Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD LNS5296D will not power-up.

by besito27 / February 28, 2009 11:36 PM PST

Samsung model LNS5296DX/XAA Version SP01. Purchased January 2007. Unit will not power-up using any means (direct or remote). Ocurred one other time but eventually was able to power the unit using the remote. Currently, the blue stand-by light is lit, but television will not power-up. Tried unplugging for different lengths of time. Still NG. Pulled back cover to notice several small fuses within power board but unfamiliar with electronics and not equipped to troubleshoot. TV is 2 years old and had no other issues since purchase from Suggestions beyond the usual repair call? How has Samsung handled this problem as it appears others have experienced similar issues? Samsung should honor warranty if some type of manufacturing defect has been identified. Thanks for your help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD LNS5296D will not power-up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD LNS5296D will not power-up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
power up
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2009 12:23 PM PST

There's not a known issue I'm aware of, but you can call the service line to see if they know of anything. 800-SAMSUNG.

Collapse -
Similar Issues on failed power-up previously posted
by besito27 / March 1, 2009 1:14 PM PST
In reply to: power up

TV won't turn on
by wild4trout - 11/22/08 12:21 PM

I have the Samsung FP-T5084 50" Plasma tv. I went to turn it on the other day, and it wouldn't turn on. No clicking. No red power indicator light. Nothing. It was plugged into a power strip with other components, and they all work fine. I unplugged it for a while and then plugged it into a different outlet on the power bar, but it still won't turn on.

Power Cord
by wild4trout - 11/22/08 8:26 PM In reply to: Power Cord by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff

Yes, I disonnected, and reconnected the power cord in the back of the TV. I also removed the plug from the outlet it was in, and plugged it into the other outlets on the power strip that are working for the other components. But the TV still won't turn on.

Power Supply?
by dkn5 - 1/29/09 1:49 PM In reply to: Power Supply by wild4trout

Hi, I have the same TV with the identical problem. Just happened this morning. Do you have an update as to what your problem turned out to be or the solution??

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 1, 2009 1:27 PM PST

You have the same problem as that post?

It's possible that two televisions can experience the same symptom without it being a "known issue". That said, we can repair it (free of charge within warranty) through our service center.

Collapse -
Same issue
by ahelms10 / March 20, 2009 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Confused...

I have a Samsung LN-S5296D 52" 1080p High definition LCD TV and I am facing the same issue.

When I first tried turning on the TV today the blue light was on, but the TV would not come on. After calling Samsung and following directions (unplug, try different outlet), the blue light went out and has not come back on and the TV still will not power on. Samsung referred me to a company whose phone rings busy.

Collapse -
Good 'ol customer service!
by BoiseLCD / March 20, 2009 8:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

Have you ever wondered how many times these people have actually been helpful to someone calling in with a broken device. They act like it's not common place for these things to die. Unfortuanatly with todays standards and mass production shorcuts, electronics drop like flies!

So why the whole rediculous routine of:

Why do we have to go to sites like this or or (plug) to get information on how to fix THEIR defective goods? The least they could do is maintain an open knowledge base for the support of their garbage when it dies on the day after the warranty expired. But instead we get to call up a bunch of clowns who are probably laughing at us as we do tricks for them.

Now that I'm done whining, let's get to your TV. Unfortunately I don't have any past experience with this model, but I can tell you if you leave it unplugged from the wall for a while, you'll probably get it back to the blue LED light flashing when you plug it in again. Not that that's helpful to you.

So let me ask, is it an LCD panel TV, or LCD projected?

IE. if you lightly ran your fingers across the screen when it worked, did it look like the image was water under your finger tips?

I only ask because the two types of TV's have totally different types of guts inside them.

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature ad link which is prohibited in these forums.

Collapse -
LCD Panel
by ahelms10 / March 20, 2009 8:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
by ahelms10 / March 20, 2009 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: LCD Panel

the blue light did turn on after I plugged the tv back in after about 30 min

Collapse -
Samsung LCD LNS5296D will not power-up.
by besito27 / March 23, 2009 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: also,

To make a long story short, Samsung has installed low quality/under voltage capacitors on several of their Power Supply Boards, leading to the no power issue experienced with the TV's. This to save a few pennies on a TV selling for thousands. I purchased mine in 2007. Samsung will not acknowledge this and only asks the infamous "did you purchase an extended warranty" question when asked about repair criteria. I replaced 5 blown capacitors on the power supply board and the TV has worked fine ever since. Samsung, please acknowledge their's a problem, and maybe we'll forgive you. This fact is posted on several sites throughout the internet.

