Samsung forum

Samsung HT-E5530 audio sync problem (firmware bug?)

by ralphfx / December 8, 2012 9:49 PM PST

Dear all,

After using the HT-E5530 for a few days I am under the impression there is an error in the firmware regarding the audio sync delay setting.

My setup:
- cable STB connected to HDMI1 of the HT-E5530 with a HDMI 1.4 cable
- HT-E5530 connected to the TV (UE40D7000) with a HDMI 1.4 cable
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) disabled on all devices

All devices running on the latest firmware/software versions. For the HT-E5530 this is version 1012.5.

After some trial and error, an audio sync delay of 125ms on the HT-E5530 seems to be the best setting to have the picture and sound from the STB in sync on my TV and HT-E5530 respectively.

Now, what is the issue:

1. I switch off all devices (stand by)
2. I switch all devices back on
3. The picture on my TV and sound from the HT-E5530 are now no longer in sync. Despite the fact that the 125ms audio sync delay is still set in the menu of the HT-E5530 (!!), the HT-E5530 behaves as if the audio sync delay is back on its default 0ms!
4. I now change the audio sync delay setting to e.g. 100ms and then back to 125ms again and picture and sound are back in sync.

Steps 1-4 keep repeating.

In other words: the HT-E5530 doesn't seem to "remember/apply" the 125ms audio sync delay after switching the device off and back on again. However, the setting still appears in the menu.

Resetting the HT-E5530 doesn't change anything. The audio sync bug seems to be persistant, which makes me believe it's an error in the firmware.

I hope this remark gets noticed by Samsung and there will be a fix in a new firmware version.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HT-E5530 audio sync problem (firmware bug?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HT-E5530 audio sync problem (firmware bug?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Double check something for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 8:23 AM PST

All the samsung tv's I've encountered have a SHOP MODE they arrive in. If you don't take it out of this shop or demo mode the settings revert after a time.

I don't see where you took it out of shop mode. And that's not a bug.

Collapse -
by ralphfx / December 9, 2012 4:10 PM PST

Hello Bob,

Thanks for your reply, but the issue is not related to the TV (which is not in shop/demo mode by the way, that mode is one of the first things I disabled when going through the plug and play settings).

The problem lies with the HT-E5530 home cinema set as it is not applying the set audio sync delay (125ms in my case) after it's been switched off and back on again.

Collapse -
Some of those HT systems have a similar shop/demo mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: RE

I know it's tough to supply all the details and I see why the makers do this. Let's see if Samsung's HDTech has other ideas.

Collapse -
Re: Samsung HT-E5530 audio sync problem (firmware bug?)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 10, 2012 6:52 AM PST

Hi Ralph,

Unfortunately, the only ideas I have are demo mode and reset. So I'm out of ideas. But then again, I support US products and customers. And from what I can tell, this model is for UK. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) So you may want to contact UK support; here's the Samsung UK portal for support on that product:

Hope this helps you!

HD Tech

Collapse -
by ralphfx / December 11, 2012 11:22 PM PST

Thank you for your replies, but both the TV and the HT-E5530 are not in demo mode and resetting unfortuately does not change anything in the behaviour of the HT-E5530.

I contacted the local Samsung support here in the Netherlands and the reply I got was also not satisfactory at all. Basically the advice was to try a reset and in case that wouldn't work, to contact their Dutch repair service. As far as I can tell, no action was taken to try to reproduce the issue.

Despite the fact I like the slim design, as well as the gloss finished speaker set, I will try to exchange the Samsung something else. The same firmware is shared by a number of samsung HT models, so I have no confidence in buying a higher end Samsung. Maybe I'll even go for a seperate A/V receiver set up.

There is also a thread here on CNET describing a bug that causes the audio sync delay to drift (increase with every reboot of the HT-E5530), which dissapears when 24fps is switched off. This also tells me that the firmware on the device is not functioning properly.

Collapse -
same problem
by meteo44119 / January 12, 2013 6:03 PM PST
In reply to: RE

I have the same problem of Ralphfx, what's the solution of the problem please ?
It's to a demo mode problem !! It's a firmware bug.
Thanks to resolve it shortlyple please.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.