Laptops

Question

Samsung laptop - new hard drive issue

by Natkaforce / February 28, 2013 12:38 AM PST

I have a samsung q330 laptop, lots of important files and applications on it - windows 7 os. A few weeks ago I started getting a warning that the hard drive was going to fail soon, so I backed up all my files using the samsung recovery solution 4 onto an external hard drive that I had. I then purchased a new hard disk drive and took out the old one and added the new one. I thought it would be a simple case of booting with the new hard drive and pressing f4 to access the samsung recovery solution and then copying the files that I had saved on the external hard drive to the new hard drive I purchased. However when I press f4 on booting I get a message saying "operating system not found" which is strange as I should be able to access the recovery solution without windows. Any ideas why this might be happening (Incidentally I can press f2 on booting to access BIOS information and the laptop does read that my new hdd is present). I have since put back in the old drive again and it is still functioning but i would like to replace it with the new one - I don't have any recovery disks or copies of windows operating systems - I was under the impression that all this could be done using the samsung recovery solution and my external hard drive - can anybody shed any light on

a) why am i getting the operating system not found message on pressing f4 after installing new hdd

b) any alternative solutions for me to back up my current files/applications and move them to my new hdd if samsung recovery tool continues to be a pain in the ***

thanks a lot guys

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung laptop - new hard drive issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung laptop - new hard drive issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most of those recovery options access HD
by wpgwpg / February 28, 2013 12:48 AM PST

Most of the recovery options use a recovery partition on the hard drive to do the recovery. When you replace the hard drive, you lose that recovery partition, so that's likely your problem. I use Norton Ghost and Easeus Todo Backup Free for my backups, and never have had a problem since 2004, but I suggest you contact Samsung since you're using their software for backup.

Good luck.

Collapse -
alternatives?
by Natkaforce / February 28, 2013 4:27 AM PST

Thanks for the reply - I am happy enough to forget about using the samsung recovery tool if there are preferable alternatives - what do you suggest? Should I just buy a blank cd and use windows system restore - what is the most painless way I can do this?

Collapse -
Contact Samsung since you used their backup
by wpgwpg / February 28, 2013 10:32 AM PST
In reply to: alternatives?

As I said, I use Norton Ghost and Easeus Todo Backup Free. Since you used a Samsung program, you'll need to contact them to find out how to get those files off of the external hard drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.