Collapse -
by ahelms10 / March 23, 2009 5:18 AM PDT

The tech who fixed my television told me the same. He replaced 5 capacitors on the power supply with higher voltage capacitors (16) and all is well. Total cost was $290.

I probably won't go to the trouble of complaining to Samsung but it is unlikely to get my business again.

Collapse -
ATTN: BoiseLCD...
by John.Wilkinson / April 24, 2009 1:26 AM PDT

Numerous posts of yours have been deleted as violations of the Cnet forum policies. These include three pure, blatant advertisements for your own business, five other replies that included prohibited links to your own business, and three posts that were insulting to Mr. Samsung. Such prohibited content will be deleted on sight, without warning. You are more than welcome to assist other members, but only in a courteous fashion and only for their benefit, not your own financial benefit.

Collapse -
Oh my. What a surprise! You've taken the side of Mr Samsung.
by BoiseLCD / April 24, 2009 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: ATTN: BoiseLCD...

My posts were purely my opinions; and I stated them freely because I believe in freedom of speech.

Did I use profanity? Did I insult anyone on a personal level?
I was simply trying to get these people to wake up and resolve these issues. And if Samsung is insulted by what I said, they need to correct the issue and start taking care of their customers, not stiffle their voices.

I will be heard.

I'm going to post this entire thing everywhere I can. Let people see how you and Samsung handle issues.

I suggest you leave the content alone. I will edit anything you deem inappropriate. This issue needs to stay out on the table. To just simply delete everything is not right.

And If you want me to provide people with repair advice on your web site, why can't I post a link back to my own? You make it sound like I have evil intentions by trying to spread the word about my services. Of course I want to get my name out there. Why not?

Collapse -
No, I took Cnet's side...

If you had read the forum policies and Cnet TOS, you would have known blatant advertising was prohibited, but either you never read them or made the conscious decision to violate them. In fact, in 4 of your 10 posts, you never offered to help the individuals here in the forums, instead telling the people asking for help that "You can purchase my repair service on my web site, <filtered>, for $40." These forums are about helping others because they need help, without expecting something in return for your 'generosity.' If you care about helping others, then help, but if you want free ad space you have come to the wrong place.

Also, you are free to share your opinions, but do so without the sarcastic, derogatory comments. As Samsund_HD_Tech replied to you previously, those "references are counterproductive to the actual problems we're are solving here." As a professional in the same industry, you know that problems are best addressed by the presentation of evidence and proactive suggestions, not insinuations and ridicule. Showing the same respect you would expect be shown to you goes a long way.

Collapse -
by BoiseLCD / April 24, 2009 9:14 AM PDT

I apologize for my sharp tongue. You're right, it won't help being sarcastic or ill tempered. I forget that sometimes.
(But it sure is fun!)

And I guess there's no sense in even complaining about my prior experiences with customer support. Even if I were to convince someone that there are way too many unsatisfied consumers out there today, what could be done about it? It's not up to any one person to change it. One person can't change it. We can only do our own part in making things a little better. Whining about the past won't help.

The world will turn, circuits will burn, and people will learn.

I'll just let things be.

Message was edited by: admin to remove sig. I know your sig is intended to be a joke, but it actually goes to a site that is improper for these forums.

Collapse -
Another LN-S5296 that won't power up
by wkothman / April 25, 2009 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

Our 2+ yr old LN-S5296D also decided to retire prematurely. Blue light stays on steady, no response to power button on TV or remote. Tried the unplug trick without success. Was previously a bit flaky about powering on. I am an electronics rep in an unrelated industry - first words we learn are "You're the only one, never seen that before". i.e. don't admit liability. Fat chance Samsung will fess up even if they are aware of it. By the way way, we have two other Samsung LCD TVs which work great - a 32 and a 46.

Collapse -
Do it yourself
by Tebos251 / May 2, 2009 6:25 AM PDT

I pulled the back off my LN-s5296 to check the power supply board. Just follow the power input lines and its located on the lower left of TV...u have to take off another cover but not an issue. I had read about some capacitors being blown and was going to check it out for myself. Wouldnt you know it...there were 5 blown caps....u can see the tops of them bulged out with some black crap seeped out. Unpluged some cables and unscrewed the board. Fired up sodering iron and took off all 5 caps these where the 1000uF mentioned by other people. Im of to buy some Caps and will post if it was successful.

