Samsung

Question

Samsung HW-D550 Sound Bar

by XQS2FLY / July 31, 2011 9:42 AM PDT

I've hooked up a Samsung HW-D550 sound bar to a Samsung UN60D8000 TV. My goal is to get the sound bar to turn on and off with the TV power and be able to be controlled the sound bar volume with the TV remote. The sound bar currently turns off when the TV power is turned off; however, I can't get it to turn on when the TV is powered up. The bar is connected with the optical cable (I also tried the HDMI cable but didn't have any luck). According to the user manual, the "auto power link" function which links the power doesn't work when the Anynet+ is on... which allows TV remote volume control to work the sound bar. Does anyone have any thoughts? I can't believe Samsung would create a sound bar that you can't power on with their TV and then use the TV remote to control the sound bar. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HW-D550 Sound Bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HW-D550 Sound Bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
All Samsung Components - Doesn't Work
by Tarbaby-ATL / September 6, 2011 1:11 PM PDT

Ok, I can't understand this...I have a Samsung PN59D7000 HDTV (which btw seems to have the peeling screen problem - built in July 2011) and the HW-D551 Sound Bar (silver) and the BD-D6700 - All Samsung....I bought the sound bar because I figured they would all work seamlessly. WRONG!!! I can't get the sound bar to work with the TV, Comcast Cable Box or the Blu Ray...HELP!!!!! I have the Cable Box and the Blu Ray connected to the HDMI in on the back of the Sound Bar, the HDMI out to the TV...If I want to turn the TV on, it always goes default to DIGI 1. It doesn't recognize that HDMI 1 is the cable box and is the one that should be activated. If I get up and physically change the input to HDMI 1 or use the funky little remote it SOMETIMES works (sometimes it want's to go back to DIGI 1 for some reason). I am at my wit's end since I paid an arm and a leg for this system and can't even get basic remote features to work. I asked Samsung support to help via email, but they gave me a generic "plug in your HDMI reply"....can anyone help? I am at the point where I am ready to return the TV and the Sound Bar since Samsung can't seem to get their own products to work together. UGH!

Collapse -
HW-D550 - UN55D8000 - AppleTV and Scientific Atlanta (Cable)
by J_Hrycys / March 1, 2012 10:58 AM PST

Here is my story that is like Tarbaby with a question.

I like Tarbaby, I had my Scientific Atlanta to soundbar HDMI1 and AppleTV to soundbar HDMI2 and the HDMIout to the Samsung TV. I saw this as logical as the signal would leave a source (Cable TV or AppleTV) to the soundbar and then out to the TV. I guess this is WRONG. It is less intuitive then that. The AppleTV worked fine without a problem at 720p with this setup, however the Scientific Atlanta box only gives me grief with "Mode Not Supported" or "No Signal" (no video, no sound).

I was able to get my Cable TV and AppleTV to show the picture on the TV and the sound through the soundbar with the following setup:

Left the AppleTV connection HDMI2 of the soundbar and the Soundbar connects to the TV on HMDI2arc. So in this configuration the signal is going to the soundbar and then to the TV.
I connected the Scientific Atlanta to the TV (HDMI2 arc) and put the soundbar to Dig1arc. So in this configuration the signal is going to the TV and then to the soundbar.

Interesting enough I though the problem was with the arc... so I did put the setup back that I mention in the 2nd paragraph and used HDMI4 on the TV (avoiding the HDMI2arc input). This made no difference and I had the problems remain that I originally had. I don't know why this didn't work... but I do have a system that works... I am not happy though as I have an exposed cable under this setup. I would really like to have the Cable - Soundbar - TV setup more then the Cable - TV - Soundbar setup I have now....

Any help is appreciated!!!

Collapse -
HW-D550 - UN55D8000 - AppleTV and Scientific Atlanta (Cable)
by J_Hrycys / March 1, 2012 11:05 AM PST

CORRECTION:

Left the AppleTV connection HDMI2 of the soundbar and the Soundbar connects to the TV on HMDI2arc. So in this configuration the signal is going to the soundbar and then to the TV.
I connected the Scientific Atlanta to the TV (HDMI3) and the cable still exists on (HDMI2arc) to the soundbar and put the soundbar to Dig1arc. So in this configuration the signal is going to the TV and then to the soundbar.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
I can't believe this doesn't work
by EzDoesIt928 / November 21, 2011 6:22 PM PST

I have the hw-d550 and the samsung un60d6400. Since the sound on the TV stinks I bought the sound bar assuming that I would be able to connect it to tv and control it with the tv. Boy was I wrong, or if I am right I am sure missing the connection. I have tried everything I can think of including using the sound bar as a pass through for the cable box via hdmi and then hdmi arc to the tv hdmi arc. I have tried connecting cable box to the tv with hdmi and then to the sound bar with a digital optical.

