Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung HT-E6500W, speaker volume cuts off sporadically.

by kevs888 / April 25, 2013 4:48 AM PDT

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this....

I own a Samsung HT-E6500W with Blu-Ray Player System.

I understand that the surround sound doesn't always have voices that come out of the rear speakers because of the way a show may be broadcasted, but there are times when I'm watching tv and the rear speakers' ENTIRE volume will decrease and then completely cut out.

The only way I've been able to get the volume to come back up is to disconnect and then reconnect the wires behind the small speakers.

The speakers to do not move and the wires are seated properly.

And, sometimes, the front center speaker volume drops to pretty much zero. The only way I can get the volume to come back up is to turn the volume up, up, up and then something catches, making everything turn back on.

I've tried chatting with Samsung, but with online chat, they just use type tracks and apologize and send me the same troubleshooting link.

Does anyone have any "real world" experience or advice?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HT-E6500W, speaker volume cuts off sporadically.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HT-E6500W, speaker volume cuts off sporadically.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Samsung HT-E6500W, speaker volume cuts off sporadically
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 25, 2013 6:02 AM PDT

Hi again kevs888,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your home theater. Could you tell me when this started? Also, could you let me know if it happens across sources: Cable, Blu-ray, etc.? Also, can you cause the problem to occur? For instance, if it happens in one place in a DVD, can you rewind and cause it again? Does the problem ever resolve itself, or do you have to always do this unplug/replug step to get it running normally again?

HD Tech

Collapse -
Still not working.
by kevs888 / April 28, 2013 12:28 PM PDT

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

This has been a recurring issue for the past 3 months or so. And yes, it happens across all sources--blu-ray dvd, regular dvd, cable tv, USB video.

I cannot purposely cause the problem to occur. It happens on its own. It rarely resolves on its own without me unplugging/replugging the black and red and then in reverse order.

Sometimes when I unplug/replug, the volume goes back to normal. There are other instances where the volume comes back, but it's just lower.

For example, today I was watching a movie via USB. About 3 minutes into the movie, ALL AUDIO drops from the speaker...not just the vocals. EVERYTHING. I have the receiver set to 3D Sound - High. I unplug/replug and everything is back...for about 5 minutes.

I'm a bit frustrated because I was told in a Samsung Support Chat to save my Chat ID because we had discussed getting replacement speaker wires as long as I tried last ditch efforts like unplugging the system from the wall (which I did with no change in result). When I went back into a new chat several days later, I referred back to my chat ID as instructed and that rep said that it'd take too long to retrieve that conversation and suggested I fill out a repair form.

I purchased this system in November 2012. I hope you can understand my frustration and look forward to any advice.

Collapse -
Re: Still not working
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2013 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working.

Hi kevs888,

So the volume levels drop to zero, but the unit stays on, right? It doesn't power cycle or anything like that.

I'm sorry to hear that chat was unhelpful. Could you post me the Chat ID code that you got? I'll get my contacts to look it up.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Still the same...
by kevs888 / April 29, 2013 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Still not working

I appreciate the questions you're asking. You've asked better questions than all my "support" chats combined.

Regarding the volume levels dropping to zero but the unit stays on...that is correct. There has never been any random power cycle or reboot.

I'll have to look for the Chat ID as it was on my work computer. I only have the chat ID for the first conversation, not the second one where the person said that it would take too long to retrieve the first conversation.

Collapse -
Re: Still the same...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 30, 2013 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Still the same...

Hi kevs888,

OK, this does sound like a repair issue of some kind. I'd still like the chat ID you have so that we can look up the information. If nothing else, I'll be able to reach out to you to get the repair ball rolling.

HD Tech

Collapse -
I have the same issue... just happened 2 days ago...
by djm3647 / July 19, 2013 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Still the same...

Hey Kevs888...

I know what you are going through as it just started for me. I have the same exact home theater system with the same exact problem you have...

Did Samsung come back to you with a fix via software / firmware update? Or did they ask you to send the unit to them to be fixed or replaced? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated! I hope Samsung took care of you. I hope they will take care of me also...

