Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung hw e350 Crystal surround Airtrack a waste of money

by graeme.1 / December 9, 2012 10:04 PM PST

I can only get 2.1 stereo from this damm thing.After connecting to both my Humax foxsat hdr and my sony blueray via hdmi and/or rca cable, I cannot get 5.1 operation of the hw e350 no matter what configuration and changes of cables and/or settings on the equipment.
I wished I had just carried on running through my hi fi to improve the sound of my samsung 5 series tv.
Anyone else having this problem?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung hw e350 Crystal surround Airtrack a waste of money
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung hw e350 Crystal surround Airtrack a waste of money
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's check something.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 10:31 PM PST

We know that due to HDCP rules we should not pass more than Stereo out of a HDTV except for OTA (over the air.) If we put a nice Blu-Ray to the HDTV then try to get more than Stereo from the HDTV to the HT system you should see this happen.

This is why we always hook up like this.

Source -> HT system -> HDTV.

It's a simple issue not limited to any maker. It's something I consider consumer unfriendly.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Samsung hw e350 Crystal surround Airtrack a waste of mon
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 10, 2012 7:02 AM PST

Hi graeme.1,

I looked at your model, and if it's the same as this one, I'm confused: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HW-E350/ZA

As the sound bar only advertises 2.1 stereo sound, could you add some more details as to why you're expecting 5.1 surround sound from this device?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Samsung hw e350 Crystal surround Airtrack a waste of money
by graeme.1 / December 10, 2012 8:04 PM PST

Hi, thanks for taking the time to come back to me.
I may have used the wrong term as in 5.1, its just that I can only get 3 of the 5 speakers to work.
It seems that I am noyt the only person to be suffering this problem as I found the following post on another forum with a reply from Samsung stating his devices must have a 5.1 output for all three speakers to work:

Question
Speaker Problems and HDMI Issues
There are five speakers on my HW-E350 but only three work. How can I get all of them to work?

answer 1
First, you'll want to make sure the signal you're playing is a 5.1 surround sound system. In many cases, the rear speakers are used less than the front speakers (for sound effects, music, etc).
Also, check your sound settings. If you're listening to "Stereo", you'll not get audio from all of the speakers. Try a Surround or Matrix setting.
Finally, make sure that your speakers are connected.

If that doesn't help, try reaching out to the Best Buy Geek Squad Agents for further assistance and inspection of your system and configuration.

--Mr.Samsung .

2 months, 2 weeks ago
Posted by:
MrSamsung
from SamsungHQ

I made the assumption of 5.1 after reading the above reply to that post.

Anyway, can you tel me why I am only getting the 2 outer speakers to work and not the 4 ?
I have tried every configuration of cables and settings on both the Humax Foxat HDR and my Sony BR with no success.
Thanks,
graeme1

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 12:53 AM PST

I only expect Stereo if I take the audio from the HDTV (any make/model). There are ways on some HT sound systems to turn on some matrix sound setting to get stereo to all speakers but I fear there is an initial setup issue.

I try to keep it simple in the setup such as I noted above. Here's my common best setup.

Source -> HT system -> HDTV.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Samsung hw-e350 Crystal surround Airtrack
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2012 2:27 AM PST

Hi graeme,

Thanks for pointing out that post. Sorry, but it's wrong, and yes, I know he's a Samsung community rep, so I'll get it fixed.

Here's what you can try: press the sound effect button on the remote (top row below the power buttons) multiple times to cycle through the different sound effect buttons.

If you don't notice any difference, put you fingers up to those speakers to see if you can feel them moving at all. If they are vibrating some, then it's probably working correctly.

If they aren't moving at all, then it's something wrong with the hardware and will need service. If you need it, here's the thread where you can get details on setting that up: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-542437/service-issues-click-here-for-help/

HD Tech

Collapse -
by graeme.1 / December 11, 2012 9:56 AM PST

Thanks again for your assistance, I have tried scrolling through the different sound effect settings but as before, the inner two speakers definitely do not work. However, the sound effects do work.

I will contact the supplier (Amazon) in the morning to see if they will replace it for me as it is only several days old.
Again, THANK YOU for your help.
Graeme.

Collapse -
Still the same problem in the replacement !!
by graeme.1 / December 17, 2012 5:21 PM PST

Amazon very quickly sent me a replacement hw-e350 Crystal surround Airtrack.

This second unit still presents the same problem as I had with the first : Works fine apart from absolutely no sound whatsoever from the inner two speakers, tested on every setting and they do not vibrate, completely dead.

I have connected it to various input sources: my Satelite box, my blueray dvd, my laptop, all via hdmi and swapping hdmi cables just in case a cable was the problem, Still no sound or even a vibration from the inner speakers .

Could these two units be from a bad batch or are the second speakers just for show ?
graeme.

Collapse -
by rgimblett / April 20, 2013 9:49 AM PDT

Graeme,

This thread is old but hopefully you will see this. I've got one of these soundbars and like you I noticed almost immediately that the inner 2 speakers don't vibrate. I've subsequently opened up the unit and they are indeed dummy speakers. The power supply and circuitry sit behind the right hand one and the sub-woofer chamber sits behind the left one.
The soundbar is much better than my TV in respect of clear speech so it's a winner there. Infact I think it's been tuned that way. But it's not got much mid range to my ear. I intended to play music stored on my DNLA server through it as well, but's it's just too sharp and not at all warm sounding.

In the range of all soundbars, this is at the cheaper end so I can't be too critical. But I'll be investing in some decent speakers to play music.

Hope this is helpful
Robin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.