsung lcd tv (LN46A650) clicking sound
by freqtrave / November 26, 2012 4:26 AM PST

Had this same problem. Started on Saturday. Called Samsung on Monday and service tech was dispatched and covered even out of warranty. Cudo's to Samsung for doing right.

Collapse -
If anyone is still experiencing this problem:
by srturner67 / March 1, 2013 10:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV (LN46A650) clicking sound
by DeedubLu / July 26, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

I would like to thank all of you who took the time to write your posts. My tv had been sitting in the closet due to the clicking sound. I called the samsung number and verified that my tv was eligible for free repair. Samsung customer service was extremely helpful and scheduled my repair immediately. Thank you all!!!!!!!! I love samsung products and am so excited to have my tv working again.

Collapse -
by ymor133 / January 7, 2014 5:06 AM PST

Thanks for all the info on this particular problem. Got a rep and they are sending out a repair tech to fix the TV. Awesome!!!
Thanks again!

Collapse -
samsung lcd --ln52a540p2fhad --clicking sound when power on
by ron547 / February 13, 2014 4:32 AM PST

I had an unsuccessful on line chat with a Samsung customer service rep.--ltk1125602232. Bottom line he said he could find no issue related to my problem even though I explained it is all over the internet about Samsung having problems with the capacitors used in my model

Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Actually the BAD CAP plague was not Samsung specific
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2014 4:37 AM PST

It hit all makers with Dell at 2+ million PCs and untold other things.

However I find folk that want it to be the BAD CAPS problem but they won't pay for service if the caps are found good. I understand that but there are more reasons for this failure than what you are reading about.

This thread is years old and the BAD CAP issue is mostly on units that should have failed by now. How did you inspect for this issue?

Collapse -
by thundercrescent / November 9, 2015 6:31 PM PST

I am from Canada.About a week back my tv started giving click click sound when try to switch on and only after few click clicks the tv will power up. Now there is only click click sound and tv doesn't power up at all.

Called Samsung in Canada and explained them about the capacitor settlement. I got an answer that my model is not included and i will have to pay service charge. Called second time and was informed that they stopped providing free service of capacitor replacement some time in Jan 2014. Any suggestion how can I have this free service arranged? I told them I am prepared to pay for service if this is not a capacitor issue but Samsung rep would not agree to that also.

Collapse -
Be sure to remove power.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2015 6:37 PM PST

Continued use can damage other boards and parts. If it is the cap issue, folk need to stop using these and get it fixed while it's fixable and not taking out other boards. I know good TV repair folk are hard to find but when you do, smile and send others to them.

Collapse -
Be Sure to Remove Power
by thundercrescent / November 10, 2015 4:48 PM PST

Thanks Proffitt. Yes, I have removed power and trying to find a good local repairer.

Collapse -
by thundercrescent / November 21, 2015 5:32 AM PST

Local repairer wanted $200 plus to repair. Based on information on internet, CNET and Youtube, I managed to do it myself with the help of a friend. Replaced four caps, total cost less than $25.

Thanks to all those known and unknown who helped.

Collapse -
Wow !
by itsdigger / November 9, 2015 7:34 PM PST

I'm dying to ask why you wouldn't start a new 2015 thread ?
But I won't Devil

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.