Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD TV defaults to TV/coax input

by CleverTrousers / March 9, 2010 6:04 PM PST

I have a Samsung LN32B530. In browsing the manuals for other Samsung TVs, it seems like this behavior is consistent across their line...

Like many American consumers, I get my TV content from an HD cable box. It has an HDMI output, which is naturally connected to the TV's HDMI-1 port as the preferred interface for high-def video. We also have a Blu-ray player connected to the HDMI-2 port on the TV.

My problems are:

1.) When I turn off the Blu-ray, the input either stays on HDMI-2 (if HDMI-CEC/"AnyNet+" is disabled) or switches to the TV/coax input and displays static (if HDMI-CEC is enabled). There is no cable attached to the antenna/cable input, and of course, "TV" was not the input in use prior to switching the Blu-ray on. I would think it sensible to either go back to the last-used input or let the user define a default input. Alternatively, being able to disable unused inputs might accomplish my goal, switching back to HDMI-1.

2.) The timer function - which I would like to use when away for several days to make it appear my house is occupied - lets you select which channel number the TV turns onto at the specified time - but *only* a TV channel, not the HDMI input (which is what my cable box is connected to).

It seems bizarre to me that such a successful TV manufacturer has overlooked the dominance of HDMI inputs in 2010. My 12 year-old Sony had a timer that could turn on to selected input. Am I overlooking some setting on the Samsung?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD TV defaults to TV/coax input
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD TV defaults to TV/coax input
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Samsung LCD TV defaults to TV/coax input
by kingwr / July 25, 2010 11:49 PM PDT

There are several threads re. this issue. Seeing that many (if not most) Samsung flat panels don't support cable-card, I doubt if more than a small percentage of U.S. users are using the coaxial input on their TV. Most satellite and cable users use the HDMI input. Why will Samsung not provide a fix for the U.S. flat panel products (I have UN55C8000) to allow the default to be HDMI 1? This is very frustrating! Come on Samsung, implement a fix!

Collapse -
really disappointed there is no fix for this.
by dexter01915 / July 26, 2010 4:18 AM PDT

I just bought a UN55C7000 and I can't believe Samsung has not addressed this issue yet. I searched the web and found complaints going back years on many models. Give us the ability to mark the coax and PC inputs as "skip" or allow us to set the default. It's 2010, what % of your customers do you really think are using the Coax as their default input?!

I was trying to make it as easy as possible for my wife & kids to switch between Cable(HDMI1) & Blu-Ray. With anynet enabled, turn on the BD player and it switches to that.. Great! But when I shut the BD player off, it switches to the Coax input?! Seriously? Switch to the last input, or let us choose the default. Defaulting to Coax is just silly.

Collapse -
Not wife friendly
by mitch102 / July 28, 2010 1:02 AM PDT

I would love to see this addressed as I have this same issue with my UN46C7000.

Makes the Wife approval factor very low.

Collapse -
Still an issue a year later
by tetractys4 / July 30, 2011 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Not wife friendly

Just bought a new Samsung TV at Best Buy. Turning off the blu-ray, it defaults to the empty coax and gives me snow. I have to hunt the remote, find the "Source" button, and change to HDMI1. Look at the date of this post, and this will give you some clue as to the pervasiveness of this engineering FAIL on the part of the Koreans.

Collapse -
Not an issue. Just undocumented.
by dalevamos / June 11, 2012 7:46 PM PDT

Just press the "Tools" button on the remote while on the source selection menu and you can pick a name, and choose your favourite inputs from there. Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.