TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Samsung HTE5400 bluray tray opens and closes randomly...

by Crazyplant-25261639637073285269772561878242 / May 24, 2013 9:21 AM PDT

Equipment: Samsung Home Theatre E5400 with Samsung tv and Roku attached with HDMI cables; 3 remotes-tv, bluray and Roku; Wireless ATT router/modem in other room with desktop computer.

My problem: About 2 months ago, coincidentally, after installing a new HP wireless printer at my desktop (other room), the disk tray in the bluray started opening and closing randomly, disk in or not, with the tv screen reverting to the settings screen of the bluray. Roku stopped streaming when this occurs also. I changed the printer to USB instead of wireless (long shot I know) and reverted the bluray back to factory settings. I also did NOT update the firmware. One or both fixed the problem. This week, again, coincidentally, after Roku updated their platform/display, and I started streaming, the bluray tray started the random opening again with "no disc" on the display. After contacting Samsung, I updated firmware, unplugged, replugged, left the Roku unplugged and unattached, took the batteries out of the remote then put back in, made sure the printer was USB not wireless, etc. I am just about out of quick fixes and probably need to send the unit back for an evaluation. I almost never play a bluray disc, mainly audio CDs and DVDs. I know the printer and Roku issues are long shots, but the timing for the unit going crazy did match the new printer installation and the Roku update.

The Samsung reps have never heard of this.

Any thoughts before I give up and send it back?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HTE5400 bluray tray opens and closes randomly...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HTE5400 bluray tray opens and closes randomly...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Is the HT on your network?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 9:41 AM PDT

It may be time to take the HT off any networking. Also, since it receives commands over IR you way want to find the IR receiver on the HT and block it as a test.
Bob

Collapse -
Mine has started doing this as well. Its really frustrating.
by BrittonKeene / June 5, 2013 9:47 AM PDT

Sometimes it does it once a day, sometimes it does it repeatedly or sporadically over the course of an hour or so.

Collapse -
Samsung HTE5400 bluray tray opens and closes randomly...

My unit was still in warranty (by about 2 days), oddly enough, based on the serial # on the back, not my receipt. It is currently being shipped back after some type of repair has taken place. Good luck to both of us. I like the system, but I'm disappointed with a repair being needed and the unit not even one year old.

Collapse -
What was the outcome ?
by 777Mazda / November 24, 2013 11:43 PM PST

How did this all turn out ? I'm currently having the exact same issue (5 days till Warranty end) and have just sent the unit to Samsungs repair facility in NJ . Please let me know if the problem was fixed . I was a big fan of Samsung but this is the second major electronic of their brand in my household needing repair ..... needless to say not impressed !

Collapse -
Samsung HTE5400 bluray tray opens and closes randomly - same
by pritix / December 3, 2013 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: What was the outcome ?

I wonder what was the final outcome here. Does sending the unit back to Samsung for repair worked for anyone? any other fixes found?
I disconnected all cables from my unit, even speakers. I only left the power cord connected and performed a hard reset twice. The issue still happens.
Somebody please tell me what works.

Collapse -
Samsung HT E5400/ZA
by 777Mazda / December 3, 2013 11:06 AM PST

Waiting for repair and return , I'll post the results.

Collapse -
Samsung Customer Service is GARBAGE !
by 777Mazda / December 9, 2013 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung HT E5400/ZA

After receiving my unit back from Samsungs Contracted repair facility "CVE in Nj" , I inspected it only to find my worst fear had come true and found all kinds of scratches and scuff marks on the unit !
When I first setup the repair I told the CS rep that this unit was in New condition , not like-new , it was in PERFECT shiny New condition and did not want to receive it back in any less of condition ! Luckily I took pictures to show this, unfortunately after sending Samsung Customer Service an email with pictures, calling and being placed on hold over and over by incompetent reps that went round and round, the only option given was to send the unit back to CVE, Samsung would pay to replace the outer shell(as if they were doing me a favor) and Samsung would pay the shipping to the facility as a compensation ??? (even though it was their fault and they should rightfully pay the shipping).
After this experience, I will never purchase another Samsung product or recommend anyone do so, do to the lack of Customer Service and horrible Warranty/Repair service contractors !
Don't buy SAMSUNG !