Collapse -
Do it your self.....SUCCESS
by Tebos251 / May 2, 2009 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Do it yourself

OK, I sodered the 5 caps I took out and powered up my set. There was a "click"..."clack...and then the most beautiful sound...toodoodoo =). Put everything back together and stuck it back on my wall. It has been running for about 3hrs now with no problems. The total cost of this was 1.59 x 5 = $7.95 =). I even snagged a few extra caps just in case. **DISCLAIMER**
I got this set in jan of 07 so my factory waranty was done and did not purchase any extended waranty. I am almost done with my BS in Computer Engineering and felt comfortable doing this. If you are not comfortable doing this take it to repair shop or if still under waranty have them do it. This was not very difficult and can be done rather easy. Hope this helps some folks out...and if anything, explosion, ect...I'll let you know.

Collapse -
Good job!
by BoiseLCD / May 2, 2009 9:13 PM PDT

This is a very common problem in LCD's today. And not just with Samsung product. All LCD's have this issue.

Could someone with Samsung please explain to us why capacitors fail so often? And what steps have been taken to cure this problem?

Can we expect this issue with product being made today?

Collapse -
clicking clicking clicking Samsung LN46A540P2FXZA - 46'' LCD
by Larry Jacobsen / December 9, 2009 4:58 AM PST

Hello and thanks to all...
We have a Samsung 46'' (Model LN46A540P2FXZA) which is 18 months old. Last week it began shutting itself off, and then on attempting to turn it on, it began the infamous ''click-click-click" till unplugged.

Saw the posts on several forums and concluded that faulty capacitors were likely our issue as well. Tried to hire someone to work on it and they were unavailable, and after watching the also famous 2 part video on YouTube, decided to wade into this myself with a friend. Collected only 3 1000uf 35 volt capacitors (all there were in town between our Radio Shack stores) thinking I'd likely need 4 to change them all out on the board (my intention).

However upon opening the TV and inspecting the board, there are only 2 of the 1000uf 10V capacitors on the board, and both were bulged. My friend and I desoldered (would buy solder-wick next time) and replaced both, reassembled the TV all in under an hour.

Fired it up and it works as if new - and all the HDMI ports work as well.

The only reasons I posted were to say
If you have this model, you likely don't need 4 capacitors...

I stashed the extra capacitor affixed to our paperwork on the TV in our file cabinet where we store all our paperwork.

Easily do-able even without a lot of experience. We only had a 15/30 watt soldering wand, and if I were to do this again, I'd want a higher wattage unit and braided solder wick.

Thanks again...
L a r r Y

Collapse -
What stype of caps are needed.
by Malefena / October 8, 2012 7:38 AM PDT

Are they just 1000uf 10v thru hold caps? or are they surface mount?

Collapse -
Another Do It Yourself Success on Samsung LN-S5296D
by wkothman / May 9, 2009 5:07 PM PDT

After seeing how it was done on this forum, I too was able to replace the 1000 uf capacitors on the power supply board. My soldering skills were pretty rusty, but when I got done - ta da, the unit lit up and worked fine. Only 3 of the caps on my TV were obviously bad (bulging tops, black **** seeping out). The capacitors were only $1.59 each at Radio Shack, so I spent about $5 in parts, plus maybe a couple hours taking it apart and putting it back together. Beats paying several hundred for a service house call. If you have any soldering experience at all, this wasn't that hard.

Collapse -
by RichSC4 / July 6, 2009 12:21 PM PDT

My TV died on my this weekend and I started looking around online for some info and found this thread. I pulled it apart and sure enough the caps were blown. I went to a local place to get replacements ( and you can also get the caps online at that address for $.30. Replaced the caps and the TV turned on and is working fine. If you've got soldering experience and some electronics knowledge, take this route and save yourself some cash.

Collapse -
Samsung 5296d failure
by mikealexandros / August 10, 2009 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Mine too. It failed after less than 2-yrs. The authorized repair dealer confirmed it was the cap's in the power supply. They want $422 to fix it and they have to order the PSU. I'm an electronics eng., and so from what I've read, I may try to fix it myself. I already wrote to the president of Samsumg USA complaing about the poor reliability and asking them to cover the cost of the repair. No luck yet, but if anyone else wishes to do the same, the address is:

Samsung Electronics, USA
Office of the President
400 Valley Road, Suite 201
Mount Arlington, NJ 07856

Collapse -
wow ...
by amolkold / August 13, 2009 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung 5296d failure

This just happened to my LNS5296 this morning ... we bought it around Christmas-time 2006. It was working perfectly yesterday.

