Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung LCD 46" tv (LN-T4661F) - No Picture but with sound

by corkst / November 11, 2009 11:42 AM PST

Hello,

Hello all,

I own a 46" samsung lcd tv (LN-T461F) which just turned 20 months old. Til now, it was watched very infrequently (maybe 6 hrs per week). Last week, when powered on, it was functioning normally for about ten minutes before the picture went black, but continued with the program volume. Changing source/powering the set off and back on again did not rectify the issue, black screen with sound. I uplugged the television from the power outlet overnight, plugged it in and powered it on the next day, when it again functioned correctly for 25 minutes before it again reverted to black screen with sound.

I've done much reading of posts by 'gonefishing08' in the Samsung LCD TV LN-T5265F Black Screen Diagnosis Help thread, and have learned that faulty capacitors have proven to be he cause in many cases of other LCD Samsung televisions.

As the tv is out of warranty, Samsung was not willing to do anything nor would they admit to this being a known issue despite the multitude of people reporting/blogging about their same experiences.

I have taken the back panel of the television, but my ps board appears somewhat different in layout as compared to the photos others have posted of theirs. Mine appears to contain less capacitors which may only appear that way because of the differences in layout and the fact that there are three different capacitors there. While they do not show any signs of bulging nor leaking, I have removed 5 of them (from bourd locations CM853; CM852; CM876; CM8880; CB850). Two are samwha XC 10v 1000uf 105 degrees (caps blue with silver typing), one is samwha XC 25v 1000uf 105 drgrees (again blue with silver typing), and two more are sam young LXZ 10v 2200uf 105 degrees (black caps with silver typing). As stated earlier, none of them appear to be bulged nor leaking. I am confused as to why mine housed three different capacitors while most the other threads of people replacing capacitors on their boards seemed to have five capacitors all sharing the same coordinates.

My board model appears to be the bn4400-166b, in addition to the variations of the capacitors, the lack of discussions and pics matching my exact board/capacitor layout is making it difficult to decide what my next move is to be. Does anyone know if mine is meant to contain three different capacitors? And which ones I need to search for and would best replace them? Any help from someone with knowledge of this model and it specifics would be greatly appreciated!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung LCD 46" tv (LN-T4661F) - No Picture but with sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung LCD 46" tv (LN-T4661F) - No Picture but with sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung 4661 Audio but no picture
by marina723 / November 12, 2009 1:42 AM PST

I am having the same issue and it started 11/11 too. We've had ours about the same time too. Very frustrating!!

Collapse -
Capacitors appeared good, but changed anyway
by corkst / November 20, 2009 11:37 PM PST

Hi all, hoping that someone can offer advice. Although the capacitors appeared fine, we changed the the five commonly the issue for others. Unfortunately, the problem remains, power the tv on, we get picture and sound for 10 - 20 minutes before the picture goes black and sound continues. I can immediately power the tv off and back on again, and the picture will again come back for a minute or so. Called samsung, they will not do anything as its is 8 months out of warranty and they do not admit to any known issues with their sets. They say to call tv repair and provided me with contact info to their samsung authorized repair center. When speaking with him, he thinks that if it was a power board issue, the tv would likely not come on with picture at all, he seemed to think it may be related to an inverter issue. He thought the costs associated with the repair would amount to $240 labor (according to him was a $20 discount, since Samsung would pay him $260 for in warranty repair labor) plus the cost of the parts ($100 per inverter). I scheduled a pickup with him, which was to take place either Monday or Wednesday of last week, however, he 'no-showed' either day, nor called to advise/reschedule.

Can anyone offer any advice of which way I should go, not really interested in spending alot of $ to repair the tv which will still be substandard, when I can purchase a new, better quality tv for not much more. I can order an ip board for approx $120, but am reluctant to throw good money after bad if in fact the board is not the problem.

Collapse -
solved; Samsung TV sound but no picture.
by zamanmshah / February 1, 2010 6:52 AM PST

42" Samsung lcd TV. Turn on, it gives a black screen; no channels, but flashes. Sound comes if DVD player is hooked to it but no picture. The Main board/etc. was okay.
Solution:
The Thermal conductivity board/module (TCM) (located at the very top of TV in the middle) had a bad fuse. This is a microfuse about 3 mm long marked with a 'S' about 1 cm from the input socket. I did not know the amps, so I jumped it with 1 stand of wire from a speaker wire. i.e. I soldered it on both ends. The TCM is covered by a metal shield that you have to remove (and screws) to get to it.

Collapse -
sound but no picture
by islgirlbpk / April 8, 2010 8:45 AM PDT

This is not a solution....more of the same problem!!! Owned this Samsung (LN37A450C1D) for only 19 months. If so many people are complaining about the set going out JUST AFTER the warranty expires, isn't there something we can do about it???
Do you have a picture of this fuse??? If not, where can we get one?
Thanks for any help.

Collapse -
Samsung, Audio but no picture
by islgirlbpk / April 8, 2010 8:53 AM PDT

Have the same problem with an 18 month old Samsung LCD 37". With so many people complaining about the same issue, isn't there something we can do? Contact a consumer advocate? Does Samsung schedule the TV to go out after the warranty expires, so everyone will buy the extended warranty in the future to generate more income?

Collapse -
10v caps on 12v bus = value engineering. Recycle fix
by FPS93a / November 1, 2010 9:09 PM PDT

I gave up counting how many bad caps I have replaced. I'm beginning to believe the final, no the only, QC inspector is the customer.

Stop by at you local computer store go the service window and ask for bad PC power supply (p/s). It will have all the components you need. Every one I have repaired all had AC to DC (big caps area) inverter components blown. The 5-12v buss components are OK and will do nicely to fix Samsung's screw up. Just remember this higher voltage and Mfd ratings are ok if they will fit. I used taller 16v 3300Mfd caps and added to my stash of components. Be warned Samsung's boards lands are very small so work quickly or you'll lift it up from overheating. Always heat the component lead and extract when the solder melts. Personally a good solder extractor, AKA solder sucker beats wicks. MCM electronics has Tenma tools they a inexpensive and will do for DIY's, Remove rosin with alcohol and brush with complete. Keep your tinned soldering iron tip clean, I wipe mine on fine steel wool. Wet sponges work too but cool the tip to much for my likely. There's several Utube demos to help on soldering & desoldering.

Ed Retired ET radar/computers/microwave/telecom...
Pace certified PCB repair instructor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.