Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD TV LN32A330 power won't turn on

by acoust97 / January 4, 2010 9:45 AM PST

My 1 1/2 year-old LCD TV model LN32A330 won't turn on by direct and
remote today. The red stand-by light is lit, but never blinks and
the TV won't power up. Are there any people who have got same problem?
And what is the solution?

Any inputs and responses are very appreciated.

Acoust

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD TV LN32A330 power won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD TV LN32A330 power won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV LN32A3301DXZA has power but will not turn on
by NeoSoul Bohemian / April 7, 2010 6:36 PM PDT

I am experiencing the same thing. The red light stays on as if in Stand By but will not turn on directly or by remote. I have tried everything. My tv is not quite even a year old. I have not been able to get any help. I put in a service request and no one has called me back in the time they said they would.

Collapse -
Mine just got fixed
by kristinco / April 16, 2010 11:22 AM PDT

I had the exact same problem with the exact same tv. Took it to a local repairman. It is the capacitors that have gone bad. My tv was out of warrenty but I called Samsung, told them what the problem was and that it is reported all over the internet. They said they had a new policy for the capacitors and would do a free one time fix. The repair man came the other day, switched out the entire power supply board and reset the TV. Problem fixed with no cost to me. You can do this yourself pretty easily, you just have to be sure to reset the TV if it doesn't work after you put in the new board. Unfortunately I don't know how to do the reset, but I saw a thread about it on cnet. But call Samsung first and complain, mention the bad capacitors and you should be able to get it fixed. Good luck!

Collapse -
Mine is doing the same thing
by cdcotton3030 / May 8, 2010 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Mine just got fixed

Mine is only about 18 months old and is not used that much.

Collapse -
Same thing here.
by marqius / August 21, 2010 7:04 AM PDT

I went to SAMSUNG's website for answers they didn't have an answer to solve the problem, as far as I am concerned people should stop buying SAMSUNG's until they give an answer to fix such problems.

Collapse -
Usually it is single capacitor on the power supply board.
by Kramhoff / March 27, 2011 1:52 PM PDT

If you replace the 2200uf 10 volt capacitor on the power supply board, this will probably fix the problem. This part costs about two bucks at someplace like Radio Shack, and needs to be soldered into place correctly.

Collapse -
Also look for FAT Capacitors.
by Kramhoff / March 27, 2011 2:04 PM PDT

Replace all capacitors on the Power Supply Board that are bulged out (fat) on top.

This is a common problem on computer motherboards as well. It is usually caused by elevated temperature inside the capacitor, produced by overvoltage, overcurrent or too much heat being radiated near the capacitor in question, causing it to fail internally.

Sometimes these small capacitors have a manufacturing defect that causes them to get fat and fail prematurely. ..... Kind of like people who get too fat Happy

Collapse -
capacitors
by AdamJP15 / June 12, 2012 7:05 AM PDT

i just had all of the capacitors fixed by samsung for free, the lcd worked for three days. now while the tv is on the video just goes black, you can still hear the audio, but no video. so i turned the tv off overnight, and when i turned it back on it was working fine again, then five mins later it went black again. any ideas on what this may be.???

Collapse -
Please don't spam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2012 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: capacitors

I see you posted this already. If you spam the forums you slow down any responses.

If you really want a good reply, MAKE A NEW POST and don't bury your questions in old discussions.
Bob

Collapse -
TV does NOT switch on
by 44woodcroft / February 26, 2011 7:18 PM PST

Same problem, The TV takes about 20 mins to get a picture when switched on. I am going to call Samsung. Mention the faulty capacitors mentioned in the 17 letters here, and demand they fix it no charge. Let you all know what happens.

Collapse -
Never buy samsung again
by betzgallery / August 20, 2011 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: TV does NOT switch on

My samsung 32 inch had this problem and I called samsung and they verified that would fix it while putting a hold on my cc but that i had to pay to ship it. To ship it will cost $50-$75 to get it there safely, I am soooo mad. Let me know if anyone starts a class action suit , i am in

Collapse -
Be sure to not buy other makes with BAD CAPS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2011 7:25 AM PDT

I've seen bad caps in almost all makes now. It seems your litigation should target the company that made the bad parts.
Bob

Collapse -
samsung question
by rockee2003 / June 18, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

was yours under warranty? they want me to ship it to them in new jersey. at cost to me. but theyll fix it for free.
what size was your tv? mine is 32"

Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV LN32A330 Will not power up
by Tapmas / June 4, 2010 11:16 PM PDT

In reply to a previous poster who's TV went out on them, I have the same problem. After 22 months, it just stopped working. If you search consumer affairs, it seems as if there is a long line of folks with the same TV and same problem. I'll never buy a Samsung TV again. It is out of warranty and I won't spend the money to fix it. Might as well purchase a new one.

