TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD at Costco

by deanellis / May 14, 2008 5:04 PM PDT

I am buying the Samsung LN32A450 LCD based on research and CNET's review. But now I found the LN32A540 at Costco. Samsung's website shows the 540 as 1080 while Costco shows it as 720. All other specs appear to be the same. Costco sells the 540 for $799.99 while Best buy and Circuit City sell the 450 for $799.99.Is this the same tv?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD at Costco
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD at Costco
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
not the same models
by paneeza-22336860386898524 / May 15, 2008 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LCD at Costco

You are comparing 2 different models:

LN32A450 is 720p with a 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio.

LN32A540 is 1080p with a 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio

LN32A550 is 1080p with a 15,000 to 1 contrast ratio.

The LN32A540 is a great tv. Consider your source you will be viewing on your 32" tv also. If your watching every day tv and are or not upgrading to HD, you will be perfectly fine with the 720p model. All retail stores price match now so you can purchase it from Circuit, Best Buy, or Costco's. Best Buy and Circuit City are both doing great financing promotions this week which you may want to take advantage of.

Collapse -
not the same models
by deanellis / May 15, 2008 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: not the same models

I went by Costco again to look at the Samsung LN32A-540 and it shows the resolution at 1366 x 768. Doesn't that make it a 720p.

Collapse -
Samsung LCD TV LN32A550
by paulluap07 / May 20, 2008 2:04 PM PDT

I am in the process of selecting a 32" LSD TV and had (almost) settled on the Samsung LN32A450 which you have rated highly. Now I find that the price of this unit has come down significantly in many stores, but that the old MFSD price for this set is almost identical to that of the Samsung LN32A550.

Since I was prepared to pay the original price for the A450, I am now considering the A550. I cannot find any rating for this model on CNet. Do you have any and how does this compare to A450 in terms of quality.

Collapse -
I LOVE A GOOD TYPO FROM TIME TO TME............
by Riverledge / May 20, 2008 3:03 PM PDT

A SAMSUNG "LSD TV" MUST HARD TO COME BY............

GREAT VISUAL EFFECTS, I SUPPOSE. (JUST KIDDING!)

Honestly go with what looks BEST TO YOU; afterall you'll be living

with it for quite a while.

Best wishes,

River.

Collapse -
I love a good typo.....
by paulluap07 / May 20, 2008 3:12 PM PDT

I am showing my age...that is funny. Thanks for the tip, you are absolutely correct ...beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Collapse -
LN32A550
by deanellis / May 20, 2008 6:00 PM PDT

The 450 is 720p and the 550 is 1080p. Costco has a 540 model for $799.99 which appears to be the exact same tv as the 450 except the remote on the 540 has newer features. I keep hearing that 1080p on a 32 inch LCD is a waste. I'm pretty sure Samsung makes the 540 specifically for Costco because I can't find it anywhere else. I bought the 540 from Costco a couple of days ago and really like it. Great black levels!

Collapse -
SAMSUNG ROCKS!!!
by jhmills995 / May 21, 2008 2:48 PM PDT
In reply to: LN32A550

Just purchased the LN32A450 from costco. I did a lot of research and had a Samsung 19" LCD for my computer. I think SAMSUNG is amazing in the way the have made LCD tv's or Monitor's. This model is the cleanest and sharpest picture I have ever seen. It is also a great price for $799 at Costco! I thought my 19" LCD looked good, but man this 32" LCD is awesome! I think Samsung is as good or better than SONY for the money in the LCD Market!

Collapse -
Definitely agree, Samsung will indeed win its way to me.
by 8IronBob / May 22, 2008 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: SAMSUNG ROCKS!!!

After laying my eyes on some higher-end 46" models from Samsung recently, I do have to agree, best PQ bar none, and I don't mind the red accents for the glossy screen, and I'd think that's the way to go for me. As for you, since you're dealing with the club-store models, I would definitely suggest the higher resolution one, as that will indeed take advantage of Blu-ray, and HTPCs, and what not. If you're limited to 32", but have a pretty good budget, I'd give the LN32A650 a look, since you'd get deeper blacks and better connectivity.

Collapse -
LN32A540 sound
by tavanaho / June 1, 2008 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: SAMSUNG ROCKS!!!

Sorry me again. The noise is like "boom boom", so can't call it wheezing. Hear it with bass voices (mostly when men are talking) even when the volume is as low as 20 (out of max 100). Anyone with LN32A540 experiencing same problem? What might cause it? Thanks.

Collapse -
question about the Samsung ln32a540
by toddbeall / January 9, 2009 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: LN32A550

Hi,
I'm considering buying this tv or the a450. Does the one you have (540) have picture in picture? That seems to be about the only difference between it and the 450.

Do you still like your 540?

Thanks so much!

Todd Beall

Collapse -
Samsung LN32A540
by tavanaho / June 1, 2008 1:33 PM PDT

I bought an LN32A540 from costco yesterday, set it up and quite liked it. Turned it on today and started watching. When turned it up to 25 (25 out of max 100), the speakers started wheezing when people (esp males) were talking. Turned it up more, the annoying noise became more obvious. Switched to other channels, the same problem. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this problem. Would appreciate feedback.

Collapse -
Are you deaf? (JK)
by Jay C AC / June 14, 2008 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung LN32A540

I can't turn mine up much past 12 before it's way too loud to stand. If you are at 25, then something is wrong (possible hearing loss). Wheezing? Maybe you blew the cones of the 10W speakers by over-driving them.

BTW, love the LN32A540 I bought last weekend.

"I bought an LN32A540 from costco yesterday, set it up and quite liked it. Turned it on today and started watching. When turned it up to 25 (25 out of max 100), the speakers started wheezing when people (esp males) were talking. Turned it up more, the annoying noise became more obvious. Switched to other channels, the same problem. I'm not sure if anyone has experienced this problem. Would appreciate feedback."