Someone has to bring all this to Samsung's attention ... I've seen at least 50 people in forums/blogs complain about this exact same problem I'm having. It's very frustrating!

Collapse -
Another angry Samsung owner
by rugbyeightman / September 7, 2009 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: wow ...

Same boat gang...Purchased my LNS5296 in December 2006 and went to turn it on last sound greeting and the screen was black. Amazing what $3,700 will get you these days.

Collapse -
Another angry Samsung owner
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 8, 2009 5:14 PM PDT

If it was clicking, or attempting to turn on, we have a thread here addressing these issues, and offering a free inspection and repair, regardless of warranty status.;forum-threads

Feel free to participate. I'd like people to get helped, and if the symptoms listed there are what you're experiencing, I'd like to extend it to you and anyone else here having this issue.

Collapse -
Angry Samsung Owner.
by mrkuwait / July 26, 2011 12:45 AM PDT

I'm am very disappointed with my LCD as I have the same Power Issue and the local dealer for Samsung in Kuwait is asking me for 250$ to Fix. This is not fair when Samsung tech is saying on this site that "offering a free inspection and repair, regardless of warranty status. "

Collapse -
1000 ohm, not 100
by milligs / August 29, 2009 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: ...

Good info, but the link goes to 100 ohm caps, not the 1000 ohm required.

Collapse -
Website's Product Data Sheet was wrong, not your link...
by milligs / August 29, 2009 11:44 PM PDT
In reply to: 1000 ohm, not 100

My fault!

Collapse -
Samsung LN S5296DX/XAA will not Power up
by Mark7591 / September 13, 2009 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Confused...

I have seen what appears to be MY issue on CNET and other Forums. My Samsung LCD TV is 2.5 years old. One day a month ago the set would not turn on. The Blue light is lit but neither the manual on/off on the TV nor the remote power button will turn the set on. I have followed the quick user troubleshooting instructions given to me by Samsung and clearly there is no obvious user error. All the posts I see seem to say the same thing. Namely the capacitors on the power board were cheap and have blown out.

I have no idea if this is really what is wrong with mine but I was hoping that if this were the case that Samsung would help me out. I called the customer service and asked for a rep to call me. A week later a rep called me. I explained my situation. The rep was testy and had an unprofessional demeanor from the start. She told me that Samsung had never heard of such and issue, that my TV was out of warranty and that my only recourse was to get it fixed on my own. I asked if she would like to have the citations of the numerous forums and blogs where this issue was discussed to consider the matter further. She said that I could fax them in if I wanted to but that there was not going to be any further acknowledgment of this issue. I asked her if I could have an email address to forward the info. she said not she can't correspond that way. I asked for her name and she said she can't give it. I asked for an employee identification and all she would give me is "Susan". My demeanor was cordial. Hers was not. Frankly she did a lot of damage to the Samsung image on that call. If handled more respectfully and with more understanding --even with the same result-- I might have let it all go. Instead I was left feeling that Samsung makes disposable products that they will abandon responsibility for as soon as legally possible. The Mitsubishi and Sony TVs have purchased over the years have lasted 10 plus years without a penny spent after sale. To have the most expensive TV I have purchased blow out after 2+ years is very disappointing. I will take the TV to a Samsung Authorized Repair to get this fixed. But if it turns out to be the capacitors -- and I'm left holding the bag, this will be my last Samsung purchase and I will be back on-line to spread the word.

If any of you have any advice for me as to how to proceed I will be pleased to listen. By that I mean either practical advice on how to diagnose and repair this issue economically, or how to deal constructively with Samsung to get better satisfaction. I am a reasonable guy. Perhaps I don't have the right perspective on this matter, but at this point I am feeling that Samsung has not comported itself in a manner in keeping with a company I want to do business with again.

Collapse -
Samsung LN S5296DX/XAA will not Power up
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / September 16, 2009 12:29 PM PDT

I'm very sorry about your treatment.

If you believe you have an issue with the power supply that you listed below, I would recommend submitting your unit to the ON OFF discussion, pinned at the top of the thread.;forum-threads

We're here to help people, and if you're experiencing those symptoms, the good news is that we still have room for submissions, and I welcome you to do so.

I agree that you have been reasonable, and I appreciate you posting your experiences.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.