Collapse -
I solved the problem
by elsawong / June 28, 2010 3:32 PM PDT

We bought 1000uf 10V capacitors this morning in Electronics store, we replaced the old ones and the TV worked as before. I supposed to buy a new one instead of repairing it which Samsung would like to charge me at C$190.00. Why not buy another new and better brand one? So treated as toy and project, we did as the video, bravo, sucessful and we saved all the money we budgeted. We just paid only C$3.15 plus fuel charges on this project. Thanks for the video.

Collapse -
Video?
by rockee2003 / July 10, 2011 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I solved the problem

Where can i find this video with instructions? do you stil have the link?

Collapse -
It's over on Youtube BUT did you try for the free one time?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2011 6:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Video?

With Samsung performing many one time free repairs for the BAD CAPS (see google) why would we fix it ourselves unless there are other factors?
Bob

Collapse -
Power won't come on
by troubletv / July 24, 2010 10:38 PM PDT

Same problem here. Do you have name or number for the "new" policy by Samsung covering the
capacitor situation? Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV LN32A330 Power won't turn on
by Tapmas / July 26, 2010 8:33 PM PDT

The exact same thing happened to me after having the TV for only about 18 months. Although my warranty ran out, I found out I had purchased extra warranty with Walmart. Well worth it. I was sent the packing materials and shipping label and sent the TV in. It was returned immediately and the problem was fixed. Turned out it was the capacitator, a common problem with this TV. My TV is working, but if it were to break again, I definitely will not get another Samsung.

Collapse -
It's not just a Samsung issue
by risingphoenixdesign / July 28, 2010 11:30 AM PDT

Staying away from Samsung won't solve your problem. If you search the web for this problem, it comes up all over the place. The problem is the use of a cheap capacitor to keep costs down. If you want to spend $400-900 on a new LCD TV, by all means do so, but I just had my capacitor replaced and the tech said it's a much higher quality and should last at least three years. Luckily, I was still under warranty, but I asked him how much it would have cost if I weren't and he said about $130 for parts and labor. Even replacing the entire power board would be less than $180 and as long as you still have a good picture, that's a pretty good deal, and there is no guarantee that your new set won't have the same problem a year down the road, regardless of the brand. I think Samsung dealt with the issue wisely with the free one time fix, out of warranty. I don't know of any other manufacturer doing that.

Collapse -
Called Samsung and they wanted $125 hold on CC
by markcollins10 / November 11, 2010 4:34 AM PST

Called Samsung they told me my serial number qualified for a free repair and then transferred me to and they wanted $125 hold on my credit card and $50 of it is for evaluation. And I have to ship it to them at my expense because it is a 32 inch. I say Bull Shi* they made the mistake and I have to pay for it. $15 worth of parts I will fix it myself.

Collapse -
Fix your Samsung TV easy
by leaper1988gs / August 28, 2010 6:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Same problem with LN26a450
by Truthseeker1966 / September 3, 2010 9:33 AM PDT

I bought this TV expressly for watching the occasional movie via computer and for the Marantz stereo settings screen interface, nothing more......no DVD's, no cable, no satellite, just computer movies.
Lovely picture, zero fuss for 18 months until 6 months out of warranty.

Watching a movie one night and just turned off 1/2 way through and never turned on again.
Did some research online and all pointed to bad cap's.
Took the back of the tv off (very well layed out design I must admit) and saw no blown power supply caps, even though I hear that does not mean they are still good.

I did a little deeper search and found a number to call Samsung (800-522-7341) and talked to a nice woman in South Carolina who is sending me a warranty transition # and prepaid mailing slip to their repair facility in NJ where I presume they will make things right.
Probably just involves 10 minutes to take the back off and swap out the power supply board.
The innards of the TV are clean, simple and very well laid out and I was prepared to launch in to repairs of my own until I called that number and she ran the model and serial number.

It's a shame that Samsung TV's have so many of the same problems because they have a really beautiful picture quality and modern HDMI, TOSLINK and RS-232 PC video inputs that make them very appealing for the home theatre crowd.

I just wish, for the minimal expense to beef up a few critical components within the unit, they could have a trouble free product that people will tell their friends about and sales skyrocket.
(Please take that back to corporate Mr. Samsung HD guy if you are listening).

Being one of the 20 million unemployed in America, NOW was NOT the time I ever wanted to buy a new TV to watch my movies from time to time, especially when the unit is virtually brand new.

That being said, I also have a 23 inch Samsung SyncMaster 2333 computer monitor that looks great and has given zero problems (fingers crossed).

Collapse -
got mine fixed today
by limjoa69 / September 23, 2010 8:22 AM PDT

I had the same problem with mine and called Samsung after reading this thread. Apparently they are aware of the problem and directed me to an authorized service center in my area. Got it fixed today and it took 15 minutes to diagnose and fix the problem...TV is working great and looks a good as ever.

I have 2 other Samsung's including a 55" LED that looks phenomenal! I'm extremely happy that they owned up to the problem and took care it. Will definitely be buying other Samsung products in the future.

