Samsung forum

Question

Samsung LCD -HBO GO -Directv - Not working?

by monkey194545 / February 27, 2012 9:47 PM PST

Hi all,
Maybe someone could help me:

The model in question is a LN40C560 that we have in our bedroom using a Samsung wireless usb dongle.

I installed the HBO Go app and logged in, verified the TV, etc.

My problem is, hardly any of the content will play. Things like stand-up and "behind the scenes" type stuff works but no movies or series (which is why anyone has HBO)

The error message I am getting states "Please Note,
We're sorry, video cannot be played at this time."

Any suggestions?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD -HBO GO -Directv - Not working?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD -HBO GO -Directv - Not working?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Samsung smartTv's HBOGo app not working(Cablevision/Optimum)
by wilmccann / December 29, 2012 5:48 AM PST

Same issue happens with Optimum (Cablevision).

Problem first occurred 6 months ago when i first downloaded the HBOGo application on my Samsung LN46C650 smartTv... since then, i've updated the application twice when new versions were available, and the same issue as described in the original thread occurs: I can only watch previews and Ratings, but as soon as a movie or tv show is about to play the error says "We're sorry, video cannot be played at this time."

Note: I see in "siejzak's" reply below that HBO has reached out to Samsung about this:
>>>by siejczak - 8/9/12 10:13 AM
>>>In Reply to: Samsung LCD -HBO GO -Directv - Not working? by monkey194545
>>>I have been in contact with HBO (contactHBOGO@hbo.com) here is their reply:
>>>"Thank you for your patience. We have escalated your issue to our technical team; however, at this time we do not have an estimated resolution date. We are aware of an issue with certain Samsung Smart TV's and are working with Samsung to resolve it. We will contact you as soon as we receive more information or if we have additional questions." (I decided to buy a Roku)
>>>

Fed up. How long will this fix take? When is Samsung (or ISPs?) going to fix this issue?!

Thanks,
IceManRider

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2012 12:33 AM PST

Just a few days ago on Crackle. It appears that such things are not without limitations or bugs. Since Samsung did not write the app or supply the content then it never is fixed by the TV maker.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung LCD -HBO GO -Directv - Not working?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 28, 2012 6:59 AM PST

monkey194545,

Hang in there or see if there's a reason certain shows aren't shown. Sometimes the initial launch of the Apps gives the App writers an idea of what to pay attention to. In other cases, HBO may not own the content, and may require permissions - like Netflix, Hulu, and other services - who also don't have "unlimited" license to stream every movie title.

The App just recently launched, too.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Answer
Any luck on an answer?
by jdorbish89 / May 15, 2012 1:05 PM PDT

I have a samsung tv and hbo go as well. Every single movie or tv show I've tried will play up until it tells you what rating the tv show you're about to watch is and then it says "We're sorry, video cannot be played at this time." Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Collapse -
CALL IT IN!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2012 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Any luck on an answer?

If folk are not calling in, Samsung may not be getting the message. Just a few days ago our host wrote about server issues.

We can't guess what's up but the more calls the louder the message.
Bob

Collapse -
Any luck on answer?
by gutupio / July 4, 2012 4:33 PM PDT

It's been about a month and half since you posted this. Is your HBO GO app working yet? I just activated the app on my Samsung TV and I get this message anytime I try to watch an episode or movie. All previews and excess content is accessible though. The service works fine on my XBOX and laptop though.

Collapse -
Same frustrating issue
by Dionisia10 / August 5, 2012 10:27 AM PDT

I'm having the same issue with my Samsung LCD and HBO Go App. Has anyone heard anything back?

Collapse -
Sadly yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2012 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Same frustrating issue
Collapse -
Sit and wait...
by Dionisia10 / August 6, 2012 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sadly yes.

So I guess there's nothing we can do until an update or patch is available? Which who knows how long that could take Sad

Collapse -
Call it in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Sit and wait...

If folk don't repeat it, no one knows it broke. There are ideas such as changing the DNS over in the CNET Networking forum sticky but given the story I can't write it will work. But you could try that along with other ideas like deleting the apps and letting it reload. Some apps you can do that.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Check for firmware updates too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2012 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Sit and wait...
Collapse -
Answer
HBOGO support reply
by siejczak / August 9, 2012 3:13 AM PDT

I have been in contact with HBO (contactHBOGO@hbo.com) here is their reply:

"Thank you for your patience. We have escalated your issue to our technical team; however, at this time we do not have an estimated resolution date. We are aware of an issue with certain Samsung Smart TV's and are working with Samsung to resolve it. We will contact you as soon as we receive more information or if we have additional questions."

(I decided to buy a Roku)

Collapse -
I gifted my Roku away.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2012 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: HBOGO support reply

It failed to get content so often that I thought it was a joke. A bad one. So I ordered up a Revue and that was much better. Not perfect but beat the Roku by miles. I am still wondering why the Roku is doing well but it might have a better Netflix app so folk may only see that performance.
Bob

Collapse -
Any updates
by omegas44 / October 13, 2012 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: I gifted my Roku away.

Has anyone heard if HBO has committed to provide an update. No idea if the problem is with Samsung or HBO as I have more success of getting all videos and movies to play compared to recent videos. And sometimes the video will not play and then a few days later the video works. The problem is inconsistent so wanted to know if there were any recent news on this.

Collapse -
No real news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2012 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Any updates

But I have seen the message try again later on many players.

I wonder if this almost working system is going to upset consumers.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.