Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD TV Has Flickering Horizontal Lines (Pic Inside)

by Hiway49 / May 31, 2010 3:43 AM PDT

Hi everyone, I have a Samsung LNT-4069 LCD TV that I purchased in January 2008. I'm having an issue with it now that appeared recently and I figured I'd ask the experts here about it. It is, of course, out of warranty. However, there's no way a TV like this should fail so fast, it's only been 2 1/2 years.

Basically I?m sort of freaking out because my set has developed these transparent, dark, thick, flickering horizontal bands. I can turn the set on and sometimes they won?t be there, but eventually they come back. Usually there are 2-3 of these bands viewable on the set at any given time. Last night, the 4th band came on and then they all disappeared and the picture was fine again. I have checked to see if it is input related and it is not, the horizontal bands appear across all inputs. I have removed all inputs and the horizontal bands stay. I bring up the graphic menu display on the TV itself (the internal Samsung menu) and the bars are still there distorting the menu. This would suggest the issue lies within the TV.

Here is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about:

http://www.monroeworld.com/forums/showthread.php?17982-I-think-my-Samsung-4069-is-in-trouble....any-advice

Based on your expert experience, what could this possibly be? And what is the cost of repairing something like this? Oddly enough, it's been perfectly fine for the last several days. On occasion, the lines will be there when the TV powers on, but the longer it's on the lines disappear and the picture looks great.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD TV Has Flickering Horizontal Lines (Pic Inside)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD TV Has Flickering Horizontal Lines (Pic Inside)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This issue is not exclusive to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2010 3:55 AM PDT

HDTV or any particular maker. If you google BAD CAPS and read enough and research this you find out the cause and that these parts tend to work fine after they warm up. I almost hesitate to write folk about this because they tend to take it out on me or the wrong companies and not how this all came to be.

Repair can run the gamut from cheap to as much as a new set depending on if you are the DIY type with a hot solder iron or the owner that can't ID a philips from a hammer.

Again, all apologies in advance if I offend anyone.
Bob

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / June 1, 2010 7:54 AM PDT

Hiway49,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue.

I can't offer up what a repair might cost - that would likely depend on what a tech deems is wrong with the unit. While I can't diagnose what the problem might be, if I had to make a wild guess, I'd submit that it could be that one of the boards in the TV is causing the problem. That said, don't go out and buy one based on that, since I'm not sure enough to suggest that you spend your money on my whimsical guess.

I would recommend having a tech come out and take a look at the unit. I can't speak to what that costs - you'd have to call 800-SAMSUNG, have them assign you a service tech in your region, and then get in contact with them on the price of an out of warranty repair.

--HDTech

Collapse -
I am having the exact same issue with my 46 inch Samsung LCD
by JDEKZ / October 26, 2011 11:39 AM PDT

Same issue. Horizontal lines and shadows upon startup. Goes away after 15-20 min, and then it is fine for a while. It will occasionally come back. Any fixes our there? Will replacing capacitors do anything for this? Thx!!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 27, 2011 5:09 AM PDT

JDEKZ -

Collapse -
46 inch lines
by ewphillips15 / October 30, 2011 1:28 AM PDT

I had my capacitors replaced last year because the screen wouldn't come on at all. Now I have the flickering lines. I would say capacitors wouldn't help this new issue only because mine are just a year old. Could be wron though....

Collapse -
tv
by shaners316 / November 17, 2011 8:56 PM PST

im having the same issue,same tv bought it same time,

Collapse -
Same issue
by eblandry / November 27, 2011 11:14 PM PST
In reply to: tv

I bought my Samsung TV around the same time and it started having the same issue a year and a half later. Now the lines have become very problematic. I called Samsung in 2010 and recently. The response both times was that it is out of warranty and they will not help at all even though this appears to be systematic. I am now trying to decide if it is worth repairing. Most expensive television I have ever purchased and the worst.