Collapse -
Do you know anything about the technology?
by tavanaho / June 14, 2008 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you deaf? (JK)

I wish there was some sort of measure of understanding the technology before one could post his/her opinion here. Dude, if you were supposed to keep the volume at 12 and not to turn it up further, the TV wouldn't be made to accommodate a wide range of volume. Do some research before speaking out on a subject that you don't know much about. I'm quite dissapointed to see posts like this, instead of discussing technical aspects of a problem.

Collapse -
duh
by Jay C AC / June 14, 2008 12:02 PM PDT

Not sure makes someone an expert in saying that anything beyond 12 on my tv is "too loud". Your comment makes as much sense as saying that if the speedometer on your car has 170 that it can go that fast too. Volume levels are "relative" not absolute. You blew your speakers ... there, is that technical enough for ya?

"Do some research before speaking out on a subject that you don't know much about. I'm quite dissapointed to see posts like this, instead of discussing technical aspects of a problem"

Collapse -
EXCUSE ME, BUT WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????..............
by Riverledge / June 14, 2008 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: duh

ALMOST EVERYONE WITH GOOD TO EXCELLENT SPEAKERS KNOWS IT TAKES A

LITTLE TIME TO BREAK IN THE MAGNET COILS. THIS APPLIES TO TV SPEAKERS

AS WELL.

GOOD LUCK.

Collapse -
close
by Jay C AC / June 14, 2008 3:19 PM PDT

"LITTLE TIME TO BREAK IN THE MAGNET COILS. THIS APPLIES TO TV SPEAKERS"

Technically yes there is a break in, but it's not the voice coil or the pole magnet, it's the surround (butyl rubber usually) that supports the cone.

My guess is he had it on a source that was not on, thus the system was muting the output (per the user manual). In an effort to hear anything he kept increasing the volume to max (25). When that didn't work he started changing channels or sources until bam! ... he got a picture with sound and bye bye speakers.

Now with most likely torn surrounds he is hearing a "whooshing" sound as the cone material vibrates/resonates where it's torn. As for the "boom boom" sound he mentions ... the only thing I can think is he slammed the cone/coil into the basket or magnet and bent the former ... which now hits each time there is any bass. This jives with his saying it happens on male voices.

FWIW,
Jay

Collapse -
12 is too loud?
by deanellis / June 16, 2008 1:07 PM PDT
In reply to: duh

I bought the same tv and have the same problem. I've also read several postings with the same issue. As far as I know I don't have any hearing problems. If my car goes 100 mph, driving it 12 mph is going to blow the engine?

Collapse -
It depends
by Jay C AC / June 17, 2008 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: 12 is too loud?

Again, it's relative. 12 on my TV may be 40dB and on yours 45dB. But comparing 100 to 12 is not the same as 12 to 25 on the volume is it? If you over drive the speakers even once you can and will blow them.

What is your dynamic audio set to on or off?
What is your source? (Cable, Sat, DVD, OTA)
Do all sources require the volume at 25 to hear it?

On my setup, the sat box has it's own volume control. I set the TV so in case it switch to OTA I'm not blasted. A lot of stations like to pump the volume on commercials. I found 12 to work best for me. On te DVR I have to bump the volume a bit on the TV.

FWIW,
Jay

"I bought the same tv and have the same problem. I've also read several postings with the same issue. As far as I know I don't have any hearing problems. If my car goes 100 mph, driving it 12 mph is going to blow the engine?"

Collapse -
Pissing contest????
by geminigigi / May 17, 2011 3:09 PM PDT
In reply to: It depends

Wow...Boys! I came on here to get some sound advise about which Under-the-counter Tv for my kitchen would be best in the opinion of others. But it's such a turn off listening to grown men that don't even know each other; bickering and snipping....who's got the bigger - - - - is what it's always about right??? Grow up gentlemen! Guess I wil look elsewhere for that TV advice!
But enjoy the evening anyway fellahs!
Cheers!

Collapse -
How did you find this discussion?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Pissing contest????

It's years old. Try new ones or start your own.
Bob

Collapse -
Samsung LN32A540 LCD TV
by Taoobyn / December 30, 2008 11:38 AM PST

I went to Samsung website and looked up the LN32A540. It says the 540 has 1366 x 768 resolution or 768p. The Samsung PDF flier specifically states as 32" HD with 720p resolution. All other features are the same for the 450 except Picture-in-Picture and no RF Antenna input. The former is not in the 450 and the latter is not in the 540. I paid $599 at Costco (WA) for it. The 550 is 1080p. For me, the 540 is perfect for a bedroom setting and the 20W speakers work really well. From what I can tell teh 450 is highly rated so I hope the 540 is just as good. Here in WA the 450 was selling for $649-699 so a 540 at $599 seemed a good buy to me.

Collapse -
no rf antenna input
by toddbeall / January 3, 2009 4:22 PM PST

Hi,
I'm a bit confused. I am considering a samsung ln32a540 tv but you say that there is no rf antenna input. Since I have a roof antenna I will obviously need an antenna input--is rf antenna the same as the normal one? And if so, then how do I connect the antenna to this TV?

Sorry for what is probably a dumb question!

Thanks!

Collapse -
Samsung 540
by Taoobyn / January 5, 2009 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: no rf antenna input

My 540 has the standard cable TV connector that you would use for attaching an antenna. I believe they mean that you do not have an antenna for rabbitt ear antennas. You should be fine in attaching a roof antenna to your TV via the standard co-axial cable antenna.

Collapse -
Closed discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2011 3:45 AM PDT

The models are no longer at any retailer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.