Collapse -
Samsung LN32A330 will not turn on.
by PC1020 / October 4, 2010 9:43 AM PDT

The same exact think just happened to me today. It's two years old. I took it to Best Buy but the Geek Squad only suggested shipping it off for repair (about $300 including shipping). I am going to take it to a local guy tomorrow. As soon as I know what it is I'll let you know. If you could do the same I'd appreciate it.

Paul

Collapse -
Service Response From SAMSUNG...
by Justadude74 / November 15, 2010 10:45 AM PST

First Time Poster....So, you here goes:

After reading the comments, I decided to track down Samsung. I have had the TV over two years and was just about to rip the thing apart or throw it out the window, but instead I remembered all those stress management techniques I learned in college and decided to text Samsung Support. The following is the conversation:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Richard'
Richard: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Hello Richard
Richard: Please go ahead with the enquiry.
Visitor: My TV will not come on...The light stays red, but neither the controller or the power button will activate the television
Richard: Could you please provide the model number of the product?
Visitor: Model #: LN32A330J1XZP
Richard: Have you tried connecting the unit directly to the power wall outlet?
Visitor: yes
Richard: Could you please provide the serial number of the product?
Visitor: sure hold please
Richard: Okay, I will wait.
Visitor: ***************
Richard: Please re check with the serial number of the product.
Visitor: ****************
Visitor: SORRY
Richard: Thank you for the information.
Visitor: ***************
Visitor: It is registered....
Richard: Okay, It appears that something else inside the TV might be causing the problem and it needs to be serviced.
Richard: But nothing to worry.
Richard: Samsung has decided to cover the repair for a few TVs with power issues in case-to-case basis.
Visitor: That is great!!
Visitor: What should I do?
Richard: We recommend you contact the Customer Support Department to file the service request for the unit.
Richard: Our Customer Care department can be reached at 1-800-SAMSUNG (726-7864) Timings: Mon ? Sun : 9am ? 9pm (EST).
Visitor: Is this serial number covered?
Visitor: Hello?
Richard: Yes, you can call our customer support and file a service request.
Richard: You will get a one time free of cost service repair.
Visitor: Great Thanks!
Visitor: I'll call them in the morning....

Hope this helps....

Collapse -
Fixed Now...
by Justadude74 / December 3, 2010 9:31 PM PST

Just wanted to report that I dropped of my Samsung for the (complimentary) service repairs and the issue was 5 capacitors that had to be replaced...

TV was returned in less than two weeks and works as good as before.

Total cost was just gas money to drop it off...Maybe I'll call Samsung and ask for that back too : )

VERY happy with Samsung's admission and resolution to the problem.

Hope this helps...

Collapse -
Can get it fixed at authorized dealer in your area
by nebrhahe53 / March 18, 2011 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed Now...

My wife had a great idea-after Samsung wanted me to ship the TV back for service-we would have to at least pay for insurance-she asked if Samsung had an authorized dealer in the area. Turned out they did and made arrangements to hae the TV fixed there-delivered it at 10AM, picked it up the same day at 5pm. No charge, capacitors fixed. Samsung will not tell you about this option unless you ask. You need to get a business partner # of the authorized dealer, then call 1-800SAMSUNG to have them set up the repair.

Collapse -
HELP!!
by prettyPO / April 13, 2011 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed Now...

I have this same problem, with the exact same tv. I called Samsung today and they just pissed me off even more. The "supervisor" tells me that I have to send my tv in to get serviced because of their "policy". He said any tv 32" or less NEEDS to be sent in to get serviced. The problem is that I live in Hawaii...they want me to send a 32" tv to New Jersey! WTH! I'm at my wits end! Could you help me by giving me some info on how you got yours serviced in your area? I was online while talking to him and I told him everything I read on the forum, but he said he can't go around the policy to authorize someone in my area. Help please! Thanks!

Collapse -
Please top post this with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2011 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: HELP!!

Be sure to make your own new post (now be nice) and add your TRANSACTION number so it can be escalated if it can be.

Collapse -
Help
by Kramhoff / April 13, 2011 12:31 PM PDT
In reply to: HELP!!

Read all the posts here on this subject. I think you might see a good course of action that will not require your shipping the TV anywhere.
Actually, if you can remove the power supply board and send just that, it would not cost much at all. The power supply board is about the size of an ipad, and would easily fit into a flat rate priority mail box.
It takes just a phillips screwdriver to remove the power supply board, but you still have to be knowledgeable enough to do this type of thing. You have to remove the back of the TV, then you will see the power supply board mounted near the middle, just to the left of the board that has all the i/o connectors. The likely problem on the board is a single 2200 uf @10 volt capacitor. If it is bulged out on top, it's probably bad. It's a small little thing, about the size of a 9mm pistol cartridge. If you see any other capacitors on the board that are bulged out, you should replace those also. But ususually I have found the single 2200 uf capacitor to be the problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.