Samsung forum

Samsung HT-C7200 not reading discs

by carlop1969 / November 11, 2012 8:51 PM PST

Can anyone help, my relatively new and very rarely used systems will not read discs. I have not used the player more than 6 times in the 2 years that I have owned it but for some reason it is not reading any discs. Do not want to believe that it is faulty but cannot think what else it can be. Any help greatly appreciated.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung HT-C7200 not reading discs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung HT-C7200 not reading discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: Samsung HT-C7200 not reading discs
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 12, 2012 5:37 AM PST

Hi carlop1969,

I'd like to help, but I'll need some more details. Can you please let me know what types the discs are that you've tried: are they regular DVDs, Blu-ray Discs, or 3D Blu-ray Discs? Also, what are the titles you've tried? What's the current firmware you're on?

HD Tech

Collapse -
by carlop1969 / November 12, 2012 7:56 PM PST

I have tried various discs both normal and blu ray. These are discs that i have previously played on the player with no issue. The current firmware is HTB-7500WWB-1000.7

Also when a disc is inserted the sound it makes is not one of continues rotation but a stop/start sound.

Hope you can help

Many thanks,

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 13, 2012 1:07 AM PST
Collapse -
by carlop1969 / November 13, 2012 5:15 AM PST

I have installed the update and I can now hear the motor spinning and definately sounds healthier, however I am still getting the message "cannot load this disc. Please check the disc." I have tried both blu ray and normal. Titles I have tried; Phone booth, Independence day, Step brothers, The day the earth stood still, rise of the footsoldiers and Reservoir dogs.

Thanks for your help so far

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 13, 2012 5:56 AM PST

Hi carlop1969,

If none of the discs are working, and you've tried the variety of discs you mentioned, unfortunately, it seems like this is a service issue. The last thing you can try is a factory reset. However, in the event that it does't work, I suggest you try this link and contact support for your country and see if they have any further steps for you:

HD Tech

Collapse -
by carlop1969 / November 14, 2012 4:21 AM PST

Thanks for your time and help, i'll try the link and see if they can help. I will be so disapointed if it is a service requirement as like I mentioned I have only used it a few times and cannot believe that it is bust. everything I have is a Samsung but this will take the shine of it :-(.

Anyway thanks for your help its been appreciated

Kindest Regards,

Collapse -
Same subject
by pts5700 / February 10, 2013 11:04 PM PST

I got the same issue after 1 year and the drive was replaces by the warenty. 1 year after, again "not reading disc" and the drive have to be replaced, but no longer on the warenty (500$)

Is it a bad construction or a bad component?
Another issue is the very noisy fan, can the wire be cut without malfunction?

I'm placed in Denmark so sorry for the poor english.

Collapse -
Same problem
by cegavara / August 24, 2013 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Same subject

I have a new one... nothing read??? CD, DVD, nothing... this is true???
This device is sold in Australia as a locked region 4 DVD and region B Blue-ray player. There is no current procedure for unlocking the Blue-ray and it is probably not necessary because over 80% of released disks are region free anyway. (Just don't ever buy the other 20% and they will get the message soon enough!)

To change the DVD from region 4 (Pacific/Australia) to region 9 (region free) follow these steps using the remote control. (Adapted from for Australian conditions).
1. Ensure that there is no disk in the tray.

2. Switch the player off and then back on. This is necessary to clean-boot the firmware.

3. Wait until the main menu page appears and the player stops doing anything.

4. Press the eject button to open the tray. (The button is between the "Power" and "TV Power" buttons at the top of the controller.)

5. Press the eject button to close the tray.

6. Wait while the player searches for a disk.

7. As soon as the "No Disk" message appears at the top left corner do the following.

8. Press the REPEAT button - just above the TV channel selector at the bottom right of the controller.

9. Enter 7 6 8 8 4 on the number pad.

10. The region code "4" should appear at the top left corner of the screen.

11. Enter a "9" to make the player region free. (Enter a region code if you want to lock the player to another region for some obscure or perverse reason.)

12. Power down and power up again.

13. Play a foreign DVD to verify the change.

Now the tricky bits. This process is timing dependent.

Firstly, you must start entering the code just after the "No Disk" message is shown and before the message disappears. If you jump the gun or miss the boat (isn't English great!) it won't work.

Secondly, the REPEAT key is part of the code. All six keys must be entered smoothly as "REPEAT 7 6 8 8 4". The entry gets timed out so you can't stop in the middle and restart. Don't bash away like crazy, just do it smoothly and briskly.

If you don't see the "4" the first time, don't worry. Just repeat the process. It took me about a dozen tries before I got it to work.

I can't guarantee that this player does not have a region change counter so I would be a bit careful about changing regions back and forth. I also can't guarantee that this will work with all released firmware. Samsung seems to take this crazy region bastardry very seriously for some reason.

For people from other parts of the world, all region codes are as follows

1 - 2 9 3 3 4
2 - 5 7 5 3 8
3 - 5 6 7 3 2
4 - 7 6 8 8 4
5 - 5 3 8 1 4
6 - 2 4 4 6 2

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.