Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung Known power cycling issue- DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG!

by SamsungBlows / October 15, 2009 9:52 AM PDT

I have been trying for three weeks to get service on my Samsung 52inch television. It simply started cycling "on" and "off" without any prompting by anyone. Apparenlty, this is known as "power cycling" and is a common problem. So common, in fact, Samsung actually has a firmware update to try and fix this problem. Except, you can't use the firmware if your TV won't turn on.

I have an extended warranty, and at first Samsung claimed it was not through them, even though it's got Samsung written all over the policy. For three weeks I have been passed back and forth between "service techs" and Samsung, when all they need to do is come out and replace the power supply, per the warratny I paid $500 bucks for. By the way, since Samsung and the people they have chosen to fix the television (AT&T Connect Tech) won't actually contact me to fix the problem, the warranty is useless. I literally cannot schedule an appointment with these people to get a service call, as they keep putting me on hold, never calling back, etc.

I believe AT&t Connect Tech to be a scam company. I do not believe, and I have no evidence that they actually intend to fix my television. I believe Samsung is aware of this fact, and is complicit in the denial of service.

I will never buy another Samsung anything again. I this will be the first post, of many I will make across the internet.

Samsung Sucks. Period.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung Known power cycling issue- DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung Known power cycling issue- DO NOT BUY A SAMSUNG!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 15, 2009 11:39 AM PDT

If you have a transaction number, I can look into this for you.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Allegedly they are sending a "tech" to fix the problem.
by SamsungBlows / October 18, 2009 6:27 AM PDT

I have been given an "appointment number", which is 629044. After we spent the weekend on the phone with the techs, calling back and fourth, waiting for phonecalls, them calling the wrong number, etc. they finally gave us to one "Tech" who suggested upgrading the firmware.

AGHHHH! After I explained to him that we had already tried that fix, but that the television DOES NOT TURN ON LONG ENOUGH TO LOAD ANYTHING, let alone have time to talk to the USB drive. It simply turns on and off.

He insisted we try this again, and call him back when it was completed. He directed me to the firmware that "he was sure would fix the problem." I downloaded and complied with this idiots instructions, and wasted another 20 minutes trying to upgrade firmware on a television that does not have POWER.

I call back, AND THEY HAVE CLOSED THE ISSUE BECAUSE THE TECH THOUGHT THE ISSUE WAS RESOLVED. I had to call Samsung, AGAIN, to wait for another ticket number, in order for the idiots at AT&T Tech to talk to me. So after another couple hours of calling Samsucks, I finally get another ticket number, and a manager, who tells me a power supply will be sent to my house this coming Tuesday. A tech will be here on Wednesday to install. I have my doubts.

This is the 2nd time we were supposed to have a tech in route, only to have the call "cancelled" by Samsung or AT&T on a whim. Everytime it's a different answer. "We thought it was resolved", "You didn't answer the phone so we cancelled it", "Logged as resolved because firmware update fixed problem", etc.

Did I mention I am never buying another Samsung?

Collapse -
Samsung sucks
by jrpric / January 3, 2011 8:18 AM PST

I purchased a samsung less than 2 years ago and I'm having the same problem. Will "never" purchase a samsung product again. Also plan to tell everyone I know not to buy samsung. They need to be exposed as an inferior product producer.

Collapse -
by waldwolf / October 15, 2009 5:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
i can understand your frustration
by jonah jones / October 18, 2009 6:46 AM PDT

but, you stated your problem here

received a reply here

and said "I finally get another ticket number, and a manager, who tells me a power supply will be sent to my house this coming Tuesday. A tech will be here on Wednesday to install" here

so, any further posts would, IMO, do nothing to help your case

jonah

Collapse -
Do you work for Samsung? Nobody else is complaining.
by SamsungBlows / October 18, 2009 6:56 AM PDT

Well Jonah,

I am pretty sure you don't need to read my posts if you don't want too. However, I am sure the people out there who are getting screwed by Samsung don't mind me informing them.

My television will be fixed at their cost-by hook or by crook. Part of the payback for being a poor company is to have bad reviews of your products and services by your former customers.