Collapse -
Tip. TOP POST (make a new post please)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2013 4:07 AM PST

Make a new top post with this along with service or transaction numbers so the Ambassador can spot this and reply.
Bob

PS. This thread is more than 198 days old which means your addition here may go unnoticed. This is why it's best to make your own top post.

Collapse -
Sorry, but this should be done in the CNET SAMSUNG FORUM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2013 4:08 AM PST

Here's where -> http://forums.cnet.com/samsung-forum/

Collapse -
No , it is a response to question "What was the outcome?"
by 777Mazda / December 9, 2013 7:20 AM PST

Thank you for the tip, however this was the outcome experience I had and was answering the previous poster's question of "What was the final outcome" , granted I went into more detail because I believe it was warranted. This was not an attack , it was giving an honest non profane summary of a defective product and service . I also understand this is an older thread , obviously from my initial post , but there is still an interest in the subject matter. Unless you are biased positively towards Samsung ?

Collapse -
Can't say I am.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2013 7:58 AM PST

I think Samsung has big issues about privacy and how their Smart Hub system works. That is, to use the apps you must checking into their mothership before. Well, no thanks.

But I have had positive results by using their support system so plus on one, minus on another.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
DVD tray constantly opens
by mccreary7 / February 7, 2014 12:14 AM PST

I have had issues with my HT-E5400 Blu Ray player for over six months. I have done everything recomended by tech support. It is a couple of months out of warranty so, Samsung said I would have to pay to have it repaired. Considering that I have read numerus compliants about this model I am very frustrated with Samsung and will not purchase another Samsung product.

Collapse -
QUICK DO THIS!!!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2014 12:16 AM PST

In the USA some Samsung products get 3 more months warranty when you register. Please try that.
Bob

Collapse -
the solution that worked for me
by pritix / February 9, 2014 3:03 AM PST

My Samsung HT-5400 was turning really hot. I don't know if it was overheating because it did not always shut down but it was randomly opening the disk tray.
I found on Samsung's web page that there is one firmware update and another file that fixes something that has to do with the units fan. I tried this one first and no more getting hot and no more opening and closing of the tray.
Samsung support couldn't tell me this.

Collapse -
Answer
Remote with dying batteries might be the issue
by maxxiom / October 26, 2014 2:29 PM PDT

I know this is an old post, but I came across it because I was having the same problem as described and was looking for a solution. I thought I'd share the solution (which I discovered after several confounding days of pulling out my hair!) to possibly spare others with dealing with repairs, warranties, etc.

So after a few days of being constantly interrupted with random behaviors from the player, I eventually wondered if the OEM remote might have something to do with it. I even wondered if a neighbor's remote might be causing the problem (remember the scene in Poltergeist? LOL!). Anyway, so I thought I'd remove the batteries to disable the OEM remote. When I opened the battery compartment of my remote, I was a bit shocked--and hopeful--to see that it had the original batteries from 2 years ago (...I usually use my Logitech Harmony remote...). And sure enough, once the remote was disabled, I had no more randomness with my HTE-5400. I even placed new batteries in the remote and still no problems! (I might take the batteries out for good, but I do find using the OEM remote more convenient at times).

Unbelievable that a remote with low batteries could randomly cause the disc tray to open or cause the unit to change inputs! WOW! Anyway, you might want to try changing out your remote's batteries first if you come across this problem.

Collapse -
UPDATE: Remote wasn't the issue after all
by maxxiom / October 30, 2014 12:22 PM PDT

So after a few days without any issues, the problems are back. For whatever reason, it was working without issues after I replaced the batteries on the remote, but now the system is acting up again -- even after I removed the batteries from the remote & left them out! Odd coincidence I suppose. Oh well... sorry for the false positive. I hope this things works itself out somehow or I'll be looking for another HT system soon -- AND IT WON'T BE ANOTHER SAMSUNG!

Collapse -
There you go, I agreed completely.
by Oldartq / July 11, 2015 3:26 PM PDT

you got the right idea. Regardless what the actual issue may be, it's Samsung equipment therefore Samsung's fault.

Collapse -
Remote batteries!

Hey, I was going thru the same thing! Quite annoying! I changed from the 1st batteries, and it hasn't opened yet! It's been about 20 mins

Collapse -
Answer
lock it
by biciclet / April 15, 2015 4:16 AM PDT

press stop and 48273 it will not open until you do the same to unlock it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.