Collapse -
I can't believe this doesn't work
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 8, 2011 2:59 AM PST

EzDoesIt928 -

Collapse -
this is sad
by Samsungdontknowanything / March 20, 2012 6:27 AM PDT

well since the tech above this has no idea on what he is a tech of i also have a samsung tv and sound bar and you have to use two remotes to power both of these on which is horrible i also wanted just one remote after $2,000 spent and they have a tv power button on the soundbar remote but no soundbar power button on the tv remote i'm also about to return these products for something that will work with one remote

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try This
by Mr Shaun Warburton / August 1, 2011 12:25 AM PDT

Try Putting the HDMI lead back in-to the Sound Bar, along with the optical and connect the HDMI lead to the port that supports ARC....

Collapse -
Still not working
by XQS2FLY / August 1, 2011 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Try This

Thanks for the response. I hooked up both cables as suggested and I still can't get the sound bar to do both functions. If I engage Auto Power, I can't use the volume on the TV remote to control the sound bar and if I select Anynet, the sound bar powers off with the TV but doesn't power on automatically when the TV is turned on. The sounds bar will not allow me to have both Auto Power and Anynet "On" at the same time. I've got to be missing something. Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
I have same exact problem with brand new Samsung UN55D6000
by Anchour33 / August 2, 2011 1:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

I've updated the firmware on the TV but not the sound bar. I'll try that tonight, but I can't believe there's no way to just have the sound bar turn on/off automatically with the TV using the TV remote. The Samsung Blu-ray player does that just fine.

Collapse -
Still not working
by XQS2FLY / August 2, 2011 1:18 PM PDT

I'll let you know if I find a solution. I didn't see a firmware update for the sound bar. If you find one and it works, please let me know. Thanks.

Collapse -
Checked with @samsungservice on Twitter
by Anchour33 / August 3, 2011 2:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

They gave the following response, which I think is what Mr. Shaun Warburton suggested above. I don't know why she says there is no way to adjust the audio on the sound bar using the TV remote, since that seems to work fine even with just an HDMI connection.

"To have the Soundbar turn on when
the TV is powered on you must disable Anynet on the SoundBar & use optical
cable connection. When TV is powered on,
the SoundBar will turn on. When TV is powered off, the sound bar will turn off
after 20 mins when it doesn't detect a signal. When using HDMI connection,
w/Anynet on, you can use SoundBar remote to control only TV Power/TV Info/TV Ch.
There is no way to adjust the audio on the SoundBar using the TV remote or vise
versa. ^Sabrina"

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung D550 with new C6000 series "Smart TV"...ya right!
by Floo420 / September 14, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

I have the same issue with the sound bar and it not controlling the volume and the power of the Samsung TV mounted several inches above it. I can not believe that Samsung has made it so difficult to get such a simple feature to work. I am not sure if they want you to purchase the "Super Smart" remote or not but I would highly discourage anyone from buying Samsung TV's or soundbars until they get their systems talking together.
Simple questions:
Why can the sound bar have the same IR programming as the TV so that one remote automatically works with both units without having to use the Anynet+?
How do they design two units in the same year that don't talk....for a smart tv and a fairly advanced company they are way behind in making the systems work properly.
Further to that anyone who thinks that the streaming content is going to work wirelessly should do some research too, that function is useless. Even when the TV is run via an Ethernet cable it stalls playing 1080P content.

Anyone who gets this system working please let me know.
Thanks

Collapse -
Samsung D550 with new C6000 series "Smart TV"...ya right!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 2, 2011 7:13 AM PDT

Floo420,

Collapse -
I dont think you understand the issue.
by Floo420 / November 2, 2011 11:42 AM PDT

You are right the sound bar is to take the place of the tv speakers. In that case why should there be the need to have two remotes.
The design is clearly flawed, its a poor design. You should have one remote and just turn off the tv speakers so that you are not controlling both (as you mention above, you only need the bar).
Why not just make them work together? why have two remotes to have one cohesive control? Its just poor planning. I would love to hear if I am missing something.....but I think i have it and Samsung has missed it.

its a real shame (and a scam the way its sold)!!

Thanks
shawn

Collapse -
same issue - pissed off
by Breastlover / December 6, 2011 8:22 AM PST

I just purchased a Samsung 50inch Plasma with the HW-D550 sound bar at Best Buy as a package deal.
You cannot hook it up this system to our Time Warner Cable HD box without having to use 2 remotes. I tried everything and consulted Samsung direct; they confirmed. What a cluster.

What was Samsung thinking? It's going back to Best Buy in the morning.

Collapse -
No firmware upgrade / solution yet??
by Re22ie / July 17, 2012 7:56 AM PDT

Unfortunately I find myself in the same situation a year on - should have researched more but like others you do assume that some logic would apply for Samsung to assume that people buying a soundbar may want the option to use it as the default sound source whenever using the TV, and only requiring the TV remote to do so. (I know I am being somewhat repetitive here, but it really should be simple!!)

That means soundbar turning on when the TV turns on (yes you can do this by connecting an optical cable) and then using the ARC connection to control the soundbar volume using the TV remote (which if using the optical to switch on, means you still need the soundbar remote to switch the input or go through the multi step TV route Tools -> Anynet -> Receiver!).