Collapse -
power cycling issue
by lorigrl / October 24, 2009 2:55 AM PDT

We have a 46A750 46" LCD, bought new from Ultimate Electronics. Power cycling issue started a couple of days ago. Intermittent at first, now constant. Just for the record, we managed to download the firmware recommended by the tech when the TV spontaneously remained on; firmware didn't resolve the issue. Worked the first time we turned on the TV after the download,turned off normally, next day the cycling started again. We now have an open repair ticket with Samsung, and were told we will be contacted within 3 business days to schedule an in home appt. Will keep you informed on how that goes. Samsung did have an incorrect purchase date of 10/1/08 (expired warranty). Our actual purchase date was 11/28/08, but Samsung extended the warranty for 3 months, and offered to correct the date if I fax in the receipt. So far, so good.

Collapse -
power cycling issue
by carlsonr / November 25, 2009 10:56 AM PST
In reply to: power cycling issue

I hope I have the same luck. I have the same TV and the same issue. Only resolution they gave me is to call support and get a technician here.

Collapse -
Power Cycling
by cimonex / November 30, 2009 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: power cycling issue

I have the exact same problem with the exact same TV (LN46A750) and bought it on the exact same date (11/28/08)hmmmm. It just started Cycling on and off on the 27th and the service tech told me I could get the warranty extended if I send in my receipt. Now just waiting for a repair tech to call, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My in-laws were just complimenting how nice my TV looks. But I cant really recommend Samsung with all the negative things I've ready about this issue and the lack of support. So does this mean that the Samsung Blue-ray player might have problems that Samsung will not cover....I guess I'll be looking at another brand. Wish I could have trusted you Samsung.

Collapse -
Power Cycling
by carlsonr / November 30, 2009 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: Power Cycling

Thanks for the post. There is a definitely a lot of noice online about the power cycling issue and Samsung does not appear to want to address it. It is an expensive fix. I would not be buying Samsung products ever in the future that is for sure.

Collapse -
by carlsonr / November 25, 2009 10:54 AM PST

I have the same issue on a 14 month old 46 inch model 750. Tech support confirmed this is a known issue, but will still cost $$$$ to fix.

anyone from Samsung listening? let me know...richcarlson@comcast.net

this is a HUGE issue with Samsung HDTV. too risky to buy one this holiday season. buyer beware. just google 'samsung power cycle' and see for yourself...

Collapse -
carlsonr
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 29, 2009 2:58 PM PST

carlsonr,

If you're a U.S. customer and you have owned your set for only 14 months, log on the website and register your television. Doing so would give you three additional months. Once you do that, call back and mention you have the three months additional coverage on top of the 12 month warranty.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mysamsung/product/myssMyProductRegist2.do

I'm not a member of service, but it may be worth trying.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Samsung Power Cycle repair Bill
by carlsonr / December 3, 2009 6:35 AM PST
In reply to: carlsonr

Fixed today $391.62. Ouch Sad

Collapse -
Samsung BLOWS
by Sicpup74 / December 3, 2009 7:11 AM PST

My repair just cost me $400. Firmware also BLOWS

Collapse -
Firmware will not address hardware issue
by SamsungBlows / February 14, 2010 3:08 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung BLOWS

Firmware will do nothing to correct a physical problem with the hardware, which is ovbiously what is happening. Capicitors don't pop because you don't have the latest version of firmware.

They pop because there is too much freakin heat/energy being run across the board.

Samsucks firmware solution is equivalent to changing the oil in your car when the transmission goes out.

Collapse -
What fixed it?
by CS77 / December 15, 2009 6:11 AM PST

I am having the same problem with a Samsung LN40A530 that is 1yr6mo old! I was just playing a game and my Wii and it started cycling on and off. I unplug it and as soon as I plug it back in the wall (no matter how long its unplugged) it will start cycling on and off, with the red light coming on and off. I do not have to press the power button, it automatically gets power and starts cycling when I plug it in. I ordered the Power board (BN44-00197) because 1ea capacitor was bad.It did not fix the problem. What else could it be???? I was thinking of ordering the controller (V400H1-C01) or the video output board (BN41-00975B) but I am hesitant about throwing any more money at this POS. What have people done to fix this problem??

Collapse -
What fixed it
by carlsonr / December 16, 2009 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: What fixed it?

For me, replaced the power supply.