Collapse -
Same issue
by Mason7370 / July 28, 2013 3:40 PM PDT

Djm3647,

Preaching to the choir. Random spontaneous main volume starts decreasing. Try to turn it up with the remote and it's like the machine is battling you to reduce the volume. Called Samsung tech support and after four fruitless calls, I was told my one-year warranty is out despite the fact that the machine is 11 months old. Sent in the receipt as proof. I'm surprised I have to go through this fiasco. They're still "evaluating" my proof of purchase.

Collapse -
same issue
by djm3647 / August 2, 2013 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

Mason7370,

Sorry to hear that Samsung is giving you such a problem. I have yet to call them (been working a lot) but hearing of your fruitless calls to tech support and then them telling you that the machine is out of warranty... Man, I have got sinking feeling. That's too bad. I have usually had excellent experiences with Samsung products, but this machine is making me start to doubt the quality of their products.

At any rate, I will give Samsung a call this weekend and hopefully someone there can come up with a fix. I will come back and post the results of my call; hopefully not fruitless.

Good Luck Mason7370!

Collapse -
Same issue
by Mason7370 / August 2, 2013 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: same issue

Well, they evaluated my receipt and deemed my machine was still in warranty. They sent me a UPS prepaid shipping label and I sent it off this morning. We shall see. The good news is that I didn't have to continue the battle over the warranty.

I would say that I'm nervous that the machine is starting to have problems right as my one-year warranty runs out. I fear they'll fix this and like a month from now I'll have more problems. I recommend you call them right away to get the help ticket going.

From my end, I always ran and installed all the updates on a regular basis. I did nothing to cause the machine to start with the random volume decrease issue. We use the system on a regular basis, pimarily for Netflix and to watch movies off of an external hard drive I have connected to the front USB port. Who knows what made this start to occur? All I know is that for $550, this should not be happening.

Collapse -
same issue
by djm3647 / August 13, 2013 12:54 AM PDT

Mason7370, I am glad that Samsung finally took care of your unit... Yes, I did call them (to at least start getting something documented) and they had me try things that I had already done. Unfortunately, until I go through all of their protocols and level escalations, they are not going to do much of anything. Like you, it is probably going to take several calls before they realize that something really is wrong.

Collapse -
same issue
by Mason7370 / August 13, 2013 2:34 AM PDT

djm3647,

They researched it and deemed mine still in warranty. I sent it in on a prepaid UPS label and just received word yesterday that they're sending it back repaired. Here is the diagnosis and repair that was conducted on my machine:

Symptom: KEYS/KEYPAD STUCK NOT FUNCTION
Repair Description: PARTS REPLACED-APPEARANCE
Part # AH96-019378; ASSY MISC P-FRONT KITTING(ITO+F);HT-E673

It's being shipped back to me. I hope this repair solved the problem.

Collapse -
Same issue
by djm3647 / August 17, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: same issue

Mason7370,

Funny thing... I found that after I messed around with the volume controls on the unit itself and popping open the little cover beneath the controls (the cover that protects the volume calibration microphone jack...) the volume problem has stopped completely! I have not had a problem with it for 5 / 6 days!

I think your problem should be solved. I wonder if there is an issue with the volume control button contacts.

Now, I wonder should I continue to pursue this with Samsung... the unit has not troubled me with the volume and I am okay with leaving the little cover open... But I wonder still if there is a bigger underlying problem. I still have 5 months warranty on it. Maybe I will just keep an eye on it for now. If the problem returns then I will know I have a bigger problem.

At any rate, thanks for posting the Symptom / Diagonsis and Part Number. I am going to save this info and should this issue come up again, I will give Samsung this info.

I hope your unit will not trouble you any longer once you get it back!

thanks!

Collapse -
Wireless Module included
by Highland_Logan / August 18, 2013 3:08 AM PDT

Have you re-synced the wireless module for the rear speakers? This is part of the trouble shooting procedure for this unit. You may be getting interference from other wireless products in your home.

I know this is an old thread, but others may have the same issues.

Frank

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.