If the anynet / ARC can switch both off using the TV remote, SURELY this is possible... Or even the TV should be able to run the multi-step Tool route itself upon switch on?

Anyone going to save me and point me to the solution / firmware upgrade I've missed?!

Many thanks

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) samsung HW-D551
by lordwally / October 25, 2011 10:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
Question
by Superx421 / November 1, 2011 2:59 AM PDT

I have the UN55D8000 TV and the HW-D551 Sound System and am having the exact same issue. Anyone have a definitive answer to this problem? Thanks!

Collapse -
Returned
by XQS2FLY / November 2, 2011 10:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

I found no solution for my original issues and ended up returning the sound bar. You'd think Samsung could integrate their products better. I was disappointed.

Collapse -
(NT) Return it!
by Floo420 / November 2, 2011 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Question
Collapse -
No fix yet
by Anchour33 / November 7, 2011 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Return it!

I haven't found a fix yet either. I just deal with having to hit power on the sound bar remote when I want big sound. It's a pain that a I wouldn't expect from top of the line brand new Samsung equipment, but at least everything turns off along with the TV.

Collapse -
What are you Connections?
by EzDoesIt928 / December 6, 2011 6:58 PM PST
In reply to: No fix yet

I it working this way once, but can't get back to it. What cable connections and what anynet+ settings on TV and sound bar? I would really appreciate your help!

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung HW-D550 Sound Bar
by mlipst / July 24, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

I have this soundbar connected to a Samsung UN46D7000 TV, have experienced the frustration seen here, and have made numerous call to customer support. I finally wrote a letter to the CEO of Samsung North America, and received a call back from a high level customer support group in South Carolina (called "The President's Office") three days later. The rep went through my concerns again, gathered more information, and said she will talk to their Engineering group. She called back the next day and and informed me that they are aware of the problem and are currently working on a firmware update for their TV's to allow the soundbar to turn on when the TV is on, and still be able to control volume with the TV remote. No explanation of how they could be so stupid, but their is some hope for a fix.

Collapse -
Thanks
by Re22ie / July 24, 2012 7:10 AM PDT

Thanks mlipst - precisely what I was looking for. Good perseverance, hopefully they get the firmware upgrade sorted soon!

Collapse -
Anything new?
by YoDaddy22 / September 26, 2012 3:17 PM PDT

Really hoping that this firmware fix is coming soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse -
Answer
Just did the same thing last night.
by jlft_mlft / August 2, 2012 3:22 AM PDT

I am betting that the Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) is set to on. This will prevent the sound system from looking for the optical input from the TV for the purpose of turning on. to fix this on the Samsung HW-E450 you have to use the function button on the unit itself. I think that it should be the same on your model. But I have been reading that if you leave your optical cable attached and connect a HDMI up as well you will get the ability to control the sound systems volume with the TV remote because of the Anynet+(HDMI-CEC). I would suggest leaving it on and adding a HDMI cord.

Collapse -
Answer
Volume Control
by UrbanGuy56 / August 6, 2012 11:02 PM PDT

Just bought Samsung LED 7100 Series Smart TV and the HW-D550 Sound Bar. I made it VERY VERY CLEAR to the salesperson that whatever sound system I purchased, it had to be controllable from the TV remote. Of course, the salesperson recommended the HW-D550 with the optical cable. I hooked it up and of course there is no way to have the TV remote control the volume. One of the posts refers to software or firmware update to the TV that will resolve this problem. Is that available?? How do I get it??

Collapse -
Re: Volume Control
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 7, 2012 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Volume Control
Collapse -
Volume Control of Sound Bar by TV Remote
by UrbanGuy56 / August 7, 2012 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Volume Control

HD Tech - please read above post of 7/24/12 at 7:44 AM. Unless the Samsung Rep from "The President's Office" is lying, there is a fix coming. I would like to know "when" and I would like to know "how" I can get it. Thank you for your suggested work around but it is not a work around, at all, for me. I need the TV remote to control the volume and on/off of the sound bar, not the other way around. This is because I use a TIVO DVR and I use the TIVO remote to control the TV (on/off, volume, source). So, please let me know when the correction to this bug is coming and how I can get it. Thank you.

Collapse -
Re: Volume Control of Sound Bar by TV Remote
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 8, 2012 12:09 AM PDT

Hi UrbanGuy56,

Again, I'm sorry; didn't mean to be off-putting. You asked if it was available, and I told you that it wasn't. I didn't say there never would be. Mlipst posted this information two weeks ago, and I'd expect a change like this to take several months. I realize you may not like to hear that, but in light of how you reacted to my earlier statement, I figured you'd rather me be upfront with you now rather than hearing "it's not currently available" for several months. Sorry I couldn't be more definite with you on the 'when'.

As to the how, updates like these are pushed via firmware. So check the website on a regular basis, or if you just want to automate it, connect your TV up to your network and let it search for updates itself.

Regards,
HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.