Collapse -
Found information about shorting pin 5 & 6 of the eeprom
by CS77 / December 16, 2009 10:00 AM PST
In reply to: What fixed it
Collapse -
They replaced my entire motherboard.
by SamsungBlows / February 14, 2010 2:48 PM PST

I never did receive a "power suppy" from Samsucks. The tech did finally arrive and took my TV apart. He then took out the entire motherboard in the TV and replaced it with a new one.

You could plainly see the expanded capacitors across the board. I do not know if it required another power supply as well as capacitors, which is why they replaced the entire board, but they took all the guts of the tv and replaced them with a new set.

TV is working fine for now, but everytime someone comes over to watch and comments, I tell them the story of Samsucks. My uncle called me before Christmas, wondering what type of television I had bought, he was going to buy one. I told him to google "Samsung Power Cycling Issue", and let's just say that was all he needed.

Panasonic and Visio make a nice set to anyone that is looking.

Like I said, it's not just the problem per se, but Samsung continues to sell a bunk product to its customers. THEY KNOW THE TV NEEDS TO BE FIXED, but they don't care because they make money off you buying a new set or paying for repairs from their repair company. It really is criminal in my mind; a type of consumer fraud.

That's right, I said it Samsung. You commit FRAUD against your customers and you know what I say isn't libel because it's true.

Anyway, they got me once, but they will never get me again. Best of luck bro. I would quit throwing money at the thing, as you may have to just replace the guts of the television. Apparently, that is what the Samsung tech though was the best solution to my problem.

Collapse -
RE: What fixed it?
by egibby / March 15, 2010 4:55 PM PDT

Did you get your LN40A530P working? I have the same set that is having the same problem, tried replacing the power board but it didn't work. I know this is an old post, but maybe someone can help...thanks.

Collapse -
There is some hope.
by tco211 / February 14, 2010 4:49 AM PST
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=382658
This is what I did to get my money back from Samsung.
It does not however let Samsung off the hook for them not taking care of their problem tv's. The way it looks on these forums even the new models are having the same problems.
Collapse -
samsung cycling issues
by frankdaz / July 25, 2013 11:28 PM PDT
In reply to: carlsonr

I hate to say it but there are still issues out here I have a pn51d7000 next to your top of the line plasma when it was purchased and it to has the cycling issue it started about 19 months after purchase and I have called your techs a number of times and they are useless nor did they even care about losing customers that law suit was settled and mine is doing the same thing of course mine isn't on there go figure but I will say is that you have lost a customer and as thing break of I need to up grade it wont be a Samsung I have a bunch of items in my home and I certainly would not recommend a Samsung because of the service I received as well as the quality of the products it a joke that even after you get sued and loss these things are still happening Samsung to me as a whole does not care but keep in mind I been in retail all my life and the more out here that feel as I do the less will buy your products it takes time but in the long run it catch up with you

Collapse -
Samsung have no respect for customers problems, are rude
by bimbomimo / December 17, 2009 1:36 AM PST

I egree had the same problem.Samsung not returning calls. Blames you for product problems.Yes I will not buy Samsung again, unless they change their attitude and improve product .It is over priced and warranties are useless just scrabble on peace of paper.I bought Samsung TV and Blue ray player.What a mistake ,firmware outdated even after upgrade, not plying BR movies only HD and regular DVD.What a waist of money
Makers of HD TV, HD plasma or HD LCD [or yet new not on a market 3D?]and BR video market in general including makers of disks, are not cooperating.Market is mess. Never mind cable comp. On full 1080p HD TV you get at most on some channels 1080i.Whole market needs cooperation and respect for customers.Right now market is milking cow. I am very disappointed customer.

Collapse -
Samsung thumbs up
by hackinsat / February 13, 2010 1:04 PM PST

I have many Samsung TV sets. 2 DLP and 2 Plasma. I have had zero troubles with any of them. One of my DLP sets has 8500 hours on the original lamp, and it is still going strong. My oldest plasma has well in excess of 20,000 hours on it, as it is basically run all day in a video production suite. No issues at all. Would buy another in a second.

Collapse -
Really?
by SamsungBlows / February 14, 2010 3:02 PM PST
In reply to: Samsung thumbs up

You'd "buy another in a second" huh? Well, I would be willing to help you out with that. Just reply with how you want to pay, and I will have it delivered promptly.

Hell, I'll even throw in the "warranty." I'll be waiting for your contact information. Thanks!