Collapse -
Service Thread
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 28, 2011 7:38 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue

Try reaching out to the Samsung customer service center with the Service Thread here:

Collapse -
Thanks for getting back to me
by eblandry / November 29, 2011 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Service Thread

I will try it and let you know. Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung LN46C650L1FXZA
by ted2011 / December 3, 2011 3:59 AM PST
In reply to: Same issue

I have a similar problem of screen flickering. I first thought it was the cable, because I have serveral Sony TVs and they never give me any problesm, but I was wrong. When I play video, or Wii, the flickering is still there. The problem started sereral weeks ago, and they were and still are intermitant. Now it is getting worse. I had online chat with Arnold, a Sumsung technician two days ago. Arnold helped me reset the TV, but the it did not solve the problem. I bought this TV last May and it is out of warranty from Samsung. I was given a service ticket, and a local repair shop was supposed to call me, but they did not call me. I then called the repair shop (Samsung authorized outfit) to make an appointment. Someone is going to come and will charge for $75 just to look at it. I do not use the TV very much, and something already goes wrong less than 18 months. This might be the standard of Sumsung TV. It might very mean that either I got a lemon, or the quality of Sumsung TV is questionable at the best. I will keep you guys informed after the repairman's service call next week.

Collapse -
horizontal bands flickering left 2/3rds
by wymanrd / December 1, 2011 10:16 AM PST

We have an LNT4069FX40 purchased in May 2008 and am having the same problems, four wide horizontal bars extending from the left edge across 2/3rds of the screen, flickering and it looks like only 2/3rd of the color is working on the left 2/3 of the screen, with blurring and a darker image on the left. The right 1/3 of the screen is fine. For three months the condition would go away after 20 minutes of warm up time, exactly 20 minutes not 19 or 21. It was this way on every start up. Now the condition persists and seems to be permanent.

Collapse -
Horizontal Bands Flickering
by rocket3flyer / December 3, 2011 3:15 AM PST

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><font size="3"><font face="Calibri">We purchased a Samsung<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> 52" LCD television several years ago - Model LNT5271FX/XAA. Samsung
recently provided warranty repair for the bad capacitor issue. More recently,
the horizontal banding issue with flickering presented itself predominately on
the left side of the screen. We reviewed the posts in the CNET forums regarding
the issue, but like everyone else have not found a resolution.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> <?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p></font></font>
</font><font size="3"><font face="Calibri">A technician advised he believed the issue was a bad LCD
panel assembly.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> He further advised
unless the unit is cover under extended warranty, it is always not economical
to replace the panel.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> He estimated the
cost to replace the panel to be approximately $750.00 in Parts + Tax + $80.00 S/H +
$160.00 Labor Charges for a total of $1,048.13 plus tax.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Needless to say, we were also dismayed that essentially a brand new
television set had the capacitor issue and now the banding issue.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> It appears Samsung is aware of the banding
issue, but has failed to take any corrective action and left the consumer carry
the burden of having the issue repaired or having the set replaced due to what
is obviously a Samsung manufacturing issue. </font></font>
<font face="Calibri"><o:p><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font><font size="3">Some research suggests the average lifespan of an LCD
display is 60,000 hours.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> If you watched television
24 hours a day, it would take you almost 7 years to wear out your LCD display.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> With more normal viewing habits of 8 hours
per day, you can extend the lifespan of the LCD television to a decade or more out
too as much as 20 years. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> The various
articles go on to say that purchasing a higher quality product from a reputable
manufacture, which Samsung represents itself as, will ensure a longer
lifespan.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> Unfortunately, this does not
appear to be the fact given the various issues involving Samsung televisions.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"> <o:p></o:p></font>
</font></o:p></font>
</font>

Collapse -
Samsung LCD Banding and Flickering Issues
by rocket3flyer / December 3, 2011 3:43 AM PST