Collapse -
I agree. Samsung TVs suck. Class action suit is in order.
by mattcrist / October 31, 2010 12:09 PM PDT

I have a 46" Flat Screen 1080P TV. I purchased an extended warranty also. The TV power cycles on and off and on again. Samsung sent a contracted technician to my house to fix my TV. He replaced everything in my TV, and low and behold 2 days after he left, I noticed my TV power cycling again. They sent someone out to fix it again and it's still power cycling. I have wasted so much time and money calling off work to be home for various Samsung hired service personnel, spent hours on the phone, and $300 on a warranty. Guess what Samsung. My f^%$ing TV is still f*#%ed up! You SUCK!!!!!! If there's a class action suit on this please let me know. Otherwise, we should start one because these sleezebags took $1,300 from my pocket and sold me a peace of third world junk.

Collapse -
LN32A450C1D... same problem
by xspence70 / November 1, 2010 9:06 AM PDT

This set was purchased in Feb. 2009. It has a power problem that requires it to take a rest every 4 or 5 days . It is about 5 months off warranty. After reading about Samsung doing a one time fix on these problems , I called them and gave all the info on set and the problem. After consultation the gentleman in the call centre told me they would have a tech come to my home to do a 1 time repair. Sounded good to me . I received a copy of the work order by email and called the repair shop to set up a time for the repair. I was told they only do house calls on sets 40 and bigger, and I would have to take it to the shop . I did that ...about a 1.5 hour drive from my home . After 5 days, the shop called and said it was not a capacitor problem , the power board would have to be replaced at a cost of $155 to me....not Samsung. I called Samsung and after being shunted from the initial call center to an oriental sounding one, I was told, because the set was not built in 2008 , they couldn't do anything for me (bought in Mar.2009). ...They were so sorry that I was not aware that the it had to be built in 2008. From what I have been reading, Samsung better improve its quality assurance and provide better customer service or they will soon become a big joke.So , I still don't know whether I have been fleeced by the repair shop(replacing power board instead of a 5 buck capacitor).or the victim of Samsung's poor quality and customer service. One thing is certain my next electronic purchase of any sort will not be a Samsung.

Collapse -
Samsung cycling
by oldinjun / June 12, 2012 2:24 AM PDT

I just had my Samsung TV repaired under warranty for the re-cycling problem. My TV is two years old. The service tech new exactly what the problem was and said it happens on all sets not just Samsung. In my case as with most the capacitors on the power board fail from constant on and off use. The surge weakens the capacitors over time. In my case 2 of the 5 capacitors were bad but the tech changed all 5. He replaced the capacitors not the entire power board in house. He said he had two LG units last week for the same problem. Samsung has a firmware fix online you can download for this model but it did not fix my problem.

Collapse -
Not Cycling, Just Flashing Light
by ctleng76 / September 5, 2012 10:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Samsung cycling

I too had this same problem. The light going on and off is not usually a power cycling issue, but a flashing light to indicate the TV is not fully powered up, or is still in the power-up stage. The light continues to flash until the TV eventually powers up (sometimes as long as 10 minutes). There are cheap/incorrectly sized capacitors installed on the power supply board from the factory. If they replace the power supply board, it fixes the problem. However, it will eventually happen again once the new capacitors on the new board fail. If you or someone you know has basic soldering skills, it is easy to fix. There are numerous places on the web to by replacement capacitors. The power supply board is easy to get to once the back of the TV is removed.

This is a design flaw by Samsung, and they are beginning to pay for it in the form of class action lawsuits. There is currently a class action suit against them from the state of Oklahoma. You may be entitled to some form of compensation there.

Collapse -
Samsung LN40A550
by msongy / January 2, 2013 10:32 AM PST

Did you ever have your problem fixed? My tv was simply off, with the red indicator pulsing off and on. Nothing else. Samsung agreed to pay for a tech to replace caps or power board, but nothing else. Got new power board, but nothing's fixed. The tech let me keep the new power board because it had significantly larger caps, but the problem is the mother board - according to the tech. I got a refurbished main board on order. By the way, my set was made one day after the Oklahoma lawsuit cutoff date, but after persistant requests, they agreed to perform the power fix. Nice of them, but my fairly young TV still doesn't work.

TV model LN40A550P3F
MAIN BOARD BN94-01723V

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.