We purchased a Samsung 52" LCD television several years ago - Model LNT5271FX/XAA. Samsung recently provided warranty repair for the bad capacitor issue. More recently, the horizontal banding issue with flickering presented itself predominately on the left side of the screen. We reviewed the posts in the CNET forumsregarding the issue, but like everyone else have not found a resolution.
A technician advised he believed the issue was a bad LCD panel assembly. He further advised unless the unit is covered under an extended warranty, it is not always economical to replace the panel. He estimated the cost to replace the panel to be approximately $750.00 in Parts plus Tax + $80.00 Shipping and Handling + $160.00 in Labor Charges for a total in excess of $1,048.13. Needless to say, we were also dismayed that essentially a new television set had the capacitor issue and now the banding issue. It appears Samsung is aware of the banding issue, but has failed to take any corrective action and left the consumer to carry the burden of having the issue repaired or having the television replaced due to what is obviously a Samsung manufacturing issue.
Some research suggests the average lifespan of an LCD display is approximately 60,000 hours. If you watched television 24 hours a day, it would take almost 7 years to wear out the LCD display. With more normal viewing habits of 8 hours a day, you can extend the lifespan of the LCD display to a decade or more out to 20 years. The various articles go on to say that purchasing a higher quality product from a reputable manufacture, which Samsung represents itself as, will ensure a longer product lifespan. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case with Samsung televisions given the various Samung television issues.

Collapse -
You might very well have pointed out the weakest link
by ted2011 / December 3, 2011 4:11 AM PST

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I believe that I have a similar issue. It is obviously a manufacturing issue. Let us investigate this issue. It will help Samsung and will help the consumers. Hope that Samsung will appreciate it. I alwasy thought Samsung had quality products. That is why I bought their TV, Blue Ray DVD and Galaxy cell phone. I hope that I was not wrong.

Collapse -
Samsung LCD Horizontal Banding with Flickering Issue
by rocket3flyer / December 3, 2011 4:01 AM PST

We purchased a Samsung 52" LCD television several years ago - Model LNT5271FX/XAA. Samsung recently provided warranty repair for the bad capacitor issue. More recently, the horizontal banding issue with flickering presented itself predominately on the left side of the screen. We reviewed the posts in the CNET forumsregarding the issue, but like everyone else have not found a resolution.
A technician advised he believed the issue was a bad LCD panel assembly. He further advised unless the unit is covered under an extended warranty, it is not always economical to replace the panel. He estimated the cost to replace the panel to be approximately $750.00 in Parts plus Tax + $80.00 Shipping and Handling + $160.00 in Labor Charges for a total in excess of $1,048.13. Needless to say, we were also dismayed that essentially a new television set had the capacitor issue and now the banding issue. It appears Samsung is aware of the banding issue, but has failed to take any corrective action and left the consumer to carry the burden of having the issue repaired or having the television replaced due to what is obviously a Samsung manufacturing issue.
Some research suggests the average lifespan of an LCD display is approximately 60,000 hours. If you watched television 24 hours a day, it would take almost 7 years to wear out the LCD display. With more normal viewing habits of 8 hours a day, you can extend the lifespan of the LCD display to a decade or more out to 20 years. The various articles go on to say that purchasing a higher quality product from a reputable manufacture, which Samsung represents itself as, will ensure a longer product lifespan. Unfortunately, this does not appear to be the case with Samsung televisions given the various Samung television issues.

Collapse -
Thanks for sharing your issue with us
by ted2011 / December 3, 2011 4:36 AM PST

I am facing a similar issue. I am working on it and will also update you guys regarding the process and progress. Please keep us updated regarding Samsung's response to you. Thanks,
Ted2011

Collapse -
Horizontal banks flickering left 2/3rds
by wymanrd / December 3, 2011 9:53 AM PST

We have not received any further response from Samsung to date despite several inquiries. I have been talking to everyone I know about this over the last couple of days and I have found two more people that have had a similar problem with a Samsung flat screen but have not done anything about it. I wonder how prevalent this is and maybe the 2008 batch is now starting to fail in larger numbers.

Collapse -
flickering causes by faulty power supply.
by ted2011 / December 8, 2011 6:38 AM PST

Today, a technician from TVunlimited came and looked at the problem. It took five minutes for him to find out the cause of the problem. He said that it is the faulty power supply. It is common. He visited another customer yesterday who had the same problem. The charge is $75 for the first trip. I will receive a written estimate from his. He thinks it will be $300 for part and labor (most of that amount is labor). I believe it is Samsung's responsibility even it is out of warranty, for this faulty power supply. Samsung should have a recall, or pay for this problem, or give us credit for the next purchase to honor their reputation.

Collapse -
There's a new system in place for Service Issues. LINK!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2011 6:41 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.